PDA

View Full Version : April 2019 picture thread?

Shoebox
04-12-2019, 11:41 AM
Damn, this place has been a ghost town. Almost halfway through the month and no April thread. Well, here's my contribution.

My Mondo's new winter home is almost ready - just in time for her to go into the slip on the lake. [emoji23]

I greatly underestimated the time it would take me to build this loft, but it's almost done, and is actually turning out quite a bit better than I had hoped. Shop is 23x47, loft is 19x16, floor height is at 11.5 ft. It's high enough to put a lift under. [emoji1303] https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190412/b3863f364b0623173b040c6e301cc127.jpg

RC_Hinojosa
04-12-2019, 11:49 AM
Damn, this place has been a ghost town. Almost halfway through the month and no April thread. Well, here's my contribution.

My Mondo's new winter home is almost ready - just in time for her to go into the slip on the lake. [emoji23]

I greatly underestimated the time it would take me to build this loft, but it's almost done, and is actually turning out quite a bit better than I had hoped. Shop is 23x47, loft is 19x16, floor height is at 11.5 ft. It's high enough to put a lift under. [emoji1303] https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190412/b3863f364b0623173b040c6e301cc127.jpgThat's badass!!

Do you rent that shop space or is it yours?

There is a new company here in Texas doing these, selling garages.

https://garagesoftexas.com/

I'd love to do one but for now it's first location in Houston area will be in the wrong spot for me but I'm sold one the idea of a huge man cave/toy holder. Having a lift to work on things would be awesome too!!

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk

padge
04-12-2019, 11:55 AM
There is an April thread I think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoebox
04-12-2019, 12:06 PM
That's badass!!

I'd love to do one but for now it's first location in Houston area will be in the wrong spot for me but I'm sold one the idea of a huge man cave/toy holder. Having a lift to work on things would be awesome too!!

Sent from my Note9 using TapatalkI bought it in January. It's the same as the one you linked, called Garage Town here. "Storage condos", you own it, pay annual HOA dues. Nice thing is that it's not right behind my house, so my wife can't fill it up with crap. [emoji23]

sandm
04-12-2019, 12:12 PM
There is an April thread I think?

correct...
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?33052-April-2019-Picture-Thread

Shoebox
04-12-2019, 12:55 PM
correct...
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?33052-April-2019-Picture-ThreadI guess I missed it. People were posting pics in the March thread in April. Oh well, disregard.

Edit: weird, my Tapatalk did not show me that thread at all.

KnoxMojo
04-12-2019, 01:22 PM
I guess I missed it. People were posting pics in the March thread in April. Oh well, disregard.

Edit: weird, my Tapatalk did not show me that thread at all.

There wasn't a post in the April thread yesterday, you may have your settings to only show the last day or 2, set it to a week and you'll see a lot more.

Shoebox
04-12-2019, 01:25 PM
There wasn't a post in the April thread yesterday, you may have your settings to only show the last day or 2, set it to a week and you'll see a lot more.No, I see all the older threads. I always just go to the timeline tab. Just not seeing that one. Weird. I'll have to dig into it.

RC_Hinojosa
04-12-2019, 01:26 PM
Shoebox, you got a sketch of your finished garage?

What all is going in it?

Obviously you need to pester your dealer for a big Moomba banner [emoji16]

Shoebox
04-12-2019, 01:36 PM
Shoebox, you got a sketch of your finished garage?

What all is going in it?

Obviously you need to pester your dealer for a big Moomba banner [emoji16]

Sent from my Note9 using TapatalkYeah I definitely need the banner. Unfortunately, I didn't buy my boat from them (bought used), so even though I have a good relationship with them I don't think he'll hook me up with one. [emoji22]

My truck camper will be on a dolly on the left side in front of the stairs, my 1950 Ford project will be under the loft, and the Mondo will be on the right.

rdlangston13
04-12-2019, 04:11 PM
That's badass!!

On their website it says they have one in Magnolia, or is that just plans to build one there?

RC_Hinojosa
04-12-2019, 04:14 PM
On their website it says they have one in Magnolia, or is that just plans to build one there?Same as the one in Katy off 1463, it's gonna break ground at some point and they are starting to sell units now.

I believe the Katy one will be built first however.

rdlangston13
04-12-2019, 04:28 PM
Same as the one in Katy off 1463, it's gonna break ground at some point and they are starting to sell units now.

I believe the Katy one will be built first however.

What does a unit go for?

RC_Hinojosa
04-12-2019, 04:36 PM
What does a unit go for?The cheapest one is $130K depending on size up to $220K. They all come wired and plumbed.

But it's yours, you own it, you can do whatever you want with it. Man cave lounge, TVs, beer fridge, vehicle lifts, English wheel, waterjet, 3D printer, your imagination and budget is the limit.

There are some pretty sick examples in the gallery for sure.

Shoebox
04-12-2019, 04:54 PM
The cheapest one is $130K depending on size up to $220K. They all come wired and plumbed.

But it's yours, you own it, you can do whatever you want with it. Man cave lounge, TVs, beer fridge, vehicle lifts, English wheel, waterjet, 3D printer, your imagination and budget is the limit.

There are some pretty sick examples in the gallery for sure.

Sent from my Note9 using TapatalkYikes. Mine was $93k, about 1100sf.

Can't drill into the walls (can only use holes currently there for attaching the paneling), so my loft is essentially free-standing. Can do almost anything in it except paint vehicles, because the fumes will spread through the whole building.

rdlangston13
04-12-2019, 05:25 PM
I think for that price I’d rather bump the cost of my house and have it on site. That seems crazy.

RC_Hinojosa
04-12-2019, 06:39 PM
Crazy is relative....seems like a whole lot of testosterone filled solitude to me.

The note is not that much more than most storage places but you're building equity.

Moot point for me, gotta keep a storage unit until my house is finished (Dec/Jan). Haven't had a chance yet to scope out new storage in the Cypress area yet.

Shoebox
04-12-2019, 08:52 PM
I think for that price I’d rather bump the cost of my house and have it on site. That seems crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt would have cost me about the same to build a 30x40 shop at my house. There are several advantages to having it off site:

The shop would have taken up a huge portion of my usable yard.

I refinanced my house to pay for it. If the worst happens, the bank can take my house, but I own the shop free and clear. Otherwise the bank would have claim to both.

Its not super convenient, but that's actually a plus, because everything that goes into it will have been deliberate. It won't become a catch-all like it would if it were in the backyard.

And if the REALLY worst happens and my wife gets sick of my shit and kicks me out, I have a place to go. [emoji23]

rdlangston13
04-13-2019, 06:33 AM
It would have cost me about the same to build a 30x40 shop at my house. There are several advantages to having it off site:

The shop would have taken up a huge portion of my usable yard.

I refinanced my house to pay for it. If the worst happens, the bank can take my house, but I own the shop free and clear. Otherwise the bank would have claim to both.

Its not super convenient, but that's actually a plus, because everything that goes into it will have been deliberate. It won't become a catch-all like it would if it were in the backyard.

And if the REALLY worst happens and my wife gets sick of my shit and kicks me out, I have a place to go. [emoji23]

Doing it that makes more sense, especially if you really like your house and don’t want to move somewhere with more land to build a shop. Do you have to pay insurance on it as well? Sorry for all the questions, I just find this very interesting. I saw a picture of one that a guy had made a living room and kitchen in. What are the maintenance fees like?

larry_arizona
04-13-2019, 07:40 AM
That is a nice storage option if you don’t have the land to build your own.

Granted I built my 30x48 pole barn 15 years ago, but finished with wiring, concrete floor and full storage loft upstairs was $15k.

I built it myself, but if I had a company assemble it it would have been $10k more.

Just $100k seems a little steep.

Shoebox
04-13-2019, 09:36 AM
That is a nice storage option if you don’t have the land to build your own.

Granted I built my 30x48 pole barn 15 years ago, but finished with wiring, concrete floor and full storage loft upstairs was $15k.

I built it myself, but if I had a company assemble it it would have been $10k more.

Just $100k seems a little steep.

It would have been stick built, not pole barn. The most basic pole barns that size are upward of $25k now, let alone ones with upgraded features. I'd have had probably $30k in site prep and flatwork, and I really don't have the time or ability to put up a 16' wall, framed building solo.

One other advantage is that I can rent it out if desired. That would be tough if it was in my backyard.

Shoebox
04-13-2019, 09:40 AM
Doing it that makes more sense, especially if you really like your house and don’t want to move somewhere with more land to build a shop. Do you have to pay insurance on it as well? Sorry for all the questions, I just find this very interesting. I saw a picture of one that a guy had made a living room and kitchen in. What are the maintenance fees like?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThe one drawback is there is no plumbing. But the facility shared restrooms are just 2 doors down from me, and I have a water spigot just outside my man door.

Annual dues are $500. That includes maintenance and snow removal. The facility provides insurance on the structures. I still need to check on contents insurance but most of the stuff in there has its own insurance.

larry_arizona
04-13-2019, 09:57 AM
It would have been stick built, not pole barn. The most basic pole barns that size are upward of $25k now, let alone ones with upgraded features. I'd have had probably $30k in site prep and flatwork, and I really don't have the time or ability to put up a 16' wall, framed building solo.

One other advantage is that I can rent it out if desired. That would be tough if it was in my backyard.

I understand, just trying to get a feel on what barns cost these days.

