PDA

View Full Version : Do we need additional moderators?

larry_arizona
07-20-2019, 11:01 AM
The spam is out of control.

25+ right now, lol
Just a suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arcadyus
07-20-2019, 11:40 AM
Yeah no shit. If I wanna see the fight I'm not coming here for the fucking link.

haknslash
07-20-2019, 11:53 AM
It really is bad and annoying.

The forum needs an update and much better authentication.

zabooda
07-20-2019, 03:45 PM
Years past I saw it worse than this. It comes and goes but nothing was ever done for authentication. The initial post should be reviewed. It's very distracting and viewers drop.

asteggall
07-20-2019, 05:35 PM
No shit! That is ridiculous. I thought the spam on the V forum was getting bad lol.

schwan
07-21-2019, 09:58 AM
Agreed, there is an easy fix, we just need someone who runs things around here to implement them. Basically just better new member authorization, and review of new member first post.

haknslash
07-21-2019, 11:13 AM
Of the admins on this forum, only 1 has been online this year (matts) aside from the "Moomba Press" account. The rest of the admins last time they were online was over a year ago and some several years ago. I don't think anyone maintains or actively tries to keep this forum up to date in regards to updates, better security and spam control. I'm not sure what all the Super Moderators can do on the admin control panel side but maybe they can fix this forum? It's a shame nobody really tries to do more for this place. It's like it is stuck back in 2010 vbulletin era.

In the year 2019 we shouldn't be dealing with spam bots getting through. There should also have a much better interactive system in place for Likes, Ratings, etc so that this place feels more modern. I bet people would be more willing to interact then. We shouldn't have to jump through hoops and 3rd party hosting to upload images on a forum and use such archaic limitations such as 4 pic limits in 2019. Bandwidth and space is not a concern in this day and age and hosting is nothing for a company like SC. And for the love of god there should not be a damn timer on how long you can edit your freaking post!!!!! Just seems nobody there cares to run the social media aspect unless it's FakeBook, Twitter or InstaLame but I digress.

sandm
07-21-2019, 12:31 PM
it's been this way since I joined over 10 years ago. the spam comes and goes.
admins have been pretty hands-off and get that I'd rather see skiers building boats than moderating a forum hence assigning moderators but of the current list of them:
mmandly hasn't been on here in 2 months.
moombadaze hasn't posted in almost a year.
KG is active :)
Doctrs is somewhat active
boonejeepn is somewhat active
berg is on here :)

really need to boot a few of them and find a few more from the active members if nothing is going to change on the first post side. it's a process that should be reviewed every few years as guys move on, buy other brands(ya, shouldn't moderate a moomba forum if you own another brand imo and just get busy with life.
:)

larry_arizona
07-21-2019, 01:24 PM
I get it that mods aren’t paid for their time and efforts. 1000% understand that it’s the height of boating season and focus should be on boat time.

I mod on another forum and it’s often a PITA, but doing it helps make a better community experience.

996scott
07-21-2019, 05:41 PM
the answer to the question is ....YES.

zabooda
07-21-2019, 09:14 PM
I would assume the inability to post pictures is their server is full. It takes time to run a web site but once it is up they should maintain it.

MJHSupra
07-21-2019, 11:38 PM
Old technology

Boonejeepin
07-22-2019, 10:51 AM
I just banned what seems to be the equivalent of the population of a small Eastern European country.

larry_arizona
07-22-2019, 10:55 AM
I just banned what seems to be the equivalent of the population of a small Eastern European country.

Thank you sir!!!!

trayson
07-22-2019, 12:04 PM
mmandly hasn't been on here in 2 months.

True. Mike isn't active on the forum much. he's just moving into his new house and with his new job travels internationally a lot. I think that since he moved from Oregon to Georgia, it really took him away from the forums.

It would make sense for Mods to be people that are active and have the TIME to devote to the thankless job... No offense to people that have served and now find themselves pulled in other directions now.

costanza
07-22-2019, 12:20 PM
Would that help with getting the Wakemakers discount code too? I submitted some requests for discount code a few weeks ago and have never heard back... Do mods give out that code as well?

haknslash
07-22-2019, 12:24 PM

LOL

Thanks man!

trayson
07-22-2019, 12:27 PM
Would that help with getting the Wakemakers discount code too? I submitted some requests for discount code a few weeks ago and have never heard back... Do mods give out that code as well?

