PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell 50th trip...need information please.

Prospersigman
07-08-2019, 12:37 PM
Turning 50 next summer (middle to end of July) and my plan is to spend it on Lake Powell. Have looked at Wahweap Marina and Bullfrog Marina for renting a houseboat for 12-16 people to stay on. Would be 3-4 families with kids ranging from 6-13 years old. We would pull 1 or 2 boats up there from TX and spend a week up there.

I have also looked into the Airstream trailer rentals in the Wahweap RV campground. The Lake Powell Resort and Defiance House near Bullfrog.

Anybody who has done this before or from the area that can give me the 411 on where to go, where to stay, what part of the lake, etc. would be awesome.

sandm
07-08-2019, 01:01 PM
couple threads on ww that might help out and from there, powell has it's own forum- mostly fisherman and they don't like the surf boats but some good info.
https://wayneswords.net/forums/lake-powell-fishing.6/

moombacraze
07-08-2019, 03:47 PM
We go to Powell a few times a year. You can also check out Antelope Point Marina. They have houseboat rentals too. Once you decide which end of the lake you are going to I can help with places we have stayed on the lake. What time of year are you thinking?

Edit, I just saw that you said end of July. We will be down there the end of July into the first part of August

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prospersigman
07-08-2019, 03:51 PM
Looking at Antelope Marina now as well...trying to avoid a 6-7 hour stem towing my boat north on the lake, to see the best parts of the lake, find smooth water everyday and a great place to beach the houseboat rental. We will be going in mid-late July of next year because being from TX I dont do 70 degree water...I need at least 78-82.

Any info, links, etc are more than appreciated!

yearround
07-08-2019, 04:04 PM
I have only gone to Bullfrog, I live in CO and would have to drive a really long way to get to wahweep/page etc.

i think you may find that you could do 70-74 water when the air is 100. but that is fine. mid summer is still awesome at Powell. I would think that towing your boats to AZ would be the shortest and best route for you. houseboat camping places change depending on the water elevation, and can make significant differences. no way to predict next year water level today though.

Our preferred trip is mid september. we go to bullfrog. load the house boat and motor down to Excalante river and camp there for the duration. usually a couple moombas for the trip. house boat motors down slowly. the ski boats play on the way down and find a spot, then guide the HB in.

Have a great time!

996scott
07-09-2019, 11:08 AM
Lake Powell is great and you will love it. Both Bullfrog and Wahweap are great and you can't go wrong with either. Wahweap is located close to Price so there are a lot more options for stores, shopping for food, hotels if you are going to use them, etc. Bullfrog is very remote and you have to hall everything in with you. Houseboat is definitely the best way to go for sure. As the water goes up or down even a foot or two the lake changes and places to put the houseboat change so you just head out and look for a place that looks like it will work. We use Bullfrog the most because it is closest to Salt Lake. We head up the lake towards Good Hope Bay. No matter where you go it will be great.

moombacraze
07-09-2019, 11:28 AM
I have created an image for reference. If you are going to Wahweap you will want to use the castle rock cut to go up-lake. Otherwise it will be a long ride around Antelope Island. If you are leaving from Antelope Point marina you can just head straight up lake. I marked on the map some of the places we have stayed on the south end of the lake. The first spot is Padre Canyon. It has some nice beach areas to anchor your houseboat, it can be busy since it is the closest to the marinas. If you go up lake more you come to Last Chance Canyon. It also has some great beach sites with a little less traffic. Even further up lake is Rock Creek Canyon. This is one of my favorite canyons. You will have less traffic and great beaches too. You are not to far from Dangling Rope Marina if you need fuel, or if you are going to head up to Rainbow Bridge. They also have soft serve ice cream which is always a hit with everyone. I hope this helps you get an idea of a few spot on the lake that you can stay. Obviously there are many others, these are just a few of my favorites.

moombacraze
07-09-2019, 11:29 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190709/977380d08d386f78f4ed4f6290fcfb57.jpg

Prospersigman
07-09-2019, 01:23 PM
This is majorly helpful!!

