PDA

View Full Version : Free stuff from the dealer

Forrest Gump
02-07-2007, 12:37 AM
In addition to the factory incentives and a small price reduction by the dealer, has anyone gotten anything included with their new boat (i.e. fire extinguisher, 20 hour check up, life jackets, etc etc etc)

My dealer is offering me $1000 off, but hasn't offered to throw anything else into the deal.

Is that fairly normal with a product that doesn't have a very high markup?

Forrest

cptmoomba
02-07-2007, 01:15 AM
I picked my outback up today. It did come with the fire extinguisher. I'd check on the fire extinguisher, I believe that it is listed as standard on all models for 2007. (If not, then yes, my dealer did throw that in.)

I am kinda disappointed with not being given the basic coast guard required items. But owell just another excuse to spend the enormous price savings on some lifejackets you can actually use and not just hide under a seat somewhere.

JoeTechie
02-07-2007, 01:44 AM
Forrest - Yup, that is about all anyone gets. You are more likely to get some deals on service vs on stuff. Maybe a t-shirt, key fob, etc.

The Ski Mirror and Fire Extinguisher are standard - those are pretty cool in my opinion. Who needs to get a bunch of orange life vests thrown in ??? Get enough good quality ski vests for everyone, and then you never need them.

Since there is almost no markup on these - the dealer has much less room for free stuff - the boat is cheap - buy it !

:wink:

-Joe

lowdrag
02-07-2007, 03:13 AM
You always need toys and equipment after you buy the boat. If your dealer has a pro shop see what kind of deals they'll give you on any boards, ropes, life jackets, etc. that you buy from them. I saved quite a bit on that way.

I don't think it's any different with any of the big dollar names. You may get a bag with some goodies in it from Moomba some time down the road if they're still doing that.

njwlog
02-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Hey Forest,

Just to confirm, the $1K off MSRP that your dealer is quoting you includes prep & delivery, right?

Forrest Gump
02-07-2007, 01:57 PM
I don't believe so, no. I'm still paying prep, delivery, tax, title, license, etc etc.

Is that wrong?

gotmyboat
02-07-2007, 02:12 PM
These boats are already priced pretty darn low. There isn't as much margin as you might think, so the dealers don't mark them down much. The Boat Show deals are factory sponsored, so they give the dealers a little more room to work. I bought my 05 Outback at the 06 Boat Show. It was a model year old, so I got $3K off of the sticker price, plus I got the boat show board racks, warranty, and cover. My dealer also included all CG gear and stored it for free from Jan until April. I picked it up with a full tank of gas and ready to hit the lake. I put 70+ trouble-free hours on it last season, and am ready for spring to come this year.
That being said, I would have paid over the sticker price with nothing extra thrown in. This boat has been my best purchase so far. The hours of family fun and time together, as well as the awesome slalom power and wakes have been priceless.

Just buy it and use it!!

Just my $.02 (or actually closer to a nickel)

Dave

njwlog
02-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Nothing wrong with it, but that seems to be where the dealers pad back their profit. I skeptical that it takes up to $2K to deliver and prep a boat. That's alot of hours and delivery w/ multiple boats on a truck can't be more than $500 or so a boat.

Curious on what they are telling you on prep & delivery.

Jon
02-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Depending on where the dealer is, $2000 could be a realistic price for freight and prep. If a boat is cleaned and prepped totally correct, it could take up to 15 hours of work.

anabolicone
02-11-2007, 12:57 AM
Im New to the forum actually first post - Just ordered my moomba today at the boat show and I got a great deal - 07 Mobius LSV - Loaded (Grav 3 bags,radio, foward bimini,cover, WB prop, wakeplate, tower mirror, wakeplate, board racks, upgrade hull cover and they threw in WB perfect pass as the bonus incentive) + 2 years free scheduled maint + 2 years winterization + gas fill up + 2 wakeboard lessons + trailer , tax, tag --- out the door price of 39,500
Went all around to the boat show and no others could compete against the price - I considered Malibu, Session and Centurion but it was a great deal.
Will be here next month.
I got a deal - dont ya think

dmgx
02-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Hey Guys,

I will back that up on frieght and delivery. The dealer probably isn't making any money on those items, they are passing that cost on, just as we do at the factory. I won't go into specifics but our transportation dept. is not a revenue generator., if you catch my drift. Jay Warren Skiers Choice

Buttafewcoe
02-12-2007, 06:37 AM
Yep, learn to sit up wind and you won't be catching anyones' drift
:D
B

Nboard10
02-20-2007, 04:13 PM
anabolicone
I like the price!

what dealer did you buy from? Have any contact info?

Thanks - Nate

gt9118
02-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Sounds like you got a good deal. We just got our LSV out the door for 39500. We had two gel coat upgrades (all red) 3 bag ballast, tower speakers, wedge, appearance package, board racks, and cockpit cover. The dealer also gave us 1000 bucks more than we expected for our trade. Wish we would of had all of the service added in. That is awsome!

qb12
02-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Sounds like you got a good deal. We just got our LSV out the door for 39500. We had two gel coat upgrades (all red) 3 bag ballast, tower speakers, wedge, appearance package, board racks, and cockpit cover. The dealer also gave us 1000 bucks more than we expected for our trade. Wish we would of had all of the service added in. That is awsome!

gt, what is this "wedge" you speak of. :?

do you mean wakeplate....

ps, sounds like you got a good deal also. trust me i went to our local boat show, (sorry no skier's choice products) but looked at all the others and there was NOTHING in the price range that sc offers.

db

Groundpounder03
03-08-2007, 09:26 AM
Hi, I went to my dealer to look at the LSV. I had planned in my head that the dealer incentives would be available. When I discussed this with my dealer they informed that the dealer incentives were only good for boats bought at the boat show

Is this correct?

csumerall
03-08-2007, 10:44 AM
where are you at? when I bought my boat last year my dealer gave me boat show pricing ect. but that was last year, you could call another dealer to see what they say.

Groundpounder03
03-09-2007, 09:21 AM
It's the dealer in Atlanta. It looks like they are essentially giving me enough off the boat that its about the same as giving me the incentives.

I actually tried to talk to a dealer down in Florida about a few of his boats the he was advertising as having boat show prices. He said he couldnt sell to me and that I would have to see the dealer in area. It must be some sort of agreement that the dealers have.

JoeTechie
03-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Yes, for the most part the dealer network is exclusive. They only sell to the counties they cover. They are also paid by Skier's Choice for 1/2 the incentives, so when they are told it is over, it is over. Normally, the incentives are for the winter months - Dec-Feb when boat shows are trying to get people to start thinking about buying a boat and are willing to lower the price. During the busy season (April - August) they are getting orders and do not need the incentive - it's warm and everyone wants to buy a boat.

There are a few dealers who watch this and so does SC so they can correct me if I got it wrong, but this is my understanding.

-Joe

Wolf-
03-12-2007, 12:01 AM
It's the dealer in Atlanta. It looks like they are essentially giving me enough off the boat that its about the same as giving me the incentives.

I actually tried to talk to a dealer down in Florida about a few of his boats the he was advertising as having boat show prices. He said he couldnt sell to me and that I would have to see the dealer in area. It must be some sort of agreement that the dealers have.

We ran into this as well.
My 06 Outback is up at Atlanta Marine at the moment for some last minute end of warranty work.

I did not get show incentives, but got such a good deal on the boat that it really didn't matter.

Kurt and Lisa do a great job of taking care of their customers.

When you need service, Troy and Brian are great. I had an odd bad thermostat that reared its head during break-in while the craft was on a lake in FL. Troy walked me through trouble shooting and ripping the fresh water manifold apart to get it out over the phone.

When I took mine up for the first oil change and checkup, I had a short list of warranty items. Troy found small bumps in the gel coat that I hadn't seen and put them all on the list.

Their fiberglass guy is amazing.

My biggest problem is, its a 3 hour round trip to drop the boat off up there (I'm in Fayette) so I do a lot of the work myself.

I shopped the Mastercraft, Malibu, Gekko and Centurion dealers, and I must not have driven up in the right class of vehicle cuzz I felt like an outcast.

Also, I dont know if my sales rep is still around (Jeremy) but I met Michael LaCagnina at the show, and he offered me a great price for mine on trade in. I didn't have the cash to make the deal at the time. But they really do care about their customers.

Otto_man
05-31-2007, 03:19 PM
I don't think that my dealer had a whole lot of room to move on the price of the boat either.

But, when we asked, he did throw in a low end wakeboard and binding package, found us a very lighly used spare tire and bracket for the trailer which he gave us a break on and agreed to sell us a new boat lift (without the cover) at what had to be close to his cost. So I think we both came out OK.