PDA

View Full Version : Drain Plugs....Dealer removed and did not replace! Whose responsibility??

kpastrick
05-28-2019, 10:40 PM
Hi! We have a 2014 Moomba Mojo. The same dealer services it every year. We have had no problems. Our son used it for the first time over the weekend, after getting it summerized. Long story short, after about 30 minutes the speed dropped to only 7 mph. The boat was taking on water. By the time he got out, the water was about 10" deep in the engine compartment. Fortunately he was close enough to the boat ramp to get back to the ramp and get the boat out of the water before it was too late. The drain plug at the back of the boat, underneath the platform, was in place. However, the center drain plug (accessed from inside the boat by removing a floor panel) was not.

I was so mad I decided I wanted a face to face discussion with our dealership. Service Manager had to leave early so I talked to the sales manager. It didn't take long before he told me it was the owner's responsibility to check to make sure the plugs are in. For one, we were never even told that there was a second drain plug (the center drain plug) so how would we know to check it? Two, the dealer has been the only one removing and replacing our drain plugs for 5 years. We rarely have even touched the exterior drain plug in the back. Why after 5 years are they telling us now it's our responsibility to check, when they have been putting the plugs in and out without us even asking?? I know, liability.

Am I crazy? Doesn't it make sense that if the dealer services the boat, takes the drain plugs out, they should put them back in?

To top it off, the dealer's mechanics did not tighten down the knob/bolt on the tower (on one side) that they used to allow the tower to be pulled forward. Our son found that before we left the dealership. I brought that up, as well, and I was told that's our responsibility, too! Yes, we should check the tower connections, but again, if the mechanic is going to pull the tower forward, when he puts it back in place, he should tighten the bolts/knobs back down.

Would love some feedback. I am pretty mad at this guy. I am hoping my conversation with the sales guy goes better tomorrow. I did not even get an apology

Stazi
05-28-2019, 10:46 PM
I don’t give a shit who winterized a boat. You should ALWAYS check all the plugs are in place before you drop it in...And check there’s oil in the motor too. Those two items as well as running the blower before you start it are 100% necessary and practically overlooked by every boat owner.

Save yourself the headaches, and it’s only common sense.

I do t know if you have any recourse in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KnoxMojo
05-28-2019, 10:53 PM
Your boat came with an owners manual, if you guys didn't take the time to read through it to familiarize yourself with the boat, that isn't on the dealer. I am fairly certain the center T plug was probably either attached to the steering wheel or in the driver cup holder. It sucks that this happened, but you can only really be upset with yourself.

Surf Wagon
05-28-2019, 11:12 PM
At our dealership they have signs that the plugs have been removed and that it is your responsibility to make sure they're replaced. Their concern is if it rains then the boat could get flooded while in the shop.

That said they and I always remove the center plug. Only once have they removed the rear plug and left it in a swim platform cup holder. Long story short I also got back on the trailer in time lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
05-29-2019, 12:01 AM
I guess a lesson learned to also pay attention to the bilge pump (sound or water coming over the side) or the light on the bilge pump switch.

I own a Supra, but I assume that year has a bilge pump in the center section. I did that years ago but I noticed mine before I took it off the trailer. So no big deal. Dumb of me for rushing to get the boat started that spring.

larry_arizona
05-29-2019, 06:06 AM
Drain plugs are boat 101. Sorry but a missing drain plug is on you. Own it and move forward.

Matt0520
05-29-2019, 08:29 AM
Drain plugs are boat 101. Sorry but a missing drain plug is on you. Own it and move forward.

This

jason1973
05-29-2019, 08:32 AM
i would say its YOUR responsibility. Not the dealer.

Prospersigman
05-29-2019, 08:47 AM
Sorry to have to pile on, but 100% your fault. Not only did you not know that there are 2 drain plugs you did not teach your son that there is not 2 drain plugs and you did not teach your son that the 1st thing you check is that the drain plug is in. My 9 year old daughter and 11 year old son both ask me when you are putting in..."Dad did you put the drain plug in?"

wario
05-29-2019, 09:31 AM
I clicked expecting to read about block plugs. Drain plugs are 100% your responsibility and should be on your pre trip inspection every time out.

