PDA

View Full Version : Question about trailers.

vetplus40
05-29-2019, 08:14 AM
Greetings. It has been a while since I visited and I am still on my journey to find the right boat for me. I do have my preferences narrowed down to Malibus and Moombas and I did have a question. I have noticed that more (21-22 foot) Moombas seem to be on single axle trailers as compared to Malibus? Generally speaking, are Moomba lighter in weight? The single axle trailer is certainly no deal breaker, I am just a bit curious. Thanks.

Kirby
05-29-2019, 08:23 AM
For the 18 and 19 boats, only the Helix and Mondo come standard with a single axle, as both boats are under 21'. Craz, Max, and upward all have dual axle. I don't know about earlier models if that's what you're looking for as I just started my Moomba journey last year.

jason1973
05-29-2019, 08:29 AM
The 20' moomba's state a lighter weight than most of the malibu's in that range. But easily ordered with a tandem. I ordered my mondo with a tandem and it wasn't that big of an upcharge. I think dealers order them that way so people have options. For someone who tows to the lake and puts the boat on a lift for the summer, a single is probably fine to hold 3800lbs. That being said, tandems look better and tow easier in my opinion. Single axle is easier to move around once the boat is off. The NXT20 mastercraft also comes with a single axle as stock. probably offered to keep pricing down.

sandm
05-29-2019, 11:05 AM
my old supra 20ssv came on a single. towed 300 miles home and it pulled just fine. 25 miles each way to the ramp up and down a 7% grade with no issues. lots say that duals tow better but singles tow just fine. trailers have been made with singles for years because they work.
if you are looking at 20 or some 21ft's singles are pretty common even on the 'bu vtx. beyond 21ft duals are pretty much standard.

if given a choice I'd opt for a dual moreso for the perceived better protection it COULD offer if you get a flat as there's still 1 tire in contact while you stop. singles are a breeze to move the boat around tho if you have tight quarters or challenging parking. gf and I could move the supra around easily once unhooked.

vetplus40
05-30-2019, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the info. I was set on a Wakesetter, but I am now giving the Moombas a hard look. A little newer boat for the same money.

Kirby
05-30-2019, 09:48 PM
Hey vet, I did the same. Thought I would look for used Wakesetters but after joining this forum and the FB group, and after checking out a few Moomba's, here I am.

Tylerrnemt
05-31-2019, 11:13 AM
My '12 LSV came with a dual axle Boatmate. I believe the LSV's came standard with single axle despite being 21.6". It was an option to upgrade to tandem axle when the boat was ordered. Fortunately the PO ordered mine with the upgrade to tandem and also the stainless fenders. Honestly it was something I had as a mandatory option when looking to purchase. It definitely makes it look better on the trailer. As mentioned above, I think if you're a lake house owner and only use it a couple times a year to put in/out then the single is totaly fine. If you trailer weekly as I do then the single would be a deal breaker for me.

https://i.vgy.me/dC3EQ9.jpg

https://i.vgy.me/4oQRi3.jpg

Tyler