Is there an advantage to stick vs pole construction? I can’t think of one to justify 2-3x more in cost.

rdlangston13
04-13-2019, 10:19 AM
The one drawback is there is no plumbing. But the facility shared restrooms are just 2 doors down from me, and I have a water spigot just outside my man door.

Annual dues are $500. That includes maintenance and snow removal. The facility provides insurance on the structures. I still need to check on contents insurance but most of the stuff in there has its own insurance.

I feel like yours makes more sense than garages of TX. There is a sizable difference between 93k and 130k. However I do think the garages of TX come with plumbing for the units.

So on the weekends is just a bunch of guys and cars everyone? Garage doors up and people playing washers and corn hole drinking beer? That would be kind of neat if it was.

Shoebox
04-13-2019, 10:23 AM
Part of the reason was I was eventually going to put in an apartment space over half of it, so it needed to be stick-built to code.

Shoebox
04-13-2019, 10:25 AM
I feel like yours makes more sense than garages of TX. There is a sizable difference between 93k and 130k. However I do think the garages of TX come with plumbing for the units.

So on the weekends is just a bunch of guys and cars everyone? Garage doors up and people playing washers and corn hole drinking beer? That would be kind of neat if it was.I just bought it in January, and nobody was around for 2+ months. I doubt it though. One guy still owns a sizable amount of the units and rents them to various businesses as storage, though I have started seeing more and more of my neighbors, and a buddy may be buying a smaller one in my same building.

RC_Hinojosa
04-13-2019, 10:37 AM
So on the weekends is just a bunch of guys and cars everyone? Garage doors up and people playing washers and corn hole drinking beer? That would be kind of neat if it was.

This is what I imagine except the Katy garages are full of Lambos, Ferraris & McLarens....

A lil more craft, a lil less PBR [emoji12]

rdlangston13
04-13-2019, 10:46 AM
This is what I imagine except the Katy garages are full of Lambos, Ferraris & McLarens....

A lil more craft, a lil less PBR [emoji12]

This is really ridiculous to me lol. I guess there is a market for it but I just feel like if I was throwing down money on lambos, ferarris and mclarens that I could have a property big enough to keep my toys at home and never have to leave. You would think the market for this would be upper middle class for personal use and anyone really for business use, I wouldnt think the rich would care too much to store their cars off property. I could see one doing really well in Houston however in an area full of expensive high rise condos where you want to live in that area but do not have storage for your stuff. There is still plenty of space in Katy you would think. Guess I need to broaden my horizons. Kudos to the guys who came up wit it, seems like it is working out well for them.

RC_Hinojosa
04-13-2019, 11:09 AM
For the guys that track day their exotics, I could see this making a ton of sense. Having room for a tire rack and space to swap DOTs for track rubber.

You are probably right though....lot of guys from inside the inner loop that are short on space.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190413/e6158e08c9ed435caaf9e90ee31da81d.jpg

rdlangston13
04-13-2019, 12:29 PM
For the guys that track day their exotics, I could see this making a ton of sense. Having room for a tire rack and space to swap DOTs for track rubber.

You are probably right though....lot of guys from inside the inner loop that are short on space.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190413/e6158e08c9ed435caaf9e90ee31da81d.jpg

This is the one that I was talking about that had the full kitchen set up. I could live in there.

Shoebox
04-13-2019, 03:49 PM
Mine will have a full kitchen setup and a queen bed - in the camper that will live in there most of the time. [emoji1303]

larry_arizona
04-13-2019, 04:59 PM
Sounds like a bachelor pad. Where is the stripper pole??

RC_Hinojosa
04-13-2019, 05:33 PM
Sounds like a bachelor pad. Where is the stripper pole??

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThe pole hangs on the wall when not in use....slips over the pop-up ski pylon when needed [emoji16][emoji57]

TXSurf4
04-13-2019, 08:43 PM
Moot point for me, gotta keep a storage unit until my house is finished (Dec/Jan). Haven't had a chance yet to scope out new storage in the Cypress area yet.

Hit me up the place I have the boat at might have some openings.

Matt0520
04-14-2019, 05:10 PM
The good: about to leave for FL, taking some riding lessons in Ft Myers and Naples.

The bad: boat will go unused for 10 days [emoji30]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190414/8f39ef2b8a9a3f9b4277ea93cde8c7bc.jpg

rdlangston13
04-14-2019, 06:38 PM
The good: about to leave for FL, taking some riding lessons in Ft Myers and Naples.

The bad: boat will go unused for 10 days [emoji30]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190414/8f39ef2b8a9a3f9b4277ea93cde8c7bc.jpg

Pro tip, chalk the inside of the trailer tires so you can pick them both up at the same time.

larry_arizona
04-15-2019, 06:52 AM
Pro tip, chalk the inside of the trailer tires so you can pick them both up at the same time.

Doesn’t the trailer brakes lock in reverse when unpowered ?

