PDA

View Full Version : What's a ballpark on pricing?

Surgical_ass
05-29-2019, 03:54 PM
We are looking to order a Craz around the first of the year. We are building things out now. We have a budget that is right at what we can build the boat for but will basically need the tax taken off the maintain budget. My question is are we realistic in being able to get 10-11% off a new build or should we be thinking about used? I like the idea of getting the initial depreciation taken off with used but I doubt that we will find the color scheme we really want. I dont like the idea of settling to save a few thousand. Just for kicks I built out a mojo to see how far off we were and it looks like it would take about 15% off to get us there. Out of the question? I understand that these boats don't have as much negotiating wiggle room as some of the high end brands just trying to get the percentage off ball park we should be prepared for. Thanks!

KnoxMojo
05-29-2019, 05:43 PM
If you can hold out until the 2020s come out, you can get a heck of a deal on a leftover 2019. I have bought my last 3 boats in this manner. No one can give you an exact percentage, but its significant after the new model year drops.

MJHSupra
05-29-2019, 07:21 PM
Yep, Once they start releasing 2020, dealers will be trying to get rid of anything with 2019 year on it. Great deals.

Word of caution, SC boats are selling like crazy this year. So a 2019 will be 1) in shorter supply and 2) will sell quick when discounted. Be ready if you find your color.

If you are ready, the 2020 boat shows will have great pricing. Not sure of your location. That will be Q1 of 2020.

For example, guess how many new Supras our local Knoxville dealer has and it’s not June 1st? Zero. Thus, won’t be many to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surgical_ass
05-29-2019, 07:38 PM
Yep, Once they start releasing 2020, dealers will be trying to get rid of anything with 2019 year on it. Great deals.

Word of caution, SC boats are selling like crazy this year. So a 2019 will be 1) in shorter supply and 2) will sell quick when discounted. Be ready if you find your color.

If you are ready, the 2020 boat shows will have great pricing. Not sure of your location. That will be Q1 of 2020.

For example, guess how many new Supras our local Knoxville dealer has and it’s not June 1st? Zero. Thus, won’t be many to sell.

I was thinking of trying to get something going at the boat show in Nashville. Figured it would prob be one of the better times to negotiate an order. What is the typical increase in price from year to year on the new models? I know you guys can't give specifics on prices but am I reasonable to assume that a deal could be made fairly easily in the 10% off range on a new order at the boat show? Thanks again for the insight this is a huge purchase for the family just trying to get all my ducks in a row ahead of time.

KnoxMojo
05-29-2019, 07:43 PM
The boat show each year offers specific deals, that's really the best you're going to do all year. Most of the time they will offer money off and maybe an extended warranty or free upgrades on the boat. If you find a leftover you can live with, jump on it. Big discount over current model and full warranty, sometimes extended as well.

sandm
05-29-2019, 07:43 PM
surgical,
not sure I'd hold out for a leftover since it appears color is going to be a big deal for your group. spend a little extra coin to get the color you want rather than saving a buck to fit a payment and stuck with a boat you are not really happy with and have to look at every day.

mj is right on some respects in that boats are selling well this year but there will be leftovers and shipping a boat is not real expensive in the grand scheme of things. there's still a few leftover '18's on onlyinboards and sure if you really searched there's more out there on CL/KSL and other avenues.
being in TN offers a lot of states with good shipping options. there will be dealers with 2020's on the lot in a month and quite a few of those will sit over the winter so you might even get a deal on a current model buying it in oct/nov.

Kirby
05-29-2019, 08:00 PM
I've never been told not to disclose the deal I got but I notice people are reluctant to do so. In 2018 the Max msrp at a boat show was 78k, but that was with 4250 for freight, so the boat itself was 74k. Boat show price was 69k. Similar deal this year, although the base price went up, or at least the options made it so (better tower, gator step, etc.). In my mind, the show discount accounted for sales tax. Basically, show discount plus tax equals MSRP on the build. That's how I looked at it. Worked out great. You are so close to the factory that your freight may not be that high.

Surgical_ass
05-29-2019, 09:00 PM
At what point for orders do you start ordering 2020 vs 2019? November or so?

Kirby
05-29-2019, 11:37 PM
I was waiting to hear what the boat show incentives were, and it was 1500 off and 2 extra years warranty. I told my dealer I was waiting and at the end of Dec. he told me he could get me the incentives then. Boat show was over a month away, but I got the extra warranty. I never did ask about the 1500 off because he threw in triton racks and extra ballast, plus some smaller things. Another thing to consider if you order a boat is the build date. Dealers only get a certain amount. For example, I had my choice of Feb, March, or May, and only those would have gotten my boat to me before summer. I put a deposit down in October to hold my spot, then finalized everything late December. I could have saved several thousand and bought a leftover 18, but I really wanted the new upgrades and wanted my own colors. Well worth it. Couldn't be happier.

sandm
05-30-2019, 10:33 AM
most boat manufacturers with a spray date after the beginning of July will tag them as a next year model. you will see 2020's on dealer lots and onlyinboards around the first of august.

current model year or custom order from what I have seen over the years on here, Kirby is pretty much spot on. if you get 5-8% off msrp you're doing pretty good. dealers will often toss in all kinds of other stuffs to make the deal but once they are a holdover would expect a few more % off but now you are stuck with what's on the lots.

sure you know this but if it's sitting on the lot you have a better negotiating position. if it's a custom order, you really aren't in the drivers seat as the dealer doesn't have any skin in the game yet. most can get you a spray date anytime as they will negotiate another boat dealers spec boat spray but this will cost you extra-meaning less discount.