And no problem getting the houseboat through the Castle Rock Cut? What about the ever changing water levels? Do we need to be concerned that next years run off is not good and the water levels drop closing the cut?

moombacraze
07-09-2019, 01:40 PM
The water level has risen 50’ this year. It has been an amazing year for run off. The water levels fluctuate a lot. I would think that the cut will still be passable next year regardless of the winter we have this year. You can take a houseboat through the cut. It is wakeless but you can easily take the houseboat through.

Edo88
07-09-2019, 01:44 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190709/977380d08d386f78f4ed4f6290fcfb57.jpg

Need something like this for every lake out there. Nice job I’m going to save this

zabooda
07-09-2019, 02:02 PM
I see Moombacraze has spent some time at Lake Powell. It is nice to share the information as many people keep it for themselves. I found out west that most boaters don't venture too far from civilization ( marinas and campgrounds) so going the extra distance costs more but for the time you are there it is well worth the cost. Don't make a tight budget. I've been to many large reservoirs in the northwest and the campgrounds I went to with the motor home and boat were barely passable but the best boating and camping around.

Prospersigman
07-09-2019, 02:35 PM
Only gonna turn 50 once so budget is not a concern on this trip.

Trying to decide now if we want to cram all 8 adults and 8 kids in the same houseboat or do 2 of them.

I also pulled up gas at the marinas and Halls Crossing is the only marina listed that has Supreme gas and its $6.10 per gallon currently...OMFG!!! Unfortunately for me the 550 requires premium gas.

moombacraze
07-09-2019, 02:44 PM
Antelope Point has premium. It’s a little better price wise.

http://antelopepointlakepowell.com/marina-services/fuel-dock/

996scott
07-09-2019, 02:51 PM
gas is ridiculous on the lake for sure. Most of the boats will have a 100 gal "toy" tank on the back of the house boat to refuel the ski boat or jet skis which helps a lot but you will still have to head to the marina for gas, ice, or other things. It's nice to get far away from the marinas where things are less busy/crowded but it also means you burn more gas getting back and forth. For 8 adults and 8 kids one large houseboat is fine.

Prospersigman
07-09-2019, 04:21 PM
So if we were to rent a houseboat out of Bullfrog Marina you have to catch the Charles Hall Ferry to get to the marina and then there is a boat ramp there, but you cannot get to it from land, correct?

996scott
07-09-2019, 04:33 PM
The main boat launch/marina/gas/houseboat is all at bullfrog and you just drive strait to it. You will rent your houseboat there and launch your ski boat there. You can get gas and supplies there as well. There really is no need to go to Halls Crossing which is another marina/gas/houseboat that is just across the bay. It is a lot smaller than Bullfrog. You can take the ferry across from Bullfrog to Halls with your car and boat if you want to but there really isn't a need for it if you are launching and renting from Bullfrog. If you were renting a houseboat from Halls then you can take the ferry across and rent/launch from there. You can also drive around to Hall on the road but it is an extra hour to get there.

996scott
07-09-2019, 04:56 PM
So if we were to rent a houseboat out of Bullfrog Marina you have to catch the Charles Hall Ferry to get to the marina and then there is a boat ramp there, but you cannot get to it from land, correct?

I may have responded to quick. It depends on which direction you are coming from. If Halls Crossing is the closest for you but you are renting from Bullfrog then you can take the ferry across from Halls to Bullfrog or you can drive from Halls to Bullfrog but it will take an extra 1.5 hrs to make the drive. But yes you can drive it, the road just takes you all the way up to the very top of the lake and then you work your way back down to Bullfrog.

Prospersigman
07-09-2019, 05:02 PM
Coming from Dallas, TX

I sent you a pm so I wasn't blowing up the boards with all my questions.

Edo88
07-10-2019, 08:59 PM
Coming from Dallas, TX

I sent you a pm so I wasn't blowing up the boards with all my questions.

Keep blowing it up lol since I plan on taking this same trip in the future