PDA

View Full Version : 16 Mondo (50hrs) vs 18 axis a20 (carryover new)

Bossman1
05-08-2019, 09:27 AM
Hi Everyone! Been reading forums for months and everyone here is great. First time poster as we get close to purchase. Looking for thoughts/opinions/advice.

A used 16 mondo came in on trade and looks to be in mint condition. The dealer is trying to steer us toward a 2018 carry over axis a 20 for about 8k more.

We've been searching for a 16 or up mondo for months as surf gear is a priority. We looked at the a20 months ago but were turned off by the play pen.

All this being said, does anyone have perspective on pros/cons of each, drastic differences in performance/model years, or just a general opinion on if there is a clear choice?

Thanks everyone for the thoughts, will be a HUGE help!

jason1973
05-08-2019, 10:09 AM
I just bought a 2019 mondo, but looked at every 20-21' boat on the market extensively. I started out wanting the axis. If you would have asked me when i started my search that would have been the boat.. mind was pretty much made up. That was until i looked at a number of them. I couldn't spend the money they were asking for that kind of craftsmanship.

The moomba fit and finish was an entire step up from Axis. Now, not saying axis sucks, its a good surf boat and probably easier to set up than my mondo. But it cost about $2000 more and it looked like a childs lego set. Tiny black and white screen, the dash is sad at best, fiberglass strings hanging in the underseat storage, piping on the seat cushions didn't line up correctly, plastic cup holders that fly out over 30 mph, and on 2 of them the windshield didn't close as it was 1/4" off. Now i can look past some of these things, but i can't justify 80k on a boat built like that.

it reminded me of a boat someone bought and never took care of, but this was a showroom boat. With all these things being there, if the price was lets say $7k or 8k less i would probably overlook most of it and just take care of it myself. But for the price the moomba is far more boat. (2019 vs 2019 comparison).

my biggest worry was how long before the axis started falling apart. If it wasn't showroom ready to begin with, i felt i would be chasing little things for the life of the boat. ON the plus side, they look sharp, surf well (but will have a considerable amount more bow rise), and will probably perform for any water sport you want to do. But i am a quality guy, i research for quality stuff when i spend that amount of money. Axis just didn't fit that category. They have to do better.

sandm
05-08-2019, 10:56 AM
first off, you are not going to get any advice on here to go buy the axis as it's a skiers forum but assume you know that already ;)
any reason why a 20ft boat if you mention surf? spent a lot of time on a mondo from wisconsin and will say the mondo hull is a GREAT wakeboard hull and a decent surf hull however a longer boat is going to net you a longer wave.

that said if you are limited/sold on 20ft, jason is pretty much spot on. axis interiors look like a 10 year old put them together out of the rejected 'bu parts bin. they will put out a good wake but at the expense of laughing at the inside of it. my cousin has had 2 new 'bu's in the last 4 years and was switching to nautty due to perceived poor fit/finish moving from axis to 'bu so it's all the way up and down the company. he had over 100hrs on each boat and mentioned squeaks/rattles and panels coming off. cutting corners/costs to gain profitability for the shareholders.
the mondo I spent time on: wakeboard wave was fantastic compared to my 22ft at the time but surf wave was limited, mostly due to a 20ft hull. I don't recall he had any mechanical issues at all. boat was very solid. interior held up very well. boatmate trailer was 100% better than the metalcraft pos I had under my boat(that can be dealer specific). pulling skiers boat was easy to drive and once I learned the skiers screens, electronics were easy. rode very well in chop.

good luck and no matter which way to turn lots of family memories ahead.

Edo88
05-08-2019, 11:38 AM
What’s the price tag on the mondo if you don’t mind me asking because if you can potentially afford 8k more on a axis I’d keep looking for a bigger moomba boat in your price range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trayson
05-08-2019, 11:45 AM
Turned off by the Playpen bow? Why? I wish Moomba and Supra were still offering them. it's pretty fantastic to have a HUGE storage locker under the bow. I can fit 3+ boards in mine. And it's my wife's favorite place to chill out on the boat. Flip up backrests and all. Plus the flip up backrest makes an instant wind screen. It's great having that extra rear facing seat next to the driver too. I can't say enough good things about playpen bows vs a useless walkway.

