PDA

View Full Version : Recent Recall (Alternator)

TXSurf4
05-16-2019, 02:30 PM
Does anyone have any info on the recall I just got from my dealer pertaining to my alternator? All they said was I am not to use the boat and that I have to being it in for them to replace the alternator........

Stazi
05-16-2019, 02:31 PM
First I have heard of this. What boat do you have (year and model)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXSurf4
05-16-2019, 02:34 PM
2019 Makai

Stazi
05-16-2019, 02:37 PM
Wow. Wonder if this will only be for current year boats or if all Raptors will be affected?

TXSurf4
05-16-2019, 02:49 PM
Ya I am not sure. I have the 450 so not sure if it is specific to the motor but I would doubt that they have different alternators..... It must be something serious bc they told me to not use my boat, make sure the battery switch is off and/or unhook my battery cables. I have an appointment to get it replaced on the 24th but that puts me down for Memorial Day weekend so I am trying to see if I can get it in sooner.

larry_arizona
05-16-2019, 02:55 PM
Nothing here on an 18, but it sounds like a fire hazard if they are telling you to disconnect all battery connections.

Stazi
05-16-2019, 02:56 PM
Yep. Internal wiring issues in alternator that might start a fire.

TXSurf4
05-16-2019, 03:51 PM
Ya that is what I was thinking but wanted to see what/if others had heard anything.

The_Robo_Fighter
05-16-2019, 04:49 PM
My Makai is in for the break in service. Saw this thread and called the service department. They said it is only certain serial numbers are being recalled. I have the 450 engine as well. He said he would check if I was on the list..... fingers crossed.

The_Robo_Fighter
05-16-2019, 05:09 PM
My Makai is in for the break in service. Saw this thread and called the service department. They said it is only certain serial numbers are being recalled. I have the 450 engine as well. He said he would check if I was on the list..... fingers crossed.

*Update*

Mine is on the list. Dang! He said parts are back ordered, could be SEVERAL weeks before they have the replacement. I’m pretty steamed right now.....

larry_arizona
05-16-2019, 05:48 PM
That tells me that there has been at least one thermal incident that has caused significant damage.

TXSurf4
05-16-2019, 06:02 PM
*Update*

Mine is on the list. Dang! He said parts are back ordered, could be SEVERAL weeks before they have the replacement. I’m pretty steamed right now.....

Man that sucks. So are you going to stay sidelined?

The_Robo_Fighter
05-16-2019, 06:15 PM
Man that sucks. So are you going to stay sidelined?

I don’t know yet. Seems like alternators are available through several online retailers. I’m going to see if I can get the dealership to buy one and then they can get reimbursed from Indmar or moomba. I’m concerned my insurance wouldn’t cover a “thermal event”. Otherwise I would keep using it. It’s been fine the last 30 hours...... just saying....

larry_arizona
05-16-2019, 07:01 PM
Tough call. Precious summer awaits

The_Robo_Fighter
05-16-2019, 07:14 PM
Tough call. Precious summer awaits

That why I’m so upset. I travel for work and miss plenty of time with my kids. The boat is the big family event of the summer. I’m stunned that the dealership had no plan other than to wait for indmar to ship a alternator. If I could find them online, why can’t they. Again super disappointed....

Once they cashed my check I guess all costumer service bets are off! Anybody from Moomba monitor this forum? If so can you provide clarification on how long we are dead in the water?

TXSurf4
05-16-2019, 08:43 PM
Ya I have an appointment for the 24th and they said it will be ready on the 31st so I guess they were able to get the alternator. I am just contemplating keeping for the weekend and using it and taking it in on the 28th. I was only planning to go out Sunday but it is the first time I am taking the wife and daughter as well as my in-laws and everyone else. It is going to be a tough call. As you stated I have 16 hours on it so far [emoji2369]

The_Robo_Fighter
05-16-2019, 09:26 PM
That’s good news for you. All I have is bad news. I just texted my dealer and they don’t have a date for fixing my boat. Rumor is factory is out. And there isn’t any date for re-supply. I’m not very optimistic at this point. I wish the dealership had a ballpark date. Anybody know/ have a contact at skiers choice? Would love to get a realistic answer about this.

rdlangston13
05-17-2019, 06:44 AM
To be honest I have not been too impressed with Indmar. It’s nothing about the power of the motor or anything, I had a bad experience last summer and this just adds to my growing complaints about Indmar.

TXSurf4
05-17-2019, 08:39 AM
To be honest I have not been too impressed with Indmar. It’s nothing about the power of the motor or anything, I had a bad experience last summer and this just adds to my growing complaints about Indmar.

A bad experience on the customer service side?

Prospersigman
05-17-2019, 09:07 AM
I have a good buddy who just bought a 2019 SL450 from the boat show, he has 14 hours on it and his boat broke down last week. Its in the shop the and it is in need of a new alternator. Indmar has recalled all 240 amp alternators on the 2019 boats with the larger alternator.

TXSurf4
05-17-2019, 09:46 AM
I have a good buddy who just bought a 2019 SL450 from the boat show, he has 14 hours on it and his boat broke down last week. Its in the shop the and it is in need of a new alternator. Indmar has recalled all 240 amp alternators on the 2019 boats with the larger alternator.

Man that is a bummer. What was wrong with his boat to have it in the shop in the first place?

Prospersigman
05-17-2019, 10:38 AM
Man that is a bummer. What was wrong with his boat to have it in the shop in the first place?

It was the alternator.

haknslash
05-17-2019, 10:41 AM
Is there a specific option you select on the build where they install the larger alternator? I ordered mine with the upgraded sound system and 2 batteries. I only have 2 hours on the bot from the maiden voyage and was going to take it out tomorrow to get a good chunk of the remaining break-in hours done then take it into the shop and the first maintenance. My dealer hasn’t called me about this yet so do I just call them with my VIN and they will know if my 2019 Max is affected? I really wanted to take her out tomorrow but now I’m kind of worried!! :(

TXSurf4
05-17-2019, 10:41 AM
It was the alternator.

Did he have a problem with it or is it for the recall?

TXSurf4
05-17-2019, 10:44 AM
Is there a specific option you select on the build where they install the larger alternator? I ordered mine with the upgraded sound system and 2 batteries. I only have 2 hours on the bot from the maiden voyage and was going to take it out tomorrow to get a good chunk of the remaining break-in hours done then take it into the shop and the first maintenance. My dealer hasn’t called me about this yet so do I just call them with my VIN and they will know if my 2019 Max is affected? I really wanted to take her out tomorrow but now I’m kind of worried!! :(

I am not 100% on this but it is sounding like it is just the 450 that is affected. Like I said don't quote me on that. Probably best to just call your dealer and ask them. I know someone else that got a Craz with a 400 at the same time I got my boat and he called his dealer and they said his is not affected by the recall.

haknslash
05-17-2019, 10:46 AM
Yup I just got off the phone with the service department of my dealer and he said it’s only the 450 motors that are affected. He said I would have received a call yesterday if my boat was affected as they reached out to all 2019 owners with the 450 engine. He also said they aren’t even allowed to sell a boat with a 450 until the alternator has been replaced. He said they have placed an order for alternators and they are in the process of getting them in to swap out. I’m sure all the other dealers are scrambling too. Glad I’m not affected but feel for you guys that are. He said Indmar is saying nobody with a 2019 450 engine should use their boat until it’s swapped. Apparently there may have been some fires.

Prospersigman
05-17-2019, 11:10 AM
Did he have a problem with it or is it for the recall?

He had a problem with the alternator...no fire or anything like that. It started up just fine, backed it off the trailer, the screens went haywire, it died, no power/wouldn't start, finally got it started off of bank 1 or bank 2.

larry_arizona
05-17-2019, 11:19 AM
Interesting, so all OEM’s using the 450 with that 240 alternator probably have a similar issue.

The_Robo_Fighter
05-17-2019, 11:57 AM
Another disappointing update. Went by the dealership, parts manager relayed from Jim Alexander at indmar “the large alternator is out of stock.” So I’m back it being weeks before I can use my boat. Super disappointed...

zabooda
05-17-2019, 12:18 PM
Not so sure why a heavy duty alternator is even needed with two banks of batteries that always has a charged set. Besides, the large storage batteries like golf cart batteries do better on a slower charge much like you get from shore power. IMO, pop in the standard alternator and have them refund the difference.

TXSurf4
05-17-2019, 12:19 PM
He had a problem with the alternator...no fire or anything like that. It started up just fine, backed it off the trailer, the screens went haywire, it died, no power/wouldn't start, finally got it started off of bank 1 or bank 2.

That might be enough for me to just call Memorial Day a wash and go out the next weekend. I don’t feel like getting stranded or having anything else happen. Thanks for the info [emoji106]

The_Robo_Fighter
05-17-2019, 03:20 PM
Update 3.

Just got a email from Larry Engelbert at Indmar. He confirmed that Jim Alexander was the most up to date individual at Indmar in regards to the shipments of alternators. Jim told my service department that they are out of stock and don’t know when they’ll ship! So I’m now canceling plans with family and out of town guests... I hate to say it but I’m seriously doubting my loyalty to Moomba. Very disappointed with my dealership as well. I drive by a Axis/Malibu dealer to get to this dealership, maybe that was a sign!

larry_arizona
05-17-2019, 03:28 PM
Trade your moomba on a bu and be on the water this weekend........

But seriously, shit happens, it will be resolved.

TXSurf4
05-17-2019, 03:54 PM
Update 3.

Just got a email from Larry Engelbert at Indmar. He confirmed that Jim Alexander was the most up to date individual at Indmar in regards to the shipments of alternators. Jim told my service department that they are out of stock and don’t know when they’ll ship! So I’m now canceling plans with family and out of town guests... I hate to say it but I’m seriously doubting my loyalty to Moomba. Very disappointed with my dealership as well. I drive by a Axis/Malibu dealer to get to this dealership, maybe that was a sign!

Ya I am definitely bummed about being down for the Holiday weekend but it is better than having any kind of issue on the water with family and friends aboard. I think SC did what they had to do as soon as they could and I can't be mad at that. No regrets here, it is an amazing boat!!

TXSurf4
05-17-2019, 04:00 PM
With all the talk of alternators being out of stock I figured I should call me dealer about my appointment on the 24th to replace mine and make sure they will have one for me. Turns out that as soon as they got the heads up about the recall they ordered 1 for every boat they had in stock and every boat they sold that is affected. So I am good to go and am really happy that they did that. Big Shout Out to Rinkers for being proactive!!

larry_arizona
05-17-2019, 04:12 PM
What other brands use the Indmar 450?

TXSurf4
05-17-2019, 04:18 PM
What other brands use the Indmar 450?

I don't believe any as I believe the 450 is a motor made for SC only. It is more a question of which Indmar engines use that specific alternator. The 450 is essentially a choked down 460 as it is the same in every aspect except the 450 uses a smaller diameter exhaust system.

larry_arizona
05-17-2019, 04:28 PM
Ok, I didn’t know it was exhaust restricted.

Tige uses the 460.

Still curious why such a huge alternator on that engine only??

TXSurf4
05-17-2019, 04:31 PM
Ya I am not sure why either.

RC_Hinojosa
05-17-2019, 04:53 PM
Drew Tinker just shared this:

Indmar has begun a Safety Recall campaign to replace defective 230A alternators on all 2019 model year 450 Indmar engines in Moomba and all 2019 model year 400, 450 and 575 Indmar engines in Supra.

For more information see the attached link.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/178634249208729/permalink/660264601045689/

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk

The_Robo_Fighter
05-17-2019, 04:56 PM
With all the talk of alternators being out of stock I figured I should call me dealer about my appointment on the 24th to replace mine and make sure they will have one for me. Turns out that as soon as they got the heads up about the recall they ordered 1 for every boat they had in stock and every boat they sold that is affected. So I am good to go and am really happy that they did that. Big Shout Out to Rinkers for being proactive!!

