PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to drain old gas?

SpeedyBOI
06-05-2019, 11:42 AM
I have a 2005 moomba outback and I need to drain the gas from it as it has been sitting for over a year in the tank. What is the easiest/fastest way to make sure to get it all out before putting new gas in?

kaneboats
06-05-2019, 11:46 AM
I would disconnect the fill hose from the tank and siphon out. Then flush with a gallon or so of fresh fuel and siphon that out. Dispose of the first part properly. Use the last gallon in the lawnmower. :p

TXSurf4
06-05-2019, 11:54 AM
Not sure how it is on the 2005 but I was at my dealer this week to check my fuel pump for a recall on the grommet between the pump and tank and we pulled the floor up by removing 8 screws and then it was all right there seemed pretty easy to pull the pump out and just siphon it straight from the tank. Then I would follow the above suggestion with disposal and cleaning with a fresh gallon [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1967Goat
06-05-2019, 05:47 PM
I hadn't started my GTO in several years with old gas in it, like 5+ years. Ran a little rough at startup, but was otherwise fine. You can siphon it out, but I wouldn't bother. YMMV.

zabooda
06-05-2019, 06:02 PM
Carbureted or fuel injection? Carbureted is easy as I did that twice a year.

MLA
06-05-2019, 07:30 PM
How much in the tank? Seriously, id dump in a can of Stabil and run it like I stole it. Year old gas may be a little flat, but its not terminal.

parrothd
06-05-2019, 10:59 PM
How much in the tank? Seriously, id dump in a can of Stabil and run it like I stole it. Year old gas may be a little flat, but its not terminal.

Ditto.......

Broke Pilot
06-06-2019, 02:20 PM
Yep, year old isn’t gonna hurt. The hours you put on the boat will be much more enjoyable than the hours you put in draining gas! Lol

If the boat is fuel injected you can also hot wire the fuel pump and use it to drain the tank. Much easier and cleaner.

zabooda
06-06-2019, 05:18 PM
Yep, year old isn’t gonna hurt. The hours you put on the boat will be much more enjoyable than the hours you put in draining gas! Lol

If the boat is fuel injected you can also hot wire the fuel pump and use it to drain the tank. Much easier and cleaner.

Same with carburated. Disconnect the gas line at the carb, jumper the pump and drain a tank in 5 minutes.

Broke Pilot
06-06-2019, 06:11 PM
I wasn’t sure if the carb boats had a high pressure pump or not! Good to know

SpeedyBOI
06-18-2019, 11:19 AM
Sorry I havent been back in here. It had about 7 gallons in it from a 28 gallon tank. I just drained what I could and pushed new gas in with it. Seems fine.

trayson
06-18-2019, 12:25 PM
What is the easiest/fastest way to make sure to get it all out before putting new gas in?

…Surfing
:-P