PDA

View Full Version : Platform Question

JHutch
07-15-2019, 11:42 AM
I have on 08 XLV with the factory platform that has a lip on it. I was able to snag a matching factory surf platform as it appears my factory one is digging into my surf wake.

My question is the surf platform is not as wide but it is longer, will this put to much stress on the brackets that it mounts to? I don't want to cause any cracks in my boat? Also is there anyway to tighten up the brackets? Mine rattles up and down some.

Thanks!

996scott
07-15-2019, 04:06 PM
Lucky guy, where did you snag the surf deck? I would love to get one but am too cheap to buy one. I will probably build one at some point. a lot of people have switched to the surf deck but i have not heard anyone say anything about it being a problem for support. As far as the rattle goes the best thing to do is go to home depot and buy some door shims that are made of a plastic/composite. they fit down into the brackets and will keep things nice and tight. I have been doing it for about 4 yrs and it works great. I use a hammer to gently tap them down. You can break them off to any length you want. I leave mine sticking up a little so i can wiggle them back out.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/8-in-Composite-Shim-Bundle-of-12-SHM1-12-TW/202807695

JHutch
07-15-2019, 05:02 PM
Actually it was a process. I found a guy that had a white one for sale and he never sold it. The shipping cost where really high. Well he happened to be traveling about 2 hours from me for work so we met up like a year later! I just didn't want to put added stress on the transom as the brackets already leave something to be desired.

996scott
07-15-2019, 06:20 PM
That's great that it worked out. My guess is that it should be ok but not really sure how to determine that for sure. Give the shims a try, they really helped a ton for me.

JHutch
07-15-2019, 07:53 PM
Thanks Scott, Anyone else done this on the old brackets?