PDA

View Full Version : 2017 helix surf settings

Liveforthelake
04-29-2019, 03:54 PM
Hey all! I’m having a heck of a time getting my new helix set up. I have the upgraded ballast (2100lbs) with an additional 800lbs of steel mostly towards the back. I’m not getting any push unless I take out 40-50% of my front sack leaving me then with a shorter wave. So I’m currently running 100% on both sides and 55% front with my surf plate at 100 and wake plate at 0. Anyone advice much appreciated!

2017 Moomba Helix

jph3
04-29-2019, 04:53 PM
Paging LAWake!

I’ll pull my details tonight and will get you some specs if all else.

Liveforthelake
04-29-2019, 05:15 PM
Much appreciated!

2017 Moomba Helix

LAwake
04-29-2019, 05:48 PM
Paging LAWake!

I’ll pull my details tonight and will get you some specs if all else.

Lol..........

LAwake
04-29-2019, 05:54 PM
Hey all! I’m having a heck of a time getting my new helix set up. I have the upgraded ballast (2100lbs) with an additional 800lbs of steel mostly towards the back. I’m not getting any push unless I take out 40-50% of my front sack leaving me then with a shorter wave. So I’m currently running 100% on both sides and 55% front with my surf plate at 100 and wake plate at 0. Anyone advice much appreciated!

2017 Moomba Helix

OK, first, a few questions?
1) are you using Autowake or do you have AW?
2)Where exactly is the 800# of steel positioned at?
3) How fast are you going?
4)And very importantly: How deep is the water you're trying to surf in?
5) Do you have the SURF EDITION? (in other words how much weight do you have up front? The 400# hard tank in the floor or that plus the 400# in bow bag for a total of 800#?

I already see a few issues just from reading your current settings in the original post but I don't want to address them yet. I want to get the big picture before I throw a bunch of numbers your way. I'll try to help you all at once instead of chasing numbers and set-ups once you give me some more info from these 5 questions.

We'll get you dialed in, I guarantee it.

jph3
04-29-2019, 06:51 PM
Lol..........

You know you got the secret sauce :)

I’ll let you do your thing... I almost posted your recommendations, but I will just say it was set it and forget it.

Liveforthelake
04-29-2019, 09:22 PM
5) Do you have the SURF EDITION? (in other words how much weight do you have up front? The 400# hard tank in the floor or that plus the 400# in bow bag for a total of 800#?

I already see a few issues just from reading your current settings in the original post but I don't want to address them yet. I want to get the big picture before I throw a bunch of numbers your way. I'll try to help you all at once instead of chasing numbers and set-ups once you give me some more info from these 5 questions.

1) no auto wake
2) steel is under side seats as close as possible to rear sacs with 100lbs of those under the rear sacs on each side. (200lbs total) equally distributed
3)10.9
4) 60-120ft
5) surf edition(hard tank in floor plus bow bag)

Thanks again for your time on this!

2017 Moomba Helix

Stazi
04-30-2019, 08:12 AM

2017 Moomba Helix

You NEVER need surf plate at 100%. That will make the wave flat as shit. Yes, I know what I am saying. Contrary to what you might think the more you deploy the surf plate does not mean the bigger the wave. When you reply it too far it lifts the stern out of the water. More is NOT better

Try deploying the surf plate between 45-55% and max out all the ballast. Lead should be weighted mostly mid ship with some bias toward the rear. add extra ballast to surf side. With a 400lb bag on surf side seat if you are running with only a couple of people. Wakeplate all the way up. 10.6-11mph is the sweet spot. Slower end for starters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LAwake
04-30-2019, 07:42 PM
1) no auto wake
2) steel is under side seats as close as possible to rear sacs with 100lbs of those under the rear sacs on each side. (200lbs total) equally distributed
3)10.9
4) 60-120ft
5) surf edition(hard tank in floor plus bow bag)

Thanks again for your time on this!

2017 Moomba Helix

1)Ok, No Autowake as in you don't have it or not using it? Doesn't matter right now but might once you get dialed in.
2)As far as the steel , you need to move it more to mid ship on surf side and some up front as opposed to the rear, if that's where it is now. (I would put 400 under surf side seat and 400 up front under bow filler cushion on floor or on top of the cushion if you have one.

It sounds like you have a crap load of weight in the rear and very little (800#ish ) front weight. Then you said you're actually draining the front to 55% to try to get more push but actually it's adding to your issues. Dropping front weight will increase the rear displacement so you probably ended up with a very tall,short wave right off the back of the boat with no push.

3)Like Stazi said 10.6-11 to start with so you're good right now around 10.9.
4)You're in plenty deep enough water. A lot of people overlook that factor but you're good.
5) Good, so you should have around 800#. That's good because you've added the bigger bags so you need more bow weight. 800 is a good start but as you'll see from my numbers in a minute, you will need 400-500 more for the Helix to maximize things. The added bow weight will increase the length and help with push.

OK man, your settings are way off. Like Stazi said you never want to be at 100 on your surf plate. Right now, that, more than anything, is killing your wave. It probably sounds backwards but once you realize how the plates work, it makes sense. 50%-70% is the range that I've found with my set up that maximizes the Helix. The lower end % for surf style and the higher % for skim style. As for the wake plate you say you're at 0 so that's good. You'll never want to be higher than 25. 10-20% is about as high as I ever run on the Helix with my ballast set up.

LAwake
04-30-2019, 08:21 PM
So here is my set up after a lot of hours of testing and moving things all around the boat. This is what has worked for me and my Helix but I'm still a work in progress and will start re-dialing in things in a few weeks when I hit the water. I've sent these settings to several Helix owners and they've all stated that the settings worked well for them so hopefully it will you as well. Stazi and KnoxMojo helped me along the way as well and got me started in the right direction.

Total weight:
Front/middle floor- 1350
Rear-2280
Non surf- 450 Lead and driver
Surf side- 1065 ballast and 2 passengers
Close to 5100ish total

I run this on my small crew days which is my normal trip.
When we have additional passengers, I tweak it by removing lead where needed.

I run 15-20% on center wake plate, 55% on surfplate when I go surfstyle and 65-70% for my son who goes skim style (starboard to surf port), I run 10.7-11.7 mph depending on what I want the wave to do (slower will give more height and less length, faster is less height and more length. It's about finding the combo that YOU want) I too have the SURF EDITION so I have 800# up front/floor. I run an additional 550# of leadwake bags on top of the bow cushion. Since I added the upgraded bags (like you) you need to add front weight to maintain a 60/40 ration between rear/front. This keeps you from having that tall, short wave right off the back of the boat.
Non surf side- 200# lead (plus 200# driver most of the time)
Surf side- 250# of lead, and I re-used one of my stock 650# bags (filled in compartment until it's full and I have room to put seats back down) It's around 500# based on fill time with portable pump. And I usually have an adult and teen on surf side (315# total)

I surf port side so I run starboard tab anywhere from 50-70 depending on what I want wave shape to be. 55%- taller wave for surf style, 70%- longer, more mellow wave for skim. Less than 55 or more than 70, the wave starts to wash out.

I run 100% on all ballast. Occasionally I will drain non surf side to 80% and it helps some but I haven't seen a huge difference in the wave by doing it.

Hopefully, this will help ya my friend. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to help if I can. If you aren't in a position to but lead/more ballast right now, the first few things I would do is change your surf tab settings, move your steel 1/2 midship surf side and 1/2 up front.

If you have Autowake and just don't use it, I'll share some info with you concerning it once you try some of these set-ups.

Stazi
04-30-2019, 09:20 PM
Nice post!

LAwake
05-01-2019, 07:47 AM
Nice post!

Thanks Stazi, you were a big help along the way when I was first trying to dial it in so you had a part in those numbers. Hope you're doing well man.

Stazi
05-01-2019, 08:07 AM
Thanks Stazi, you were a big help along the way when I was first trying to dial it in so you had a part in those numbers. Hope you're doing well man.

I’m doing well, Derek. Boat is on the hoist and looking forward to the first wake sets of the season soon!

Glad to be of help, and glad to see that you learned stuff on your own along the way to tweak it to your boat and preferences. Great to see you pass that on to others. Pay it forward!

Stay well my friend.

Surf’s up bitches!

Liveforthelake
05-01-2019, 03:26 PM
So here is my set up after a lot of hours of testing and moving things all around the boat. This is what has worked for me and my Helix but I'm still a work in progress and will start re-dialing in things in a few weeks when I hit the water. I've sent these settings to several Helix owners and they've all stated that the settings worked well for them so hopefully it will you as well. Stazi and KnoxMojo helped me along the way as well and got me started in the right direction.

Total weight:
Front/middle floor- 1350
Rear-2280
Close to 5100ish total

I run 15-20% on center wake plate, 55% on surfplate when I go surfstyle and 65-70% for my son who goes skim style (starboard to surf port), I run 10.7-11.7 mph depending on what I want the wave to do (slower will give more height and less length, faster is less height and more length. It's about finding the combo that YOU want) I too have the SURF EDITION so I have 800# up front/floor. I run an additional 550# of leadwake bags on top of the bow cushion. Since I added the upgraded bags (like you) you need to add front weight to maintain a 60/40 ration between rear/front. This keeps you from having that tall, short wave right off the back of the boat.
Surf side- 250# of lead, and I re-used one of my stock 650# bags (filled in compartment until it's full and I have room to put seats back down) It's around 500# based on fill time with portable pump. And I usually have an adult and teen on surf side (315# total)

I surf port side so I run starboard tab anywhere from 50-70 depending on what I want wave shape to be. 55%- taller wave for surf style, 70%- longer, more mellow wave for skim. Less than 55 or more than 70, the wave starts to wash out.

I run 100% on all ballast. Occasionally I will drain non surf side to 80% and it helps some but I haven't seen a huge difference in the wave by doing it.

Hopefully, this will help ya my friend. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to help if I can. If you aren't in a position to but lead/more ballast right now, the first few things I would do is change your surf tab settings, move your steel 1/2 midship surf side and 1/2 up front.

If you have Autowake and just don't use it, I'll share some info with you concerning it once you try some of these set-ups.

Thanks a ton! This is great info! I don’t have AutoWake ( to my knowledge or the sales rep never showed it to me on demo day).

I’ll move some weight around, make some number changes and report back... Thanks so much for your time on this!!! Stazi too!!!

2017 Moomba Helix

LAwake
05-01-2019, 09:52 PM
Anytime man. Glad to help and hopefully you get it dialed in. Let me know how it goes.

Liveforthelake
06-02-2019, 02:42 PM

Total weight:
Front/middle floor- 1350
Rear-2280
Close to 5100ish total

Alright, so I had some time to get on the lake finally and moved weight around. Since I only had my wife and 50lb daughter so filled up my old 400lb fat sac (3qtrs full) and laid it on the seat to mimic 2 more passengers, since I normally surf with 3-4 adults. I started out taking 200lbs from back to front. No change. I moved 300lbs to the front as pictured. I finally got a wave worth surfing but had to take surf plate to 90. Still don’t have a wave better than my old lsv. P.S. I surf goofy. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190602/77665af94b303d30f8fc7f9ac9f1585c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190602/f0479ed4004c1898e2a2107d511e31f1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190602/26061a18d41ec846bef2ed87f85c487b.jpg

2017 Moomba Helix

Stazi
06-02-2019, 02:44 PM
There’s no way you need that much surf plate deployment. It will make a really long but flat wave.

Stazi
06-02-2019, 02:48 PM
11.3-11.4 is pretty fast. I surf at 11.1 and I thinks that’s quick for a big guy like me. I’m 6’2” and 208lb

Try starting out at 10.5 and move up from there 11.4 and up (12) is what my 90lb son surfs at.

Liveforthelake
06-02-2019, 02:48 PM
There’s no way you need that much surf plate deployment. It will make a really long but flat wave.

I started at 45 and worked up. It was washy until 60. It did this with front weight at 200 and 500.

2017 Moomba Helix

saskie99
06-16-2021, 01:32 PM

Yep I need help also....
I came from a 2005 Lsv that was maxed out for ballast and it threw a better "goofy" wave than the helix I just bought and I am super disappointed about it. I contacted wakemakers and purchased the 1050s Helix specific bags and the boat has the bow bag already installed, I have 250 lbs of steel behind the driver but still not happy with the goofy side wave. I have tried to add extra 400lbs bags to the rear and it just made the goofy side worse.
I have tried about every combo of surf plate and wakeplate settings to get it how I want it but with no luck.
I like to skim style at 11.3 mph
24-30 feet of water.
I have not tried to use autowake yet.
Needless to say I am pretty bummed my old boat rolled a better wave than my new one and I am not a newbie to boating or wakesurfing so I am pretty frustrated!
I would appreciate any help.