The discount code is the same as it's been for the past few years. Not sure why that would be a problem. I looked at it last week on Wakemakers and it worked just fine.

costanza
07-22-2019, 01:31 PM
The discount code is the same as it's been for the past few years. Not sure why that would be a problem. I looked at it last week on Wakemakers and it worked just fine.
They usually PM it to you when you request it... I just never received it... No code, no discount... :???:

trayson
07-22-2019, 01:42 PM
They usually PM it to you when you request it... I just never received it... No code, no discount... :???:

Anyone that knows the code can share it with other members. It's really that simple. For quite a while I would try to respond personally to all those code requests. but I got a bit tired and overwhelmed. Others jumped in and filled the need for sharing the requests. THat's basically how it works. It's not really a moderator thing, it's a community thing.

I just PM'd you the code.

RickT
07-22-2019, 02:26 PM
Do we have any volunteers?

trayson
07-22-2019, 02:36 PM
Do we have any volunteers?

Well, I've been around for years and have certainly contributed a lot to the forum, as well as benefiting by it. I could probably share in some of the workload...

larry_arizona
07-22-2019, 03:25 PM
I would be happy to help also. I know I am a relative noob.

haknslash
07-22-2019, 03:46 PM
I'd be happy to help as well. I'm relatively new as well just over a year on here but not new to moderating forums. Moderated the world's largest and most active HID headlight forum for probably over 2 decades. I also ran and moderated several car racing and modding forums. I know it's not boat related but moderating is moderating.

The main thing is not only having active moderators but also so that time zones overlap and there is good coverage throughout the day. That way it's not all falling on the same handful of mods to do the dirty cleanup work. I don't see a lot of bickering on this forum so I think it's a good community that self regulates itself. Mods seem to have the bulk of their work involved in spam cleanup. This can be mitigated by better authentication and perhaps put a limit on how many posts it takes before they can create a thread. Of course bots are smart and will spam post to reach their required post count, so authentication is really your best and first line of defense. It needs to be stronger to help weed out the spam bots IMO. Even if you don't go with 2-factor authentication even adding a few questions to the create account would go a long ways. Could even be as basic as how many vowels are in Moomba, how many letters are there in the parent company that manufacturers Moomba and Supra boats, how many Moomba boat models start with the letter M, etc. The more specific questions they have to answer plus other authenticating can go a long ways to weeding out spam bots. Vbulletin and phpbb forums have always been the hot bed for spam since they are often the oldest forum software still used today.

sandm
07-22-2019, 06:47 PM
one of the things that I appreciated about this forum over the years I have frequented it was the rules that were in effect when I joined. seen a lot of "looseness" to those over the last couple of years and not saying the forum shouldn't evolve BUT making sure before Rick hands the keys to the kingdom over they discuss on the super secret moderator thread we commoners can't see :)

I'd love to be a mod and have contributed a lot, both positive and probable more negative to this but moderator duties should be reserved for those that own/rep/shout the skiers brand. I hope to again someday.

the one stat that always amazes me and should skiers ever want space back(ya, I know a terrabyte is dirt cheap now) are that the website has 48,000 members and only a thousand are actually active.

sandm
07-22-2019, 06:48 PM
just thought I'd toss this out there... ed might be available as a mod....

zips up flamesuit and runs away quickly......... :p :twisted:

trayson
07-22-2019, 07:12 PM
one of the things that I appreciated about this forum over the years I have frequented it was the rules that were in effect when I joined. seen a lot of "looseness" to those over the last couple of years and not saying the forum shouldn't evolve BUT making sure before Rick hands the keys to the kingdom over they discuss on the super secret moderator thread we commoners can't see :)

I'd love to be a mod and have contributed a lot, both positive and probable more negative to this but moderator duties should be reserved for those that own/rep/shout the skiers brand. I hope to again someday.

the one stat that always amazes me and should skiers ever want space back(ya, I know a terrabyte is dirt cheap now) are that the website has 48,000 members and only a thousand are actually active.

