PDA

View Full Version : Traction Pad came unglued

Prospersigman
07-05-2019, 08:34 AM
The rear corner of the traction pad came unglued on my Soulcraft. There is about 5 inches that now just flaps up and down while surfing.

What kind of glue can I reglue the traction pad down with and do I need to try and remove the adhesive that is left on the board?

Or do I need to pull it off all together and get a new traction pad?

Stazi
07-07-2019, 08:08 AM
Try the “marine” version of GOOP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
11-11-2020, 12:11 PM
The rear corner of the traction pad came unglued on my Soulcraft. There is about 5 inches that now just flaps up and down while surfing.

What kind of glue can I reglue the traction pad down with and do I need to try and remove the adhesive that is left on the board?

Or do I need to pull it off all together and get a new traction pad?

@Prospersigman - I have the same issue on my Soulcraft that started yesterday.

How did your adhesive work and hold up?

parrothd
11-11-2020, 12:25 PM
@Prospersigman - I have the same issue on my Soulcraft that started yesterday.

How did your adhesive work and hold up?

Use the non water version of DAP contact cement it's used to glue everything under the sun if you want the best results. :)

MJHSupra
11-11-2020, 02:03 PM
Use the non water version of DAP contact cement it's used to glue everything under the sun if you want the best results. :)

Thanks for the follow up. I was reading about the 3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive, assumed people were using some type of contact cement.

parrothd
11-11-2020, 02:34 PM
Nothing really beats contact cement, you know it's good cuz they need to see your ID to purchase it, highly flammable. Highly flammable are the best products..lol

Dank
11-12-2020, 11:38 AM
Nothing really beats contact cement, you know it's good cuz they need to see your ID to purchase it, highly flammable. Highly flammable are the best products..lol

easy fix -- get some 3M adhesive spray, spray the backing.. lay it back down... fixed.

I build boards in my garage.

built this one:

Oldernotwiser
11-21-2020, 02:03 AM
We always carry a tube of marine goop on the boat. Works great especially to fix loose corners.

MJHSupra
11-21-2020, 11:33 AM
easy fix -- get some 3M adhesive spray, spray the backing.. lay it back down... fixed.

I build boards in my garage.

built this one:

29195Sweet, where did you learn the skill?

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

smitty75
11-22-2020, 09:52 AM
On my soulcraft’s, I’ve had to replace the traction pads just about every season. But they get a lot of use. I honestly think it’s the sun exposure that causes the most damage. I use a heat gun (very low heat) and pull the old pad, then throw on a new set. Just don’t overheat the board if you try this. I also have a smooth plastic scraper i use with goo gone if it won’t come up.

I didn’t think to try more adhesive since the pad is actually separating from the adhesive layer, rather than the adhesive pulling from the board. Let us know how this works after giving it a try. Regardless the traction areas are usually pretty beat up so I just swap them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldernotwiser
11-22-2020, 02:15 PM
On my soulcraft’s, I’ve had to replace the traction pads just about every season. But they get a lot of use. I honestly think it’s the sun exposure that causes the most damage. I use a heat gun (very low heat) and pull the old pad, then throw on a new set. Just don’t overheat the board if you try this. I also have a smooth plastic scraper i use with goo gone if it won’t come up.

I didn’t think to try more adhesive since the pad is actually separating from the adhesive layer, rather than the adhesive pulling from the board. Let us know how this works after giving it a try. Regardless the traction areas are usually pretty beat up so I just swap them out.

You might be on to something with heat effects on your boards. How are you storing them as once a year seems extreme. We to have heavy use on our boards, 4 year old boards still look great except the odd one may have had a corner come up. Try ordering agenda traction, seems to hold up very well but haven’t had issues with stock traction either up here in the great white north.

smitty75
11-22-2020, 04:43 PM
You might be on to something with heat effects on your boards. How are you storing them as once a year seems extreme. We to have heavy use on our boards, 4 year old boards still look great except the odd one may have had a corner come up. Try ordering agenda traction, seems to hold up very well but haven’t had issues with stock traction either up here in the great white north.

I’ll admit, I’m probably not the most cautious with storing them. Mostly because the Sr didn’t have much room except in the racks. So I’d just put them pad side down in the racks. But in SC, sun can be intense and our season is pretty long. In the new SA I’ll try to keep them out of the sun which will hopefully make a difference.