PDA

View Full Version : Best Value for Used Moomba in the $55k-$65k Price Range?

Lightfoot
05-14-2019, 10:58 PM
First I want to thank this forum for all of the valuable information that i have been able to collect while lurking around before I registered. This will be my family's first wake boat purchase and I'm trying to get an idea of what kind of Moomba I can get in the 55k-65k range. After researching I feel a used craz would work perfectly for my family but I'm currently having a hard time trying to determine a used craz price due to the low availability of used ones and seeing as I picked a horrible month to try and buy a boat. If I'm patient will I be able to find a good value for a craz boat in this price range and if not would you recommend I look at a helix instead? Also in your experience is there a little wiggle room to negotiate price for a used moomba or do sellers stick close to their asking price.

I think I should also mention that I live near the border of WV, PA, and MD but don't mind traveling a long distance to pick up the right boat for my family.

Shoebox
05-14-2019, 11:18 PM
I'd get a Craz over a Helix. I just saw a 17 Craz listed somewhere, maybe the FB page, for $63k.

sandm
05-15-2019, 10:03 AM
second shoebox. craz over helix any day. you will wish for the extra length if you opt for the shorter boat within a couple of years.

last boat I bought came out of oklahoma and i'm in sin city. was $1300 to ship it. last boat I sold was in utah and went to kentucky. don't know what he paid to ship it. expand your search, pay for an inspection and ship away.

there's 17 craz for sale on onlyinboards right now so something should fit the bill. you are correct in that you will pay a little premium as it's in season but might find that seller that needs to dump for their new max :)
https://www.onlyinboards.com/Used-ski-boats.aspx?MakerName=5&YearFrom=&YearTo=&PriceFrom=&PriceTo=&Model=279&ZIP=&Distance=

jobu
05-15-2019, 12:10 PM
I love my Helix, but here the thing my Family doesn't ski, slalom or tube. We used to wakeboard, but surfing is so much fun that its become about 90% of what we do. For Surfing, the Helix is a flat out beast for a 20ft boat. The wakeboard wake is also amazing. My 2 cents is that it all comes down to what you want to do more so than fitting a boat you don't want to a price. Features that I think are a must have for a helix are: depth finder, 1150's in the rear, tower speakers, Bimini, and a sub. that's it. Your asking about wiggle room and I get that, the best deal I found was buying mine new during boat show season and getting as much throw in as I could get.

Matt0520
05-16-2019, 02:55 PM
Something like this would be good and you might be able to get it down to $65-66k:

https://www.onlyinboards.com/-Has-To-Go-2017-Moomba-Craz-for-sale-Charlotte-North-Carolina-92303.aspx

I’d steer away from 2016s (smaller surf tabs and old tower design). 2017-18 is what you’re after probably.

2019s got a pretty big refresh (vinyl, full WetSounds speakers, dash) but you’re mid $70s at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schwan
05-16-2019, 05:12 PM
I'm pretty sure all 2016s had the full size tabs, but maybe I'm wrong, mine does anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Matt0520
05-16-2019, 05:27 PM
I'm pretty sure all 2016s had the full size tabs, but maybe I'm wrong, mine does anyway.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sorry I thought they came later with Autowake!

KnoxMojo
05-16-2019, 06:45 PM
2016s should also all have the Roswell Tower, the OZ tower phased out with the 2015

Matt0520
05-16-2019, 07:41 PM
2016s should also all have the Roswell Tower, the OZ tower phased out with the 2015

Could’ve sworn I looked at 2016 Craz’s that had a different tower

KnoxMojo
05-16-2019, 07:58 PM
Could’ve sworn I looked at 2016 Craz’s that had a different tower

Yes, OZ was gone. S Bend and the Roswell Aviator. 2 towers that look fairly similar, not like the swoop forward design.

BrentC5Z
05-16-2019, 08:55 PM
I will add one thing to a question you had.
Most sellers of '16-'18 can't wiggle because they are needing payoff. There are a few that upgrade every 2 -3 years and would take a better offer than the dealer will trade for.

jph3
05-16-2019, 09:34 PM
I love my Helix, but here the thing my Family doesn't ski, slalom or tube. We used to wakeboard, but surfing is so much fun that its become about 90% of what we do. For Surfing, the Helix is a flat out beast for a 20ft boat. The wakeboard wake is also amazing. My 2 cents is that it all comes down to what you want to do more so than fitting a boat you don't want to a price. Features that I think are a must have for a helix are: depth finder, 1150's in the rear, tower speakers, Bimini, and a sub. that's it. Your asking about wiggle room and I get that, the best deal I found was buying mine new during boat show season and getting as much throw in as I could get.

