PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood Upgraded Stereo

cptmoomba
02-03-2007, 03:38 PM
I am excited to pick up my new 2007 Outback next Wednesday. My boat show deal came on an instock Outback with the tower package, appearance package, wake plate, gravit I ballast and the upgraded stereo with MP3 capability w/4 speakers. On the test drive, the stereo was probably the least of my concern, but I did notice it was a Kenwood, single DIN with six speakers and the cockpit remote.

My question is, what model of Kenwood stereo is this? I went to the Kenwood USA marine webpage and from what I see they don't make an MP3 Marine CD Player that is a single DIN unit. SC gave me a model number of KDC-MP232 that when I researched it wasn't a marine unit.

This is my dream slowly coming true and moving on from the sterndrive days, and even though the Outback base model direct drive is on the low end of the price spectrum, I am not eager to put a bunch of money into a stereo that will play the MP3s I want to bring out with me.

smokedog2
02-03-2007, 06:09 PM
It may not be marine, It is not supposed to get wet. I run either an Ipod or MP3 and it works fine. You should have an amp for the tower speakers.

I think most folks think marine radios are over priced and cannot take much more in the way of water anyway.

SD2

Forrest Gump
02-03-2007, 08:08 PM
When you say you run an Ipod, does that mean there is a jack for the Ipod on the standard Kenwood stereo?

smokedog2
02-03-2007, 08:13 PM
No, I use the radio plug thingy

Wolf-
02-03-2007, 10:47 PM
When you say you run an Ipod, does that mean there is a jack for the Ipod on the standard Kenwood stereo?

There are some adapters you can pick up.
Aux in, CD changer.

Check Crutchfield's

Forrest Gump
02-04-2007, 01:24 AM
Great, Thanks!

It'd certainly be nice to have an Ipod hooked up instead of having to constantly change cds.

I was planning on just getting the basic audio setup that's included in the factory incentives offer - do I need to get something more advanced to enjoy music on my new boat?

Forrest

Buttafewcoe
02-04-2007, 05:38 AM
..........me a model number of KDC-MP232 ...
When I bought my Outback, during the first winter I had it stored, the stock stereo got condensation in it and stopped working. Warranty, I thought, so no worries. But it wasn't covered.
I was able to find the KDC-MP232 on E-Bay for $109.00. It was a direct replacement with no wire swapping. I just pulled the old head out, slipped the new one in, and viola. Plus the Mp-3 was an upgrade, my stock unit was just a cd player.
The beauty of Mp-3 is that format allows you to put up to a couple hundred songs on one cd so one can take just a couple cd's and avoid the constant changing thing.
B

smokedog2
02-04-2007, 09:51 AM
My Ipod runs off the cigarette lighter, not directly to the radio.

And I am swithing more to MP3 cds since the Ipod does not float.

SD2

cptmoomba
02-04-2007, 11:49 AM
I went through 3 head units in a 5 year period in my last boat. It looks to me that the Moomba's location in the glove box is probably better suited for stopping direct water contact.

Anyway, thanks for your all your input. I love this site.

pickle311
02-04-2007, 03:04 PM
I use an Ipod with the Aux jack as well. 4000 songs and all I have to do is listen and have fun.

JoeTechie
02-04-2007, 05:37 PM
Forrest - The thread discussing the iPod adapters is Here:
https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=2855&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=9

Hope this helps,

-Joe

JoeTechie
02-04-2007, 05:50 PM
CtMoomba - I think you looked at the wrong model... the Kenwood KDC-232MR IS a marine radio (but does not play MP3's):

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/products/ListProduct.aspx?k1=2&k2=45&k3=171&pr=2410

The Kenwood KDC-MP232 is NOT a marine radio, but will play MP3's.

Not sure which is in the boats this year.

Hope this helps,

-Joe

cptmoomba
02-04-2007, 06:30 PM
Again, thanks for all the input. Once I pick it up on Wednesday, I will post again with the model number for all prospective buyers that have the same questions I did.

Thanks.

Nafplio
02-05-2007, 02:50 AM
The Kenwood Aux adapter Joe mentioned has worked very well for me. I've also used the driver's side cigarette lighter to provide a power source for the iPod.

cptmoomba
02-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Picked up the boat today and am anxious for some warmer weather.

For all prospective buyers of the 2007 models with either the Kenwood Stereo Incentive or just adding the $595 dollar option of the stereo with 4 speakers, here is what you get:

You get the Kenwood KDC-MP232(I know not marine rated and not capable of wired remote controls right?) Well, SC has some sort of deal worked out through their supplier that takes the KDC-MP232 and adds some sort of moisture protection to the circuitry and as well solders the wires needed to add on wired remote controls. My dealer says that this is overall cheaper to accomplish while still allowing for MP3 burned CDs and External Media Control (IPOD) rather than purchasing the 400+ dollar MR Double-DIN models.

Oh- and probably a drawback in the long run is that they actually give you six speakers, running 2 bows off the front channel head amp and 4 cockpits off the rear channel head amp in parallel. Basic Ohms law tells you that you are cutting the current to the rear speakers in half by doing this.

Oh well, I am still happy to have a decent head unit with all the controls I am looking for and will surely end up adding a separate amp at some point.

For prospective Outback buyers, dual batter from the factory is not an offered option (according to the brochure), but trust me, it is possible and the professionals I bought mine from made it look factory under the glove box.

04OUTBACK
02-07-2007, 01:09 AM
I have one of the TuneDock FM's for my Ipod. It plugs into Cigarette lighter by steering wheel and plays through stereo on fm frequency... Easy In Easy out... also, at my fingertips... Works pretty good.

I spent a week in Orlando for work in January..... It was upper 70's most of the week... WE all need to be down there and riding !!!!! Can't wait to back my Outback in the water SOON..