PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Fuel Pump Grommet Recall

Matt0520
06-24-2019, 12:49 PM
Hey all, got the call from my dealer that mine needed replaced due to possibility it may be defective. How many of you with 2019s have been affected?

If you haven’t, I’d check with your dealer...huge possible safety issue (fuel dumping into bilge). I got the recall letter from Skier’s Choice today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXSurf4
06-24-2019, 01:03 PM
Mine was affected. I got the call from my dealer on May 31st that I needed to bring it by for them look and see if it needed replacing. I took it by on the 1st and we pulled the floor and it turned out mine was affected so I left it with them and they had it replaced and back to me on the 5th of June.

The recall is on a wide range of dates for the manufacturing of the fuel pump. Something like (Sept of 18 to May of 19) so a lot of 2019 boats will be affected. They have specific dates in those months but I don’t remember what they are so I don’t want to misquote. Your dealer will have to pull your floor up and look at the date that is on the sticker of the fuel pump. It is really quick to check.

csm
06-24-2019, 01:12 PM
Mine was affected. I got the call from my dealer on May 31st that I needed to bring it by for them look and see if it needed replacing. I took it by on the 1st and we pulled the floor and it turned out mine was affected so I left it with them and they had it replaced and back to me on the 5th of June.

The recall is on a wide range of dates for the manufacturing of the fuel pump. Something like (Sept of 18 to May of 19) so a lot of 2019 boats will be affected. They have specific dates in those months but I don’t remember what they are so I don’t want to misquote. Your dealer will have to pull your floor up and look at the date that is on the sticker of the fuel pump. It is really quick to check.

Exact same timing as me. I think Rinkers would have had it back sooner but the fuel pump manufacturer hadn’t even sent them the replacements yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Matt0520
06-24-2019, 01:33 PM

Interesting, I’m late to the party then. Dealer says they have the parts, since it’s a couple hours one way I’m hoping a tech can make the drive up to me this week. [emoji1694] Don’t really want to have to tow it back and forth again.

We’ve been using it until I got the call from my dealer, I haven’t smelled a leak but definitely going to keep it parked and not chance it.

jason1973
06-24-2019, 01:37 PM
My 2019 was affected. dealer sent a tech to fix it on my dock. Great service, so i didn't have to tow it 2.5 hours. This is affecting other mfg's as well. Tige, and Malibu specifically.

Stazi
06-24-2019, 03:20 PM
My buddy had the same recall on his 2019 Malibu MXZ22, so it’s not just Skier’s Choice that is affected. So all the people bitching about SC’s quality need to friggen chillax!!

Matt0520
06-24-2019, 04:00 PM
My buddy had the same recall on his 2019 Malibu MXZ22, so it’s not just Skier’s Choice that is affected. So all the people bitching about SC’s quality need to friggen chillax!!

Anyone that thinks SC makes their own fuel pumps and fittings is high

TXSurf4
06-24-2019, 04:24 PM
Anyone that thinks SC makes their own fuel pumps and fittings is high

So true!! Even the recent Alternator issue those of us with 450s had was not SC fault at all. It really wasn't Indmar's fault either, it was their issue to deal with as it was their vendor that they purchase alternators from but that is about it.

Matt0520
06-24-2019, 04:25 PM
So true!! Even the recent Alternator issue those of us with 450s had was not SC fault at all. It really wasn't Indmar's fault either, it was their issue to deal with as it is their vendor that supplies the alternators but that is about it.

True story.

That said, I don’t think that means SC (as the customer-facing entity) doesn’t have to step up to make it right though. Which it sounds like they are. [emoji1360]

larry_arizona
06-24-2019, 04:37 PM
OEM’s however own the end product despite a vendor quality or design issue.

There is always a cost for quality.

Standing behind products is what makes the difference.

I don’t imagine the marine industry is much different automotive, OEM’s and suppliers are always searching for VEVA.

Matt0520
06-24-2019, 04:42 PM

No doubt, but that’s SCs problem to sort out behind the scenes.

I’m sure they did their due diligence when selecting their OEM/vendor partnerships. Low occurrence of problems really speaks to that

jason1973
06-24-2019, 04:57 PM
Only complaint i have is, this recall was known about 5 weeks ago. If there really was a danger to a boat starting on fire, they needed to react quicker. I still don't have a letter from SC.

TXSurf4
06-24-2019, 08:56 PM

There is always a cost for quality.

Standing behind products is what makes the difference.

I couldn’t agree more.

Only complaint i have is, this recall was known about 5 weeks ago. If there really was a danger to a boat starting on fire, they needed to react quicker. I still don't have a letter from SC.

I am not sure if I did get a letter but my dealer called me as soon as they heard about it and my boat was there before that parts even arrived. Others had the same experience with my dealer.

Might want to talk to your dealer as I feel they would be the first to know.

haknslash
06-25-2019, 10:42 AM
I was informed by my dealer the day they were informed by SC. Made a thread about it as well a few weeks ago to try and let people know https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?33376-Fuel-pump-sending-unit-grommet-recall

Mine was inspected and was not affected. I spoke with the service techs to understand just what happened and how they were identifying the affected boats. I can’t recall everything he said but he mentioned there were two brands of pumps used and depending on the pump, some of those had a bad grommet that would tear and cause fuel to leak out and into the bilge.

Kirby
06-25-2019, 04:47 PM
I made the call to the dealer when I heard about this about a week after reading. I didn't get a letter or a call so I took the initiative. I'm hoping I would have received a call or email...

haknslash
06-26-2019, 07:20 PM
Here is the letter from Skiers Choice for those that didn’t get one and how to inspect it if you wanted to verify the fuel pump date of MFG.

http://i.imgur.com/gfFUkP6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/M2BHm6e.jpg

Matt0520
06-26-2019, 07:21 PM
I was informed by my dealer the day they were informed by SC. Made a thread about it as well a few weeks ago to try and let people know https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?33376-Fuel-pump-sending-unit-grommet-recall

Mine was inspected and was not affected. I spoke with the service techs to understand just what happened and how they were identifying the affected boats. I can’t recall everything he said but he mentioned there were two brands of pumps used and depending on the pump, some of those had a bad grommet that would tear and cause fuel to leak out and into the bilge.

Sorry Kenny - forgot about that! Good thing you were not affected