PDA

View Full Version : Real world colors

Surgical_ass
04-07-2019, 06:11 PM

Hello all, we are planning our boat order for the end of the year. We are kicking colors around now. I know that the colors on the configuration are alot different than real world colors. I'm wondering with the colors that we are narrowing down to if there are some color schemes that we should stay away from that dont translate well from the configurator. Ive noticed that there arent alot of orange accents on boats that ive seen. Is this because the real color looks bad or its just not a popular color? I am hesitant to have a black hull due to chipping and keeping clean. Would an orange hull have as much of an issue with chips showing up? My wife likes the gun metal flake and not much else. I'm open to gun metal, silver,and red flake. I configured a red flake with platinum accent as a wild card but the more I look at it the more I like it. How does the platinum look in real world? Is it a cream? Thanks for any input you have!

padge
04-07-2019, 08:47 PM
To me it’s dove grayish with a hint of very light tan. If that makes sense lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surgical_ass
04-07-2019, 09:08 PM

I'm guessing paired with the wrong colors it could look dirty?

Surgical_ass
04-07-2019, 09:20 PM

I like the all black too. What are the biggest draw backs from having your color scheme? Water spots and hull scratches?

padge
04-07-2019, 09:31 PM
I like the all black too. What are the biggest draw backs from having your color scheme? Water spots and hull scratches?

I would say hull scratches. They buff out easily, but I’m a painter so to me, that’s an easy fix. I always use boat bling on my boats no matter the color so being all black didn’t stray me. Platinum is ok, but I would prefer it to be more grey in my opinion

padge
04-07-2019, 09:36 PM
The last one you put up is my favorite out of your choicea

Surgical_ass
04-07-2019, 10:12 PM
I would say hull scratches. They buff out easily, but I’m a painter so to me, that’s an easy fix. I always use boat bling on my boats no matter the color so being all black didn’t stray me. Platinum is ok, but I would prefer it to be more grey in my opinion

How often do you need to buff scratches out of the hull? Are you picking up noticeable scratches every time you go out or is it a couple times a season? When you buff are you just using a car buffer and the boat bling? Thanks for your help!

Surgical_ass
04-07-2019, 10:13 PM

How often do you need to buff scratches out of the hull? Are you picking up noticeable scratches every time you go out or is it a couple times a season? When you buff are you just using a car buffer and the boat bling? Thanks for your help!

padge
04-07-2019, 10:16 PM

I use a rotary buffer. Just at the end of the year will I buff unless it’s a visible scratch, one that isn’t under the water line. Boat bling is just a quick detailer I use after we pull the boat out each trip. Use hot sauce on the gelcoat and use vinyl sauce on the interior. My boat was used so the scratches were from the previous owner. I am very meticulous so I would assume I prob won’t receive many scratches unless its something submerged.

padge
04-07-2019, 10:17 PM
An yes a rotary is one I would use on a car. The products to use with it will vary by preference. 3m makes great stuff in my opinion.

rdlangston13
04-08-2019, 08:04 AM
the last one is good, the one before it with the orange top deck im not a big fan of, from the front it doesnt flow as well IMO. We have a considerable amount of black on our boat and I don't feel like it shows scratches any more than the blue we had on our previous boat. Like padge, I wipe it down after every use with either boat bling or Hula.

jason1973
04-08-2019, 08:24 AM
I have no problem with black. My hull is black on my last 2 wake boats, and my bass boat. Doesn't matter what color you get, your always going to wipe it down most likely. Here is the gun metal so you can see what it looks like in real life. 28300

Surgical_ass
04-08-2019, 08:32 AM
I have no problem with black. My hull is black on my last 2 wake boats, and my bass boat. Doesn't matter what color you get, your always going to wipe it down most likely. Here is the gun metal so you can see what it looks like in real life. 28300

I like that color scheme. Your boat came up in a google search. We both really liked the orange accent too. It seems like there arent alot of orange accented boats that ive seen.

jason1973
04-08-2019, 08:36 AM
we wanted some colors that would kind of pop on the inside since the outside is just black and gun metal.

since moomba doesn't offer the "best" color schemes in the industry, we decided to keep the outside simple.

sandm
04-08-2019, 11:07 AM
if you go orange make sure it's not the main color, a long term boat or you are prepped to take a little longer/little less to sell it.
our '06 supra was orange/white. had a tough time selling it back in '12 and hands down all the feedback was color.
was definitely a tougher sell than had it been a more "mainstream" color. we got our end price but ONLY due to the dealer that took it on trade being a fairly new dealer and wanted the new boat sale. they ended up taking a hit selling it in the fall vs trade price.

Surgical_ass
04-08-2019, 01:07 PM
if you go orange make sure it's not the main color, a long term boat or you are prepped to take a little longer/little less to sell it.
our '06 supra was orange/white. had a tough time selling it back in '12 and hands down all the feedback was color.
was definitely a tougher sell than had it been a more "mainstream" color. we got our end price but ONLY due to the dealer that took it on trade being a fairly new dealer and wanted the new boat sale. they ended up taking a hit selling it in the fall vs trade price.

Thats great insight. I think we have ruled out orange as the main color. I would assume that being in the heart of Tennessee orange wouldn't be too difficult to sell but it's not a gamble I'm interested in taking. I'd like to check out the red flake too. Initially it was just a wild card play around color but the more I look the more I like.

Surgical_ass
04-08-2019, 01:08 PM
we wanted some colors that would kind of pop on the inside since the outside is just black and gun metal.

since moomba doesn't offer the "best" color schemes in the industry, we decided to keep the outside simple.

Does the gun metal "pop" well in the sun?

jason1973
04-08-2019, 01:13 PM
our lake is still solid ice. But i have heard it does. Here is a pic out it outside in the sun.. not a good pic but you get the idea. The dealer told me that gun metal is one of the best colors in the sun. 28302

Surgical_ass
04-08-2019, 01:31 PM
our lake is still solid ice. But i have heard it does. Here is a pic out it outside in the sun.. not a good pic but you get the idea. The dealer told me that gun metal is one of the best colors in the sun. 28302

That's perfect! When its not in the sun it looks really dark but man that lightens up nicely in the sun.

Prospersigman
04-08-2019, 03:41 PM
Does the gun metal "pop" well in the sun?

I would say it pops in the sun!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190408/5e0a06fbde3532c05aea1ee06ed9ad3c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190408/9389cdd2a492e202a016b06ff0622dc8.jpg

Surgical_ass
04-08-2019, 07:03 PM
I would say it pops in the sun!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190408/5e0a06fbde3532c05aea1ee06ed9ad3c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190408/9389cdd2a492e202a016b06ff0622dc8.jpg

That looks great! I really like the red accent. Hadn't thought of that combo. We will definatley consider the red accent now. Is the decking black?

Prospersigman
04-09-2019, 08:56 AM
Yes, black hull. Has the peanut butter, with black and a little red on the interior to tie it all together.

DFTR Josh
04-09-2019, 09:30 AM
Some gunmetal & orange, actually looks amazing in person.
2019 Supra SE550 Gunmetal & Orange (https://www.slcboats.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=6128784&p=1&make=supra&s=Year&d=D&fr=xAllInventory)
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/muvFWucNISc1rfptwizLR4U55Fl_Yf8uRnWtvsV_fbi4jkgOEK v3b1z19nqmQsoIayFx11Lx7xVmEfwymBZ-jfPg3x1h6edBBBpoBI0cRvNhpV-PfCPjPqevA35ktdNV_jH3ooLLAvYIGnarj9Rck4uaaRxb_pzfT h_TjCbaCZ_LdvOGX-Uih6ZW0Q3A3RlhrXGp8oJEi2TJhSgB8C1bx72-5hcXG2mhomh6uCw-75-KkX1h-v9dEF2iyxGhur_ByrxTfL8mNLLt30kQM13bLsXWNkq8uWGTwLc j0lXu-aCYYOBfggz1WCRJ03UbiwWdKvs8Sh1GmPXchhB6EBE2zUiqoql JigvTa6JKUcbgjmg6fY0hX9iFe1s4ktGBadHR5yWN7eO9iUrz6 1URtJFEJx1urgLW4IysaHPr50BKtLrHiOgbIRaMJ_ar9SrJglS W9DPdRUm2RzCAv7e-4ODXVdlLgrDvaHm_mpDjbrH68iFDFqDvWWV3YE324FFNSOzk_F pTc1Egx5hWbSnjIDBCv48gmn4E10nLEh9LxucqY_gsziZjDP1B CLs7QXMFOpGNqUnslFe_eIK_4GNZ12qznR1ktvqnh6pEBmVTRm 91A6z1LQOklt3mEeXdDt9izs3Q3SUUcuNAWOdUhqxfgJ5GWIO0 Gh_au-8=w1488-h708-no

sandm
04-09-2019, 10:53 AM
that gunmetal with a bright blue instead of orange would look killer....

