PDA

View Full Version : LSV Towing Needs

shulaj
01-17-2007, 10:53 AM
I am considering a new vehicle...however how much do I need for trailering an 07 LSV. The owners manual section states 3000-6500...as this is a general book.

Wolf-
01-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Ed is right.
Bigger is better.

Manufacturers like to fudge the towing capacity in their tech docs.
While the frame may actually be able to support the towing of a particular weight, the engine and tranny take one heck of a beating during towing.

IMHO:

-Nothing less than an 8 banger
-Tranny cooler, while optional, a huge consideration
-Change your engine oil every 1500 miles when in towing season instead of 3000
-Have the tranny oil looked at by a qualified tech not a quick oil change place for early signs of burning/failure.

I pull my Outback DD with an 8 cyl mercury mountaineer. I had to add a Class 3/4 hitch to it to replace the little 1 incher that came on it. If I bought a bigger boat, I'd buy a bigger tow vehicle. As the weight and length of the trailer increases, the handling changes. I'm on a short wheel base. Longest tow has been to Lake Dora in some nasty weather. Managed fine and without stress.

But, as Ed said, NEVER underbuy a tow vehicle.

Yellowmobius
01-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Brakes should also be a thought, When I first bought my 2001 Mobius I pulled with a 1996 S-10 balzer. The boat, even with trailer brakes pushed a lot. I now pull the 2004 LSV with a 2004 1/2 ton pickup.

blueLSV
01-17-2007, 01:55 PM
i went with a chevy tahoe when i got my 06 LSV. i upgraded to the bigger 5.3 V8 engine and i'm very glad i did...handles great.

JoeTechie
01-17-2007, 02:07 PM
This was just discussed recently... A Great thread on this subject here:
https://forum.moomba.com/viewtopic.php?t=3573

Enjoy,

-Joe

shulaj
01-17-2007, 03:52 PM
I am considering this. Tell me what you think.

http://www.gmc.com/acadia/acadia/index.jsp

It has a V-6

qb12
01-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Answer, NO...

I use to have a 04 Toyota Sequoia when I had my outback and it did fine towing. 6K tow rating.

I bought a 07 Tahoe to tow my supra. It tows much better.

One question, how far are you going to be towing. that can really make a big difference on which truck you get.

and as yellowmobius said, "brakes are very important"

tlrowe
01-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Ditto to qb12. I had an '01 Yukon and when pulling my 22' Kamberra, you couldn't hardly even tell it was back there. I've now got an '05 Sequoia and it does a good job, but not nearly as well as the Yukon.

shulaj
01-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Thx

shulaj
01-17-2007, 09:13 PM
How much does 07 LSV BOAT weight.... and TRAILER weight? I add them together to get totoal towing weight. Again I am considering the 2007 GMC Acadia.

qb12
01-17-2007, 10:22 PM
shulaj,

depending on which trailer you go with the weight varies. but with the single axle trailer, boat, fuel and boards, ropes, jackets and of course last but not least a ice chest full of beer you are at if not over 4500 lbs.

db

shulaj
01-18-2007, 09:10 AM
Thank you. Well the Acadia says it will tow 4500 pounds!

JoeTechie
01-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Shaluj,

How much does 07 LSV BOAT weight.... and TRAILER weight?

Again - It is all on the site - you just have to look !!!
Here is the exact info:
http://www.moomba.com/compare/
(click on your boat)

Well the Acadia says it will tow 4500 pounds!

You seem to not be hearing everyone... 4500 is the TOTAL , MAX, tippy tops allowable towable weight of that vehicle. Everyone is telling you you MUST get more than the minimum vehicle .. most say by a large factor! People here have had 5000 and 5500lb tow rated vehicles pulling smaller boats and all have said they MUCH prefer the larger tow capacity. Look at the link I posted in the other thread (posted on page one of this thread)- it has TONS of vehicles and their tow ratings.

You WILL be unhappy with a low tow rating and a V6 for pulling any boat of this size.

-Joe

qb12
01-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Shaluj,

How much does 07 LSV BOAT weight.... and TRAILER weight?

Again - It is all on the site - you just have to look !!!
Here is the exact info:
http://www.moomba.com/compare/
(click on your boat)

Well the Acadia says it will tow 4500 pounds!

You seem to not be hearing everyone... 4500 is the TOTAL , MAX, tippy tops allowable towable weight of that vehicle. Everyone is telling you you MUST get more than the minimum vehicle .. most say by a large factor! People here have had 5000 and 5500lb tow rated vehicles pulling smaller boats and all have said they MUCH prefer the larger tow capacity. Look at the link I posted in the other thread (posted on page one of this thread)- it has TONS of vehicles and their tow ratings.

You WILL be unhappy with a low tow rating and a V6 for pulling any boat of this size.

-Joe

Well put Joe :D

i went and looked under the 06 owners manual and it says that just the boat and trailer (single axle) weigh 4100 lbs alone by themself.

as i stated earlier after you include the gas, gear and of course beer you are over that amount that the vehicle you are looking at can handle.

but get what you want :?

Double D
01-18-2007, 07:07 PM
I think you would be dissapointed in the Acadia pulling a Moomba around. You are going to be much better off going to a full sized SUV with a higher tow rating.

That V6 is going to be very doggy with that size of a boat, the gas mileage is going to be terrible, and the wear and tear on the motor & tranny is going to be hard core for that vehicle.

Just my $.02

Ian Brantford
01-18-2007, 08:41 PM
According to this blog http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2006/07/2007_gmc_acadia.html , the Acadia has a unibody, and not a frame like a truck-based SUV would have. This is not an appropriate vehicle for towing a heavy boat very far.

Good replies so far! Here is another relevant thread at WakeWorld, discussing Explorer and 4Runner, spilling onto a few other models too: http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/402271.html?1168611507

AZHeet
01-20-2007, 03:27 PM
I've towed my '06 LSV with a Sequioa for the last year and I just got a Dodge Durango with at 5.7L. The Sequioa did OK like everyone says, but I'm excited to take out the boat with the Durango. It feels much more torqey than the Sequioa.

Zihuatanejo
01-20-2007, 10:59 PM
I pull my 2005 outback with a 2005 chev 1500. The motor is plenty big to pull the boat but the tranny does not have the trany cooler. I can already feel the tranny slipping a little bit. The truck will not pull the boat at a constant speed. As soon as I stop excelerating the tranny shifts to a higher gear and this gear doesnt have the power to pull the boat and it down shifts again. this continues for the entire trip and is not good for the trannsmision. I would for sure get the tranny cooler on my next vehicle. Four wheel drive is also very handy for those less than perfect boat launches.

potenza
01-25-2007, 06:51 PM
I have a 06 LSV with the tandem trailer. I tow it with a 6cyl toyota highlander. Pulls it fine. seems to pull the best on the highway around 120/kph. that said my fuel economy drops by at least 50%.

IF you are going to be towing the boat more than a couple times a year over long distances you may want to consider a larger vehicle. For trips under 2 hours a couple times of year I have no problems.

The toyota is rated at 3500 lbs.