PDA

View Full Version : Is a water strainer really a no brainer?

Forrest Gump
02-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Hello,

I've now talked to two different people and gotten two different opinions on the need for a water strainer.

I will be using my Outback LSV on some fairly shallow lakes w/ a lot of weeds.

One person told me that the strainer is a must have because of my location and the weed population.
The other person said the water strainer is a waste of $200 and the strainer won't protect me at all.

What do you think?

smokedog2
02-05-2007, 07:03 PM
I have it. nonoptional IMHO

JoeTechie
02-05-2007, 08:47 PM
No brainer:

Do you run your car without an air filter ???

'nuff said.

-Joe

Forrest Gump
02-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks guys.

While I'd love to admit that "I knew it all along" - I'd be lying. After listening to both people make their respective arguments, I was genuinely confused.

Hearing such a consistent response from you guys makes the decision a little easier.

Can anyone tell me why person 2 might say what he did?

Nafplio
02-06-2007, 12:52 AM
I put one on my boat for much less than $200. It will catch things before they clog your v-drive and tranny coolers.

Buttafewcoe
02-06-2007, 07:08 AM
I run on a pretty clean lake and don't pick up much, so I check it about once a month. But what it does catch I know didn't get in the cooling system
B

deepcove
02-09-2007, 12:20 AM
I run with a strainer and sometimes the basket looks like a christmas tree with all the pine needles it traps....I would not run without it.....my boat also came with one on the ballast p-u.

cptmoomba
03-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Not really a comment on whether or not to get a strainer, but since everyone who has replied to the original post has one, I have a related question...

I put in my new 07 Outback a couple of weeks ago, and the lake water rose about 2 feet during those southeastern storms last week. As you can imagine, this brought a whole lot of debris into the lake. Anyway, ran it for 30 minutes and the in strainer became pretty full of junk. So in keeping with the original post, I am very glad I got this option.

New question, how do you get it off? Tried with a friend holding the fittings and me turining the housing. It doesn't move at all... My oil filter wrench is too small to fit around the housing.

Wake Master
03-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Mine was also very tight the first time I took it off. You can use an adjustable strap wrench.