Fuel level
Engine oil
Trans oil/fluid
Plugs
Blower
Your friends snacks

Should be checked before every trip.

kpastrick
05-29-2019, 09:49 AM
Thank-you for the constructive feedback. We learned our lesson. Yes, we should have read the owners manual and we did read many parts of it. Enough said about that. I find it interesting for 5 years the dealer has always put the drain plugs back in. In fact, the back drain plug under the platform was in. Center plug was not. For the first time, EVER, they are telling us it's our job to check the drain plugs.

No need to tell me again it's our responsibility. I get it, I have let go and am moving forward. As a courtesy, I would expect the dealer to communicate. Even if its in the manual. Probably would save more than a few from this experience. Thank-you, again. Have a great boating summer.

z28ke
05-29-2019, 10:00 AM
It doesn’t change the fact that the boater is ultimately responsible to check first, but I’m very surprised the dealer did not zip tie it to the steering wheel. That is certainly the professional thing to do in my opinion.

jcredible
05-29-2019, 10:40 AM
If it makes you feel better\worse...my dealer reminded me 5x when I bought my boat about the center plug....and the drain plugs are zip-tied in a bag to my steering wheel at winterization.

Really glad you got it onto the trailer though!

sandm
05-29-2019, 10:56 AM
I won't beat the dead horse on who's ultimately responsible. my bigger takeaway was the op's perceived lack of caring about the issue from the dealership side. granted we're only hearing one side of the conversation with the sales manager and there's always 3 sides(his/theirs and somewhere the truth) but here was a missed opportunity as a retail manager to help make a customer happy which at some point could lead to a trade in of the mojo toward a max.
my gut would be this experience does sour the relationship a little. maybe not to the point that the op seeks another mechanic but when trade time comes they do have a longer uphill battle than if they would have helped the op.

as a sales manager, show some empathy, offer to pass the feedback on to the shop manager and perhaps a free towel or discount on something.

larry_arizona
05-29-2019, 12:28 PM
At least it was the center one, that one at least someone can stick their finger in the port to stop the leak.

MJHSupra
05-29-2019, 12:31 PM
Thank-you for the constructive feedback. We learned our lesson. Yes, we should have read the owners manual and we did read many parts of it. Enough said about that. I find it interesting for 5 years the dealer has always put the drain plugs back in. In fact, the back drain plug under the platform was in. Center plug was not. For the first time, EVER, they are telling us it's our job to check the drain plugs.

No need to tell me again it's our responsibility. I get it, I have let go and am moving forward. As a courtesy, I would expect the dealer to communicate. Even if its in the manual. Probably would save more than a few from this experience. Thank-you, again. Have a great boating summer.

Just curious, I see your location is Cleveland OH, where is the closest dealer up there?

kpastrick
05-29-2019, 04:12 PM
Sure makes sense to me!

kpastrick
05-29-2019, 04:13 PM
Buckeye Sports in Peninsula, Ohio. 30 minutes from Cleveland

kpastrick
05-29-2019, 04:14 PM
Now that is great customer care/service!

kpastrick
05-29-2019, 04:20 PM
Agree! I talked to the service manager, today. He was much better about taking care of me and explaining things. He basically said there is no easy answer but agreed there needs to be better communication. The sales manager handled the situation poorly, service manager was very good. I care more about him then the sales guy when it comes to our boat.

In our discussion he told me the majority of boats have center plugs. However, I grew up with Glastrons and raised our family with a Glastron. They do not have center plugs. If they had, I would have definitely know better.

Thanks

larry_arizona
05-29-2019, 04:42 PM
I bet you will read the owners manual cover to cover now...lol

larry_arizona
05-29-2019, 05:48 PM
I am impressed that the bilge pumps kept up.

Probably not a bad plan to have a spare plug in the boat.