That said, sounds like you're getting some good advice on the boats overall compared to each other.

jcredible
05-08-2019, 12:06 PM
Here are some notes I have with a 2018 Mondo that I have:

1) Fit and Finish - Moomba interior fit and finish is hard to beat for the pricepoint. I haven't driven an Axis...but sat in them at boat shows...and even the Helix finish is nicer in my opinion.
2) Surf Wave - I run a pretty decent wave for a 20 foot boat...but as SandM said...a 22 or 23 foot boat has more displacement.
3) Ballast - You will have to upgrade your ballast to get a comparable wave to the Axis A20 out of the gate...it comes with PowerWedge + 2300lbs of ballast...so just not a fair comparison. I run 2x1100s in the rear lockers(probably fill to 1000 each) and the 500 hard tank + 500IBS that came stock. I scatter 500 lbs of lead and then move one of the original 650s around if I only have 1-2 in the boat while surfing...it makes a great wave for the size and is better than stock Craz or Mojo's that I have ridden...just took lots of tinkering!

I do feel like for a 2016 with 50 hours...you should be a little cheaper than 8K off of a brand new Axis though...I haven't regretted buying my Moomba...and would buy another...probably looking at a Max as my next upgrade...bigger = more displacement while still getting to keep some storage!

Bossman1
05-08-2019, 12:33 PM
Fantastic advice! Thanks everyone. In response to some previous questions

1) We've been looking at Mondo & Craz. Our lake is smaller (Approx 300 acres) so not a lot of big boats. Problem is, at our price point ($55-$65K) there are just not a lot of Craz popping up on the market. So we've been focused more on the Mondo with eyes on NXT and also A20.

2) Playpen- Our old boat (ancient invader RIP) had the walk through and I think this is just a matter of "scared of change" and fact that we will have multiple people sitting up there most of the time. With walk through, that seems like a 3 person area but with playpen more like 2.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm soaking this all up!

Matt0520
05-08-2019, 12:48 PM

1) We've been looking at Mondo & Craz. Our lake is smaller (Approx 300 acres) so not a lot of big boats. Problem is, at our price point ($55-$65K) there are just not a lot of Craz popping up on the market. So we've been focused more on the Mondo with eyes on NXT and also A20.

2) Playpen- Our old boat (ancient invader RIP) had the walk through and I think this is just a matter of "scared of change" and fact that we will have multiple people sitting up there most of the time. With walk through, that seems like a 3 person area but with playpen more like 2.

If it were me, I’d rather wait a bit and get the bigger boat. You can find 17-18 Craz’s in the 60s for sure.

parrothd
05-08-2019, 01:00 PM
If it were me, I’d rather wait a bit and get the bigger boat. You can find 17-18 Craz’s in the 60s for sure.

You may want to look claz.org for moomba craz, several boats in your range.

I never buy boats locally, have the owner take to the dealer and get it water tested, usually $150 then have it shipped via uship. :)

https://claz.org/classifieds.html?q=moomba+craz&g=10000&l=65000

sandm
05-08-2019, 02:09 PM
check out onlyinboards.
it was $1300 to ship my current boat last september from oklahoma to las vegas. smooth transaction and excellent shipper. found him on uship as noted above.
I didn't do or pay for a water test but did have a local bass/tooner boat dealer do a once over to verify it's condition and hours. wasn't a local wakeboat dealer close.

and if surfing is your primary goal, I would, as mentioned, hold out or search for a 22ft.

Bossman1
05-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the continued comments. Is "Sight Unseen" purchase common/prevalent in boating circles? I think just generally we've steered away from that as it is a venture into the unknown. Would love to hear other experiences good, bad, or indifferent

BrentC5Z
05-08-2019, 03:40 PM
And it's my wife's favorite place to chill out on the boat. Flip up backrests and all. Plus the flip up backrest makes an instant wind screen. It's great having that extra rear facing seat next to the driver too. I can't say enough good things about playpen bows vs a useless walkway..

Secondededed.

That separation has such a unique quality. It's like splitting the boat in half for 2 groups of people to enjoy. My wife loves this aspect as well.

Bossman1
05-08-2019, 04:02 PM
Forgive my ignorance, why does the bow filler cushion not accomplish the same purpose? Walkway when you want it and playpen when looking to lounge? Seems like that would be preferable option? I know storage was mentioned as key to that as well, is that the main difference? Thanks!

Edo88
05-08-2019, 04:29 PM

I’d stay away from the nxt there’s a reason there is a ton of em used out there.

sandm
05-08-2019, 04:48 PM
^ this...

I have had walk up bow's in the first 2 boats. current has playpen and I hate it. harder than heck to get up front to launch/retrieve the boat on the winch and we don't roll with large enough crews that anyone is ever up front. it really makes it a pita to crawl over cushions to get up front. all my .02 tho.... when i sold the last boat the bow filler cushion was still in the original plastic bag from shipping.

I sold my second boat to a guy over the internet sight unseen and he never inspected. bought the current boat sight unseen other than an quick inspection.
have also bought and sold cars this way.
you get a sense of the integrity of the person on the phone and I have not ever had a bad experience buying/selling but some others will speak differently.

buyer beware and do any due diligence prior to buying....

BrentC5Z
05-08-2019, 05:12 PM
Forgive my ignorance, why does the bow filler cushion not accomplish the same purpose? Walkway when you want it and playpen when looking to lounge? Seems like that would be preferable option? I know storage was mentioned as key to that as well, is that the main difference? Thanks!
(besides the storage)
Playpen's will have a cushion that flips up and completely closes off the front seating area. This functionally accomplishes adding one more backrest up front & separates the passengers in front of the windshield from the rest of the boat.

We take our kids, they bring friends. 16 year old daughter & friends DO NOT want to be around 14 year old son & friends. Big plus here for us.

As mentioned, if it's cold out, you close the glass, flip up the front cushion & you get a much warmer midship. Also mentioned, an additional rear observation seat next to the driver when you flip up the interior back rest cushion.

MJHSupra
05-08-2019, 05:30 PM
I’d stay away from the nxt there’s a reason there is a ton of em used out there.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWhat's the reason? I've heard the need more weight, but that is like any other builder.

I figure it's a starter-boat to get the person hooked on the MC brand, then spend more $$ with an upgrade.

A 20-footer has a limit on how 'good' the surf wake will get. Any brand.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Mendenhall90
05-08-2019, 05:59 PM
I had been looking for 3 years to find the right boat. All I can say is be patient as hard as it is. The right deal will come about in due time. My wife and I just purchased our first boat, 2018 moomba Craz with 3hours on it for 68k. It came equipped with 900# bags in each rear and then the 500# bow bag and the G6 pump upgrade. We’re no professionals by any means but let me tell you it throws more than enough of a wave with just the wife and I in boat. Eventually we may add weight as our skills grow but for the first time/average surfer stock will do just fine for a season or two. In my opinion, go for the boat with the options that will suit you and your family the best even if it’s slightly over your price range you’ll be happier in the long run.

2018 Moomba Craz

Edo88
05-08-2019, 06:44 PM
What's the reason? I've heard the need more weight, but that is like any other builder.

I figure it's a starter-boat to get the person hooked on the MC brand, then spend more $$ with an upgrade.

Everything needs more weight lol. But his price point up too 65k he can find a nxt-22 all day long. He can also find a mojo it’ll be a harder find but doable

Edo88
05-08-2019, 06:56 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190508/f2c3cdde5debe1d3fd761d7c7a9e27e0.jpg

I’m sure if someone was to wheel and deal they could probably get this for 65k if they like the color. I’m a firm believer in buy what you want and don’t settle guess nxt in my opinion would be settling

MJHSupra
05-08-2019, 09:43 PM
I had been looking for 3 years to find the right boat. All I can say is be patient as hard as it is. The right deal will come about in due time. My wife and I just purchased our first boat, 2018 moomba Craz with 3hours on it for 68k. It came equipped with 900# bags in each rear and then the 500# bow bag and the G6 pump upgrade. We’re no professionals by any means but let me tell you it throws more than enough of a wave with just the wife and I in boat. Eventually we may add weight as our skills grow but for the first time/average surfer stock will do just fine for a season or two. In my opinion, go for the boat with the options that will suit you and your family the best even if it’s slightly over your price range you’ll be happier in the long run.

