PDA

View Full Version : Paint problems on Trailer

Wolf-
02-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Walked past the boat this morning and noticed that the paint is bubbling and flaking off the trailer. I really didn't have any large end of warranty items, but it looks like I'll end up making a trip up to have this fixed before the season starts.

06 Outback. Anyone else have this issue?

lowdrag
02-13-2007, 06:57 PM
I had some problems with mine very soon afer I got it. It was mostly paint cracking around welded joints. Water got in the cracks and started to oxidize the metal. About the only way you could tell was because of the rust stains where the water ran out on the white trailer.

On a good note, I've heard Boatmate is very good about standing behind their product. On the bad side, however, I also heard that they need to have the trailer sent back to the factory to take care of it.

Wolf-
02-13-2007, 09:15 PM
On a good note, I've heard Boatmate is very good about standing behind their product. On the bad side, however, I also heard that they need to have the trailer sent back to the factory to take care of it.

Ack! That be a problem. How to store a 4000 lbs boat.

rbc_racing
02-13-2007, 10:28 PM
What is the warranty time on their trailers? my 04 trailer paint is peeling and rusting in a few places, mainly where the paint was thin when it was painted

Wolf-
02-14-2007, 12:57 AM
What is the warranty time on their trailers? my 04 trailer paint is peeling and rusting in a few places, mainly where the paint was thin when it was painted

I think the trailer was 2 years.
One longer than base on the boat but 1 short of extended.

csumerall
03-10-2007, 01:13 AM
give owen at boatmate a call hes pretty good i had a fender get wacked a month after i bought my boat and called the dealer to order a new one. Long story short, I waited 9 months for the dealer to get me a fender without the detail paint ect. So I called about a month ago again and was still waiting until this week when I called boatmate myself, Talked to owen he said that he'd send me a new fender with everything on it free of charge. let me know if you need his number

BensonWdby
03-10-2007, 12:45 PM
If you actually trailer your boat on the road, you are going to get all kinds of road dings that will remove paint and start rusting. Granted you would like a 1 year old trailer to not show rust. But a little bit of sanding and a can of Rustoleum can save a bunch of headaches in dealing with dealers and factory. I mean it is just a trailer.....

But if you do contact factory - Owen is definitely a great guy to work with.

Dave

csumerall
03-10-2007, 03:14 PM
you can actually get boatmate to send you a small bottle of touch up paint for your specific paint color

Wolf-
03-12-2007, 12:06 AM
you can actually get boatmate to send you a small bottle of touch up paint for your specific paint color

Great thing about Boatmate is they use standard automotive pigments.
I'v got the touch up, but we are not talking road dings. We are talking 3-4 in round flakes of paint missing and bubbles all up and down the rails.

I dropped it off at the dealer last Wed as I've got a broken tail bone from snowboarding over winter break and not allowed to have any serious fun for 4-5 weeks. Figured I'd use the current down time to get it all fixed.

Of course, then, God in his humorous way, sends us high 70 and low 80 temps this week.

BensonWdby
03-12-2007, 09:00 AM
That is severe.... Sadly, unless they completely strip and repaint I bet they don't solve the problem...