Worse case, I would get the boat on plane and that would minimize water coming in as well as hustling to the dock.

haknslash
05-29-2019, 08:04 PM
My dealer has a massive sign as you're leaving their parking lot warning you that they have removed your drain plug and to reinstall before entering the water. Glad you got it back in the trailer. A good lesson learned and I doubt you'll ever make the mistake of not checking it before launching the boat. Boat on and don't fret over it we all make mistakes :)

larry_arizona
05-29-2019, 09:11 PM
40 hours in, I have removed my drain plug one time.

In the fall I powerwashed my seadek, pulled both plugs when it was dry, put them back in.

kpastrick
05-29-2019, 09:55 PM
You got that right, Larry! Have a great summer.

kpastrick
05-29-2019, 09:59 PM
Thank-you!

Stazi
05-30-2019, 08:46 AM
Craz only has one rear plug.

Matt0520
05-30-2019, 08:47 AM
Craz only has one rear plug.

No there’s a center T handle too.

Stazi
05-30-2019, 09:00 AM
Wow. I’ve never seen it. How do you get the that one?

korey
05-30-2019, 09:07 AM
No there’s a center T handle too.

+1, there is a T handle under the center hatch right next to the helm!

Mine has been in since the day i brought the boat home and after 120 hours has vibrated so tight that I can't removed it!

Stazi
05-30-2019, 09:21 AM
OK so I just went to the boat, and looked in that access hatch. I’ve looked in there 1 million times to check the level of the center tank and never saw the handle, because it was perfectly obscured by the ballast hose! I had to get a small adjustable wrench in there to loosen it first, because it was super tight. I removed it and was able to drain a bunch of water that was in there. Learned something new!

Matt0520
05-30-2019, 09:22 AM
That’s a good one to remove as it’s the lowest point in the boat! I usually leave the stern plug in.

TXSurf4
05-30-2019, 09:29 AM
To those of you that never pull your plugs how do you get all of the water out of your hull and keep it dry? I always pull the T-Handle Plug when I get the boat out of the water (have never pulled the rear plug). There is never much water in there but I don't want any water sitting in my hull for an extended period of time.

larry_arizona
05-30-2019, 09:46 AM
I don’t have any water in my hull.

sandm
05-30-2019, 10:37 AM
my last boat got water in the bilge due to some duma$$ leaving the shower on(ya, that was me) and it filled up the bilge. took me 2 outings to figure it out.
beyond that my last 2 boats have never had a drop of water in the bilge. current boat has 5 outings and bilge pumps have never been on. not even sure they work.
supra prior had water in the bilge when the packing went bad but otherwise stayed bone dry.

I'm with larry in that we don't ever have it there.

parrothd
05-30-2019, 10:49 AM
my last boat got water in the bilge due to some duma$$ leaving the shower on(ya, that was me) and it filled up the bilge. took me 2 outings to figure it out.
beyond that my last 2 boats have never had a drop of water in the bilge. current boat has 5 outings and bilge pumps have never been on. not even sure they work.
supra prior had water in the bilge when the packing went bad but otherwise stayed bone dry.

Mine is never dry.. Go figure.. Lol

Prospersigman
05-30-2019, 10:57 AM
I always pull the T-Handle Plug when I get the boat out of the water (have never pulled the rear plug).

This!!

Stazi, I am blown away that you did not know that there was a T-handle drain plug in the bottom on the hull.

TXSurf4
05-30-2019, 11:00 AM
I don’t have any water in my hull.

So I am curious and just ahead of time I am not being argumentative just really curious but where is any water that people track in your boat going or if someone spills a bottle of water? Do yall ever rinse your floor? I have not had enough water to kick the auto bilge on as that takes a decent bit to float but I think it is safe to say at times I have had maybe a 1/2 gallon of water at my T-Handle Plug...... am I in the minority on this?

Matt0520
05-30-2019, 11:08 AM
So I am curious and just ahead of time I am not being argumentative just really curious but where is any water that people track in your boat going or if someone spills a bottle of water? Do yall ever rinse your floor? I have not had enough water to kick the auto bilge on as that takes a decent bit to float but I think it is safe to say at times I have had maybe a 1/2 gallon of water at my T-Handle Plug...... am I in the minority on this?

Ditto for me, I’ve kicked it on manually and it’s run for 10-15s or so. Especially after surfing (rails are buried in back, roller washing up against boat, etc)

And when I pull it at the ramp more always drains out the T handle hole

Stazi
05-30-2019, 11:11 AM
Mine regularly dumps out water when I’m surfing, after I stop. I think it’s a leaking ballast hose somewhere. I tried seeing if it’s the dripless packaging, actually dripping, but it’s almost impossible to see without ballast, and definitely iimpossible to check with ballast filled

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
05-30-2019, 11:12 AM

To clarify, I only used my boat 34 hours 1st year and I powerwashed the floor before storage, only time I pulled the plugs.

After a day on the lake, bilge is dry, I guess swimmers tend to dry on the sun deck or towel off, water on floor dries in sun.

TXSurf4
05-30-2019, 12:24 PM
To clarify, I only used my boat 34 hours 1st year and I powerwashed the floor before storage, only time I pulled the plugs.

After a day on the lake, bilge is dry, I guess swimmers tend to dry on the sun deck or towel off, water on floor dries in sun.

Fair enough I can see that. Living down here on the Gulf Coast I guess I am just anal about making sure I don't get any mold or mildew in the bilge or compartments. I imagine it is not as bad in some of the drier climates. I always pull the T- Handle drain plug when I get out of the water and when I store it I always have the floor access panel cover off as well as I open the trash/battery compartment and pull the tray out and leave it open to let there be some air flow in the bilge.

sandm
05-30-2019, 12:32 PM
even in the humid weather of wisconsin my bilge was never wet. can't say i've ever had anyone spill water in the boat and most dry off on the back platform. we do get water in the carpet but I pull it out and dry at home. Iirc I went 3 years in wi and never removed the drain plug.

rdlangston13
05-30-2019, 03:02 PM
At least it was the center one, that one at least someone can stick their finger in the port to stop the leak.

The rear one will self drain if you get up to speed tho...

We are among those who ALWAYS have water in the bilge. People getting in and our soaking wet, some water comes out of the bags when I unplug / plug in the tsunami, we have been caught in rain, hell, we dump water on the floor with a big ass cup sometimes just to cool it off. I pull the center plug while at the ramp every outing and I always seem to drain at least a gallon. The auto bilge has only run a few times when the boat has been in the water multiple days. We do so much swimming and people constantly getting in and out soaking wet that water gets down there. I do wish the Moombas would add a 2nd bilge pump next to that T handle.

Kirby
05-30-2019, 06:56 PM
19 Max...only 10 hours, always a little water in the middle over the drain plug. Dealer said it was good for the boat, should have a little in there. And there always is. Pump turns on when it gets too high. We haven't even gotten out of the boat while on the water, just cruising. This sound correct?

larry_arizona
05-30-2019, 07:10 PM
Although I wouldn’t say it’s bad for a boat, calling it good is unusual......

sandm
05-30-2019, 08:31 PM
I would expect a new wakeboat not being used for any tow sports to be dry as my las vegas dirt yard.

hawgtitan
05-30-2019, 09:48 PM
I am absolutely perplexed at the people who say there boat is 100% dry at the center plug after a day at the lake. I hardly ever fail to pull center plug to drain water out. If your boat is 100% dry, then you aren't like me and have kids who jump out of boat and climb back in and jump again 700 times a day!! Even with my old stern drives, I never left the boat ramp without pulling plug. Bilge pump will pump most of it out, but most days my pump never comes on. I have to pull plug to drain it.

twkoehn
05-30-2019, 11:07 PM
We ALWAYS have water in the boat but I have NEVER gotten so much as a drop of water out of my rear drain plug, even when I pull it while on the ramp. I was told by my dealer that’s because of a design flaw where the drain plug is actually located above a “shelf” in the rear of the boat. I believe the dealer has to lift the nose of my boat during winterization to get all the water out. I wish my LSV had a center drain plug.

