PDA

View Full Version : Navigation apps?

Surgical_ass
08-05-2019, 04:17 PM
What's a good navigation app for the lake? Looking for something that shows GPS location and depth. I'm on a river and it can get crazy shallow quick. Would like to venture out a little and not be so paranoid about unfamiliar places.

sandm
08-05-2019, 04:30 PM
not going to answer your question but when I bought my first boat back in '07 I invited a friend out for the first outing to show me where on the lake I can venture and stay away from. best use of 20gallons of gas ever.
did the same thing in wisconsin on our first outing on the fox river.

nothing better than local knowledge.....

zabooda
08-05-2019, 04:38 PM
Avenza Maps. You will need to locate geoPDF maps that interact either through the app or linked a location on your phone. No cellular required. NOAA has the navigable waterways on their site. We use it now for dive rescue. The geoPDFs are different than regular PDFs but Avenza will tell you if they are incompatible. Avenza only uses the gps function and then the map is the back ground and your tracking is an overlay (layer).

haknslash
08-05-2019, 04:56 PM
I use Skipper. It’s free and gets me by for my local lakes and the Gulf. I wouldn’t mind navionics but until I really need it I’ll just spend my money on something else.

Surgical_ass
08-05-2019, 05:45 PM
Thanks! I've heard of Navionics but not the others.

larry_arizona
08-05-2019, 06:00 PM
Doing the free trial of navionics right now. So far so good, the new one is $22 a year.

I have been on 12 lakes in 13 months of owning this boat (aka lakewhore) and just found navionics.

The preloaded maps are very handy, but navionics is good for some pre scouting of new lakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birdman
08-05-2019, 09:05 PM
navionics hands down best app for out on the water and i have never paid a yearly subscription just buy the app download your area and done

larry_arizona
08-05-2019, 09:06 PM
navionics hands down best app for out on the water and i have never paid a yearly subscription just buy the app download your area and done

Great idea. Just found I can buy my region

PuraVida
08-06-2019, 10:04 AM
+1 for navionics. Maps can be downloaded for offline use. Still need to be careful, some lake are more accurate than others.

larry_arizona
08-06-2019, 10:23 AM
Navionics is already pre loaded on the Supra’s it’s just nice to have the same map on your phone.

Surgical_ass
08-06-2019, 10:56 AM
Just started the free navionics trial. So far it seems to be what I'm looking for.

Matt0520
08-06-2019, 12:52 PM

This. Waypoints and reverse course navigation is so easy