MJHSupra
05-30-2019, 10:57 AM
At what point for orders do you start ordering 2020 vs 2019? November or so?

I thought with the SC boats, August will be time frame when 2020 start to showing up (a few) and all the new 2020 announcements are made.

MJHSupra
05-30-2019, 11:05 AM
What is the typical increase in price from year to year on the new models?

I think i recall reading the price increase last year was around 7% on the Moomba line. I think Supra was more.
Dealers will have this info once they hear it from from SC.

You will have a pretty good deal going if you buy that, once you get your spray date, you head over to the SC factory and watch the boat being made.

Surgical_ass
05-31-2019, 04:16 PM
For those of you who finance do you go through the dealers financing institution or do you go through another 3rd party financier? What sort of interest rates are you guys getting? Any recommendations on third-party financing just to cross-check rates?

Prospersigman
05-31-2019, 05:01 PM
With 800 or better credit score depending on term length and amount you could see 4.5%-5.75%

sandm
05-31-2019, 05:05 PM
I have used independent financing from credit unions the last 2 new boat purchases. current boat was purchased used private party and credit union.
they will typically have better rates than normal banks. always check your dealer first tho as he gets a kickback from financing and could toss in some freebies for using them.

spend some time and shop around but don't really waste a lot of your time until you are within a couple weeks of purchasing. with the economy and our "president", there's bound to be lots of drama in the market for a while and rumors are feds will be cutting rates the next go around to combat some of his crazy decisions on trade.

last boat was at 1.9% thru capital credit union in wisconsin. current boat is 3.9 at same bank. found a lot of rates in the high3's-low4's when we shopped last fall.

larry_arizona
05-31-2019, 05:06 PM
https://michiganfirst.com/loans/rates/#marine

Outstanding lender to deal with.

Rates are higher than last year but this CU is awesome.

Prospersigman
05-31-2019, 05:20 PM
You are not getting 1.9% on $130k boat loan for 120 months or longer.

Now if we are talking $30k for 60 months maybe...it all depends on term and how much you are financing as long as you have prime credit.

Surgical_ass
05-31-2019, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the info! Those rates are better than I was assuming(6-7%) and we have excellent credit.

sandm
05-31-2019, 08:48 PM
You are not getting 1.9% on $130k boat loan for 120 months or longer.

Now if we are talking $30k for 60 months maybe...it all depends on term and how much you are financing as long as you have prime credit.

believe it or not they would do 1.9 on that 130k boat with a down. not 20 years but 15. I refi'ed my '12 boat when I moved there in '13 for 1.9% on a 60k remaining balance-12 years. my last 2 cars were at 1.9 and truck is at 1.9-6 years as a used. their rates are up like everyones but 3.9 is pretty easy to get from them.
I know that no one will believe but I bought my house in '13 from them when I moved there. 30 year amortization with a 5 year balloon at 1.9 financing. 20% down on a 199k house. they were an AWESOME bank to deal with but you have to live in the green bay area and to join. since I never closed accounts when I left WI I am able to buy vehicles/boats thru them.

just saying there are banks out there like this if you shop around.

RC_Hinojosa
06-11-2019, 06:28 PM
+1 for what Sandman said, if color scheme is of importance, custom order is the way to go.

There could be great discounts on a holdover model but most are dealer spec and boring.

At the end of the day, these toys are HUGE discretionary expenses so you should get what you truly want and not settle to save a few bucks.

At this price tier I'd rather wait until I had the coin to get it built to my own personal spec.

Buyer's remorse lingers way longer than feelings from a great deal on a boat you didn't really have your heart set on.

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk

Arcadyus
06-11-2019, 11:50 PM
We just got our makai ordered. We saved $11,000 off moombas msrp

RC_Hinojosa
06-12-2019, 07:31 AM
Sweet, Dad FTW

Surgical_ass
06-12-2019, 08:41 AM
Thanks for all the insight! We have had an unexpected week. I got to looking online at 2018 pricing Just out of curiosity. Ended up finding a demo 2018 mojo (8hrs) that had a color scheme that we both like. The dealer shot a price that we couldnt pass up. The only thing is it is 1000 miles each way. I have decide to go ahead and pull the trigger assuming everything is good when I take it out. Now im trying to think of all the things I will need to do/check to get it back safely. Any insight on a long haul would be appreciated. I'm thinking of raping the tower in industrial suran wrap. Would raping the top edge before the cover goes on help with gel scuff? Would wrapping the straps that attach to the trailer help as well? Thanks again!

larry_arizona
06-12-2019, 08:43 AM
I don’t recommend raping your tower.....I am sure some how that is illegal.

But wrapping the tower would not be a bad idea.

RC_Hinojosa
06-12-2019, 08:51 AM
Saran Wrap on the tower is great to keep bugs off bimini, cans & racks.

On long trip many in the community will Saran Wrap above and slightly below the beltline to protect the gel coat.

The best thing I've seen guys do to protect the transom straps from rubbing is cutting a pool noodle to slip over the surf tabs or supposedly you can reach out to Boatmate with your trailer VIN for the spacer kit if it already doesn't have it. I'm not sure where between the 18s and 19s they started putting a spacer behind the transom buckle.