I’ll second this, we love ours for the freeboard with young kiddos, I like the layout of the screen (VS behind the steering wheel), it takes on rollers like a much bigger boat, wave is great... and I bought mine and found a second for a friend (under 100 hours) for under $50k. Happy to help you look if needed, know of one in particular that’s built out and bottom of your range.

Lightfoot
05-17-2019, 04:28 PM
I’ll second this, we love ours for the freeboard with young kiddos, I like the layout of the screen (VS behind the steering wheel), it takes on rollers like a much bigger boat, wave is great... and I bought mine and found a second for a friend (under 100 hours) for under $50k. Happy to help you look if needed, know of one in particular that’s built out and bottom of your range.

Yes I would appreciate all the help I can get looking for the right boat, just let me know.

Isaguel
05-18-2019, 10:27 AM
I should make a pitch for 23 ft. Extra room can sometimes make a difference. All these boats are great and throw great waves when the owner understands them and becomes familiar with their boats. The Helix is a great boat, I've seen it throw a great wake in the right hands, its compact and easy to transport and looks good. If you have a smaller crew and don't feel like pulling a lot of weight around every time, its a great choice and 60 should get you a late model, maybe even new. The craz is also a great boat, like most boats off the factory, you need to add more ballast, Looks good, extra space is nice, you'll be happy for it when you have a couple of families join with kids and no one has to stay on shore.

Now, the pitch for the Mojo. I have a '15. extra ballast, <&1000.00 upgrade, and upgraded the tabs to 2.0 for $380.00, and it throws a mean wave. When I clean it and use Quickie sauce, the finish looks like it came off the assembly line. The extra foot does not seem like much, but, I will tell you, it makes a difference with a big crew. The drawback is its heavier and, if you're gonna tow it regularly, you'll need a bigger rig. Otherwise you could probably find a like boat in this condition, that vintage for <55k, and for an extra $1380.00 U can stack it with the ballast bags and have a mean surf machine on the lower end of your budget.

But anyways, buy what works for you, what fits your needs. Any of these boats will make u happy if you do this right.

FamilyMan
05-18-2019, 10:51 AM
I should make a pitch for 23 ft. Extra room can sometimes make a difference. All these boats are great and throw great waves when the owner understands them and becomes familiar with their boats. The Helix is a great boat, I've seen it throw a great wake in the right hands, its compact and easy to transport and looks good. If you have a smaller crew and don't feel like pulling a lot of weight around every time, its a great choice and 60 should get you a late model, maybe even new. The craz is also a great boat, like most boats off the factory, you need to add more ballast, Looks good, extra space is nice, you'll be happy for it when you have a couple of families join with kids and no one has to stay on shore.

Now, the pitch for the Mojo. I have a '15. extra ballast, <&1000.00 upgrade, and upgraded the tabs to 2.0 for $380.00, and it throws a mean wave. When I clean it and use Quickie sauce, the finish looks like it came off the assembly line. The extra foot does not seem like much, but, I will tell you, it makes a difference with a big crew. The drawback is its heavier and, if you're gonna tow it regularly, you'll need a bigger rig. Otherwise you could probably find a like boat in this condition, that vintage for <55k, and for an extra $1380.00 U can stack it with the ballast bags and have a mean surf machine on the lower end of your budget.

But anyways, buy what works for you, what fits your needs. Any of these boats will make u happy if you do this right.

I’ll second that opinion. If you plan on having any friends at all on in addition to your own family, 22ft and up makes it much more enjoyable. I bought our boat after being a boat whore to two families with moombas. A mondo and a 21ft outback (do t know where the extra foot is, feels just as cramped as the 20ft mondo).

When I decided it was time for our fam to get a boat, I really wanted a 23ft minimum, but settled for the 22.5ft max as I loved the freeboard (storage and wife who was nervous to navigate rollers in a ballasted/sunk boat like the older moombas...can barely tell the max is weighted it’s so y’all).

If it’s going to just be you and 2/3 others all the time, helix with a lot of warranty is awesome. If you are going to have 5 somewhat regularly, absolutely go 22ft if you can stretch it....and store it :)

TXSurf4
05-20-2019, 08:52 PM
https://www.onlyinboards.com/2017-Moomba-Craz-for-sale-Waxahachie-Texas-96476.aspx

Saw this boat on only inboards that fits your bill exactly.

parrothd
05-20-2019, 08:57 PM
https://www.onlyinboards.com/2017-Moomba-Craz-for-sale-Waxahachie-Texas-96476.aspx

Saw this boat on only inboards that fits your bill exactly.

Yep.. It'll be gone asap.

parrothd
05-26-2019, 11:07 AM
Yes, OZ was gone. S Bend and the Roswell Aviator. 2 towers that look fairly similar, not like the swoop forward design.

There's a 2017 Craz in the fb group listed for 60k

jason1973
02-04-2020, 03:37 PM
you may be able to get a brand new helix for the money you are proposing.