Prospersigman
04-15-2019, 08:41 AM
[QUOTE=larry_arizona;339392]Doesn’t the trailer brakes lock in reverse when unpowered ?

This is what I thought...

rdlangston13
04-15-2019, 08:43 AM
Doesn’t the trailer brakes lock in reverse when unpowered ?

Yes, that is true.

Not sure what that has to do with putting chalk blocks on you’re trailer when it’s disconnected....

larry_arizona
04-15-2019, 09:10 AM
Yes, that is true.

Not sure what that has to do with putting chalk blocks on you’re trailer when it’s disconnected....

Correct me if I am wrong because I have never tried this but.......if the brakes are locked with the trailer disconnected, do you need wheel chocks?

Where I park in my barn is flat, so it’s a non issue for me.

rdlangston13
04-15-2019, 09:20 AM
The wheels are NOT locked with the trailer disconnected.

The wheels are free to roll forward and backward unless there is pressure applied to the tongue pushing back on the trailer. To prevent this from keeping you from being able to back up there is an electronic bypass that activates when you place your vehicle in reverse. The electric signal to the trailer reverse lights activates this solenoid bypass the brakes allowing you to back up without the breaks engaging. If you take away this electric signal the wheels will be free to roll forward or backward unless pressure it applied to the tongue.

larry_arizona
04-15-2019, 09:28 AM
Gotcha, thanks for clarifying

jason1973
04-15-2019, 10:29 AM
The wheels are NOT locked with the trailer disconnected.

The wheels are free to roll forward and backward unless there is pressure applied to the tongue pushing back on the trailer. To prevent this from keeping you from being able to back up there is an electronic bypass that activates when you place your vehicle in reverse. The electric signal to the trailer reverse lights activates this solenoid bypass the brakes allowing you to back up without the breaks engaging. If you take away this electric signal the wheels will be free to roll forward or backward unless pressure it applied to the tongue.

There is a lock out i am sure, is that correct? where you can place a pin so the brakes don't engage?

sandm
04-15-2019, 11:26 AM
rd is correct. I could move my old supra on a single axle around in the garage all day long and brakes are not locked up.

if you have a reverse lockout you don't need what jason is indicating above. if you don't have a reverse lockout then backing UP a slight grade requires the use of the lockout device or in absence you can use a nickel(like anyone has change in their pocket anymore) and place in the slot on the tongue and trailer will back up without the brakes locking.
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22908&stc=1&d=1338909757

rdlangston13
04-15-2019, 11:47 AM
There is a lock out i am sure, is that correct? where you can place a pin so the brakes don't engage?

Yes. There is a slot for a special tool to fit into on the trailer that prevents the tongue from compressing the master cylinder when reversing. This is for emergencies where the solenoid fails or the signal to the solenoid fails

Matt0520
04-15-2019, 04:15 PM

Duh! Thx

Hopefully a moot point soon. $80/mo indoor storage on gravel is opening up end of May. Woohoo

trayson
04-16-2019, 01:26 AM
Yes. There is a slot for a special tool to fit into on the trailer that prevents the tongue from compressing the master cylinder when reversing. This is for emergencies where the solenoid fails or the signal to the solenoid fails

or the rare occasion you DON'T want your surge brakes to engage. There's a steep ass hill near a launch on Lake Billy Chinook where I've locked out my trailer so the brakes wouldn't get smokin' hot minutes before I dunked the trailer rotors in the water at the launch... Yeah, it's hard on the truck brakes, but waiting forever for the trailer brakes to cool wasn't in the gameplan. So lockout it was.

rdlangston13
04-16-2019, 06:29 AM
I wonder if boatmate has a recommended length of time to wait between driving to the ramp and launching the boat.

sandm
04-16-2019, 10:43 AM
good question rd and since it hasn't come up wonder if there really is an answer.
I think most tow to the ramp and park for a period while loading up guests, coolers, etc so that might be all the time needed.
is it really any worse than here in vegas or in phoenix leaving your boat trailer parked for a day at the ramp with the sun shining on it, then you drive at a faster speed across the parking lot to go retrieve the boat and back in? sun beating on a 115deg day has to heat up the metal and driving in the heat won't cool it down much.

trayson
04-16-2019, 01:38 PM
good question rd and since it hasn't come up wonder if there really is an answer.
I think most tow to the ramp and park for a period while loading up guests, coolers, etc so that might be all the time needed.
is it really any worse than here in vegas or in phoenix leaving your boat trailer parked for a day at the ramp with the sun shining on it, then you drive at a faster speed across the parking lot to go retrieve the boat and back in? sun beating on a 115deg day has to heat up the metal and driving in the heat won't cool it down much.

Well, the only time I've locked it out is when it's a MAJOR hill going down to the launch (enough to use the Hill Descent Control on the F150). So the rotors would be HOT otherwise. I didn't wanna risk cracking them.