PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Gear Ratio Change. Possible?

Ryann
06-27-2019, 09:25 AM
Does anyone know what it would take to change gear ratios on a modern indmar power train? Would it require a transmission swap or possibly an internal re-working?

And do you think Indmar/Skiers Choice would provide technical support for doing this as they appear to be switching to the 1.76:1 ratio.

Jeepers
04-10-2020, 12:51 AM
It’s not the the transmission it’s the V-Drive. You could swap out the V-Drive. However, I’d max out my prop diameter first. Get the largest diameter prop that will clear the trailer and give 1/2” of clearance to the hull. Then work with a prop shop to to fine tune the pitch and cup for what you’re looking for. Just note; you can’t have everything. I have a 15” on my 08 and it pulls like a tractor. Great for surf, wake, ski, tubing.... but my top end went from 48mph to 36-38mph which I’m ok with. Surf RPM’s run 2800 to maybe 3000.

You should be able to get a 16-16.5” diameter prop for that thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

larry_arizona
04-10-2020, 12:42 PM
I guess the question is why? I know the newer SC boats go with the 1.76, but is your 18 not pulling full ballast?

I guess my 18 hasn’t missed pulling any set up I have thrown at it with the 1.5. Full ballast, 4-6 crew and 500# lead no problems yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk