PDA

View Full Version : Shaft Seal Packing and Sealant

06-20-2003, 04:18 PM
I recently ran my 02 LSV into a stump at idle speed. I bent the shaft, bent the SS prop and bent the strut. I EXPECT to have the replacement parts soon.

Can anyone recommend a quality sealant to use on the bolts and surfaces during reassembly? Is non-harding pipe thread seal adaquate?

I also ordered new packing material for the shaft seal. Any tips on proper installation of the packing? Should I use grease or other lubricant?

Are there any other "beware of" issues ?

02LSVOutback
06-20-2003, 04:28 PM
Apparently I goofed up the original posting.

I recently ran my 02 LSV into a stump at idle speed and bent the prop, shaft and strut. I EXPECT to have the replacement parts soon.

Can anyone recommend a quality sealant for the bolts and componenet surfaces? Is non-harding pipe thread sealant adaquate?

Are there any tricks to replacing the packing material on the shaft seal? Should grease or some other lubricant be used?

Are there any other tricks that I should know to avoid problems with this repair?

Catdog1
06-20-2003, 10:57 PM
I've heard the shaft alignment is important, but don't quite know how to do it.

I've replaced the packing. Be sure to get the right dimension width of packing. Avoid all tempations to tap the packing into the nut using junk like steel allen wrenches or other makeshift metal tools... the prop shaft has a real low surface hardness and you don't want to nick it up, especially the part that spins against the packing. The packing is wax impregnated. The wax kind of melts out somewhat during run-in. I didn't use any lube.

Do you have the old strut off? The dealer told me that it is adhesive-bonded to the bottom of the boat and is real difficult to remove. 3M makes marine fitting caulks, but you need to see if adhesive is needed.

Please keep us posted on how you solve all this.

Best Option at this point: Cut-out a small "M" from cardboard, take a flashlight, and go to the backyard. Stand facing East Tennessee ( anywhere between Bristol and Knoxville is ok, you don't have to be exact ). Shine the light into the sky at a 45 Degree angle with the horizon and hold the M in front of the light. Brian Raymond will see the M and will probably post the answer.......

02LSVOutback
06-23-2003, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the reply.

The strut came off easily as it was under pressure from the bent shaft. I only recall sealant on the bolts and around the outer perimeter of the strut. I would think the alignment is a no brainer as I don't beleive there is any adjustment. You simply need straight parts. If I'm wrong I hope somebody will tell me so very soon.

When you replacaed the packing, do you wrap it on the shaft then slide the nut over the packing ?

Catdog1
06-23-2003, 07:42 PM
I used the shaft as a mold and worked the packing into the nut. I searched the net for information on the subject of marine shaft packing and found some helpful stuff.

Alignment, I'm told, is via motor mounts. Don't know how to judge the alignment. In my case, the boat is beginning its fifth season and I'm wondering if there has been any creep or movement of the structure that might be causing misalignment and, in turn, vibration, that could in-turn be improved with adjustments to the motor mounts.

In your case, the shock of the mishap probably just bent the parts and didnt move the motor... that makes sense.

Thanks very much for the info on the strut... Good luck with repairs.... I used 3 M Marine sealant 101...