FamilyMan
05-30-2019, 11:46 PM
My auto bilge goes off probably twice an hour if not more when out and about. Even with just two folks on board. Always thought it was from water leaking in slowly by design (drive shaft etc.) or cutting power abruptly after a surfer is down and the swell hitting the back.

I’ll have to take a look just after putting around the marina before watersports or ballast is turned on and see if there is an unusual amount of water and trace the source if so.

Ignorance was bliss :)

Ironcross25
05-31-2019, 12:56 AM
Buckeye Sports in Peninsula, Ohio. 30 minutes from Cleveland

I take mine to boathouse marine in Ravenna by west branch. They are a master craft dealer. They put the plug On my steering wheel with a big sign. Also have one by the tongue. I Live by the Akron canton airport so either one is the same drive but never liked Buckeye. Had a few bad experiences.

wario
05-31-2019, 07:47 AM
Fair enough I can see that. Living down here on the Gulf Coast I guess I am just anal about making sure I don't get any mold or mildew in the bilge or compartments. I imagine it is not as bad in some of the drier climates. I always pull the T- Handle drain plug when I get out of the water and when I store it I always have the floor access panel cover off as well as I open the trash/battery compartment and pull the tray out and leave it open to let there be some air flow in the bilge.

A bit of environmentally friendly dish soap in the bilge will also help keep it fresh. The kids will also get a kick out of the bubbles produced when the pump kicks on.

korey
05-31-2019, 08:45 AM
My auto bilge goes off probably twice an hour if not more when out and about. Even with just two folks on board. Always thought it was from water leaking in slowly by design (drive shaft etc.) or cutting power abruptly after a surfer is down and the swell hitting the back.

I’ll have to take a look just after putting around the marina before watersports or ballast is turned on and see if there is an unusual amount of water and trace the source if so.

Ignorance was bliss :)

That definitely sounds like a problem.

My boat had a hole in a ballast line when new and it put quite a bit of water in the boat until i figured it out and had the dealer fix it. Also the first time i took it out and filled it up, I didn't realize that all of the bag vents were shipped open, so I got some water in the boat...

Since then, the bilge pump has run once when we got caught in the rain. We use a private ramp and rarely have anyone waiting on me so I pull the rear plug while still on the incline and whatever is in there comes out. It's usually just a couple of ounces.

FamilyMan
05-31-2019, 09:00 AM
Well likely something was leaky from the get go....but now that I’ve modified my ballast who knows if I’ve made it worse and the dealer surely would assume it was me (likely was anyway).

Tracking a leak down doesn’t seem easy out of water and less than ideal when in the water....looks like I’ll have to sacrifice a nice morning to do it (maybe put food coloring in a bag and check, as well as visualize my pump connections? All suggestions appreciates). I don’t seem to lose any ballast when I infrequently check the bags....but I’m guessing losing even a 5-10 gallons wouldn’t be noticeable especially if I had a leak on both sides.

korey
05-31-2019, 09:53 AM
Mine was a hose between the pumps and inlet/outlet in the hull on the starboard side. remove the carpeted panel behind your ballast bag and you can see the nightmare mess of hoses. Mine had a screw from the transom remote driven into the hose!

trayson
05-31-2019, 12:34 PM
I wish my LSV had a center drain plug.
+1, I wish my XLV had a center plug also.

That said, I never take out my rear plug. Even when winterizing, I don't bother. Oh, except for last winter I guess, because guess what happened when I put the boat in the water for the first time this year??? Yep. I was that guy. However, as soon as the bilge pump kicked on, I knew exactly what happened. I didn't get more than 100 feet from the dock, because I was paying attention. (always good that the bilge output is on the starboard side where the driver can see it).

BrentC5Z
05-31-2019, 12:54 PM
+1, I wish my XLV had a center plug also.

+2. There's almost no way to get the water out of the midship bilge. My trailer even has an oversize aftermarket drop leg jack.

There's a nice little hill next to my shed I can pull up, but it's a pain to deal with.

On original post: That wasn't the best way to handle it by the dealer. I'd have been pissed too. But, probably after I checked and saw they left it out.

crr1876
05-31-2019, 11:34 PM
Interesting to hear so many people never remove their drain plugs. Here in Texas we have a problem with zebra mussels in many lakes and are supposed to remove the drain plug at the boat ramp otherwise could get a ticket. Is that not the case most other places?

trayson
05-31-2019, 11:56 PM
Interesting to hear so many people never remove their drain plugs. Here in Texas we have a problem with zebra mussels in many lakes and are supposed to remove the drain plug at the boat ramp otherwise could get a ticket. Is that not the case most other places?

We don't have the muscles here in the PNW where I do my boating.

And like others have said, the drain plug doesn't do much to get all the water out. Not too mention I have aerator pumps and there's basically no way I'll ever get all the water out of my ballast bags... I'm not saying I'd break the rules, but they design of my boat and ballast system would makes it really really hard to follow them.

Isaguel
06-01-2019, 08:30 AM
19 Max...only 10 hours, always a little water in the middle over the drain plug. Dealer said it was good for the boat, should have a little in there. And there always is. Pump turns on when it gets too high. We haven't even gotten out of the boat while on the water, just cruising. This sound correct?

Haha, I had to laugh out loud at this one. This is the funniest dealership comment I've heard in a long time. They're either messing with you or just throwing some dumb comment out their A** because they don't want to deal with you. But something like this, you really cant even get mad at the guy, I would've just laughed right at him.

That being said, it's a V-drive, there is a hole going through the hull, there's seal rings and packing, but also, its water and it is a HOLE. There is no way we are not going to have water intrusion. I always have water, never enough to trigger the bilge pump though. If, you are getting a lot of water and your bilge goes off frequently, then the dealer may have to replace that packing ,which only lasts so long and has the be replaced periodically anyways.

Kirby
06-01-2019, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=Isaguel;341544]Haha, I had to laugh out loud at this one. This is the funniest dealership comment I've heard in a long time. They're either messing with you or just throwing some dumb comment out their A** because they don't want to deal with you. But something like this, you really cant even get mad at the guy, I would've just laughed right at him.

He might have said "normal", wife raised her eyebrow at me when I showed her this, she's the one who remembered most everything on our first time out, but neither of us remember that part of the initial trip and what he said about the bilge and center drain. Good might have been the wrong word...but we've been out twice just cruising, no water sports or swimming. REALLY choppy water on both lakes and the auto pump turned on two times on each trip, about 4 hours each trip.

z28ke
06-01-2019, 12:24 PM
My bilge has been kicking on when surfing every time we stop to turn back for the rider. Need to figure out if it’s a leak in the ballast I plumbed or if it’s taking water in the stern fresh air opening when we stop.

Isaguel
06-01-2019, 01:03 PM
Lots of very valid comments about ensuring plugs are in, but just wanted to share my one experience. One spring after taking the boat out, I noticed water rushing onto my feet. I opened the center plug access and noticed 6-10 inches of water. I freaked out. Checked the center plug and then jumped into water to check rear plug, both were in. Next, started throwing up seat cushions and checking the connections to the ballast bags. I found the port side quick connector to the IBS bag had become disconnected and was pouring water. The dealer must of disconnected it for winterization (don't know why) and when reconnected did not ensure the red ring clamp slipped fully over the lip of the bag plug. It prolly became undone with boat vibration as it was choppy. Only thing I do not quite understand is why it was pouring water, as I was not filling the ballast!. Since then, every time I go out I check all the quick connects to make sure they are all tight.

flynnva
06-03-2019, 05:20 PM
I'm one of the one's that always pulls the center plug and get a gallon or so of water out, never anything out the rear plug, don't know why it's there, lol. For those that have the bilge pump coming on and don't know why. Check the hose connection on the sea strainer, mine loosened up last year and I found it after the second time the bilge pump cut on.

Maxman
06-03-2019, 11:14 PM
I have a 19 Max and that sounds like my boat. Always a couple of inches at end of the weekend. Bilge kicks in every once in awhile if surfing. I asked service guy at dealership today of it is normal to have the water down there and he said yes.