PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood KCA-iP500 iPod Adapter

JesseC
02-08-2007, 01:31 AM
Well after dealing with a summers worth of static from the iPod FM modulator being cranked through the amps I have had it. So I ordered the Kenwood KCA-iP500 adapter hoping to solve all of the iPod problems I have been having. The first issue is the static and the second issue was alway unplugging the cigarette adapter to plug in a cam corder or digital camera and losing the iPod while this is going on.

Well after I ordered the kenwood adapter I stumbled across all of the negative reviews about how it disables the iPod controls and forces you to navigate some god awful interface using the radio. Well crap.....glad I had already ordered it. Anyway, I got in in and plugged it in to the radio and it charged and played clear as a bell, but sure enough the iPod was disabled so you could not use the iPod interface, but had to use the horrible radio interface. So like Ed and the rest of the guys, I naturally took the adapter apart to try and figure out how to bypass the interface. By removing one green wire, the iPod was released and I could once again use the iPod interface....hooooray!!! Only problem now is that the radio can no longer control the iPod....crap....oh well at least the cigarette lighter will be freed up and no more FM modulator. To me worth the 40 bucks...heck it was cheaper than the modulator and it functions exactly as the modulator did!!! No more static and I dont't have to use the mini plug jack, just the 30 pin connector......I am pleased.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/adapter004.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/adapter005.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/adapter001.jpg

JoeTechie
02-08-2007, 02:02 AM
Isn't that the Same as
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2006/113/l113CAC1AX-f_dg.jpeg

Plus
http://www.lacomputercompany.com/rpphotos/MCE_LGX-78911.jpg

but without the box, or the need to cut wires and $10 cheaper.

;)

Oh, and I set mine up so that I can plug anything into the now glovebox mounted RCA jacks.

FM Modulators are "Mr. Microphone" technology - and that is the quality you get. "lame."

-Joe

Buttafewcoe
02-08-2007, 08:15 AM
So glad I went the cd/mp3 route. Hope you find what you're looking for.
B

JesseC
02-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Isn't that the Same as

Plus

but without the box, or the need to cut wires and $10 cheaper.

;)

Oh, and I set mine up so that I can plug anything into the now glovebox mounted RCA jacks.

FM Modulators are "Mr. Microphone" technology - and that is the quality you get. "lame."

-Joe

I thought about going that route, but you can not charge the iPod also, I had already ordered the stupid thing when I realized that it disabled the iPod interface so rather that admit defeat and return the thing, I took it upon myself to correct the issue. :D For the record, I did not "cut" any wires, I just pulled a pin out of the connector and taped it off. 8) As many hours as we spend on the water the iPod would never make it. Especially if we went for 2 or more days. Our iPod may be getting older and the battery can not handle it and I did not want to plug in the mini plug and the 30 pin connector, too many wires. I will work on a mount in the next couple of days. I figured I would just post my findings on the KCA-iP500. The only issue I have noted so far is that the head unit displays E-60 instead of the song track or title, but I can not see the head unit in the glove box anyway.....

I wish i could "split" the cd changer input on the radio so I could add the RCA inputs as well. Maybe I will hack one of those next week!!

Nafplio
02-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Take a look at my install. The iPod is always charged while I have total control of it. I never liked the location of the head unit on the boat.

04OUTBACK
02-24-2007, 05:32 PM
JesseC
Are the cables for the KCA-ip500 long enough to run to the drivers side? I have been using my ipod in a TuneDock FM in the drivers side cig lighter plug. I like having it where I can access while driving... I would like to go to a more permanent/ better wired solution for my Ipod. I see many use the RCA to Ipod connector. Trying to make up my mind to do before summer comes. Ready to RIDE!

BW
Mississippi

JesseC
02-25-2007, 11:34 PM
JesseC
Are the cables for the KCA-ip500 long enough to run to the drivers side? Mississippi

I ran down stairs and measured the cables. The cable between the "box" and the CD Changer plug is 3 feet. The other cable between the "box" and the iPod is 8 feet. It will probably be too short to go that far. However, I have seen the cable extensions for the CD Changers. If your iPod has good batteries or you want to use two cables, you may want to go the route Nafplio did in his link. I plan on leaving the iPod on the passenger side. I did not want it on the drivers side and I am trying to minimize cables. Don't forget that the radio shows an error code while in use if you remove the wire to regain control on the ipod. If you use the radio interface like it is designed to do, I am pretty sure you would yank the thing out and throw it in the lake. The interface through the radio is absolutely horrible.

04OUTBACK
02-26-2007, 12:03 AM
JESSE
Thanks for the data. After reading a bunch of reviews, I think I am going to go the route of Nafplio... I found a path to run the wires from passenger to drivers side today. I Would rather have it where I can see/control it at the helm.

Thanks for measuring and for the info. I am thinking for power, I'll put an additional cigarette lighter plug down below the dash to run power to. I looked at some Ipod 12v dc cables today and they don't see like they would be too easy to hard wire, although I may try and skip the cig lighter..

