PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Moomba Craz PRO VS 2019 Axis T22

Moomba00
08-01-2019, 10:52 AM
Hello All,

Need your input, advice, and opinions.

I am stuck between these two boats. The Craz Pro is 3K more in price. I have demoed the T22, I will not be able to demo the Craz Pro. Both are brand new.

My main question is which one will perform better in terms of surfing. I thought the T22 wave was very good.

The Craz Pro does have the 3.0 flow system. Not sure if this is a big deal or not.

Please enlighten me. Pros and cons of each boat for those who have had experience.

Than you in advance.

parrothd
08-01-2019, 11:12 AM
Hello All,

Need your input, advice, and opinions.

I am stuck between these two boats. The Craz Pro is 3K more in price. I have demoed the T22, I will not be able to demo the Craz Pro. Both are brand new.

My main question is which one will perform better in terms of surfing. I thought the T22 wave was very good.

The Craz Pro does have the 3.0 flow system. Not sure if this is a big deal or not.

Please enlighten me. Pros and cons of each boat for those who have had experience.

Than you in advance.

Craz and autowake for the win.

RC_Hinojosa
08-01-2019, 11:54 AM

Than you in advance.

Are you sure?!? I thought the main mechanical difference of the Pro was the inclusion of 3.0 ?

[emoji2369]

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk

jason1973
08-01-2019, 01:12 PM
it is, and also that it comes pretty loaded with options. I haven't seen the T22 wake, but i have seen the craz wake it with the right ballast its very good.

peteyt328
08-01-2019, 03:43 PM
Both will throw a great wave with the right setup, I'd put my Craz up against anything in the 22ft segment. The quality of the interior and the feel inside the boat is what pushed me towards the Moomba. Not to mention that Axis tower is not very aesthetically pleasing :)

Shoebox
08-01-2019, 07:44 PM
Craz wave is just as good, overall boat feeling/fit/finish/experience is far superior to the Axis.

DFTR Josh
08-02-2019, 12:24 AM
The Craz Pro is a beast with the 3.0 and heard the Makai is coming with the option of 3.0. I suggest to ride and drive both but pay attention to how they drive while surfing. The Axis is a wonderful wave but IMO the drive is horriable with the surf system deployed. Keep us updated on what you choose.

costanza
08-02-2019, 09:10 AM
I've surfed the T22 and loved the surf wave. For just surf wave I'd give props to the Axis - they really make an awesome wave. Moomba's are good (I'm on my 3rd Moomba) but that's more to do with budget constraints. The Axis / Malibu's have a big weight issue at the front end of the boat when driving. They lack enough weight up there and the nose pops up - The surf Wedge only makes that worse - they do what they can to counter this by putting batteries up front now, having elevated seat, etc, but it's still an issue when driving especially while surfing. Malibu / Axis make an AWESOME wave for their size... My buddy's 21 foot Malibu VLX has a better surf wake than my Mojo wave (I surf with over 4000 pounds of ballasts too with a wake shaper), but hey - I paid 35+k less than him and have a bigger boat...

The Moomba will drive better when surfing for sure, I'm not convinced the wave would be as good on the Moomba though...

Try to test drive both, and make sure they're weighted similar... The Wedge works really well on the Malibu / Axis - adds the weight without adding the weight so you surf at lower rpm's = less gas. Negative is the front end is too light and flies high, but the surf wave really is awesome...

Good luck!! It's a win /win - you'll love whatever boat you choose!

schwan
08-02-2019, 10:37 AM
I'll give my 0.02 since it's a little different than others. I have a 16 mojo and I surf an 18 T22 and 19 T23 regularly, all are pretty well set up to their potential. They are all within 5% of each other but the T23 wins out by just a bit on wave alone. On these axis boats, neither surf with the wedge and put a lot of lead in the nose so bow height isn't too bad, but definitely still worse than my mojo. If driving characteristics matter to you while surfing, get a moomba, bow rise and just trying to turn while surfing an axis is rough but doable. Moomba is very easy to drive while surfing. We prefer fit/finish of moomba to axis. All said and done it was a close call for us but we landed on moomba and are very happy.

