PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Makai rear port ballast pump

Lpietraszkiewicz
08-04-2019, 06:49 PM
Anyone have any issues with your ballast pumps on the new makai? My rear port side pump keeps running unless I disconnect it. There are two pumps per side so the one still works. Checked the toggle switch and that’s all good. Hopefully it’s a short and not something with the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dakota4ce
08-04-2019, 07:01 PM
Anyone have any issues with your ballast pumps on the new makai? My rear port side pump keeps running unless I disconnect it. There are two pumps per side so the one still works. Checked the toggle switch and that’s all good. Hopefully it’s a short and not something with the screen.

Yep! Had the same. You can pull fuses to make it usable with one pump. Mine needed a new ballast relay box on that side.

Lpietraszkiewicz
08-04-2019, 07:50 PM
Yep! Had the same. You can pull fuses to make it usable with one pump. Mine needed a new ballast relay box on that side.

Once again you have the answers to everything haha. Thank you for the quick reply Mitch!!!! And good luck with the new toy!!

flienlow
08-05-2019, 03:21 PM

What he said.
Had the same issue on the max. Needs a new relay box.

dakota4ce
08-05-2019, 03:58 PM
Once again you have the answers to everything haha. Thank you for the quick reply Mitch!!!! And good luck with the new toy!!

Thank you! I encountered the mysterious perpetually emptying ballast pump a few months ago. It was a great mystery for a while.

dakota4ce
08-05-2019, 03:59 PM
If you pull the correct two fuses you can live your life just fine on one pump while you wait for your new part.

haknslash
08-10-2019, 07:18 PM
Had this happen to my Max today. Thankfully was aware of this issue and knew where to pull the fuse. We cut the day short and dropped it off at the dealer on the way home. We have a weekend trip planned at the end of the month so figured I better drop it off now to get the relay module replaced and have her back in time for the trip. Guess there is a bad batch of relay modules affecting some of us 2019 owners.

z28ke
08-10-2019, 09:47 PM
Had this happen to my Max today. Thankfully was aware of this issue and knew where to pull the fuse. We cut the day short and dropped it off at the dealer on the way home. We have a weekend trip planned at the end of the month so figured I better drop it off now to get the relay module replaced and have her back in time for the trip. Guess there is a bad batch of relay modules affecting some of us 2019 owners.

Where is the fuse? Y’all have me paranoid now lol

I’m sure I could find it but cutting to the chase could really save my mental attitude if it happens on the water!

haknslash
08-10-2019, 10:17 PM
Where is the fuse? Y’all have me paranoid now lol

I’m sure I could find it but cutting to the chase could really save my mental attitude if it happens on the water!

It's on the port rear locker wall. See flienlow's video https://youtu.be/iRiVHNU6asg

Once you remove the panel you can see the fuses and there is writing on the relay box next to the fuses. For mine I had to pull the "port fill" fuse which was the upper most fuse. I could see water in my ballast line down by the bag but the pump was acting like it was draining even though the ballast switch was OFF. When I flipped it to fill, same thing, just stuck on drain or wouldn't drain. Flipped it to drain and it audibly sounded different like it was pulling air from the bag and actually trying to drain. This is also how I discovered that the ballast fill numbers and animation on the screen don't mean anything. They are just tied to the ballast fill time and don't indicate an actual fill level. Mine showed 100% filled when clearly it wasn't.

