PDA

View Full Version : Anyone disappointed with 2019 stereo with wetsounds?

jason1973
04-29-2019, 08:33 AM
i was setting up my boat this weekend and ended up working on the radio at bit. Trying to get it to sound good. I have the fusion head unit with 10" wetsounds on the tower.

The sub barely makes noise, just vibrates, and there is a serious lack of tuning available on the radio itself. Any recommendations? any help on how to get this to sound better? i had an order X2 with JL Audio that sounded about 10x better than this setup.

All i can find in the radio is Bass, mid, treble, and zones..

Jsuttxlv
04-29-2019, 08:47 AM
I agree, it is a bit disappointing but I don't think they set them up from the factory. It looks like most of the adjustments to the new systems are on the amp only you have to remove the lower amp cover to access the adjustments. I did a google search for Wetsounds syn dx adjustments and there is a pdf that pops up with step by step setup procedure. I haven't messed with mine too much yet but was going to start here. From the factory mine sounded good when listening to the hip hop but not so good with anything else and I'm thinking I need to adjust the gain on the sub channel as well as the crossover settings while listening to my typical music genre style.

MLA
04-29-2019, 11:55 AM
If you try to cross over the Pre-amp signal, you end just competing with the amp's settings. So no need for these setting in the head, just send out a full range signal, which the head does. Adding or subtracting a little BASS, MID and TREBLE is all thats needed IMO.

On the FUSION head unit, does the woofer zone level adjustment actually raise and lower the woofer level? May need to rest your hand on the woofer and feel for its change. Just note, woofer zone volume is a sub-zone of zone-1, so no matter what, if you lower zone-1, the woofer volume goes down.

jason1973
04-29-2019, 03:30 PM
i adjusted everything at the head unit for each zone. Still not impressed. The sub vibrates, but i don't hear anything coming from it. There isn't enough bass if you ask me. I have not adjusted anything on the amps, only on the head unit.

MLA
04-29-2019, 07:08 PM
I understand, trying to help. Answer the above as well as what Hz did you set the woofer at in the head unit unit?

larry_arizona
04-29-2019, 07:12 PM
Not sure if it’s at all like the Supras, but music source makes a huge difference.

Ie.....iPhone as source needs all EQ flat or some suggest the EQ off all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haknslash
04-29-2019, 07:22 PM
Here's video of the WetSounds F1 package (non-amplified cockpit speakers)l be sure you use decent headphones or have a sub on your PC otherwise you won't hear the bass https://youtu.be/_hHfCQuyGtE

I'd check the amp settings like suggested above and not change cross-over too much on the head unit until you at least know how the amp was (or wasn't setup).

sandm
04-29-2019, 07:26 PM
not sure how the setup is from ws but I know that on the last couple tige's I have auditioned the ws factory sub in an IB location doesn't lend itself to earth shattering bass. it's the weakest link in the speaker chain imo.

good luck and hope you discover the magic bullet for the rest of the system but sub really needs a different model in a sealed/ported box.

jason1973
04-29-2019, 09:09 PM
Not sure if it’s at all like the Supras, but music source makes a huge difference.

Ie.....iPhone as source needs all EQ flat or some suggest the EQ off all together.

iPhone EQ? Tell me more. Willing try anything. I checked mine and eq was off. Maybe try bass booster mode?

larry_arizona
04-29-2019, 09:23 PM
Equalizer = EQ

You want your phone EQ off or flat as it causes distortion when combined with the EQ settings on a Supra system.

Took a highly disappointing Supra JL system and made it STELLAR after fixing my phone.

Night and day difference.

haknslash
04-29-2019, 09:24 PM
iPhone EQ? Tell me more. Willing try anything. I checked mine and eq was off. Maybe try bass booster mode?

I typically never use bass boosts in my audio systems as that's generally where you can easily muddy the bass and bring in distortion. You need to set your LPF cross-over and gain first in the amp and then go from there.

jason1973
04-30-2019, 10:00 AM
My EQ was off on the iphone. To be honest wasn't even aware of that setting. So i guess the disappointment continues unless i can figure out something on the Amps.

does anyone have suggested setting for the amps?

MLA
04-30-2019, 10:28 AM
not sure how the setup is from ws but I know that on the last couple tige's I have auditioned the ws factory sub in an IB location doesn't lend itself to earth shattering bass. it's the weakest link in the speaker chain imo.

good luck and hope you discover the magic bullet for the rest of the system but sub really needs a different model in a sealed/ported box.

The biggest factor is the conservative tune chosen by the factory, more then the woofer being IB. although the two alignments may sound different, the output of a 10" IB and a 10" small acoustic suspension would be very close. Output as in moved air. In reality, on some of those hulls, the "IB" cavity behind the woofer is nearly closed. This actually works against the woofer, not in favor of it.

Unleash the 600W amp potential, I think you might have a different option of the woofer.

MLA
04-30-2019, 10:30 AM
does anyone have suggested setting for the amps?

Yes, leave them be until some other things are answered.

The_Robo_Fighter
04-30-2019, 11:03 AM
The sound from the sub is going to be difficult to fix. “Free air” subs can’t produce the low tones you are looking for. It’s just pure physics. There are several threads here where individuals have built custom enclosures around their factory subs. This will help. However, what are you listening to? The sub enclosure recommended will change too. Classical music, sealed. Rock, ported! Rap and hip hop, then bandpass is your choice. I used a ported box and had a custom grill put over the factory hole. Looks good and sounds amazing. Was easy too.

sandm
04-30-2019, 01:05 PM
Unleash the 600W amp potential, I think you might have a different option of the woofer.

doubtful. I've heard quite a few ib woofer installs over the years from many manufacturers/installers and none impressed me much.
that ws offering is just a cheap way to get a "woofer" in a boat. same thing with the 8" free air sub hanging on the deck of our hyundai sonata. it plays a few low notes but runs out of gas easily and begging to be replaced by a 8 or 10 in a box in the trunk.

MLA
04-30-2019, 06:48 PM
I dont get the cheap comment. By no means am I comparing it to larger woofers, ported setups, etc. Simply stating there is room for a power increase, and the woofer will perform MUCH more output, then the OEM. Just replying within your context of the new boat's OEM system.

2018MojoPro
05-01-2019, 02:18 AM
I have the Pro with full wetsounds, and nothing comes tuned. As mentioned earlier, the amps is where I had to tune them, not the head. System sounds awesome now. Went from almost replacing to totally happy. Work on tuning the amps, the good sound is in there.

MLA
05-01-2019, 07:34 AM
Work on tuning the amps, the good sound is in there.

Not if the OP has skewed the cross-over in the head, or the zone control is not attenuating the woofer at all.

jason1973
05-01-2019, 08:11 AM
I have the Pro with full wetsounds, and nothing comes tuned. As mentioned earlier, the amps is where I had to tune them, not the head. System sounds awesome now. Went from almost replacing to totally happy. Work on tuning the amps, the good sound is in there.

Care to share how to improve the system? settings? I am still at a loss. My stereo actually sucks to compared to just about any stereo out there. I would think for the price of this setup it would sound better. Mine sounds muted, dull, no pop, no bass. Sounds like a stereo in a base model chevy.

MLA
05-01-2019, 09:22 AM
Care to share how to improve the system? settings? I am still at a loss. My stereo actually sucks to compared to just about any stereo out there. I would think for the price of this setup it would sound better. Mine sounds muted, dull, no pop, no bass. Sounds like a stereo in a base model chevy.

@jason,

Are my post visible to you?

jason1973
05-01-2019, 09:47 AM
i can see your posts, just very unfamiliar with wetsounds amps. Looking for ideas. I have never tuned an amp before.

shockthis
05-01-2019, 10:22 AM
There are tons of articles on how to tune your amps. adjustments from your head unit really won't do a whole lot.
https://www.caraudionow.com/amplifier-tuning-quick-guide-to-tune-your-amp/

Pound
05-01-2019, 10:24 AM
https://www.caraudionow.com/amplifier-tuning-quick-guide-to-tune-your-amp/

Jason. read this article. it'll get you going in the right direction. That's assuming you actually want to improve the sound. You've been given quite a bit of good advice on this forum for getting this thing sounding like it should. There's enough customers of wetsounds to guarantee you that you're not dealing with a quality issue of the product. you just need to take a minute and the initiative to dial the amp in. Additionally, you bought the boat w/this setup, right? and just recently took delivery? have you tried to talk to your dealer for any help in tuning it?

lol, looks like my google is working just as well as "shockthis".

also, MLA knows his isht. you should listen to him.

jason1973
05-01-2019, 10:29 AM
I haven't talked to my dealer about it.. Since this system is new to moomba, i doubt they would know anymore than me. Maybe i am wrong. My dealer is also a few hours away and was hoping to tweek on my own. Wasn't sure about making what adjustments etc...

