PDA

View Full Version : Steam Clean Carpets

INlakeOutback
02-08-2007, 10:49 AM
Has any one steam cleaned their carpets in their boat? I want to rent a steam cleaner to clean the carpets in my 02 moomba however I am woried about loosing the glue that is holding it down.

Thanks for any insight!

deepcove
02-09-2007, 12:17 AM
I steam clean mine 2-3 times per year and I am on year 4 without any problems. I also fully soak the carpet with a hose and suck up with the wet vac 4-5 times prior to steam cleaning ( cause I ride in salt).

INlakeOutback
02-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Sounds like steam will not hurt, I also like the idea of shampoo. Thanks alot!

JoeTechie
02-09-2007, 01:39 PM
And not to get all material physics, but fiberglass cloth can withstand about 700 degrees F before changing tensile strength. Resin about 380-400.

Not sure about gel coat though.

My worry would be the carpet glue. Even though the steam is short lived heat, it will deteriorate the bonding agent. I'm sure that a few times will really not shorten the lifespan that greatly, but it IS effecting it.

Shampoo is best - or just use Marine Spray Nine and a scrub brush! The stuff is AMAZING, and safe.

-Joe

qb12
02-09-2007, 01:56 PM
an older thread about cleaning boat carpets came up with an interesting idea...
haul the boat to a do it yourself car wash and pressure wash the carpet using the soap and rinse cycles.

i have done what ed said and it really looked great. also seemed to add the fluff back.

joe, what is marine spray nine. never heard of it.

JoeTechie
02-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Marine Spray Nine (www.spraynine.com)

Info here
http://204.202.239.40/product_info.php?cPath=69&products_id=340&osCsid=25a61c54734a453b9dfdf81f647bbfdb

Best price here:
http://www.marinepowerservice.com/BoatingStore/browse_detail1.cfm/profileID/95973.cfm
(get two and save shipping later)

Actually watch mold and mildew get pulled from vinyl, and wipe off ! Removes oil, skuffs, pretty much anything on a boat, AND it disinfects so it is harder to grow back or get more. I spray it anywhere water gets in the boat. Strong, but not harsh or caustic at all. My dealer told me about it and the stuff is a miracle worker !

"Thanks Bob and Rob!"

-Joe

(disclaimer: make sure to wipe over any treated vinyl with clean water a second time, then fully dry and then use 303 to protect)

qb12
02-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Joe, sounds interesting.

appreciate the info.

doug

Buttafewcoe
02-10-2007, 09:05 AM
I've done what Ed said also. And a bucket of water and laundry soap w/ lots o water for rinse in the driveway (kinda labor intensive) 2. Both methods yield excellent results. The 'pressure washing' of the d.i.y. car wash seemed a little harsh so I limit that method over the T.L.C. of the hand massage.
Love yer boat
B

NH Moomba
02-11-2007, 12:44 AM
I just wait for a sunny day, turn on the bilge pump and wheel my pressure washer out on the dock. It works just fine. It is dry in a few hours.