and ya surgical, just because your in TN doesn't mean that color would sell. I lived in Boise with BSU EVERYWHERE and like mine that sat, another actual blue and orange boat took over 2 years for dealer to sell it. granted it was a cobalt so not comparing wake boats but they sold blue, red, white and other "primary" colors all year long and that poor blue/orange sat and sat.

larry_arizona
04-09-2019, 11:08 AM
Do people order boats with college colors on purpose?

jason1973
04-09-2019, 11:16 AM
personally i do think about what the next person may be looking for if i sell. I had a chance to get a new Malibu that was black and lime green. Looked great, but i thought the lime green may be just a fad and that in a few years it won't be so popular. I passed, even thou it looked amazing.

Surgical_ass
04-09-2019, 12:12 PM

I'm sure some do but we are by no means big enough fans of any team to do their color scheme. It's just a coincidence that I like the orange and live in TN. Id like to say that we will keep the boat for many many years but you never know so I am trying to be conscious of what someone else Might like. I'm also nervous about ordering a color that I like now but grow to hate....

padge
04-09-2019, 12:17 PM
I'm sure some do but we are by no means big enough fans of any team to do their color scheme. It's just a coincidence that I like the orange and live in TN. Id like to say that we will keep the boat for many many years but you never know so I am trying to be conscious of what someone else Might like. I'm also nervous about ordering a color that I like now but grow to hate....

Black, silver, white, charcoal never go out of style. They sell well too. 99% of people will always think classic colors look good

Prospersigman
04-09-2019, 02:32 PM
They don't call it resale red for no reason...I am not a red guy. My vehicles are black, I don't buy anything red, even clothes, but red looks good on boats in limited amounts.

padge
04-09-2019, 02:34 PM
They don't call it resale red for no reason...I am not a red guy. My vehicles are black, I don't buy anything red, even clothes, but red looks good on boats in limited amounts.

I agree. Red does look good. I like all colors when done right. Just saying the neutral colors are always in style

jason1973
04-09-2019, 02:38 PM
And if there is one color that seems to fade the fastest in the sun its red. It turns pink. I like red on boats (like the supra pictured here- Amazing), but i swear every boat i have had with any red on it has turned chalky pink. Even after trying to take care of it with wax 6 times per season.

BigOrange
04-09-2019, 02:38 PM
Actually had this discussion (concerning orange) in another thread with Sand-m and others. It just takes one person to like and buy the boat. Would I prefer a nice orange and silver or gun metal flake boat because I'm a Vols fan -- you bet. Do I have one? NO - because I buy used and I go for a boat that I wanted and was attractive to me. I personally wouldn't buy a predominately red boat. So, I think if you aren't in the trade every 2 years or so crowd, go with what you want the most if you building custom.

MJHSupra
04-09-2019, 10:02 PM

I think there is a little of that going on. I’ve seen more orange boats living here in TN than anywhere else. All brands.

MJHSupra
04-09-2019, 10:09 PM
Some gunmetal & orange, actually looks amazing in person.[/IMG]

Killer looking SE with orange. Not sure I’ve seen a good SL.

Surgical_ass
04-10-2019, 08:30 AM
Are there any other colors that have a tendency to fade like the red?

padge
04-10-2019, 08:32 AM
Truth is, all fade if not taken care of properly. Just pick a color you will be happy with.

sandm
04-10-2019, 10:34 AM
hey prosp, fify...

They don't call it RUN-AWAY-RED for no reason...I am not a red guy. My vehicles are black, I don't buy anything red, even clothes, but if you see red on boats in limited amounts, run away.

Prospersigman
04-10-2019, 11:24 AM
GFY!!!!!!!:o