PDA

View Full Version : A few questions getting rolling with my new (to me) Moomba Outback V

Tfastle
06-15-2019, 06:31 PM
Over the winter I purchased a 2008 Moomba Outback V from another state. It has factory ballast system and wake plate. I did have a very reputable boat shop do a purchase inspection, oil change, install a new water pump impeller, and winterize. It was delivered to me here in New Mexico around the 1st of the year where I covered and parked it. Now it’s time to get it going for the summer.

Before heading to the lake I would like to fire it up and make sure everything seems good. I have owned a number of stern drive runabouts but the direct/v-drive world is new to me. I’ve seen a few other posts regarding water supply while running it in my driveway. I think I am going to go with making an adapter to connect a hose to the inlet waterline at the V-drive (top port side of the transmission where the inlet line connects). Once I do this, and turn the water on, before starting it, if I leave the water running, will water start to come out of the exhaust flaps (or elsewhere). I’d really like to KNOW I have water going through the engine before starting it. Is there any reason I shouldn’t wait for water to make it’s way through the engine and out the exhaust? Once started, do I have to stay at very low RPM or will the hose deliver enough water to safely run the engine at varying rpm for a bit? While running, other than just seeing if it sounds good and seems to be running well, is there anything else I should check for?

Also, there is a drain plug (that lights up …? ) hanging out of the back of the boat, center, just above the swim deck. Obviously I put that in before putting it in the water. There’s also 2 brass plugs in the glove box. Have to assume they go somewhere. Where?

We’re excited about the new boat and I know I’ll have more questions but you gotta start somewhere!

Thanks for reading this and any input you might have!

Stazi
06-15-2019, 07:31 PM
Water won’t really get past the impeller with the boat off, as it is a positive displacement pump and you can’t bypass it. So you won’t see water for a minute or so, come out of the exhaust, for a while after you start it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tfastle
06-15-2019, 11:15 PM
Yes, that makes sense. I made the fitting to connect the hose a I described and it worked well. Boat fired right up and sounded good but I think I have an issue with the prop shaft seal. When it was running water is running out of where the drive shaft where it exits the boat - not dripping, but running. I am guessing it's not supposed to do that, is it?

I saw some posts on direct drives and it sounds like the rope in the seal is not that difficult to replace in those. How is it for a V-drive Outback?

I may start a new post on this subject.