I’m glad to hear your service department was so proactive. I’m in fact very jealous that they moved so fast. Mine on the other hand has been beat to the punch and I’m the one who gets to have a boat free start to my summer!

TXSurf4
05-17-2019, 05:04 PM
Drew Tinker just shared this:

Indmar has begun a Safety Recall campaign to replace defective 230A alternators on all 2019 model year 450 Indmar engines in Moomba and all 2019 model year 400, 450 and 575 Indmar engines in Supra.

For more information see the attached link.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/178634249208729/permalink/660264601045689/

I am not on Facebook. Is there any other relevant info in the post? Interesting that all the 400s in the Supras have the 230 amp as well. I wonder why the Moomba 400s don't?

TXSurf4
05-17-2019, 05:06 PM
I’m glad to hear your service department was so proactive. I’m in fact very jealous that they moved so fast. Mine on the other hand has been beat to the punch and I’m the one who gets to have a boat free start to my summer!

Ya man I understand your frustration with not having a known date that you can get it fixed.

RC_Hinojosa
05-17-2019, 05:06 PM
I am not on Facebook. Is there any other relevant info in the post?Yes, Drew also provided this link:

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?20477-Safety-Recall-for-230A-Alternators-2019

larry_arizona
05-17-2019, 05:14 PM
Just going to guess SC was far more proactive for all their dealers.

How SC shows priority to their star dealerships is a more likely scenario. What are we talking, 750 total boats and maybe only 60% are delivered...500 ish alternators won’t take that long to build and deliver.

Then it’s on your dealer to prioritize your repair, the good news is the alternator is easily accessible.

larry_arizona
05-17-2019, 05:15 PM
I am not on Facebook. Is there any other relevant info in the post? Interesting that all the 400s in the Supras have the 230 amp as well. I wonder why the Moomba 400s don't?

Supras have far more electronics.

Ryann
05-17-2019, 05:17 PM
Link says it’s broken. Does it work for anyone else?

RC_Hinojosa
05-17-2019, 05:21 PM
Link says it’s broken. Does it work for anyone else?Indmar discovered a potential issue which could cause the 230-amp alternator voltage regulator to fail. The voltage regulator failure may result in an electrical short circuit and may cause a thermal event. Indmar has begun a Safety Recall campaign to replace defective alternators on all 2019 model year 450 Indmar engines in Moomba and all 2019 model year 400, 450 and 575 Indmar engines in Supra. Notifications to dealers and registered owners have been sent by Indmar with instructions on what to do if their boat is equipped with the identified alternator. Indmar has sufficient stock of the new alternator to start and support this campaign.

What is the issue? The current voltage regulator installed on the 230 amp alternator part number 575018 may fail under certain conditions causing an electrical short circuit which could result in a thermal event. This failure may occur anytime the battery switch is in the ON position; the engine does not need to be running.

What is the risk? Should the voltage regulator failure result in a short circuit a thermal event may occur. Also the alternator could stop charging and the engine may shut down unexpectedly from discharged batteries. Batteries could also become over-charged resulting in damage. Do not start or operate the vessel until this recall is completed. Failure to complete these repairs may result in serious bodily injury, property damage, or death.

What will Indmar and your dealer do? Your dealer has been notified and will order the necessary parts to effect this repair. Indmar will supply a replacement alternator part number 575230 with an upgraded voltage regulator to eliminate the potential fault in the current voltage regulator.

How long will it take? The time required to complete the alternator replacement is typically less than one day. Due to dealer service scheduling requirements your dealer may need your vessel for a longer period of time.

What should you do? Immediately verify the battery switch is in the “off” position or disconnect the negative battery cables from the batteries until the repair is made. Please contact your dealer and request an appointment for replacement of your current alternator. Under no circumstances should your vessel be started or operated until the replacement is completed. If you need assistance locating an Indmar Certified Dealer you can use our Dealer Locator feature at www.Indmar.com or call us at 901-353-9930.