Thanks.
BW

fleurymonster
03-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi there Jesse. I was wondering if you could post a picture of the wire you disconnected in the interface box. I, like you, had already ordered the cord and then found out all the negative things about it. I was thinking of doing the same as you and disconnecting the green wire. Thanks.

JesseC
03-08-2007, 07:57 PM
I have not tested this with the boat running!! I would suggest that you pull the wire terminal and all out of the plug so that it could be put back if you encounter any issues (the green wire that is third from the end). So far all I have noticed is that the radio shows an error code while the Ipod is in use. If you make the modification and can run the boat, I would appreciate a reply with your findings. Good luck. Privat message me if you need any assistance and I will send you my phone number.

This is the image from above.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/adapter001.jpg

Here is a blown up view of the bottom left corner.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/adapter2mod.jpg

06 OB LSV
04-16-2007, 06:46 PM
You mentioned that if you remove the green wire, that the display on the stereo head unit reads "Error 60". Is this only while using the I-Pod or all the time? If you use the radio or CD player does it still read "Error 60" or can you see the display? My boat is still in storage. I cannot remember much about the stereo. Do you have to select "CD Changer" or something if you using this port (for the KCA-iP500) on the head unit?

Thanks,
Bob

JesseC
04-16-2007, 10:17 PM
You mentioned that if you remove the green wire, that the display on the stereo head unit reads "Error 60". Is this only while using the I-Pod or all the time? If you use the radio or CD player does it still read "Error 60" or can you see the display? My boat is still in storage. I cannot remember much about the stereo. Do you have to select "CD Changer" or something if you using this port (for the KCA-iP500) on the head unit?

Thanks,
Bob

The E60 is only displayed while the iPod is in use. When you are listening to a CD or the radio, the radio fuinctions like normal. To use the iPod, you have to use the CD Changer function. I am really thinking about cutting my losses and getting the cable that Joe Techie found. Let me know if you need anything else.

06 OB LSV
04-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Has anyone tried this? It is only $30.00 at Crutchfield. Only downside is the cable is only 50" long. It allows you to control on the iPod instead of the face plate of the stereo.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2XuUqiDtDw2/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=305250&I=127ICKENW&search=PAC+iPod+Adapter

PAC iPodŽ adapter for Kenwood stereos
Charges your iPod while sending the audio to your stereo
Item #127ICKENW

In Stock

$29.99

04OUTBACK
04-17-2007, 08:46 AM
06 ob lsv,
i have that product but it terminates with RCA and then I added a Kenwood adapter. This way I was able to put a RCA cable between so I could run from Drivers side under to the stereo. The product I have is from PAC and it is the iC-RCA. It too provides 12v power and allows control on the Ipod. I am very pleased with the sound quality. ( I connected to my home stereo first!)

BW

jimmym
05-02-2007, 07:03 PM
Has anyone else had success with removing the "green" wire??? I tried it today, and no luck... all I got was an E-60 and no sound. Was there any other trick to this that was not mentioned earlier??? :cry: (i did just remove the clip from the base of the plug, so no harm done, i just put it back when it didn't work) BUT if this does work, I think it would be worth while to mod the IP500 with a little switch that would "connect" or "disconnect" this one wire.... this would make the IP500 perfect!!!

What does everyone else think????

JesseC
05-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Jimmy, which iPod are you using ours is the iPod video and I tested it again this evening and did not have any issues. I would like to find out why mine works and yours does not so that we can put togethe a works/doesn't work list that is more accurate. I will pull the IP500 out of the boat tomorrow and verify the "green" wire. Thanks for giving it a try!!

jimmym
05-03-2007, 10:28 AM
I also have a video ipod... the 80g 5th gen.

Is there a special order that you must do? like have the radio turned off... then plug ipod in... because I had the radio on while I plugged the ipod in and I got nothing.

If I can get this working... I am going to put an inline switch on mine so that I can use the ipod OR the kenwood deck.

Thanks for checking for me.

JesseC
05-03-2007, 12:11 PM
I never though about putting a switch inline on the wire. That would make it a little more useful to me as well.

I will verify the wire and the steps this evening.

JesseC
05-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Alright, I just got back upstairs from testing the iPod and everything worked fine. However, I did find a way to not get any sound!! If the radio is already in the "Disc" mode and you plug in the iPod nothing happens...no sound, but if you hit the source button and go to the tuner and then back to disc, it starts playing loud and clear. It seems that you have to have the ipod plugged in and running before you switch the source to Disc. I also tested it with a CD in the player and it worked fine as well.

The "green" wire that I pulled out of the harness was in a 9 wire plug that was labeled CN4 on the circuit board. There is another "Green" wire that I DID NOT remove in an 8 wire plug that is labeled R1 I think. Also, both of the switches on the selector are in the down position.

Let me know if you get it working.

Note: I am pretty sure that our iPod is a 4th gen. Not sure if it matters.