It's a shame the little circular plastic removable cover on the rear wall is not quite lined up with the ballast fuse/relay module otherwise you likely wouldn't need to remove the whole rear panel. The plus is that the Max rear locker is massively deep so it makes working in there pretty easy. I don't know if this is just a 2019 thing but I don't recall seeing it for the 2018's. Hopefully you're good to go. My dealer said they were aware of the issue by reading some posts on here and on the FB group but nobody has had the issue at their dealership, until now lol. I always get to be the first :D. People who have had theirs replaced said its been working fine for them ever since so I'm hoping this was just a bad batch of modules during the 2019 builds.

z28ke
08-12-2019, 08:08 AM
It's on the port rear locker wall. See flienlow's video https://youtu.be/iRiVHNU6asg

Once you remove the panel you can see the fuses and there is writing on the relay box next to the fuses. For mine I had to pull the "port fill" fuse which was the upper most fuse. I could see water in my ballast line down by the bag but the pump was acting like it was draining even though the ballast switch was OFF. When I flipped it to fill, same thing, just stuck on drain or wouldn't drain. Flipped it to drain and it audibly sounded different like it was pulling air from the bag and actually trying to drain. This is also how I discovered that the ballast fill numbers and animation on the screen don't mean anything. They are just tied to the ballast fill time and don't indicate an actual fill level. Mine showed 100% filled when clearly it wasn't.

It's a shame the little circular plastic removable cover on the rear wall is not quite lined up with the ballast fuse/relay module otherwise you likely wouldn't need to remove the whole rear panel. The plus is that the Max rear locker is massively deep so it makes working in there pretty easy. I don't know if this is just a 2019 thing but I don't recall seeing it for the 2018's. Hopefully you're good to go. My dealer said they were aware of the issue by reading some posts on here and on the FB group but nobody has had the issue at their dealership, until now lol. I always get to be the first :D. People who have had theirs replaced said its been working fine for them ever since so I'm hoping this was just a bad batch of modules during the 2019 builds.

Thank u sir

vwalker73
07-18-2022, 10:14 AM
I'm thinking this is happening to my 2019 Mojo. The port rear bag is filling without any warning. The Manual toggles are off and the pump is stilling running. If I pull fuses on the the relay will I still be able to fill or drain the port bag? I am equipped with the G6 pump system?

haknslash
07-18-2022, 11:14 AM
No sure way to answer as it seems the issue can be slightly different at the relay module sending on what / if anything has friend or melted. Worse case you let the bags empty into the bilge and let the bilge pump handle it.

vwalker73
07-18-2022, 11:20 AM
No sure way to answer as it seems the issue can be slightly different at the relay module sending on what / if anything has friend or melted. Worse case you let the bags empty into the bilge and let the bilge pump handle it.

I was able to get it on a lift disconnect the port drain and pull the center hull drain plug. During this time is when I realized the pump stayed on.

Assuming nothing is fried or melted would the other pumps handle the ballast ( with pulled fuses) until I can get this repaired?

JimLevin
06-10-2023, 09:30 PM
So what’s the fix on this, DIY or dealer fix? Experienced the “never-ended-port-side-pump” today. Any coverage or help for Skier’s on this issue? Happened today when we flipped the port side switch. Pump wouldn’t cut off unless the battery was switched off. Pulled the fuse, Thank you to this post! Put in a new one and it immediately blew it (fuse 2nd from top).

haknslash
06-11-2023, 08:45 PM
If it’s blowing fuses immediately it’s for sure fried and melted inside causing a direct short. Only fix is to replace it. Should still be within your 5 year parts warranty (some got 7 on boat specials). I think the cause was too small of wire and terminal connections which I think they resolved with the replacement units since 2020 era I think.

Ever since I had mine replaced I made sure to use increased RPM’s during filling or draining since these pumps all draw a lot of power at once through that module.

JimLevin
07-24-2023, 09:36 AM
So I replaced the ballast relay (behind the port side ballast panel- 2019 Makai). Ballast issue resolved. Easy fix. $400 online. Dealer wanted $1,600 just for the part. Not covered by warranty. New issue is the port side is filling much slower than the starboard. Screen will show 100% but boat will clearly list to starboard side and when you look, port bag about 2/3 filled. Bags are filling but I usually have to manually finish off the port side with the switch. I have adjusted the timers and even done a full reset to no avail. Possibly…did I lose one of the port side pumps (like it was fried/burned up) when the ballast relay died when it was shorting fuses? Impellers are new (less than 1 month-green).

larry_arizona
07-24-2023, 10:16 AM
Sounds like you have a pump down or a voltage problem. Should be easy to verify both pumps are running as well as measuring voltage at each pump on that side.