I agree. Having expectations defined would be wise before giving anyone moderator duties. My understanding is that there's a lot of time devoted to chasing and eradicating spam... But how much time and what other duties or expectations exist I don't 100% know...

That said, I have gotten notifications on other forums that have said that because I haven't logged on or posted in ______ months, that my inactive account will soon be deleted. Nothing wrong with that. Not that it really is likely to make any meaningful improvement in our usability.

BigOrange
07-22-2019, 08:54 PM
Thanks for bringing this up to all who posted above. Just wanted to chime in since this has Mod's and Rick's attention: It seemed when I joined just a few year's back that there NO foul language used here. I really appreciated that. I have saw that slowly degrade and hope we can recover some of that.

Thanks, Brandon

costanza
07-23-2019, 12:49 PM
Thanks man! time for some more shopping...

gregski
07-23-2019, 06:28 PM
Mods also get to clean up posts to the wrong thread.

yearround
07-23-2019, 06:44 PM
Thanks for all the positive input. This is why this forum has been good. just throwing this out there too, i am not really too vocal, but i have been around a while. This one was not really necessary.

just thought I'd toss this out there... :

larry_arizona
07-23-2019, 06:46 PM
Mods also get to clean up posts to the wrong thread.

Lots of things a mod can do. Personally I mod to keep things clean from spam and try to let threads grow organically with minimal intervention.

If the forum owner has rules, enforce them.

We are all adults and should know manners, respect and right from wrong.

Sometimes people swear or get heated, but like most men, it’s over fast and we move on.

The bottom line, mods are not intended to babysit adults, they simply facilitate the forum when issues arise.

It’s not a paid gig, so I respect mods can’t be everywhere all the time. It’s voluntary and I appreciate the mods efforts to date.

The best forum are about sharing a passion, brother/sisterhood, honesty, feedback to a company like SC, a knowledge base, giving the customer a voice.

The more rules, the worse a forum gets in my opinion.

Just my two cents.

gregski
07-24-2019, 10:42 AM
Lots of things a mod can do...
I agree with all that, but my post was really meant as a bit of a joke: The irony of costanza's post (https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?33671-Do-we-need-additional-moderators&p=344402#post344402) was perfect in this thread.

larry_arizona
07-24-2019, 01:19 PM
I agree with all that, but my post was really meant as a bit of a joke: The irony of costanza's post (https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?33671-Do-we-need-additional-moderators&p=344402#post344402) was perfect in this thread.

And one of the best things that happens of a forum is sarcasm and humor. Forums should be fun.

MJHSupra
07-24-2019, 01:51 PM
The more rules, the worse a forum gets in my opinion.

Just my two cents.

Well said. 100%

bergermaister
07-24-2019, 02:33 PM
Modding can be fun and a PITA all at the same time. I enjoy it. I'm lucky to look at the forum for a few minutes once a day most days. What really helps is if members report a post as SPAM. That notifies the moderators that they need to take action and we do as soon as humanly possible. Some members like Zabooda are really good at that.

I can't tell you how many times I've done cleanup work from my phone at an airport, on the beach, at 10pm at night, etc. However during the day if I'm trying to close a deal or answer when the boss calls, you know how that goes.

Moderating isn't just hunting spammers - it's trying to enforce the rules, which are sometimes open to interpretation or may need to be modified. You have to be a brand advocate but diplomatically. No one likes a trash mouth (you know who you are) so there's some moderating there as well. We don't have this kind of problem much anymore but any personal attack or bullying type of comments on another member or anyone else for that matter will get you warned or booted quickly. Yeah, we used to have to deal with that...

If you're not a Skier's Choice owner you're not going to be a moderator. Funny/Impressive how we have so many other brands represented here because it's the best damn forum out there.

We do have some coverage in different time zones, but as RickT said "any volunteers?"

sandm
07-24-2019, 03:16 PM
If you're not a Skier's Choice owner you're not going to be a moderator.

ya might want to revisit that statement :)

Funny/Impressive how we have so many other brands represented here because it's the best damn forum out there.

this is the truth. and thank you for keeping this forum that way. know it's a thankless job but it is appreciated.