PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Outback speed calibration?

ek1997
07-09-2019, 10:40 PM
Hey guys, recently purchased an old outback, been taking it out wakeboarding this week and the wakes actually been great but keeping speed isnt easy anyway does anyone know how the speed calibration works? Its a little black controller next to the throttle and it has left, right up and down, not really sure how it works or how it would work because i dont recall seeing trim tabs on the boat.

Also i have a 4 blade prop thats on it right now, but i also have a 3 blade 13x13 and i heard its common to use this prop for waleboarding and wakesurfing, would changing props help maintain a more steady speed? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Stazi
07-10-2019, 11:14 AM
Those boats typically have 2 Speedo’s and the adjustment mobs for those are under the dash. They are silver dials like on an old school stereo. You will have to look under there for them. Using a GPS you can then adjust both to calibrate them. The controller you are talking about sounds like the Aeware stereo control.

As for controlling the speed, without a built in speed controller like “cruise” it will just take some getting used to. The speed is affected by the load from the person you are pulling, water conditions and turning the boat, so just setting the throttle and expecting it to keep the same speed are not going to work without cruise control

Pictures of what you’re seeing next to the throttle and are talking about would help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ek1997
07-10-2019, 12:28 PM
The controller says speed calibration and i dont have the stereo control that you mentioned. Ill send a pic in a few minutes.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

gregski
07-12-2019, 02:02 PM
I know I'm just echoing Stazi here, but...

I think you're using the word "calibration" incorrectly here. Calibration is how you adjust your speedo to read correctly - there is a little dial (like an old stereo knob) for this, it's usually tucked up under the helm in the wiring somewhere.

If driving a ski boat is new to you, then it will just take a little practice. Throttle/speed control is one of those funny skills that seems impossible, then it "clicks" and is easy after that. There are several threads with advice so I'll leave you to search for those, but quickly, I'd recommend that you drive by engine speed/rpm comparing to the speedo to find the right spot. Make only small adjustments and wait for the speed to settle, the effect is much delayed compared to driving a car.

Is the controller you're talking about a couple of rocker swtiches? They could be for ballast pumps. I don't know what the 2000 Outback had for ballast, maybe someone else can chime in. Or maybe a previous owner used a rocker panel meant for trim tabs to control something. I don't know of any factory installed speed calibration like you're describing.

gregski
07-12-2019, 03:16 PM
Do you have two speedos? Maybe it is for adjusting the left and right speed...

Stazi
07-12-2019, 05:17 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

petroaj
07-13-2019, 09:12 AM
No picture came through.