2018 Moomba CrazGood choice and price-point for that boat.

Mendenhall90
05-08-2019, 09:51 PM
Good choice and price-point for that boat.

Yes we are extremely happy with what we got after waiting so long. Up to 7hours on it now so we’re almost done with the 10hr break-in point. Only another 15 before we have to swap out the “break-in” oil. Even the pups got over the idea of having to wear shoes after going for a evening cruise. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190509/630b6ef9fea0ec41dfa2a364f260f0a2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190509/bce7617a0c804eda1d20784711779e1f.jpg https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190509/96def5b4ceae5523a6905391d480adc1.jpg

2018 Moomba Craz

Bossman1
05-08-2019, 09:56 PM
Stunning boat! Thanks for the perspective and the pictures.

Mendenhall90
05-08-2019, 10:06 PM
Stunning boat! Thanks for the perspective and the pictures.

Thank you!! I guess all I can really say is you’re the one making the payments on which ever boat you choose. Go with which boat suits the needs of your family. Whether that be price, performance, or looks I’m sure you’ll be happy with a new toy!

2018 Moomba Craz

parrothd
05-08-2019, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the continued comments. Is "Sight Unseen" purchase common/prevalent in boating circles? I think just generally we've steered away from that as it is a venture into the unknown. Would love to hear other experiences good, bad, or indifferent

You can always fly out and check it out, I did that the first time. Now I don't bother but this is my 3rd boat and car purchase over the Internet. Generally, you can find a way cheaper boat out west, even factoring in flight, hotel and shipping.

You have to do your due diligence, a certfied dealer doing a water test is a must.

Also you have to pull the trigger quick, there's no waiting and thinking about it. If it's priced right it'll be gone.

MJHSupra
05-09-2019, 06:38 AM
Also you have to pull the trigger quick, there's no waiting and thinking about it. If it's priced right it'll be gone.

This is a good point. There was an SE on Facebook that was priced at $76k. It was sold in 1 day by the private owner. People were asking why that price, dude wanted it gone and that was his loan payoff.

jason1973
05-09-2019, 09:18 AM
What's the reason? I've heard the need more weight, but that is like any other builder.

I also looked at the nxt as i was coming from a mastercraft and was always happy. But the NXT isn't a mastercraft as far as i am concerned. Its the most boring boat of all. Very plain, nothing exciting, usually sold with the 320 hp motor (only option in the 20) WHICH is probably enough, but you get more with moomba. The tower on the NXT is hideous. The dash is nothing to look at and a bit thing that i noticed was you can't sit by the tower. The handles will dig right into the back of your neck. I did show this to one of the factory reps at a boat show and he took some notes and said it was quite obvious and that he appreciated the feedback. So who knows, that may change. But for the same or less money the moomba was better. You do get some of the MC quality but at the cost of "extremely boring" boat.

MC should have called it something else like BU and SC does. It screams cheap when its not really cheap. It looks cheap and plain. MC can do better than NXT. The dealer close me won't even order any for stock, says they just aren't that in demand.

Matt0520
05-09-2019, 10:20 AM
I also looked at the nxt as i was coming from a mastercraft and was always happy. But the NXT isn't a mastercraft as far as i am concerned. Its the most boring boat of all. Very plain, nothing exciting, usually sold with the 320 hp motor (only option in the 20) WHICH is probably enough, but you get more with moomba. The tower on the NXT is hideous. The dash is nothing to look at and a bit thing that i noticed was you can't sit by the tower. The handles will dig right into the back of your neck. I did show this to one of the factory reps at a boat show and he took some notes and said it was quite obvious and that he appreciated the feedback. So who knows, that may change. But for the same or less money the moomba was better. You do get some of the MC quality but at the cost of "extremely boring" boat.

MC should have called it something else like BU and SC does. It screams cheap when its not really cheap. It looks cheap and plain. MC can do better than NXT. The dealer close me won't even order any for stock, says they just aren't that in demand.

*claps enthusiastically* AMEN

sandm
05-09-2019, 10:42 AM
when its not really cheap.

come on man... 59k all day* :)

*base price. price does not include options or addon's such as trailer, engine, steering wheel, seats, gauges or hull.

BrentC5Z
05-09-2019, 10:54 AM
This is a good point. There was an SE on Facebook that was priced at $76k. It was sold in 1 day by the private owner. People were asking why that price, dude wanted it gone and that was his loan payoff.

When shopping in Feb., I spent a day in OKC looking at a list of boats, & 2 days in DFW area. Slalom Shop guy in Lewisville said they wouldn't negotiate more than $1,500 on anything used and all his inventory would be sold in the next 90 days, TX Mastercraft guy said, "if you find something in your budget in decent shape, buy it right away". Just confirmation it's a sellers market especially as the weather warms.

Last day in TX I drove out to BFE to a private seller. Boat was in decent shape and the price was right. Wrote him a check and drug it home that day. Most important thing once you buy, QUIT SHOPPING.

jason1973
05-09-2019, 11:04 AM
come on man... 59k all day* :)

*base price. price does not include options or addon's such as trailer, engine, steering wheel, seats, gauges or hull.

without a trailer, tower speakers and pretty much everything else on the check list. 59k was boat with 2 colors.. that's about all you got. . Even loaded up it was plain. And again, that TOWER.. terrible. And they upgraded it this year and that only made it 1% better than the year before. Trust me, i love MC, but the NXT is just a bad idea.

MJHSupra
05-09-2019, 11:23 AM

Never been able to take a ride on one in the water and did not know much about them. The handles in your neck sounds like a 'great' selling point. I agree with most on here. The local dealer has about 4-6 NTX22s in stock and they are listing them for 98K. For that price you can get A LOT of MOOMBA.

I would assume if you are buying entry level and you want a MC, that person better be willing to pay b/c your right, it's not cheap. Nothing is for MC. Still think they are trying to "brand you into MC" by offering that boat, getting someone into the entry-level, them move you to the higher level if you are happy with the brand.

Not looking to smack-talk MC, a friend has a 2016 X30, love that boat.

sandm
05-09-2019, 12:05 PM
mc makes a good boat that at the top end in the x and xt series has top rate stuffs and have heard a couple of their models surf amazingly but the nxt was, as mentioned, a bad idea. if you have MC brand goggles it makes sense to offer a budget rate boat but part of the issue is they are making a budget boat and pricing well into mid-tier boat territory. nxt20 pretty well gussied up at mid60's would sell some. but a quick check on onlyinboards shows nxt20's new in the mid70's and up. that territory puts a LOT of better boats with more options/fit/finish into the mix. so now you bought a new one in the mid 70's. couple year old examples can be had in the 50's. do the math and you are paying more than other budget boats and have now depreciated to the same level. all to say you own a MC.

mj, you are correct in that the original plan was to get you hooked on the brand but imo most that can afford mc will not have an issue paying for the uprated models. really wonder how many of their clients in the last 5 years spend 70 on an nxt and in 3 or 4 years when trade in time comes have seen their income levels rise(or triple) to be trading on a x30.

heyday is the same model. introduce entry 20ft boat at 39k. problem is it's no frills so it doesn't weigh anything so it's not the greatest at surfing. now introduce a longer hull with more ballast capacity and still no frills. only now it's priced 60's. no brainer to look at other boats that will have more frills. polar bear reviews of the heyday say it surfs decently and was a surprise but price will kill it. bayliner will sell/shut down the brand in the next 2 or 3 years.

korey
05-09-2019, 12:07 PM
Since this thread was originally about an A20 vs Mondo, and i was in an '18 Axis this weekend... WTF is up with their dash?! does ANYONE actually like that?! it looks like it belongs in a playschool car! This was about the first time that I spent any time in a nearly new Axis. It's a good boat, but it sure made me feel good about my Moomba! In rough water, it sounded like it was made out of paper mache. Everything that you touch (grab handles, switches, even the ignition key) felt inferior. I will say - I like surfing behind surf gate boats, and this A22 didn't disappoint. That is the star of the show. Their captain's chair was better too - but just marginally. It'll be hard for me NOT to seriously consider a Malibu when i step up to big boy boats, but I just don't see why anyone buys an Axis. I think i'd rather just have a loaded up Heyday and that's a fugly boat!

sandm
05-09-2019, 12:19 PM
korey, funny you mention what you do.
cousin came from an old tige and bought a new 'bu in 14. traded it in on another new 'bu in 16. 115k+(msrp in the 130's). after a year and 100hrs he was selling, complaining about the poor finish, panels loose/rattling and overall lack of build quality. materials were solid but not put together well. sold for nautty. he said the surf and wakeboard wake were one of the best he had ridden-making the comment they are not pro surfers knowing surfgate is not the best but solid wave and easy to switch- but felt they are too focused on profits vs quality. similar to your comments on axis.

now to the OP, show us pics of the moomba we all spent YOUR money on :)

Bossman1
05-09-2019, 01:29 PM
OP here! Thanks everyone for the commentary. Beneficial stuff. I know we're all Mooba homers, but it good to hear that NXT and Axis don't hold up! We've definitely gained some perspective that potentially should continue to explore for Craz. Sounds like that extra 1.5ft makes a big difference in surf performance. Would we be crazy to go Mondo over Craz if we can get same year similar options at a ~$5k spread?

korey
05-09-2019, 01:37 PM
The only factors that i could imagine that would push you into a Mondo for the difference in price would be lake restrictions and storage. otherwise, the price is so similar, why not!?

sandm
05-09-2019, 01:50 PM
if I had it to do all over again, 5k spent over and above what I spent on my original supra 20ssv to get a 22ssv I would probably still have a 22ssv.

korey is spot on. unless garage/lake says 20ft only, hold out for a longer boat. for surfing you will not be disappointed. if all you do is board, mondo is an amazing wake and I'd say save the coin.

korey
05-09-2019, 02:03 PM
That being said - i know what ANOTHER $5000 felt like when i bought my boat and it probably wasn't int he cards.

FamilyMan
05-09-2019, 04:06 PM
I know that it is not the main question, but I would also discourage the MC. This past weekend surfed my boat, then hopped onto my buddies X23 (which on paper in 2018 was my favorite boat when $$ was not a factor....I really dig those transom seats). Sometimes you should never meet your heros. Portside wave was absolute garbage. OK push, especially for stock ballast, and perhaps my buddy has not really dialed it in, but the wave was really disappointing. My MAX with midships was, granted subjectively, much longer, bigger, and more push. The thing tracked very well while surfing, I will give it that. Billet and vinyl nice of course. But no way I would take a NXT, because I no longer desire an X23, which should be much much better, after this weekend.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190509/cb0e601e0e44c00914116bb4c79f14f7.jpg

jcredible
05-09-2019, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't write off a Mondo...with the right weight setup...it throws a pretty decent wave! I have attached a pic to show what a Mondo is capable of.

https://i.imgur.com/HylN3oh.jpg

Bossman1
05-09-2019, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't write off a Mondo...with the right weight setup...it throws a pretty decent wave! I have attached a pic to show what a Mondo is capable of.

jcredible that wave looks awesome. Assuming you've got extra weight and maybe some lead? Would you be able to inform on your setup? Thanks!

Kxmoomba
05-09-2019, 05:40 PM

Looks like Lucky Peak

jcredible
05-09-2019, 05:49 PM
Yeah, my setup is as follows:

a. 1000lbs up front(500 hard tank, 500 IBS)
b. 1140s in each rear...wakemaker exactfit(they probably only get 1000lbs in them due to size of rear lockers) - I removed the carpet covered spacer to allow them to fill more too.
c. 500 lbs of lead scattered throughout the boat.
d. I use one of the 650 lbs original rear bags to sit on the floor infront of the rear sear(kinda midship) - I run this if I got less than 4-5 in the boat...otherwise I usually keep it in storage.

Regular Wave Setup
1. Run at about 10.9mph
2. I think surf tab at 60 or 65
3. Trim Tab depends on rider profile...but usually 20-30%
4. Typically I run equal weighting and just throw some extra people on the surf side.

Goofy Wave Setup
1. I gotta run at 11.3ish to clean up the wave nicely.
2. I think surf tab at 60 or 65.
3. Trim tab typically the same at 20-30%.
4. I gotta take ~300 lbs outta the opposite locker and list the boat quite a bit more to get a consistent wave with similar push to my regular....took me most of the summer last year to get the goofy dialed 100%....taking the boat out this weekend for the first time this year....so can update if I got it dialed still :)

That pic only has 2 people in the boat too...which is pretty cool...to be 100% honest I have the most consistent wave with 2-4 people as I know where everything needs to be though :)

jcredible
05-09-2019, 05:51 PM
Looks like Lucky Peak

Up in Canada...reservoir called Little Bow in Southern Alberta!

sandm
05-09-2019, 05:58 PM
kx- it does look like peak just no covers and red docks anywhere :)

man I miss that lake.....

jason1973
05-10-2019, 08:54 AM
thats alot of weight. WE aren't pro surfers just beginners but hope we can go ropeless with our mondo. i have 800's in back each side, 500 IB, and 500 mid for a total of 2600 lbs.

i have to be careful with lead as i am pushing the limits of my boat lift.

jcredible
05-10-2019, 01:10 PM
you'll surf good on that Jason, I ran for a couple months with the 2300 lbs stock and 500 lbs of lead and it was a great wave.

If your dealer let you keep the 650s, convert one of them over to take the Tsunamic Pump and it will simulate an extra 4 adults in the boat!

trayson
05-10-2019, 04:36 PM

Well, this was a guy that I'd talked to regularly on the forums. When he decided to sell his boat, he offered it to me first, and at a great price. Lots of pictures, and lots of discussion followed. But I knew the boat and its history from this forum. He was a stand up guy and it worked out great.

So to some extent a filler cushion does make the bow more playpen like. But you don't get that backrest that flips up to become a windscreen. You also don't get that extra observer seat (with another flip up backrest) next to the driver.

so far this year, for the early season we've had small crews and haven't been using the bow for people. It's been a little chilly in the evenings so that flip up cushion is making a windscreen by closing off the bow. And if I flip up boat seats, I have a little "storage" area between the two backrests where I can put extra dry gear between sets. (note, the the Axis boats I've been in with this feature, they don't have a "floor" under the flipup backrests. so when you have the backrests flipped up, if you tried to step in between them or store stuff in between them, you'd fall through to the storage locker or step on the filled up ballast bag. Huge oversight on that one for Axis).

And when motoring back when it's cold, you can never have too many seats behind the windshield. Maybe some people don't like having that extra rear facing seat right next to the driver, but I don't mind at all.

I have had walk up bow's in the first 2 boats. current has playpen and I hate it. harder than heck to get up front to launch/retrieve the boat on the winch and we don't roll with large enough crews that anyone is ever up front. it really makes it a pita to crawl over cushions to get up front. all my .02 tho.... when i sold the last boat the bow filler cushion was still in the original plastic bag from shipping.

That's where I get confused. How is it hard to just walk on the cushions like you walk on your sundeck cushions in the back? I don't see any real difference. I'm not wearing shoes in my boat, so my bare feet produce no wear and tear on the upholstry. In fact, the cushions in the playpen were among the least worn of all the ones that recently got replaced.

When launching the boat, I unhook the bow winch from the eye. Back in, have the wife start the boat. When she's ready, I back a couple feet further and hit the brakes and the boat slides right off, nice and straight. We launch like a boss.

When docking, I nose up to the dock and the wife steps off. If we had a walkthrough bow, she'd still have to step on the cushion at the nose of the boat and then onto the nose of the bow as she stepped off. Then she gets the truck and backs it down. I drive it onto the trailer, and up until the bow eye is at the roller. I then leave it slightly in gear as I go up in the bow and get on my knees to reach over and latch the trailer winch strap to the bow eye. (Note: I'd have to be kneeling on that bow nose cushion if I had a walkthtough to do this, so no difference there). Then I'll either go back to the captain's seat and put the throttle in Neutral and turn off the key, or someone that's a regular crew member will likely do that for me. I'll simply holler "UP" to the wife through the opened rear truck window and she'll pull out boat out. Quick and surgical.

SO really the difference is a few feet of the wife walking on the bow cushions before she'd have to step on up on the nose cushion anyway, or me crawling over the bow cushions before I'd have to kneel on the nose cushion anyway. No real difference in my experience. And once you'll only whack your head on the Cargo Bimini ONCE before you are trained to duck before stepping down from the playpen into the cabin!!!

(besides the storage)
Playpen's will have a cushion that flips up and completely closes off the front seating area. This functionally accomplishes adding one more backrest up front & separates the passengers in front of the windshield from the rest of the boat.

We take our kids, they bring friends. 16 year old daughter & friends DO NOT want to be around 14 year old son & friends. Big plus here for us.

As mentioned, if it's cold out, you close the glass, flip up the front cushion & you get a much warmer midship. Also mentioned, an additional rear observation seat next to the driver when you flip up the interior back rest cushion.

All of this. And the storage aspect is HUGE. I'm not kidding when I say that I regularly put 3 or 4 boards into the playpen locker. Out of sight, out of mind. When we're trailering or mooring at a campground, that storage is priceless. I hate going in boats and not having a place to put boards (both when we're parked and when we're underway). My buddy's G23 has space for 4 boards on the tower and a walkthrough with a filler cushion. 4-5 boards is the absolute MINIMUM that we'd ever be out playing with. On my buddy's G23 with the walkthrough, there's almost always someone's board up in the bow or banging around in the walkthrough. Yuck.

Now when we're surfing or wakeboarding we certainly can't have boards in my playpen locker, because we have that filled with 1180 pounds of ballast! woo hoo! There hasn't been a single time when I was like "I wish I had a walkthrough". It's just dead space IMO.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm VERY PARTICULAR in what I like to have on my boat. Tons of storage, tons of seating, room for ballast, etc. That's why to circle back, when I was deciding what boat I'd want to upgrade from my Supra Sunsport direct drive to a V-Drive, that the list was short because I fell in love with the playpen in our Supra (who invented the concept in wake boats).

sandm
05-10-2019, 05:07 PM
may work on your boat tray but not all boats have access to the playpen space underneath. mine does not-except flip up cushion that hides the windscreen block to pull out and install. quite frankly there's nothing I'd store under it as you have to then remove it to fill ballast. we only bring what fits on the boat outside of ballast compartments.

the best of both worlds is a walkthru with a cushion option to turn it into a playpen. keeps everyone happy.

jason, you'll surf well with that mondo. the one I was on had a lot of extra ballast from replacement bags. I think he had the ibs up front as well but not sure. no lead. it had a good height and a lot of push. going with a longer hull will net you extra length. I could get a good wave with my old supra 20 but the immediate notice moving to a 22ft hull was length.
that mondo was prior to the raptor motors and he spec'ed with the 409 motor. all I can say was holy heck it was a beast out of the hole. full throttle would almost tear your arms off. and sounded crazy at wot....

trayson
05-10-2019, 05:23 PM
may work on your boat tray but not all boats have access to the playpen space underneath. mine does not-except flip up cushion that hides the windscreen block to pull out and install. quite frankly there's nothing I'd store under it as you have to then remove it to fill ballast. we only bring what fits on the boat outside of ballast compartments.

the best of both worlds is a walkthru with a cushion option to turn it into a playpen. keeps everyone happy. .

You're right, the only thing I store in the playpen locker is boards. But having 3 boards stowed away while trailering is pretty rad. And agreed, we only bring what we can store on the tower while underway. I can do 12 boards on my tower. (4 in factory racks, 4 more in aftermarket swivel wakeboard racks, 2 on the cargo bimini frame, and 2 more on the overhead racks above the tower). Do I have all them full all the time? No. But 4 boards on my boat would be the absolute minimum and more typically it'd be a lot more. Tomorrow will be 8 boards on racks. the OEM racks don't get used too often but there's no reason to remove them.

The Max is the only thing that's even come close to having enough storage to keep me happy. And the filler cushion in that would be a compromise, but would make me happy 'enough'. And the fact that it already has 1000 under the bow and BIG storage areas in all the lockers.

But ultimately all this is Probably why I'm so in love with my XLV. And I keep telling myself this because I owe less than $10k on my XLV and it's got new upholstery and I can't afford a bigger boat payment!!!