Holdmybeer
07-24-2023, 07:50 PM
Sounds like you found the reason your relay fried.
Seems like a pump was going out and pulled more current than the relay could handle, melting the relay.

haknslash
07-25-2023, 05:42 AM
So I replaced the ballast relay (behind the port side ballast panel- 2019 Makai). Ballast issue resolved. Easy fix. $400 online. Dealer wanted $1,600 just for the part. Not covered by warranty. New issue is the port side is filling much slower than the starboard. Screen will show 100% but boat will clearly list to starboard side and when you look, port bag about 2/3 filled. Bags are filling but I usually have to manually finish off the port side with the switch. I have adjusted the timers and even done a full reset to no avail. Possibly…did I lose one of the port side pumps (like it was fried/burned up) when the ballast relay died when it was shorting fuses? Impellers are new (less than 1 month-green).

Where did you buy the relay module?

JimLevin
07-25-2023, 09:20 AM
Where did you buy the relay module?

WaterSkis.com

JimLevin
07-30-2023, 11:36 PM
So port bag wouldn’t fill at all today. Pulled the covers and saw pumps running but one was very warm, no water, one of the 2 pumps had shredded its impeller. These are brand new, only 2 moths old from wavemakers. What causes this? Defective impeller? 3090430905

TXSurf4
07-31-2023, 11:36 AM
So port bag wouldn’t fill at all today. Pulled the covers and saw pumps running but one was very warm, no water, one of the 2 pumps had shredded its impeller. These are brand new, only 2 moths old from wavemakers. What causes this? Defective impeller? 3090430905

I am not sure but I have never seen orange impellers in my pumps. The ones I have pulled out are green and the replacements that I have put in are green. Are you sure they were the right impellers for the pumps?

JimLevin
07-31-2023, 12:38 PM
I am not sure but I have never seen orange impellers in my pumps. The ones I have pulled out are green and the replacements that I have put in are green. Are you sure they were the right impellers for the pumps?

Yes, the original was green, newer is orange. Spoke to wavemakers and they said orange is the newest version and backwards compatible with all pumps in that line. Supposedly a little better than the green impellers, green better than the black. See this thread too: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?28999-Impeller-Question-for-Pumps-on-my-2014-LSV&highlight=orange+green+impeller -->> from that post:

Green was the first replacement on the market, then orange came after that. Different manufacturer.
One is $24 (on sale) the other is $29. Not really a big difference if you have to buy 3.
Either one is better if you have the orig black impeller - if your boat has those.

There is no difference in performance. People have called Wakemakers on the phone. There was an older thread about this.

The orange is compatible on both pumps. From the site:
Impeller Part # Cross References
Replaces Jabsco 6303-0001, Johnson Pump 09-824P-1, CEF 500110, Oberdorfer 7482
Pump Part # Cross References
This part is a direct replacement for the impeller in any Johnson Ultra Ballast Pump or Jabsco Ballast Puppy pump that begins with 18220, including: 18220-1123, 18670-0123 and 18670-6127

Green has the same notes, You can get the green with a new 0-ring and lube. Different part #. More $.
Wakemakers NOTE: The Jabsco Green Ballast Impeller is also the replacement upgrade impeller for the Johnson Ultra Ballast Reversible Pump. Jabsco Ballast Puppy Impellers have been confirmed compatible with Johnson Ultra Ballast Pumps.

Pick your favorite color, no one will ever see it but you. I purchased Orange.

HFarr
07-31-2023, 02:33 PM
Man! Those are super shredded! Did something get in there? That or something just wasn't lined up at all. But Im trying to picture in my head how they could be misaligned. Not really seeing it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk