PDA

View Full Version : Adding some Bow bass

rpk2016
07-02-2019, 01:10 PM
I currently have 2 jl 12 w6 and all m6 lit speakers. Took the boat out for the first time this weekend and the system rocked but in the bow their was of course a lack of thump. I am considering adding a 8w3 either ported or sealed on both sides of the bow or an m6 8ib lit with no box. Anyone done or seen anything like this in person. I’ve seen liquid rides and Spokane audio do this with 8w7 but I don’t want to give up that much space. I’ve considered putting a shallow mount but from research they have less output than a traditional woofer. Any feedback on this would be great. A 10w6 ported under the bowfiller cushion is my first choice but I don’t think it’ll fit. Amp will be either m1000/1 or m600/1 depending on sub choice. My concerns are storage loss and the added bass being non existing. I know it won’t be a lot but it will be some and a lil more on top of the 2 12s

RC_Hinojosa
07-02-2019, 01:21 PM
Seeing as how I don't ride in the bow, I'd rather throw 500lbs of lead under the bow filler cushion but that's just me.

I'm just not sure how great of a frequency response you'd get in such an open air/wind blowing environment.

Yeah, Kevin Henry stuffed everything but the kitchen sink in his Liquid Rides G25 so if there is a will and means, there is a way.

P.S. the Gabe's Supra with twin 15" WS XXXs will put the smackdown on that green G. No contest, not even close.

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk

sandm
07-02-2019, 01:35 PM
I'm with rc. I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze in that case unless your boat lives at the party cove and bass is your primary goal for owning a wakeboat. never ever in the bow and spending enough coin on these things, personally could care less if there's bass for passengers up there but you will not have an issue finding a place to stuff a sub up there if you desire.

the debate is on: space vs bass :)

rpk2016
07-02-2019, 02:44 PM
Seeing as how I don't ride in the bow, I'd rather throw 500lbs of lead under the bow filler cushion but that's just me.

I'm just not sure how great of a frequency response you'd get in such an open air/wind blowing environment.

Yeah, Kevin Henry stuffed everything but the kitchen sink in his Liquid Rides G25 so if there is a will and means, there is a way.

P.S. the Gabe's Supra with twin 15" WS XXXs will put the smackdown on that green G. No contest, not even close.

Thanks for the response but you’ve got me wanting to do a stereo gut job lol. I do like SQ which is my original reasoning for going JL and I liked the built in leds in the tower plus headroom from not having 4 10s. But his boat is insanely under powered not one sub is at rms. But is there pics or videos of these 2 15s anywhere. My dads got a fishing boat and a ranger plus I’ve still got the stock recons so the jl equipment could be easy to dump off. But yes to respond to Sam I am trying to be the cool guy in the cove. not obnoxious but defiantly get some bass out there passed the swim deck. But we do surf a lot no wake boarding but batteries and heavy subs work just as good as lead lol. Also RC do you think there is room in the observer locker for a 4 ft cubic ft box. I love the JL so far but I know next summer I’ll want more cause that’s just my personality

rpk2016
07-02-2019, 02:49 PM
But their is always two three people up there in the bow so making a better experience for them and a better one in the cove or in my case the island at Conroe would be a win win

RC_Hinojosa
07-02-2019, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the response but you’ve got me wanting to do a stereo gut job lol. I do like SQ which is my original reasoning for going JL and I liked the built in leds in the tower plus headroom from not having 4 10s. But his boat is insanely under powered not one sub is at rms. But is there pics or videos of these 2 15s anywhere. My dads got a fishing boat and a ranger plus I’ve still got the stock recons so the jl equipment could be easy to dump off. But yes to respond to Sam I am trying to be the cool guy in the cove. not obnoxious but defiantly get some bass out there passed the swim deck. But we do surf a lot no wake boarding but batteries and heavy subs work just as good as lead lol. Also RC do you think there is room in the observer locker for a 4 ft cubic ft box. I love the JL so far but I know next summer I’ll want more cause that’s just my personalityMore pics coming tonight....

Wanna win a DB Drag contest????

This is in an SA....

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190702/f6b060ba4d124005622d1104d2772f02.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190702/f7e13aa976e23ec0ca1465d1428020e8.jpg

RC_Hinojosa
07-02-2019, 03:24 PM
Also RC do you think there is room in the observer locker for a 4 ft cubic ft box. I love the JL so far but I know next summer I’ll want more cause that’s just my personality

What model are you upfitting?

I'm not sure about the airspace requirements for the 15" XXX but everything is built and tuned to WS specs.

rpk2016
07-02-2019, 05:03 PM
Mojo 19 maybe with some serious skills and a lot of venting it could work. This is my first own personal wakeboard boat. Dad had one growing up but my next purchase will defiantly be a SL. That or if y’all know anyone who wants a mojo at the end of the summer I’ve got one with the new tan interior, a JL Audio system, and title in hand

rpk2016
07-02-2019, 05:04 PM
I know I can fit one under the drivers helm as there’s enough room under it to hide a couple bodies

sandm
07-02-2019, 05:06 PM
I love the JL so far but I know next summer I’ll want more cause that’s just my personality

you want more, I have had 12w6's in my last 2 boats. the one currently has a 13w7 under the passenger area. it's in a stupidly big ported box but man does it pound. put a pair of these in the boat, feed them an insane amount of power and you don't need anything else.
I am actually contemplating removing it for a 12w6 but if anyone wants to know the difference between the 12 and 13 I can tell you it's a lot.

Ryann
07-02-2019, 05:10 PM
Mess with your crossover point on the amp. That will allow the smaller speakers in the bow to bring in the lower frequencies. Maybe try 60 hz.

I currently have 2 jl 12 w6 and all m6 lit speakers. Took the boat out for the first time this weekend and the system rocked but in the bow their was of course a lack of thump. I am considering adding a 8w3 either ported or sealed on both sides of the bow or an m6 8ib lit with no box. Anyone done or seen anything like this in person. I’ve seen liquid rides and Spokane audio do this with 8w7 but I don’t want to give up that much space. I’ve considered putting a shallow mount but from research they have less output than a traditional woofer. Any feedback on this would be great. A 10w6 ported under the bowfiller cushion is my first choice but I don’t think it’ll fit. Amp will be either m1000/1 or m600/1 depending on sub choice. My concerns are storage loss and the added bass being non existing. I know it won’t be a lot but it will be some and a lil more on top of the 2 12s

RC_Hinojosa
07-02-2019, 05:14 PM
Mess with your crossover point on the amp. That will allow the smaller speakers in the bow to bring in the lower frequencies. Maybe try 60 hz.OP is taking bout adding subs to bow and you are talking about tweaking the crossover point of the in-boats....[emoji2357]

rpk2016
07-02-2019, 05:33 PM
you want more, I have had 12w6's in my last 2 boats. the one currently has a 13w7 under the passenger area. it's in a stupidly big ported box but man does it pound. put a pair of these in the boat, feed them an insane amount of power and you don't need anything else.
I am actually contemplating removing it for a 12w6 but if anyone wants to know the difference between the 12 and 13 I can tell you it's a lot.

Those 13s need big boxes too I’d debate jl vs wetsounds again for sure. But I’ve still yet to hear even a xxx12 in person. But yeah 4 hd 750/1s and and two 13s if I had the space would be badass. I’ve heard from other forms and people it isn’t as “loud” and doesn’t hit as “hard” as the xxx15 but pounds and sounds good. I’m sure the 15 sounds great and I’ve always like the idea of the sub being built from the ground up for marine environment and listening but ive always had jl in my trucks and SxS and I trust them but would be open to changing

rpk2016
07-02-2019, 05:34 PM
Mess with your crossover point on the amp. That will allow the smaller speakers in the bow to bring in the lower frequencies. Maybe try 60 hz.
I was wondering about adding some subs and if anyone had any feedback as to the best route and if it was essential useless. I’m willing to give up a little storage but not a lot

rpk2016
07-03-2019, 12:10 AM
Anymore pictures are RC? And does MLA or anyone have any thoughts on the original plans of bow woofers or just space in the observers compartment of the mojo??

RC_Hinojosa
07-03-2019, 06:51 AM
Anymore pictures are RC? And does MLA or anyone have any thoughts on the original plans of bow woofers or just space in the observers compartment of the mojo??My buddy is to send me more pics soon of his SA. You gotta see the custom port near the floor of the OB compartment.

Here are some pics of my 12" XXX in my Craz.

Everyone has their own personal preferences whether a W7 or a XXX.

My 12" pounds hard but it's not twin 15"s.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190703/7d1085c04a1823729e99f369abce75b6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190703/fdb0577f1e8a7e768f2de16fdd116042.jpg

rpk2016
07-03-2019, 08:46 AM
My buddy is to send me more pics soon of his SA. You gotta see the custom port near the floor of the OB compartment.

Here are some pics of my 12" XXX in my Craz.

Everyone has their own personal preferences whether a W7 or a XXX.

My 12" pounds hard but it's not twin 15"s.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190703/7d1085c04a1823729e99f369abce75b6.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190703/fdb0577f1e8a7e768f2de16fdd116042.jpg

I’ve seen that on Instagram extreme off road built it. Jordan and the crew lifted my truck last year. I’m trying to post some pictures of mine but it’s nots letting me do off my iPhone or mac. A shop in Texarkana that did all my stuff growing up did my system. Gave me a good deal on the equipment and labor since I payed cash. But the box, trim panel, and amp rack are not what I was expecting. Biggest issue though is they ran all the RCAs on top of the power wires which is a huge no no. There is no engine hum right now but after Labor Day even if I keep same equipment and add another sub or do a gut job the system needs a re wire. Probably a tune I’m new to all this I used to do all my boating at lake Hamilton but now I’m in the Houston area I’ve seen and heard some nicer ones. But I was gonna hit up Liquid Rides, Audio Source out of New Braunfels, or Scream Marine in Dallas. But me living 15 minutes from extreme if you recommend I’d defiantly get a quote.

RC_Hinojosa
07-03-2019, 08:54 AM
I’ve seen that on Instagram extreme off road built it. Jordan and the crew lifted my truck last year. I’m trying to post some pictures of mine but it’s nots letting me do off my iPhone or mac. A shop in Texarkana that did all my stuff growing up did my system. Gave me a good deal on the equipment and labor since I payed cash. But the box, trim panel, and amp rack are not what I was expecting. Biggest issue though is they ran all the RCAs on top of the power wires which is a huge no no. There is no engine hum right now but after Labor Day even if I keep same equipment and add another sub or do a gut job the system needs a re wire. Probably a tune I’m new to all this I used to do all my boating at lake Hamilton but now I’m in the Houston area I’ve seen and heard some nicer ones. But I was gonna hit up Liquid Rides, Audio Source out of New Braunfels, or Scream Marine in Dallas. But me living 15 minutes from extreme if you recommend I’d defiantly get a quote.LR blew me off (I don't have a G) so I went with Extreme in Katy. I was living in Cinco at the time...

They do impeccable work and their list of SEMA builds speak for themselves.

If you are in the area they should be at the top of your list.

Hector is a master craftsman and did all the work on my Craz.

Shoebox
07-03-2019, 09:52 AM
Must be tough to hear much of anything with all these boats pounding different shit out at the cove/island/whatever.

RC_Hinojosa
07-03-2019, 09:53 AM
Must be tough to hear much of anything with all these boats pounding different shit out at the cove/island/whatever.That's what WS A-Link is for right? [emoji16]

Shoebox
07-03-2019, 09:55 AM
That's what WS A-Link is for right? [emoji16]

Sent from my Note9 using TapatalkAssuming everyone likes the same music, I guess.

RC_Hinojosa
07-03-2019, 09:56 AM
Assuming everyone likes the same music, I guess.Well yeah, everyone loves baby shark [emoji1787]

Shoebox
07-03-2019, 10:01 AM
Well yeah, everyone loves baby shark [emoji1787]

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk[emoji23] [emoji23]Ought to be a big hit down your way: [emoji23]
https://youtu.be/cXNWGjK74Lo

rpk2016
07-03-2019, 10:13 AM
That's what WS A-Link is for right? [emoji16]

My shop installed mc-1 and a link haven’t got to try the a link. But LR May have blown you off since you wanted WS when I was doing my original shopping around the owner didn’t seem to be a fan of them at all. But it’s crazy to blow off thousands of dollars worth of equipment and labor. But yeah your facade or trim panel or whatever it’s called is beautiful. Do you know if they have both jl marine and wetsounds demos at the shop?

rpk2016
07-03-2019, 10:16 AM
LR blew me off (I don't have a G) so I went with Extreme in Katy. I was living in Cinco at the time...

They do impeccable work and their list of SEMA builds speak for themselves.

If you are in the area they should be at the top of your list.

Hector is a master craftsman and did all the work on my Craz.

I’m just south of 1093 I still consider it Katy even though it’s richmond. I was gonna say we should link up and you let me hear that 12 if we ended boating at the same place.

RC_Hinojosa
07-03-2019, 10:35 AM
My shop installed mc-1 and a link haven’t got to try the a link. But LR May have blown you off since you wanted WS when I was doing my original shopping around the owner didn’t seem to be a fan of them at all. But it’s crazy to blow off thousands of dollars worth of equipment and labor. But yeah your facade or trim panel or whatever it’s called is beautiful. Do you know if they have both jl marine and wetsounds demos at the shop?

They did an amazing job on the facade and the enclosure is rhino lined. The amps were tuned with oscilloscope and everything is well balanced.

I did explore going W7 route but it seemed that if you don't have a G23/25 you get put on the LR backburner....had nothing to do with brand choice.

I haven't been to Extreme's new shop off 1-10 but I'm pretty sure they have both demos.

RC_Hinojosa
07-03-2019, 10:37 AM
I’m just south of 1093 I still consider it Katy even though it’s richmond. I was gonna say we should link up and you let me hear that 12 if we ended boating at the same place.You coming to the TX Jam in July?? You gotta come out and meet all the TX peeps.

https://www.facebook.com/events/238595857043436/?ti=as

sandm
07-03-2019, 11:16 AM
LR blew me off (I don't have a G) so I went with Extreme in Katy.

I cannot confirm or deny that LR installed the system in my boat. the boat was from north texas/oklahoma region. one of the pics in the for sale ad was the boat sitting in their shop and all the gear that was not factory installed they sell so I am putting 2+2 and coming up with them as the installer.
see pic of w7 box install and fan to keep the amp mounted on the side cool and decide if this is who should install. I have heard good things from them thru MLA but my audio is getting a full makeover this winter as it's a hot mess. and maybe this old owner was on a budget but......

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=49908&d=1539805058

rpk2016
07-03-2019, 11:24 AM
They did an amazing job on the facade and the enclosure is rhino lined. The amps were tuned with oscilloscope and everything is well balanced.

I did explore going W7 route but it seemed that if you don't have a G23/25 you get put on the LR backburner....had nothing to do with brand choice.

I haven't been to Extreme's new shop off 1-10 but I'm pretty sure they have both demos.

I hate driving by it just makes me want a super duty or a raptor which I already want very badly. The only thing that only made me want a w7 a little more is the size difference in the 12s. But sometimes less is more for example the gen 2 raptor.

rpk2016
07-03-2019, 11:31 AM
You coming to the TX Jam in July?? You gotta come out and meet all the TX peeps.

https://www.facebook.com/events/238595857043436/?ti=as

I get back from a vacation in the USVI with the in laws after midnight so Saturday morning I’m trying to head out. I’m gonna have the boat sitting on go only excuse would be the fiancé or me being beat after the trip

rpk2016
07-03-2019, 11:43 AM
I cannot confirm or deny that LR installed the system in my boat. the boat was from north texas/oklahoma region. one of the pics in the for sale ad was the boat sitting in their shop and all the ger that was not factory installed they sell so I am putting 2+2 and coming up with them as the installer.
see pic of w7 box install and fan to keep the amp mounted on the side cool and decide if this is who should install. I have heard good things from them thru MLA but my audio is getting a full makeover this winter as it's a hot mess. and maybe this old owner was on a budget but......

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=49908&d=1539805058

Just like every place you hear good and bad things. A guy I know bought a g23 they had done and he had to re do the whole setup. They mounted all the fuses and two of the amps behind two 13w7 boxes that were bolted to the floor. So if he were to blow a fuse he would have to remove both hundred pound subs from the locker, unbolt the boxes and remove the boxes just to change a fuse. Then the wiring was not worthy of the “best installer in Texas” and they had a 6000 watt system ran off two batteries with no charger or upgraded alternator. But not to bash the place when they’ve done no work for me people get better and maybe he’s gotten better about treating every customer equally. But the videos seem to rock but videos don’t do most systems justice. But my main issues with shops like him and hydrotunes another installer I looked at is they don’t give these systems the amps they need to flourish. But hydrotunes I feel like if you have the dough or they aren’t going for pure aesthetics build a rocking system. But the green G would actually knock some teeth filling loose if the 12s had more than 650 watts on them at 12 volt and the 8s and the rest of the system was ran off maybe four 900/5s so the subs had rms power and the towers had more watts and the interiors all had their own channel. Just my opinion especially since I’ve seen it advertised as the loudest best sounding boat in the country.

trayson
07-03-2019, 11:44 AM
My boat has a pair of 10s in the helm sealed, pointed at the driver. I was running my amp at 2 ohms and knew I had a bit of wattage that I was leaving on the table. So I got a 3rd 10 and put it in a separate box pointed forward with the port pointing up. It's basically in the space between the back of the first box and the backrest of the bow starboard seat. It made a world of difference and I didn't really lose anything, as it takes up a tiny amount of space since it's taller than it is deep. Money well spent without question.

rpk2016
07-03-2019, 11:50 AM
Now Spokane audio if y’all have insta or Facebook they do some flawless work. They use all starboard no wood, the parts are 3D printed, and made by a Cnc machine. They just did a g25 with 8 jl subs 6 of them being the w7 and then 2 12s. It has 16 jl hd/mhd amps, 8 stinger batteries, and 20 8.8 jl speakers. Now that g and the wetsounds Tige are the loudest boats no question.

rpk2016
07-03-2019, 11:53 AM
My boat has a pair of 10s in the helm sealed, pointed at the driver. I was running my amp at 2 ohms and knew I had a bit of wattage that I was leaving on the table. So I got a 3rd 10 and put it in a separate box pointed forward with the port pointing up. It's basically in the space between the back of the first box and the backrest of the bow starboard seat. It made a world of difference and I didn't really lose anything, as it takes up a tiny amount of space since it's taller than it is deep. Money well spent without question.

If I’m understanding correctly I don’t know if I’d have the space there as I already have 2 12s but it’d be worth some math and looking.

rpk2016
07-18-2019, 04:08 AM
I’m thinking now 2 12xxxs because it is only a couple hundred dollars more. Also the accuracy of a 12 vs 15 is better. Also the output of 2 12s would be higher. I’m thinking about doing a box like this for these reasons 1. It’s aesthetically beautiful. 2 the Downfire would help the bass energy travel though out the boat 3. The direct radiating will hopeful travel through out to the swim platform.
My only concern is a very strong rattling

rpk2016
07-18-2019, 10:01 PM
I’m thinking now 2 12xxxs because it is only a couple hundred dollars more. Also the accuracy of a 12 vs 15 is better. Also the output of 2 12s would be higher. I’m thinking about doing a box like this for these reasons 1. It’s aesthetically beautiful. 2 the Downfire would help the bass energy travel though out the boat 3. The direct radiating will hopeful travel through out to the swim platform.

I like the acrylic in this box if it actually uploads but hoping for feed back on a set up like this. The good, the bad, the decent

RC_Hinojosa
07-18-2019, 10:09 PM

Dynamat is your friend...

rpk2016
07-18-2019, 10:19 PM
Dynamat is your friend...

I like hearing that I want to upload some pictures does anyone know how to from MAC or iPhone? 1. of my current setup of the 2 12s and the other of what I have in mind.

RC_Hinojosa
07-18-2019, 10:23 PM
I like hearing that I want to upload some pictures does anyone know how to from MAC or iPhone? 1. of my current setup of the 2 12s and the other of what I have in mind.Download the Tapatalk app, it's easier to upload photos.

Trahan402
08-15-2021, 10:18 PM
I’m currently debating my new sub set up and I’ve never heard a xxx in person. I’m out on lake Houston but would love to come out that way and listen before making my decision.

Between a XXX 15 or 12 or go with a 13.5” w7. Whole boat is wet sounds so was hoping to keep it all wet sounds.