Keep in mind, when i say my system sounds bad, i mean its pretty bad. Like it wasn't setup at the factory at all. I am guessing there is much more it can do. Also, some people on this post said "don't screw with the amps" as it will void warranty. Another concern of mine.

Pound
05-01-2019, 10:45 AM
literally the 1st reply to your original post gave you some great info about a pdf from wetsounds w/step by step instructions for set up. I just re-read this whole thread and saw nowhere where anyone mentioned voiding a warranty by tuning the amp/s.
The only counter info in this thread is from MLA who is just saying to make sure you have the cross over freq's set properly at the head unit first before adjusting the amp.

MLA, do you have some basic guidance for where he should set the crossover freqs?

It's really not rocket science. Most agree that they are not tuned at all from the factory. Your dealer should have at least made an attempt to get this dialed in in their pre-delivery check/setup. but again, it's not as hard as you're perceiving it to be.

MLA
05-01-2019, 10:52 AM
i can see your posts, just very unfamiliar with wetsounds amps. Looking for ideas. I have never tuned an amp before.

Ok, good.

So we need to go back to the head unit and start there, before moving to the amps.

Does the sub volume level actually control the woofer? As noted, you may need to place your fingers on the woofer to feel the change. We first need to know if this is the case.

Also keep in mind. The woofer's level is tied to the zone-1 level, so if zone-1 is turned down, so is the woofer.

Next, you need to go back into the head's menu and see where the woofer's cross-over frequency is set at. I dont recall Fusion's terminology, but we want it off or flat. Basically we want a full range of music leaving the head unit to our woofer amp. A mis-adjusted cross-over will render the woofer ineffective.

Once these are worked out, then we can move on to the amp settings.

Pound
05-01-2019, 10:54 AM
https://assets.fusionentertainment.com/products/downloads/MS-RA205_Manual_Update.pdf?mtime=20170929155426

Read page 12. You may have a different model. but the MS-RA205 is what many come/came with.

jason1973
05-01-2019, 10:55 AM
thanks MLA. i am not by my boat now, but i will take a look. Appreciate the help. I am someone who has never tuned at the amp level in my life. i don't know about this stuff.

jason1973
05-01-2019, 11:22 AM
MLA

the woofer does vibrate more and less on the volume knob. So yes, volume does affect its vibration up and down.

MLA
05-01-2019, 11:28 AM
Good. This indicates there is a discrete RCA from head to amp woofer inputs and amp source is set correctly.

Also, when you do get to the boat, we will need to know the specific amp models in the boat.

Matt0520
05-01-2019, 12:27 PM
I’m in the same boat and appreciate everyone’s help.

The fact that dealers haven’t been trained on how to tune these during prep is a huge oversight. The sound system is one of the things I’ve found Axis to be much better at.

Once someone gets a good tune it should be similar or the same for other boats with the same system, no? Can anyone that has had success post their settings/pics of their amps?

jason1973
05-01-2019, 01:45 PM
I don't understand what cross over means either. and what it does.

larry_arizona
05-01-2019, 02:00 PM
Only because I don’t know, but how much is a professional tune on a boat sound system?

TXSurf4
05-01-2019, 02:02 PM
I don't understand what cross over means either. and what it does.

Jason check this video out. The part about the crossover starts at the 8:20 mark but there is good info for noobs like us in the entire video. Full disclosure I have no affiliation with the video, I am in the same boat as you as far as knowledge about tuning and all that. I just did a google search for how to tune amps for speakers and this came up. The link in the earlier post is super helpful for going through the process and watching this video just puts some god visuals to it. Given he uses equipment to measure the distortion versus using his ear but the concept is the same. Hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiOUd3NkOyQ

jason1973
05-01-2019, 02:22 PM
good vid.. explains cross over. My fear is doing something and ruining my stereo or speakers by not knowing what to do.

Pound
05-01-2019, 05:29 PM
You're going to have to get over that. This is child's play compared to dialing in your wake.

johnh577777
05-01-2019, 06:56 PM
I don’t know why you would compare the moomba to an X2, you aren’t paying for all the luxuries when you buy a moomba. I bought my Max with zero stereo upgrades and I’m having a shop installing the stereo I want. If I were to buy a Supra I would have different expectations.

jason1973
05-02-2019, 10:17 AM
Aren't the sound systems very similar between moomba and supra? And we are talking about wetsounds, who people say is probably the best. I am merely saying my 06 sounded better and tech has come a long way since 06.

larry_arizona
05-02-2019, 10:46 AM
No complaints with my JL Audio system in my Supra, I had some early issues but it was more to do with my iPhone settings.

It absolutely ROCKS

Matt0520
05-02-2019, 11:22 AM
As a point of reference here’s the factory settings on the HTX6 (sub runs off of it)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190502/cb9f8788f231d1fdb6941758bfb27d9f.jpg

MLA
05-02-2019, 02:47 PM
If we are going to point fingers, dont leave out Fusion who supplied the head unit and Skiers Choice who installed all the equipment. ;)

In all seriousness, id hold judgement until something is determined to be amiss.

wired1236
05-02-2019, 10:31 PM
good vid.. explains cross over. My fear is doing something and ruining my stereo or speakers by not knowing what to do.

Go to any stereo store and have them tune it. Well maybe not any but a reputable one. You say you have no idea what you are doing so let them do it and explain to you what they did. I have never seen anyone who knows nothing or very little about cross overs and amps be able to tune a system no matter what they read. You need to understand what you are doing and what levels and settings do what.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KnoxMojo
05-03-2019, 12:51 AM
Not trying to start a brand war, as most of the bigger names are great. But when I had all Exile in the previous boat, I made a call to the guys and they walked me though it step by step. After a little help, my system rocked. My point is, you may be able to call wetsounds tech support for help instead of guessing at it. Beat of luck. There is a lot of knowledge in here.

jason1973
05-06-2019, 08:42 AM
for some reason its not allowing me to attach a picture anymore. My amp is the same one as above.

MLA
05-06-2019, 11:07 AM
Whats the word on the woofer settings within the head unit?

Lpietraszkiewicz
05-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Tune each channel individually. Most of the tuning is going to come from the amp. You can also adjust the sub intensity with the head unit. Hold the volume dial in for like 5 seconds and it comes up. Also for more bass, run hz lower around 50. You just want bass, not vocals out of it. Don’t go too crazy with the gain, you don’t want to damage the speakers. I have a 2019 makai, after tuning with the rev 10s and sub, it makes your insides shake when pumping.

MLA
05-07-2019, 07:48 AM
Also for more bass, run hz lower around 50

This will not produce more bass, as in woofer output. Less then ideal cross-over is likely what he's fighting with right now.

jason1973
05-07-2019, 09:01 AM
any suggestions on the cross over setting? My boat is going in for a gel coat repair so i wont see it for a week.

Pound
05-07-2019, 12:24 PM
in my opinion, you may want to learn how to play w/this particular setting (some opinions may differ). Some sources, and some music plays/sounds different. The gist of this setting, as somewhat noted above, is that it sets the top or cap on what frequencies can be sent to the sub. and in a fully balanced system, all the components will complement the full system. So, for example, if you set the crossover frequency of the sub at 50 hz, and you have (not in your case) in boat and tower speakers that cannot efficiently or effectively cover the hole from 50 up to say 120-150 hz, there will be an apparent "hole" where the midbass should be. The Rev 10's however do a great job of reproducing mid bass (w/the 10" drivers) so not a terrible concern typically w/setting the cutoff frequency really low... again, unless your sub can't effectively produce the super low freq's. Although the tower speakers do play in the boat, they're designed to project behind the boat.

Tuning is all about balancing the system across the frequencies and levels for the entire system/zones and to maximize it's output for it's capabilities. WetSounds are very capable.

Matt0520
05-07-2019, 12:27 PM
Holding down volume knob and turning sub up that way made a huge difference for me. Appreciate whoever posted that tip.

MLA
05-07-2019, 05:47 PM
any suggestions on the cross over setting? My boat is going in for a gel coat repair so i wont see it for a week.

Sent that in a private massage last week. Just FYI, it pertains to the head unit, which needs to be addressed first.

jason1973
05-08-2019, 10:13 AM
Sent that in a private massage last week. Just FYI, it pertains to the head unit, which needs to be addressed first.

thanks.. i will check out the PM. BTW, my dealer said there has been some complaints about the new wetsounds system. Said it will require turning and i am not the only one saying it.

KG's Supra24
05-08-2019, 11:22 AM
You should tell the dealer to fix the tuning while it's in for gel coat repair.

MLA
05-08-2019, 12:18 PM
Well, how ever tunes it, needs to start with the Fusion head unit.