What if you no longer own this vessel? Please contact our Customer Service Department with the current owners contact information and we will send a certified letter to the current owner. If you have traded this vessel in please provide contact information of the purchasing party or dealer so we may contact them directly.

MLA
05-17-2019, 07:27 PM

The issue seems to surround the optional hi-output alt. Supra likely does the hi-amp alt by default, if other options, like the dual ballast pump system is chosen. Moomba on the other hand, may not. Some engine can be fitted with either the standard or optional hi-output alt

rdlangston13
05-18-2019, 12:08 PM
I don't believe any as I believe the 450 is a motor made for SC only. It is more a question of which Indmar engines use that specific alternator. The 450 is essentially a choked down 460 as it is the same in every aspect except the 450 uses a smaller diameter exhaust system.

I always thought the 2019 450 was the 460 and they just called it 450 much like the previous 450 was actually the 440 that they just called 450 and the 550 is actually the 575

larry_arizona
05-18-2019, 12:57 PM
400 is 350hp and 404ft lbs
440 is 398hp and 427ft lbs
460 is 410hp and 452ft lbs
575 is 510hp and 580ft lbs

My only point is SC uses the 400/450/550 as a model code more so than an accurate hp or torque callout.

Close enough for horseshoes, hand grenades and SC.

TXSurf4
05-18-2019, 01:14 PM
When I was doing my research before I purchased I got that info from an Indmar employee as I was asking about fuel and oil type. He said the 450 won’t be on their site bc it is only made for SC but that it is a 460 with a smaller diameter exhaust. The 450 has 398 or 400Hp I always forget but 450Ft-Lbs of torque. It takes premium fuel and full synthetic oil like the 460 which was what I was inquiring about at the time. The big kicker for me was that the 450 comes with a 1.76 transmission vs the 1.5 that comes with the 400.

trace
05-21-2019, 12:11 AM
I feel your pain. I just took delivery of a brand new 2019 SE 450, day after I get it home the recall hits. Didn't even get to splash it first. Dealer said SC is pressuring them to replace alternators in the order they have sold boats. My dealer has sold ~50+ before mine.

There is a post on Tigeowners, brand new RZX3 had a fire in the engine compartment, Indmar 450 with the 230A alternator. The biggest problem is there are potentially multiple failure modes, some subset of which could result in a fire, no bueno....

TXSurf4
05-21-2019, 10:20 AM
I feel your pain. I just took delivery of a brand new 2019 SE 450, day after I get it home the recall hits. Didn't even get to splash it first. Dealer said SC is pressuring them to replace alternators in the order they have sold boats. My dealer has sold ~50+ before mine.

There is a post on Tigeowners, brand new RZX3 had a fire in the engine compartment, Indmar 450 with the 230A alternator. The biggest problem is there are potentially multiple failure modes, some subset of which could result in a fire, no bueno....

Man that is a huge bummer!! Sorry to hear that. Got any pics of your new ride?

MJHSupra
05-21-2019, 12:41 PM

I wondered if a fire happened or could of happened - "thermal event". Sounds like you noticed a post on that site about a fire did happen. I figured the issue would be with an overcharged battery and that exploding.

Figured if it was a SC boat, it might be mentioned here or on Fbook. Small world.

TXSurf4
05-22-2019, 10:35 AM
Quick update. My dealer had me drop the boat off yesterday and they just called and said it is all done!! So I will definitely be hitting the water this weekend for Memorial Day!! Huge shout out to Rinker’s Boat World for being proactive in this situation and getting mine turned around [emoji106][emoji119][emoji4]

rdlangston13
05-22-2019, 10:48 AM
That’s awesome! Way to go Mike and Crew! I’m dropping mine off Tuesday after Memorial Day for some warranty stuff.

zabooda
05-22-2019, 10:52 AM
A fuseable link would protect the circuit...once. I don't think SC would like their new boats being towed back.

TXSurf4
05-22-2019, 12:04 PM
That’s awesome! Way to go Mike and Crew! I’m dropping mine off Tuesday after Memorial Day for some warranty stuff.