Also, be prepared to add weight to that Craz if you get it, axis doesn't need as much weight, any moomba does because of how their tab system works and also because of marketing for number of passengers and how axis and moomba do that different.

Shoebox
08-02-2019, 11:22 AM
The Wedge works really well on the Malibu / Axis - adds the weight without adding the weight so you surf at lower rpm's = less gas. That's not true at all. The wedge is a giant drag on the boat, as is the surf gate. The A22 I demoed recently only had pnp 500s in the rear lockers above the stock ballast, plus wedge and was turning over 4k rpms. Check out the Boardco videos comparing fuel consumption. Malibu (and Axis, becuase they have the same setup) use a LOT of gas.

jason1973
08-02-2019, 11:57 AM
you can't use tons of ballast on the axis because you don't want to sink the surf gate. Something to remember. But i will say if you are looking for quality craftsmanship in a boat, Axis ain't it. I love all boats and it pains me to say that, but the quality is just poor. Before i bought my mondo i was dead set on an A20 until i looked at a few of them. If you go axis, look at everything, under the seats, dash, welt lines.. make sure its good before you take delivery.

haknslash
08-02-2019, 01:59 PM
The interior and quality of materials and build alone would steer me away from an Axis. I test drove the A22 and the Max. Wave looked bigger on the Axis stock for stock but looks don’t mean much for a wave. What drove me to Moomba was the drastically apparent difference in build and materials. An Axis comes with a ton of plastic and a horribly designed tower. Go test drive both and look at it from more than just a wave perspective and you’ll see the Moomba is a better built boat. In terms of fuel usage the Moomba will sip by comparison to the wedge on a Axis or Malibu. The wedge simulates ballast by being a reverse hydrofoil which pulls the stern of the boat down into the water which also creates a lot of drag (burns more fuel). It drives like you have a parachute down in the water handling pretty strange and you can certainly feel it driving both back to back.

Prospersigman
08-02-2019, 04:20 PM
Bow rise, bow rise, bow rise...did I say bow rise?

I have 2 buddies that are Malibu die hards...they both ordered brand new 2019 23 LSVs. Great wave with the front hard tank, piggy backs in the rear and an additional 300lbs of lead, but...the bow rise is terrible. The new drivers seat on the 2019 Malibu's (not sure if the Axis have it) goes up insanely high, like so high I'm 6' and my feet do not touch the floor. The reason it goes that high...so you can see over the bow rise. Two other things...no storage in those boats and good luck steering into the side that the surf gate is deployed on...the boat simply does not turn to that side until it retracts back in. It also takes a few seconds longer for the surf wave to form due to the slower deploying of the surf gate.

larry_arizona
08-02-2019, 04:59 PM
Bow rise, bow rise, bow rise...did I say bow rise?

I have 2 buddies that are Malibu die hards...they both ordered brand new 2019 23 LSVs. Great wave with the front hard tank, piggy backs in the rear and an additional 300lbs of lead, but...the bow rise is terrible. The new drivers seat on the 2019 Malibu's (not sure if the Axis have it) goes up insanely high, like so high I'm 6' and my feet do not touch the floor. The reason it goes that high...so you can see over the bow rise. Two other things...no storage in those boats and good luck steering into the side that the surf gate is deployed on...the boat simply does not turn to that side until it retracts back in. It also takes a few seconds longer for the surf wave to form due to the slower deploying of the surf gate.

I was watching a newer Mastercraft X22 surf yesterday and the bow was high. The driver was standing to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kxmoomba
08-02-2019, 05:56 PM
I spent 3 summers on an Axis (friends) before we were in a position to buy a brand new boat and we were dead set on an Axis. Love that wave and still might be my favorite wave. We ended up in a Moomba and all I can say is I am glad we are. The wave is super fun but the boat for the money makes me feel like I am in a high end boat compared to the Axis. I have yet to take a wave over the bow on my Max but swamped the Axis in emergency pick up situations every time. One other benefit is that our dealer is freaking awesome to work with. Prestige Water Sports is hands down the best customer service shop I have ever dealt with and that to me says a lot because I am in sales for a living and customer service is key so you might want to think about that too.