PDA

View Full Version : AMP Power Kit

Gabbyg88
04-19-2019, 05:29 PM
I bought a new Fusion Marine AMP for Kicker KMT674 speakers. My question is do you recommend a marine AMP power kit or is a normal car audio AMP power kit ok?

Thanks
Mike

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MLA
04-19-2019, 05:56 PM
I suggest you go A-La-Carte. Figure what you need and the estimated lengths, then purchase. A typical car audio amp kit is going to likely come with 20ft of B+, 2Ft B-, 20 foots rca and a cheap fuse holder. The crimp on open toed battery ends are poor. Your Fusion dealer or the Fusion Tech support should be able to assist with proper cable gauge and circuit protection amperage.

Gabbyg88
04-19-2019, 06:23 PM
So, I was not looking to break the bank on upgrading my tower speakers. I got a good deal on like new Kicker KMT674 tower speakers but needed an AMP. I contacted Crutchfield and they gave me 3 options for AMP'S Wetsounds, JL and Fusion. I decided to buy the Fusion AMP from BoatID which was ~$90 cheaper than Crutchfield. Crutchfield recommended a 4 gauge / 100 amp power kit. The first speicalist recommended a $80 kit and the 2nd speicalist recommended a $160 marine power kit. I know the AMP I currently have is not a marine power kit. I don't want to over spend on something that is not neccessary.

MLA
04-19-2019, 08:04 PM
Thats why I suggest piecing it together with the proper components for YOUR install, rather then someones idea of a pre-package "kit". Odd are you will end up with too much of something and something else too short. Any dollar spent there is overspending.

BigOrange
04-19-2019, 11:14 PM
Most forum members were recommending knukonceptz online. That is the I went for install on mine 2 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MLA
04-20-2019, 07:09 PM
Just steer clear of their oversized gauge trash.

sandm
04-21-2019, 09:04 AM
Most forum members were recommending knukonceptz online. That is the I went for install on mine 2 years ago.

I've used Knukoncepts for the last 2 boats and 3 cars. decent value for the buck.

philwsailz
04-24-2019, 10:13 AM
So, I was not looking to break the bank on upgrading my tower speakers. I got a good deal on like new Kicker KMT674 tower speakers but needed an AMP. I contacted Crutchfield and they gave me 3 options for AMP'S Wetsounds, JL and Fusion. I decided to buy the Fusion AMP from BoatID which was ~$90 cheaper than Crutchfield. Crutchfield recommended a 4 gauge / 100 amp power kit. The first speicalist recommended a $80 kit and the 2nd speicalist recommended a $160 marine power kit. I know the AMP I currently have is not a marine power kit. I don't want to over spend on something that is not neccessary.

This is very interesting that Crutchfield would recommend an amp other than Kicker when you are powering Kicker speakers. The KXMA4002 is a perfect choice for powering the KMT674.

Other than that I agree with MLA that you are best served buying A La Carte. A car amp kit usually won't do it by itself as the ground wire is too short usually.

Phil
Kicker

trayson
04-24-2019, 12:04 PM
I would add that you should look for Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) wiring for the marine environment, rather than the Copper Clad Aluminum (CCA) that most of the value offerings are.

Gabbyg88
04-24-2019, 12:10 PM
I would add that you should look for Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) wiring for the marine environment, rather than the Copper Clad Aluminum (CCA) that most of the value offerings are.I just checked the Kicker AMP kit I bought on Amazon and it is OFC. Got lucky on that one.

trayson
04-24-2019, 12:30 PM
I just checked the Kicker AMP kit I bought on Amazon and it is OFC. Got lucky on that one.

Good! usually OFC is up to 2x the price of CCA. and it's just better all around to have OFC, especially in a marine environment.

Broke Pilot
04-24-2019, 08:53 PM
If you have any local car audio shops you can usually buy by the foot. Usually cheaper than ordering.