Ya, Mike and his crew came through huge!! Y’all hitting the water this weekend?

rdlangston13
05-22-2019, 01:37 PM
Yes sir. We get back from Florida on Saturday and heading straight to the storage unit to grab the boat and then to the lake. Going out on Livingston though, Conroe is probably going to be a little crazy.

korey
05-22-2019, 01:48 PM
"thermal event"

"Thermal Event" is lawyer speak for Fire. I design and build custom machinery for a living - much of which has forced air burners - and our lawyers made us update much of our literature to "Thermal Event".

MLA
05-22-2019, 08:00 PM
A fuseable link would protect the circuit...once. I don't think SC would like their new boats being towed back.

Yes, however, with a 250A fuse, a fire can erupt within a component long before amp draw exceeds that fuse.

TXSurf4
05-31-2019, 11:54 PM
Anyone get the call today about the fuel pump grommet/seal issue? [emoji2357]

csm
06-01-2019, 12:47 AM
Yessir....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

TXSurf4
06-01-2019, 08:46 PM
Yep so mine is back at the dealer [emoji2369] turns out it is a wide range (Sept of 18 to May of 19) of manufactured dates on the fuel pumps that have the grommet/seal in question. They have specific dates in those months but I don’t remember what they were so don’t want to misquote. I guess they have had some that leaked fuel from the grommet/seal where the pump goes in the tank. I am not sure they have different fuel pumps in the 450 vs the 400 motor but if they share the same pump my guess is this will affect a lot of 2019 boats.

rdlangston13
06-01-2019, 08:49 PM
Well your boat can say hello to my boat. It’s in the shop too getting some warranty work while I’m offshore.

TXSurf4
06-01-2019, 10:11 PM
Well your boat can say hello to my boat. It’s in the shop too getting some warranty work while I’m offshore.

Nice!! Ya Jim actually brought you up when I was telling him about how I am looking at getting a new cover from Cory at Evolution. He said you love yours and I told him that you were the one who had told me about them.

How long is your hitch?

rdlangston13
06-02-2019, 09:16 AM
Nice!! Ya Jim actually brought you up when I was telling him about how I am looking at getting a new cover from Cory at Evolution. He said you love yours and I told him that you were the one who had told me about them.

How long is your hitch?

28 freakin days...but when i get home i get 5 weeks off so that is something to look forward too. Have you contacted Cory at evolution yet? I wonder if he has the measurements for a Makai yet since the model is so new still.

TXSurf4
06-02-2019, 04:47 PM
28 freakin days...but when i get home i get 5 weeks off so that is something to look forward too. Have you contacted Cory at evolution yet? I wonder if he has the measurements for a Makai yet since the model is so new still.
Ya that is rough. GOM?

Ya he has them now. he didn’t when I initially started looking at one. His production schedule is slammed which is a great thing for him [emoji106] I originally wanted to not buy the cover with the boat but with him being as busy as he is I still got it because I didn’t want the boat to sit for months uncovered. I will probably try to sell the factory one when I get the evolution one and save someone some coin on their build.

rdlangston13
06-02-2019, 06:06 PM
I’m working offshore Guyana in South America. And yeah he was slammed when we ordered ours too and we spent our first summer without a cover, didn’t want to but oh well. Something you may want to look into, I added access points for the cleats in our cover so we can use while docked. They don’t come with anything like that from Cory.

TXSurf4
06-02-2019, 08:48 PM
I’m working offshore Guyana in South America. And yeah he was slammed when we ordered ours too and we spent our first summer without a cover, didn’t want to but oh well. Something you may want to look into, I added access points for the cleats in our cover so we can use while docked. They don’t come with anything like that from Cory.

How did you have the access points done?

rdlangston13
06-03-2019, 07:34 AM
How did you have the access points done?

Had a local upholstery shop cut slits over the cleats and install a heavy duty zipper like what Cory uses. Then above the slit on the inside he sowed a flap of the thick gray padding, when the access is close the padding is down protecting the boat from the zipper and when we use the access point for the cleats we just fold the padding out of the way.