PDA

View Full Version : Mojo/Makai good all around boat?

Tgardner917
08-06-2019, 08:57 PM
First time poster here! :)

I currently have a 2015 Sweetwater Godfrey Tritoon w/Yamaha 150hp. Bought it new when we bought a condo on a Smith Mountain Lake VA. We only get one slip with the condo.
My kids are 10 and 8 and getting into water sports more and more. I love my tritoon but I’ve been thinking hard of trading it in for a wake boat. I love the price point of Moomba and I’ve been looking at Mojo or Makai. My wife doesn’t want to give up the roominess or smooth ride of the tritoon. Kids and I want the sleek wake boat!
Question for the forum... does a mojo make a good all around “family boat”. I know it won’t be as smooth of a ride in chop like
The tritoon but can it still be comfortable/enjoyable cruising the lake when we aren’t doing water sports and just cruising? We normally host friends and family so 8-12 people is our normal crew as well.

Is the Makai much smoother than the mojo since it’s bigger or is the ride difference ornegligible?
I haven’t demo a ride yet but will soon btw. Just wanted to get some opinions! Thanks in advance!

larry_arizona
08-06-2019, 09:07 PM
There is a wakesurf pontoon.

But with a crew of 12, I would opt for the Makai

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schwan
08-06-2019, 09:30 PM
We do 12-14 on our mojo regularly with at least half being elementary school kids and it works. If I were buying new right now I would go with a mojo or Makai or maybe even just go big with an SL or an SE. All that being said, we are very happy with our mojo and haven't been tempted to trade... Yet.

Arcadyus
08-06-2019, 09:55 PM
12 people on our Makai would be no problem. Our boat is starting to throw a mean wave. At sea level the 400 with the new 1.76 tranny will be sweet. She's smooth and very nimble for having such a fat ass.

Lpietraszkiewicz
08-07-2019, 09:27 AM
If you are looking for the space, makai all the way. Tons of room, very open and space to store pretty much everything without having to pack stuff on the seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PuraVida
08-09-2019, 10:54 AM
12 adults in a mojo is tight after everybody brings their coolers and gear. Doable but tight. The interior of the Makai is yuge! I would own a Makai if my garage was 6" longer.

Tgardner917
08-18-2019, 09:31 PM
Thanks everyone! Now I just have to decide mojo or Makai!

Tylerrnemt
08-19-2019, 01:23 PM
Just stopped in at Prowake the other day and had my first look at the Makai.....That thing is ENOURMOUS!!!..... The Mojo is a big wakeboat to begin with but that Makai dwarfed it. It even made the Max sitting next to it look small! If size is what your after I would go Makai all the way and it also has a more modern looking hull. I think it is a fair amount more expensive than the Mojo though and you still get a heck of a boat at a great price point with the Mojo, plus the Mojo is still a very large boat with a ton of room.

Tgardner917
08-19-2019, 07:34 PM
Just stopped in at Prowake the other day and had my first look at the Makai.....That thing is ENOURMOUS!!!..... The Mojo is a big wakeboat to begin with but that Makai dwarfed it. It even made the Max sitting next to it look small! If size is what your after I would go Makai all the way and it also has a more modern looking hull. I think it is a fair amount more expensive than the Mojo though and you still get a heck of a boat at a great price point with the Mojo, plus the Mojo is still a very large boat with a ton of room.

Thanks Tyler. Did they mention how the new Makai handles with only a 400hp engine at sea level? I’m interested in that 7k of savings but also don’t want a sluggish performance.

Arcadyus
08-19-2019, 07:43 PM
Thanks Tyler. Did they mention how the new Makai handles with only a 400hp engine at sea level? I’m interested in that 7k of savings but also don’t want a sluggish performance.

My Makai with the 400, at like 600ft above sea level, with full ballast 1250 lbs of lead & 4 adults on board surfs at just under 3500 rpms. Will get to about 35 mph with same set up but need 2 passengers up front.

KnoxMojo
08-19-2019, 09:01 PM
We loved out Mojo, solid boat that did anything we asked of it. Can't go wrong with either, but the lines of the Mojo appeal to me.

Tabone
09-03-2019, 08:44 PM
I just finished the Mojo vs. Makai debate with myself. Decided on the Makai and am glad I did. Initially I was leaning toward the Mojo because it was a little smaller and thus more maneuverable. I read another post somewhere in this forum where the question was asked, "have you ever heard someone say my boat is too big?" So I started looking at the Makai and was shocked at how well that big ole tub could move around.
It is a new design so there a hand full of little things that are improved over the Mojo such as hinged seats, cell phone holders, in floor garbage, all sub floor ballast. The surf wave is amazing. Never took time to dial in the Mojo wave so I can not give a good comparison of the two. As of today we started dialing in a long steep wave that was tons of fun. If you have not decided yet, I hope this helps :)

abayard
05-19-2020, 12:42 PM
I just finished the Mojo vs. Makai debate with myself. Decided on the Makai and am glad I did. Initially I was leaning toward the Mojo because it was a little smaller and thus more maneuverable. I read another post somewhere in this forum where the question was asked, "have you ever heard someone say my boat is too big?" So I started looking at the Makai and was shocked at how well that big ole tub could move around.
It is a new design so there a hand full of little things that are improved over the Mojo such as hinged seats, cell phone holders, in floor garbage, all sub floor ballast. The surf wave is amazing. Never took time to dial in the Mojo wave so I can not give a good comparison of the two. As of today we started dialing in a long steep wave that was tons of fun. If you have not decided yet, I hope this helps :)

What's up man! Glad you are enjoying the Makai. I am in the market for one myself, and was curious what your surf setup is and if you have it completely dialed in? I keep reading that added lead / bags may be required and the 4000lbs of ballast isn't enough. What are your thoughts?

Could you post your complete setup / surf settings if you have it dialed? MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thanks again,
Andrew

Tabone
05-22-2020, 11:39 PM
Hey Andrew - This is where we are at so far. I have a thousand pounds of lead that's all towards the back. Bags get filled 100%. Tabs are at 0/0/65 and surf at 11.3. We played around with more surf tab and some center plate as well as moving the speed up and down. This is where it seems to be the best. With just three of us it surfs great and only gets better as you add friends. When I was shopping for boats, it seemed like they all needed some extra weight. Good luck!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk