PDA

View Full Version : RPM Gauge not working

98outback
01-21-2007, 11:07 PM
Well i pulled the boat out this weekend and fired it up and my RPM gauge is not working. I have a 1998 outback. The hour meter is working but not the tach. It is already wakeboardig weather here and florida and i am wanting to fix this before i go out. I am planning on checking the connections on the back of the gauge tomorrow but what else should i look for? Such as on the engine etc. Thanks

mattva65
01-22-2007, 12:03 AM
I hope you get your tach fixed, But talking about going wakeboarding when we are having a ice storm is just harsh. :(

98outback
01-22-2007, 10:05 PM
i didnt get a chance to check the wires today since it is raining. what should i check for on the actual engine. Sorry about the ice storms. It is 75 here today but the news said we should be getting a cold front in a day or two.

Brian Raymond
01-23-2007, 12:13 AM
First, check the grounds. There may be some corrosion between the terminals. First, remove the batt. gnd. cable at the engine block, clean and grease the surface. unplug the engine harness and check and clean the terminals, then apply a dielectric lube and reconnect. When laying and looking up at the backside of the tach, be sure the ground wire has a good connection on the right hand mounting post. If the tach. still doesn't work, call your local dealer for a new one. The dealer can have one drop shipped to you if travel is a inconvenience. Hope this helps, keep us posted. Brian Raymond