DO NOT IGNORE the 2000 mile round trip for unexpected service work. A great price is of no true value if you can't easily get to your dealer.

larry_arizona
06-12-2019, 08:56 AM
I agree with dealer service after the sale. My dealer has done some awesome things!!

RC_Hinojosa
06-12-2019, 09:03 AM
I agree with dealer service after the sale. My dealer has done some awesome things!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk+1000

Rinker's got me lessons with Sean Silveria & VIP passes to PWT Stop #1.

They go above and beyond to keep me and all their other customers satisfied.

Dropping off a wakeboat at the dealer is not like dropping off a Honda Civic, relationship matters, especially when the service dept has a long line.

Arcadyus
06-12-2019, 09:50 AM
If there is a dealer closer to him and his boat is under warranty. Does that closer dealer have to service the boat?

RC_Hinojosa
06-12-2019, 09:58 AM
If there is a dealer closer to him and his boat is under warranty. Does that closer dealer have to service the boat?Yes, the closer dealer has to service the boat but the owner would fall to the back of the line behind that dealer's actual customers...

larry_arizona
06-12-2019, 10:51 AM
Agree, it’s all about priority.

Surgical_ass
06-12-2019, 11:05 AM
The dealer I'm buying from initiated in reaching out to my local dealer letting him know what was going on and making sure I would be taken care of. I thought this was a cool thing to do. Ive been by my local dealer a few times and they are a great bunch of guys. I understand that I may be pushed behind customers that bought fron them but I'm ok with that. I still feel that I will recieve excellent service. My biggest concern is that I dont want to scuff the gel coat on the way back.

sandm
06-12-2019, 11:06 AM
for me, a boat that only has 8 hours and is a dealer demo should be like new. 2000 miles round trip is several days. not even factoring what your time is worth that's a grand to go, pick it up and drive back in gas/hotel/food not to mention wear/tear on the tow rig.
negotiate them wrapping the boat for shipment in the deal(that's like $150 for them in labor/materials) and pay someone off uship $1200 to transport it for you and I'd sit at home waiting for it. the few additional $$ spent on transport would where my cash would go.

my comfort level buying a dealer demo with 8hrs wouldn't require a lake test but everyone is different in that regard.

either way good luck......

RC_Hinojosa
06-12-2019, 11:07 AM
The dealer I'm buying from initiated in reaching out to my local dealer letting him know what was going on and making sure I would be taken care of. I thought this was a cool thing to do. Ive been by my local dealer a few times and they are a great bunch of guys. I understand that I may be pushed behind customers that bought fron them but I'm ok with that. I still feel that I will recieve excellent service. My biggest concern is that I dont want to scuff the gel coat on the way back.Go to Costco and get the industrial size roll of Kirklands Saran Wrap and you'll be golden.

Surgical_ass
06-12-2019, 11:07 AM
I don’t recommend raping your tower.....I am sure some how that is illegal.

But wrapping the tower would not be a bad idea.

Maybe illegal but probably just frowned upon

Prospersigman
06-12-2019, 02:05 PM
Unless your from AR...sorry KG:cool:

Surgical_ass
06-12-2019, 03:22 PM
The cover it has ratchets in the back. Are there side straps as well? The pictures dont show any. How well do these types of covers travel? Should I still be thinking about Saran wrapping before the cover goes on?

RC_Hinojosa
06-12-2019, 03:26 PM
The cover it has ratchets in the back. Are there side straps as well? The pictures dont show any. How well do these types of covers travel? Should I still be thinking about Saran wrapping before the cover goes on?Bruh, what do you think the Saran wrap is for?? Keeps the MOORING cover from rubbing your gel coat while traveling.

[emoji2357]

larry_arizona
06-12-2019, 03:35 PM
I will say the Supra trailering covers are outstanding, no chaffing at all.

Wake 9 had 3500+ miles on his SL trip last year and did a video on the cover with ZERO damage to gel. It’s tight and pulls a vacuum at speed.

RC_Hinojosa
06-12-2019, 03:42 PM

Wake 9 had 3500+ miles on his SL trip last year and did a video on the cover with ZERO damage to gel. It’s tight and pulls a vacuum at speed.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThe covers are from different manufacturers between Moomba & Supra.

People still trailer with the cover from Moomba even though it's intended for mooring. Gel coat mileage may vary....

I'm super OCD about my gorgeous Ultra Blue Flake so other than long distances I tow without the cover but I also have Rock Tamer flaps on my hitch covering my 35s.

TXSurf4
06-12-2019, 05:33 PM

Supra Covers are sick!! I believe you can get them for the Moomba Boats from the Cover Manufacturer for about the same $ as the one you can get with the boat. I don't believe they are over tower covers. Unfortunately they don't have one for the Makai yet :(

RC_Hinojosa
06-12-2019, 05:41 PM
Supra Covers are sick!! I believe you can get them for the Moomba Boats from the Cover Manufacturer for about the same $ as the one you can get with the boat. I don't believe they are over tower covers. Unfortunately they don't have one for the Makai yet :(Yeah, the maker for Supra is Outer Armor. If I did a lot of trailering, I'd definitely get an Evolution cover but you'd be looking at a fall shipment with Corey's backlog.

sandm
06-12-2019, 05:51 PM
a thousand miles I'd have the boat wrapped prior to. I did 1800 miles from idaho to wisconsin and back to utah and wrapped it each time.