Holdmybeer
06-16-2021, 01:46 PM
Yep I need help also....
I came from a 2005 Lsv that was maxed out for ballast and it threw a better "goofy" wave than the helix I just bought and I am super disappointed about it. I contacted wakemakers and purchased the 1050s Helix specific bags and the boat has the bow bag already installed, I have 250 lbs of steel behind the driver but still not happy with the goofy side wave. I have tried to add extra 400lbs bags to the rear and it just made the goofy side worse.
I have tried about every combo of surf plate and wakeplate settings to get it how I want it but with no luck.
24-30 feet of water.
Needless to say I am pretty bummed my old boat rolled a better wave than my new one and I am not a newbie to boating or wakesurfing so I am pretty frustrated!

Don't give up yet. Someone way more qualified can probably help, but I'll give it an attempt from what I have been told about my Mojo.

First off, use autowake. It will keep your pitch and roll numbers correct. 9.5* pitch roll is 5* for goofy. I don't have autowake and I wish I did. Fill everything up and then use your "extra" lead and bags in the bow to help maintain pitch so autowake doesn't dump ballast. This should get you close and then the experts will get your correct. My buddies craz with autowake has the port tab at 80%, starboard at 0% and wake plate at 5% when surfing goofy. Not sure what the helix would need.

Liveforthelake
06-17-2021, 10:57 AM
Yep I need help also....
24-30 feet of water.

I feel your pain and was very frustrated at first as well. I was told NOT to use auto wake at first until you get it set up. I have your same exact set up. (Wakemakers 1050’s, bow ballast, etc) You need more weight in the bow now. I have two 50lb (one on each side of the bow under the seat and bow bag). You will need to move weight to front as more people jump on the boat. 100lbs (two 50lb) on top of the bow cup holders in the middle. So 200lbs of additional bow weight.

Additionally I have 5 (50lb steel bags) under the seat behind the driver. Two 50lb bags are placed close to driver and the other 3 are on the ledge that connects to rear locker. I also have 5 bags laid out across under the rear seat and when it’s only me and one other person I will move the 3 bags closest to the port side and throw them on the seat in the rear back corner of the starboard side.

Finally, I have two 50lb bags under the port side seat.

Wake plate is 0, surf plate is 65. Hope that helps! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210617/67943c8ba1078e9851e4217f5d98c559.jpg
This is only me and a driver.

saskie99
06-17-2021, 11:56 AM
I feel your pain and was very frustrated at first as well. I was told NOT to use auto wake at first until you get it set up. I have your same exact set up. (Wakemakers 1050’s, bow ballast, etc) You need more weight in the bow now. I have two 50lb (one on each side of the bow under the seat and bow bag). You will need to move weight to front as more people jump on the boat. 100lbs (two 50lb) on top of the bow cup holders in the middle. So 200lbs of additional bow weight.

Additionally I have 5 (50lb steel bags) under the seat behind the driver. Two 50lb bags are placed close to driver and the other 3 are on the ledge that connects to rear locker. I also have 5 bags laid out across under the rear seat and when it’s only me and one other person I will move the 3 bags closest to the port side and throw them on the seat in the rear back corner of the starboard side.

Finally, I have two 50lb bags under the port side seat.

Wake plate is 0, surf plate is 65. Hope that helps! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210617/67943c8ba1078e9851e4217f5d98c559.jpg
This is only me and a driver.

Thank you very much Liveforthelake! I am going to get the lead bags right away and add them to the bow to see what kind of difference it will make.
I wont be at the lake until monday but I snap some pictures and post them on here to show you guys my progress.

Liveforthelake
06-17-2021, 02:17 PM
Thank you very much Liveforthelake! I am going to get the lead bags right away and add them to the bow to see what kind of difference it will make.
I wont be at the lake until monday but I snap some pictures and post them on here to show you guys my progress.

Welcome.. I prefer the steel bags from https://www.swellwake.com/collections/wakeballast
Instead of the typical lead ones. Good luck!