PDA

View Full Version : Calibrate your speedometer

justflyinglow
05-25-2019, 06:32 PM
I am sure this has been discussed but any boat with a paddle speedometer should use a GPS app on their phone to calibrate their speed. I checked mine and it was reading 1.7 mph slow. So when I thought I was surfing at 10.5, it was closer to 12.2. Calibrating the speedometer made a big difference in the wave.

MELVIN
07-17-2022, 10:42 AM
How did you adjust the analog speedometer? Mine is off by about 10 mph.

Holdmybeer
07-17-2022, 11:15 AM
Don't think he touched the analog speedo. He was messing with the digital on the 4" screen. In vessel settings you can adjust so the cruise works correctly.

KnoxMojo
07-17-2022, 01:00 PM
How did you adjust the analog speedometer? Mine is off by about 10 mph.

Look in the owners manual. IIRC there is a turn knob under the dash for the analog speedo. Your manual is also online in the Moomba site archives.

jnr4817
07-19-2022, 09:18 AM
I calibrate mine ever so often. I calibrate at surf speeds though, as that is when I want the speedo to be most accurate. I have the paddle wheel, not gps. When crushing my speedo doesn’t match my phone fps, however when surfing it’s spot on. I surf is deep lake water. No current.

haknslash
07-19-2022, 06:47 PM
I calibrate mine ever so often. I calibrate at surf speeds though, as that is when I want the speedo to be most accurate. I have the paddle wheel, not gps. When crushing my speedo doesn’t match my phone fps, however when surfing it’s spot on. I surf is deep lake water. No current.

I’m also on paddle wheel and you may need to adjust your triducer arrow. When my triducer went out and replaced under warranty, I had the dealer tech ride with me and we used a gps app to dial in the arrow on the triducer. Originally when they thought they had it lined up it was several mph off at cruising speeds.

MELVIN
07-19-2022, 11:15 PM
Thanks. Will give that a try.

jnr4817
07-20-2022, 04:40 PM
I’m also on paddle wheel and you may need to adjust your triducer arrow. When my triducer went out and replaced under warranty, I had the dealer tech ride with me and we used a gps app to dial in the arrow on the triducer. Originally when they thought they had it lined up it was several mph off at cruising speeds.

What do you mean by arrow?

Bch53211
07-20-2022, 09:39 PM
This is interesting I will be out on my boat tomorrow I’m going to check the speedo and paddle wheel accuracy

haknslash
07-20-2022, 10:08 PM
What do you mean by arrow?

There is an arrow or line on the top of the housing you use to align parallel to the centerline of the boat and point it towards the bow. This is the alignment of the paddle wheel relative to the direction of the boat. If it’s not aligned it won’t read the correct speed.

jnr4817
07-22-2022, 06:54 PM
Mine is aligned. Great call though. I learned something. Thank you.