I know there's not much difference in 20 miles to the ramp and 1000 miles to a new home but sure gave me peace of mind to have it all snugged up.
the cover I did from idaho to wi was a different wrap that I was careful to remove and used it as a winter storage cover for 3 years to keep the dust off it in the warehouse I stored it in.

Matt0520
06-13-2019, 12:38 PM
The cover it has ratchets in the back. Are there side straps as well? The pictures dont show any. How well do these types of covers travel? Should I still be thinking about Saran wrapping before the cover goes on?

Have you been on the 2019s? I don't know if your deal is inked yet but I would definitely urge you to go with the 19s over an 18 if you can. Resale might be a bit better, hopefully longer til the next update, and I think the Wet Sounds system, vinyl, dash, etc. are all worthwhile upgrades.

Anyway, there is only one ratchet point (in back) on the factory covers. There's a front strap (goes through winch on bow), and rear straps on the corners of the stern. Stern ones are really important to get tight to pull tension from there to the hang tyte and ensure rain slides off and doesn't puddle.

There are strap buckles on the side, right under the tower, but those are just to connect the circumferential strap the ratchet tightens.

Surgical_ass
06-13-2019, 12:45 PM
Have you been on the 2019s? I don't know if your deal is inked yet but I would definitely urge you to go with the 19s over an 18 if you can. Resale might be a bit better, hopefully longer til the next update, and I think the Wet Sounds system, vinyl, dash, etc. are all worthwhile upgrades.

Anyway, there is only one ratchet point (in back) on the factory covers. There's a front strap (goes through winch on bow), and rear straps on the corners of the stern. Stern ones are really important to get tight to pull tension from there to the hang tyte and ensure rain slides off and doesn't puddle.

There are strap buckles on the side, right under the tower, but those are just to connect the circumferential strap the ratchet tightens.

Ive thought about holding out for a '19. We initially thought we would be ordering a Craz at the end of the year but with the deal we got on the '18 it was hard to walk away from a bigger boat with more upgrades than we initially planned for less money. I'm planning on adding wetsounds soon. Thanks for the insight on the cover these things are all brand new so until I get mine you guys are a huge help!

Matt0520
06-13-2019, 12:52 PM
Ive thought about holding out for a '19. We initially thought we would be ordering a Craz at the end of the year but with the deal we got on the '18 it was hard to walk away from a bigger boat with more upgrades than we initially planned for less money. I'm planning on adding wetsounds soon. Thanks for the insight on the cover these things are all brand new so until I get mine you guys are a huge help!

True story! Out lake limit around here is 22, so that decision was pretty much made for us haha.

larry_arizona
06-13-2019, 12:54 PM
Who measures the boat?

schwan
06-13-2019, 09:10 PM
It only takes one jerk neighbor to search it out, some people have nothing else better to do...

Surgical_ass
06-13-2019, 10:10 PM
It only takes one jerk neighbor to search it out, some people have nothing else better to do...

Do you have any pictures of your goofy (or regular) wake? That's about the same amount of weight I plan on running

schwan
06-14-2019, 11:49 AM
Do you have any pictures of your goofy (or regular) wake? That's about the same amount of weight I plan on runningDon't have any on this phone yet, but this weight has been awesome. Could use even more honestly. I put most of the lead up front under the observers seat/helm.

Matt0520
06-16-2019, 09:18 AM
Who measures the boat?

No need, it’s right on the registration

larry_arizona
06-16-2019, 09:28 AM
It just sounds funny if you imagine the water rent a cops with a 25 foot tape measure fiddlefucking around trying to measure 22 feet.

larry_arizona
06-16-2019, 10:08 AM
I just looked at my registration......20’6” lol

That sounds kinda short for an SA

Matt0520
06-16-2019, 10:10 AM
I just looked at my registration......20’6” lol

That sounds kinda short for an SA

Lol if I ever get an SA I’m photoshopping my reg :)

There is a private lake near here with lots for like $3k. Tempted to buy a lot to get access but they cap at 20’6”. Photoshop skills would be essential there too

KnoxMojo
06-16-2019, 01:45 PM
Some places actually measure at the ramp, they use a drain plug deal that hangs down, then measure to the bow. They also have this thing called Google.. lol

Matt0520
06-16-2019, 01:46 PM
Right lol. Name of the boat is right there on the side https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190616/a94fa3aa5c8263775cc895c7bd38948e.jpg

rdlangston13
06-18-2019, 08:43 AM
Right lol. Name of the boat is right there on the side https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190616/a94fa3aa5c8263775cc895c7bd38948e.jpg

Take the name off and get custom domed letters that say MONDO and stick em on the side.

Surgical_ass
06-24-2019, 01:27 PM
Thought id update for anyone in the future who was I curious like me about pricing.
Just got a '18 mojo demo with 8hrs original sticker price was $86,000 I picked it up for $69,700 not including tax. It would have been a different story had it been brand new. Took alot of time searching and we found something we felt we werent compromising on.

MJHSupra
06-24-2019, 07:38 PM
8 hours on a 2018, nice.

Tatersalad
09-01-2020, 10:01 AM
Hello all, just starting out on research for a new Moomba. If we custom build, can we expect some discount from the MSRP. Just custom built a Ram Truck and was so happy with the deal and the discount associated with custom order since the dealer doesn’t have to keep the vehicle on the lot. Does boat builds work the same? I know Moombas are hot right now, but will they generally come off MSRP?

sandm
09-01-2020, 10:52 AM
we were quoted in the 6 to 7% range for a new 2021 build. that seems to be the norm if you order new.
if you are shopping other brands you will likely find larger discounts off an inflated msrp so be sure to not shop discounts but rather end price.

leftovers can have a larger discount BUT those will be almost impossible to find this year unless you don't care about color nor options. not a lot out there so dealers don't have to discount much yet.

if you are doing new, get a deposit sooner than later. spots are going fast.

chevyguy2021
09-01-2020, 02:59 PM
we were quoted in the 6 to 7% range for a new 2021 build. that seems to be the norm if you order new.
if you are shopping other brands you will likely find larger discounts off an inflated msrp so be sure to not shop discounts but rather end price.

leftovers can have a larger discount BUT those will be almost impossible to find this year unless you don't care about color nor options. not a lot out there so dealers don't have to discount much yet.

if you are doing new, get a deposit sooner than later. spots are going fast.

We just got like 7% off MSRP on our 2021

svienb
09-11-2020, 09:15 AM
I'm looking to buy a used Supra/Moomba from dealer. What discounts are any of you seeing?
It's tough to negotiate with high demand.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RC_Hinojosa
09-11-2020, 09:25 AM
I'm looking to buy a used Supra/Moomba from dealer. What discounts are any of you seeing?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TapatalkThat depends on how much inventory your dealer is sitting on.

Mine has a very limited few, so no discount.

Sent from my Note 9 using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
09-11-2020, 10:15 AM

I would expect zero discount on used boats right now, some go above asking if you get in a bidding war.

svienb
09-11-2020, 10:22 AM
That depends on how much inventory your dealer is sitting on.

Mine has a very limited few, so no discount.

Sent from my Note 9 using TapatalkThat's the problem zero inventory, and this is a 100k plus used boat.
Im being told they have people looking at it everyday, they haven't even posted it.

RC_Hinojosa
09-11-2020, 10:44 AM
That's the problem zero inventory, and this is a 100k plus used boat.
Im being told they have people looking at it everyday, they haven't even posted it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TapatalkIf you want a boat in today's market you're gonna have to pony up, there won't be any haggling.

Not to be overly pessimistic but if you hypothetically entertained the very real possibility that the convergence of flu & COVID this fall and winter creates the next big wave...big enough for more shutdowns. It's not out of the realm of possibility new production could be further hampered.

996scott
09-11-2020, 06:01 PM
just got back from our dealer and they had 3 or 4 used Supras on the floor. All were well north of $100K. I have no idea if they will negotiate but if you are looking for a used Supra you could call Marine Products.

svienb
09-12-2020, 09:17 AM
just got back from our dealer and they had 3 or 4 used Supras on the floor. All were well north of $100K. I have no idea if they will negotiate but if you are looking for a used Supra you could call Marine Products.Thanks I will check them out. I demoed a 2020 Axis T23 last night, yes the interior is dreadful and yes the engine sounds like it's being tortured but boy what a wake!

larry_arizona
09-12-2020, 10:48 AM
Thanks I will check them out. I demoed a 2020 Axis T23 last night, yes the interior is dreadful and yes the engine sounds like it's being tortured but boy what a wake!

When you were driving it with a surf wake, what did you think of the bow rise and the forward visibility?

svienb
09-12-2020, 10:56 AM
When you were driving it with a surf wake, what did you think of the bow rise and the forward visibility?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkBow rise was significant but I'm 6.2 so I didn't find it that bad for visibility.

Isaguel
09-12-2020, 11:14 AM
I rode in an Axis 22 a few years ago and I remember the bow rise, man, you just about had to stand to see forward. Do those boats have bow sacks?

KnoxMojo
09-12-2020, 02:27 PM
I rode in an Axis 22 a few years ago and I remember the bow rise, man, you just about had to stand to see forward. Do those boats have bow sacks?

They do have bow sacks if the dealer or end user puts it in. But even then, with the wedge, bow rise is huge!! I have to stand to see in a friends boat and fight the wheel the entire time, it isn't very much fun to drive.

Guppydriver
09-15-2020, 01:02 PM
I've always found it so fascinating that there is such a plethora of consumer friendly purchase resources for automobile buying available, but yet, it remains somewhat taboo to talk about boat pricing. A dealer won't sell you a boat unless it is advantageous to him/her in some regard. That could be creating floor space, profit, creating brand loyalty, future repair and service work, etc... I wish I knew exactly what people were buying their Moombas for. That would give me a leverage as a noob when trying to negotiate a fair deal with my dealer. I know that every deal is different, and what somewhat can negotiate in September in Tennessee on a purple and green boat has no bearing on what I can negotiate in Utah in May. Your good deal doesn't make you a great negotiator, it makes you a benefactor of good timing and circumstances. That being said, information is healthy and I wish everyone would be more transparent in what they paid before TTL. It would also be great to know what people are getting from the "pro shops" and extra bones getting tossed their way to seal the deal. If anything it gives a new buyer a little more confidence when they enter a showroom. For most, it's the second biggest purchase of their lives, and it can be intimidating.

That being said.....I do have two perspectives.

