PDA

View Full Version : Shifting into Reverse

kt_405
06-10-2019, 12:20 PM
Hey all, have a question on whether what I’m experiencing is normal or not. I’ve grown up driving boats but this is our first v-drive, purchased a very well taken care of 2017 Craz over the winter. Did the full warranty check/transfer and everything passed. Raptor 400.

My concern is, shifting into reverse takes a few seconds to engage, even when going slow it seems like it will rev up and engage pretty hard. I’ve come to learn how to do this smoothly, takes some finesse, but trying to teach others is challenging. Is this common, or sound like something I need to get checked out? Other than that it performs great.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z28ke
06-10-2019, 12:25 PM
Sounds like the linkage to the transmission needs to be adjusted. The reving up seems to me like it is applying throttle before the trans gets into reverse gear, meaning it needs to engage reverse sooner. I’m not sure if the adjustment is made at the shifter or the transmission though, but I imagine it’s pretty simple.

Matt0520
06-10-2019, 12:31 PM
Yep sounds off, mine takes a lot of travel to engage. Going from idle to reverse basically does nothing. Have to apply a bit of throttle to get the prop moving.

kt_405
06-10-2019, 12:49 PM
Yep sounds off, mine takes a lot of travel to engage. Going from idle to reverse basically does nothing. Have to apply a bit of throttle to get the prop moving.

This is kinda how mine is, just if you apply too much throttle too fast it’s pretty rough.

I will do some research on that and/or contact dealer. Do you guys know if this could be done myself? Would be a 3 hr trip to dealer otherwise..

Matt0520
06-10-2019, 12:50 PM
This is kinda how mine is, just if you apply too much throttle too fast it’s pretty rough.

I will do some research on that and/or contact dealer. Do you guys know if this could be done myself? Would be a 3 hr trip to dealer otherwise..

Hm yeah it’s definitely something that takes some finesse. In line you have to push it a bit further rearward and you’ll hear the trans/drive whine and engage

rdlangston13
06-10-2019, 02:17 PM
Mine is slow to engage but I don't ever have engine revving hard engagements. It just has a delay from when the throttle is in position to when it actually starts spinning the prop backwards. Done this since day 1 and I just chalked it up to a characteristic of this drive train. If this is not the case then I will have my dealer check it out.

Matt0520
06-10-2019, 02:18 PM
Mine is slow to engage but I don't ever have engine revving hard engagements. It just has a delay from when the throttle is in position to when it actually starts spinning the prop backwards. Done this since day 1 and I just chalked it up to a characteristic of this drive train. If this is not the case then I will have my dealer check it out.

Well said. Ditto here

haknslash
06-10-2019, 02:56 PM
Hm yeah it’s definitely something that takes some finesse. In line you have to push it a bit further rearward and you’ll hear the trans/drive whine and engage

Same for mine. Just takes some learning to find out exactly where the engage is on the reverse throttle. Forward gear seems immediate but reverse seems to have a little “slop” from where it actually engages. Maybe this is by design so people don’t accidentally engage reverse if they didn’t mean to? I dunno lol but mine is the same. I’ve got used to it already but the first few times I would rev reverse too much not anticipating the normal reverse delay plus freaking out around the dock. I still freak out around the dock though :D ....but I’ve learned the sweet spot for reverse to actually engage.

z28ke
06-10-2019, 07:31 PM
I had the dealer adjust mine on my 20hr service. When I’d put it in forward gear I would have to go a little past the “notch” (for lack of better term) for it to engage. They adjusted it so that when I feel the “notch” I know it’s in gear. That’s how my last Moomba was, and my old mastercraft Stars and Stripes for that matter, and turned out to be a preference of mine (since it bothered me enough to have them adjust it lol).

haknslash
06-24-2020, 08:24 PM
I had the dealer adjust mine on my 20hr service. When I’d put it in forward gear I would have to go a little past the “notch” (for lack of better term) for it to engage. They adjusted it so that when I feel the “notch” I know it’s in gear. That’s how my last Moomba was, and my old mastercraft Stars and Stripes for that matter, and turned out to be a preference of mine (since it bothered me enough to have them adjust it lol).

Where is the adjustment for this? I'd like to try and take some of the "slop" out on the travel. I don't want immediate engagement when leaving neutral but would like less travel before it finally engages. It seems going into forward also has some slop that either I didn't notice as much when we first got the boat or has slipped a little since then and now I'm noticing it more.

z28ke
06-26-2020, 08:45 AM
Where is the adjustment for this? I'd like to try and take some of the "slop" out on the travel. I don't want immediate engagement when leaving neutral but would like less travel before it finally engages. It seems going into forward also has some slop that either I didn't notice as much when we first got the boat or has slipped a little since then and now I'm noticing it more.

I just did some quick research and seems that if you want to tighten the slop for forward and reverse the adjustment would be at the transmission. This isn’t for a Moomba but I imagine the principle/mechanics are the same:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200626/bd314a8d89c51cc86c87bf41ec407553.jpg

Watching this video leads me to believe that if you needed to adjust either forward OR reverse then that could be done at the shifter by adjusting the brass piece that slips into the hole on the shift lever (threading it further in our out).

https://youtu.be/9KNzQxpAeE4