I hear time and time again, that the entry level brands have slim margins and therefore relatively low % discounts off list price. I also hear people say that seedealercost.com is a good tool to gauge dealer invoice and provide at least a baseline from which to start. Well, when I go to seedealercost and do the simple math, it appears that the entry level brands (Axis, Moomba,MC NXT, even MB) have virtually the same percentage mark ups as any other premium brand. The difference between list and invoice (according to seedealercost) on 2020 Moombas is 22%. Either the website is woefully inaccurate or the notion that entry level brands have razor thin margins is a dealer invented tool to maximize profits. Don't get me wrong, the dealer owns the boat and reserves the right to sell it for whatever they want, but either the margin is 22% (before freight, dealer prep, and doc fee mind you) or it isn't. I fully understand that a constant percent of less money equals less profit, so a dealer will make more money on a very high priced boat even if it has a lower percentile discount. Maybe it's just semantics, but I would prefer the dealer say "we just we need to make more money on this boat", then to act like the margins are different from the other boats they sell. The way they pitch it, they act like a 15% discount would be sold at a loss. It wouldn't. It would be at a 7% profit plus ancillary fees. Thats 7 grand on a 100k boat...with doc and prep...probably 8 grand. Is that enough profit when you only have 50 boats to sell in a year? Probably not, but as a buyer, it's at least worth knowing.

The other thing I found interesting is that when I spoke to my Centurion dealer about a Supreme I am looking at, he mentioned that they did studies which indicate that the average customer who purchases a boat there, on average, ends up buying 2.7 boats from them throughout the course of their lives. I can almost guarantee you that boats 2 to 2.7 lol are a lot more expensive than boat 1. Like with pickups, people are fiercely brand loyal with boats and boat dealers. He didn't just want to sell me a Supreme. He wanted to sell me a Supreme, then a Centurion, then another Centurion with 30 of the bow cut off apparently :). New, first time, buyers should always express interest in the premium lines as part of tactic in negotiating their entry level brand. Just my 2 cents.

Anyway, sorry for the long first post. I'm quarantined for the second time in two months because of family members and I'm scared I'm going to be the first human to actually finish Netflix.

larry_arizona
09-15-2020, 01:19 PM
I've always found it so fascinating that there is such a plethora of consumer friendly purchase resources for automobile buying available, but yet, it remains somewhat taboo to talk about boat pricing. A dealer won't sell you a boat unless it is advantageous to him/her in some regard. That could be creating floor space, profit, creating brand loyalty, future repair and service work, etc... I wish I knew exactly what people were buying their Moombas for. That would give me a leverage as a noob when trying to negotiate a fair deal with my dealer. I know that every deal is different, and what somewhat can negotiate in September in Tennessee on a purple and green boat has no bearing on what I can negotiate in Utah in May. Your good deal doesn't make you a great negotiator, it makes you a benefactor of good timing and circumstances. That being said, information is healthy and I wish everyone would be more transparent in what they paid before TTL. It would also be great to know what people are getting from the "pro shops" and extra bones getting tossed their way to seal the deal. If anything it gives a new buyer a little more confidence when they enter a showroom. For most, it's the second biggest purchase of their lives, and it can be intimidating.

That being said.....I do have two perspectives.

I hear time and time again, that the entry level brands have slim margins and therefore relatively low % discounts off list price. I also hear people say that seedealercost.com is a good tool to gauge dealer invoice and provide at least a baseline from which to start. Well, when I go to seedealercost and do the simple math, it appears that the entry level brands (Axis, Moomba,MC NXT, even MB) have virtually the same percentage mark ups as any other premium brand. The difference between list and invoice (according to seedealercost) on 2020 Moombas is 22%. Either the website is woefully inaccurate or the notion that entry level brands have razor thin margins is a dealer invented tool to maximize profits. Don't get me wrong, the dealer owns the boat and reserves the right to sell it for whatever they want, but either the margin is 22% (before freight, dealer prep, and doc fee mind you) or it isn't. I fully understand that a constant percent of less money equals less profit, so a dealer will make more money on a very high priced boat even if it has a lower percentile discount. Maybe it's just semantics, but I would prefer the dealer say "we just we need to make more money on this boat", then to act like the margins are different from the other boats they sell. The way they pitch it, they act like a 15% discount would be sold at a loss. It wouldn't. It would be at a 7% profit plus ancillary fees. Thats 7 grand on a 100k boat...with doc and prep...probably 8 grand. Is that enough profit when you only have 50 boats to sell in a year? Probably not, but as a buyer, it's at least worth knowing.

The other thing I found interesting is that when I spoke to my Centurion dealer about a Supreme I am looking at, he mentioned that they did studies which indicate that the average customer who purchases a boat there, on average, ends up buying 2.7 boats from them throughout the course of their lives. I can almost guarantee you that boats 2 to 2.7 lol are a lot more expensive than boat 1. Like with pickups, people are fiercely brand loyal with boats and boat dealers. He didn't just want to sell me a Supreme. He wanted to sell me a Supreme, then a Centurion, then another Centurion with 30 of the bow cut off apparently :). New, first time, buyers should always express interest in the premium lines as part of tactic in negotiating their entry level brand. Just my 2 cents.

Anyway, sorry for the long first post. I'm quarantined for the second time in two months because of family members and I'm scared I'm going to be the first human to actually finish Netflix.

Just curious. How much profit do you think a dealer should make?

6-7% seems to be the going discount on Moombas.

The thing you may not realize is that Skier’s Choice dealer network is territorial, everyone stays in their territory and won’t poach sales from another dealers territory.

Also, SC only builds so many boats per year.

Both of these facts makes the marketing model vastly different than automotive dealers. Auto dealers will sell to anyone and most cars and trucks have plenty of supply.

At the end of the day, if you pass on what you feel is the dealer not giving you a big enough discount, there is another buyer who will buy it and think it is enough.

The boat game is just different than automotive.

Guppydriver
09-15-2020, 03:51 PM
Just curious. How much profit do you think a dealer should make?

6-7% seems to be the going discount on Moombas.

The thing you may not realize is that Skier’s Choice dealer network is territorial, everyone stays in their territory and won’t poach sales from another dealers territory.

Also, SC only builds so many boats per year.

Both of these facts makes the marketing model vastly different than automotive dealers. Auto dealers will sell to anyone and most cars and trucks have plenty of supply.

At the end of the day, if you pass on what you feel is the dealer not giving you a big enough discount, there is another buyer who will buy it and think it is enough.

The boat game is just different than automotive.

Sure..great points. To answer your question...as much as they can, but certainly enough to make it beneficial as opposed to not selling the boat. I don't work for free and I surely don't expect the women and men at dealerships to either. Plus I want them to see me as a worthwhile investment when I come in with after sale issues. I wasn't complaining, just making an observation on the common theme about "margin" that I hear pertaining to entry level boats. I fully get that your per unit revenue has to be MUCH higher than an auto dealership which sells more units in a week than a boat dealership does in a year.

Although the boat game is indeed different than the auto industry, I don't think it necessarily needs to be with regards to pricing transparency, that's all I'm saying. I'd trade away a million ridiculously inflated list prices to see one true invoice price that includes regional and seasonal incentives. That way I feel more comfortable negotiating up from that price, ensuring that I feel like I was treated with integrity, while also ensuring that my sales associate and dealership were properly compensated for their time and skillset.

larry_arizona
09-15-2020, 04:35 PM
If you are shopping moomba, expect 6-8% off MSRP, negotiate your first 20 hour service as it’s required and a $400-$600 bill, most dealers throw in ropes, anchor and life jacket kit. You probably can expect a 20% discount for a year on gear and boards if they have a pro shop.

You should be able to get whatever boat show incentives for this year too, no idea if there will be any this year.

larry_arizona
09-15-2020, 05:10 PM
It really boils down to supply and demand. Boats are extremely hot right now, I recently read that boat loans are up 355% compared to 2019.

Demand is sky high, Skier’s choice has limited supply, build slots filling fast if you want to custom build, it’s pretty awesome building your own boat that fits your family.

I would say Malibu/Axis is your best bet for a deal because they have MUCH higher volume.

KnoxMojo
09-15-2020, 08:04 PM
Part of the pricing and people being somewhat hush hush is that you're not negotiating and buying a honda civic, more like a Mercedes or bmw even for "budget" boats and upwards. See dealer cost is an ok tool, but it doesn't account for a lot of variables. In the end, don't "expect" a discount off msrp, but go in, build a relationship with your dealer and work a deal you feel comfortable with. 2021 build spots are filling fast, lower inventory drives higher demand and prices as well. Of course some people will get a "bro" deal, others will pay more, just as with anything else.

Prospersigman
09-16-2020, 02:49 PM
There is really zero transparency with regards to pricing...it really comes down to supply and demand. When the demand is low and dealers have boats sitting on their lots for months and months the prices drop. When boats are sold before they hit the lots or shortly thereafter then you pay MSRP or closer to it.

There are "bro-deals" in the boating industry and how those "bro-deals" are ascertained is something that even after 10 years of boating I have yet to figure out completely. For example I have bought 3 boats, 1 Mojo, 1 Supra SA and 1 Supra SL from the same dealer. I have also sent at least 5 other people to them that have bought boats from them. I have purchased all of my pro shop boards, life jackets, One Wheels, etc from them and all servicing done there...you would think that I would get a "bro-deal" over a 1st-time buyer that has never stepped foot into the dealership before.

RC_Hinojosa
09-16-2020, 02:58 PM
There is really zero transparency with regards to pricing...it really comes down to supply and demand. When the demand is low and dealers have boats sitting on their lots for months and months the prices drop. When boats are sold before they hit the lots or shortly thereafter then you pay MSRP or closer to it.

There are "bro-deals" in the boating industry and how those "bro-deals" are ascertained is something that even after 10 years of boating I have yet to figure out completely. For example I have bought 3 boats, 1 Mojo, 1 Supra SA and 1 Supra SL from the same dealer. I have also sent at least 5 other people to them that have bought boats from them. I have purchased all of my pro shop boards, life jackets, One Wheels, etc from them and all servicing done there...you would think that I would get a "bro-deal" over a 1st-time buyer that has never stepped foot into the dealership before.I could be totally off-base but I assumed the bro deal was for the guys that flip their boat every single year. Rance for example...

larry_arizona
09-16-2020, 03:03 PM
Buying my 2nd SA and dealer is just as fair as the first time.

Some dealers may be taking advantage of the market and you can’t exactly blame them if there are 3.5x the boat buyers.

Guppydriver
09-16-2020, 10:41 PM
If you are shopping moomba, expect 6-8% off MSRP, negotiate your first 20 hour service as it’s required and a $400-$600 bill, most dealers throw in ropes, anchor and life jacket kit. You probably can expect a 20% discount for a year on gear and boards if they have a pro shop.

You should be able to get whatever boat show incentives for this year too, no idea if there will be any this year.

Spot on Larry. Lol. Well Done.

I just returned from my appointment with Marine Products where I received a build sheet for a 21’ Max. Looks like I was offered almost exactly 7% off list with the first service included plus the discount in the pro shop. I was hoping I could get some ballast, ropes and maybe one beginner board thrown in, but maybe when I come in with my checkbook next time, I can convince him throw in a few more freebies if I promise to write out the deposit then and there.

I was pretty impressed with the value proposition, it actually came in noticeably cheaper than the Supreme I am comparing it to. The Supreme is more than a foot longer though.

russellsmojo
09-16-2020, 10:54 PM
Part of the pricing and people being somewhat hush hush is that you're not negotiating and buying a honda civic, more like a Mercedes or bmw even for "budget" boats and upwards. See dealer cost is an ok tool, but it doesn't account for a lot of variables. In the end, don't "expect" a discount off msrp, but go in, build a relationship with your dealer and work a deal you feel comfortable with. 2021 build spots are filling fast, lower inventory drives higher demand and prices as well. Of course some people will get a "bro" deal, others will pay more, just as with anything else.

So how much off is a “bro-deal”?

bmjenkins82
09-16-2020, 11:46 PM
Man.. just got my makai quote

~2% off, no first service, no mention of life jackets etc, $3200 in dealer prep and freight plus tax... tax is a little high, a tad over $112k otd and on the trailer for a 2021 makai with the 400 6.2.... :confused:

Guppydriver
09-17-2020, 12:35 AM

~2% off, no first service, no mention of life jackets etc, $3200 in dealer prep and freight plus tax... tax is a little high, a tad over $112k otd and on the trailer for a 2021 makai with the 400 6.2.... :confused:

Definitely not a bro deal....My 7% was included in the first build sheet they gave me without me even having to ask for anything. Dealer is making about 20k on a deal like that...not cool.

TXSurf4
09-17-2020, 02:31 PM

Definitely not a "deal" but might be the current market :confused: Did you just request a quote over the phone/via email or have you been in to the dealer and started a relationship with them? You likely won't find any of the extras on a quote.

bmjenkins82
09-17-2020, 02:41 PM
Definitely not a "deal" but might be the current market :confused: Did you just request a quote over the phone/via email or have you been in to the dealer and started a relationship with them? You likely won't find any of the extras on a quote.

I tried to stop in, but they said it would be better to arrange the quote over the phone. No inventory, limited supply, it really didnt' sound like there would be an opportunity to deal(which I understand due to economics), or build a relationship.

To be honest, I'm a little put out by the dealer. I really like the Moombas over what's available in this price range in the market, but I felt as if I was being a pest just trying to get a quote. Technically they've been very helpful, just sort of a soup nazi feel from Seinfield when it comes to being able to buy a boat..

bmjenkins82
09-17-2020, 03:00 PM
What is the typical deposit for a custom build?

larry_arizona
09-17-2020, 03:15 PM
What is the typical deposit for a custom build?

Both of my Supras were $2500 and honestly that is what I offered to put down, never really questioned what was required.

It may make a difference what color or options, if you picked something crazy versus a more mainstream color scheme, that could adjust the deposit.

As long as it’s a highly desirable color scheme that the dealer can sell if you back out, the deposit should be low.

RC_Hinojosa
09-17-2020, 03:52 PM
I tried to stop in, but they said it would be better to arrange the quote over the phone. No inventory, limited supply, it really didnt' sound like there would be an opportunity to deal(which I understand due to economics), or build a relationship.

To be honest, I'm a little put out by the dealer. I really like the Moombas over what's available in this price range in the market, but I felt as if I was being a pest just trying to get a quote. Technically they've been very helpful, just sort of a soup nazi feel from Seinfield when it comes to being able to buy a boat..That's kinda strange, usually phone/email quotes are ballpark but when you are inside the dealership they will take you more seriously as a buyer...

I'd go in anyways to demonstrate intent.

TXSurf4
09-17-2020, 04:14 PM

To be honest, I'm a little put out by the dealer. I really like the Moombas over what's available in this price range in the market, but I felt as if I was being a pest just trying to get a quote. Technically they've been very helpful, just sort of a soup nazi feel from Seinfield when it comes to being able to buy a boat..

That is a bummer.......I assume you are going through South Austin Marine? Like RC said I would stop by anyways to let them know you are a serious buyer and put a face to the name. I was probably at my dealer 10 times by the time we put our deposit down.

Both of my Supras were $2500 and honestly that is what I offered to put down, never really questioned what was required.

It may make a difference what color or options, if you picked something crazy versus a more mainstream color scheme, that could adjust the deposit.

As long as it’s a highly desirable color scheme that the dealer can sell if you back out, the deposit should be low.

Ours was $2,500 as well.

bmjenkins82
09-17-2020, 04:59 PM
Yeah... I wish I had time. Between kids, work, dealership isn’t that close and Immunity issues in my household it’s just not realistic.

Either way, taking the hit and getting a Makai on order for NOV spray, Jan/feb delivery.

TXSurf4
09-17-2020, 05:24 PM
Yeah... I wish I had time. Between kids, work, dealership isn’t that close and Immunity issues in my household it’s just not realistic.

Either way, taking the hit and getting a Makai on order for NOV spray, Jan/feb delivery.

Completely understand. You will love the boat!! With that spray date I would still ask about Boat Show incentives and if you can get in on them. They should at least honor that to sweeten the deal.

bmjenkins82
09-17-2020, 05:27 PM
I'll ask.. we'll see.

Colorways below.

2021 Configurator and pricing is online. They've made a few changes to standard features for the 2021 Makai