PDA

View Full Version : Dock Setup

Byezb
03-03-2019, 05:03 PM
Looking for a little advice on a dock set up. Looking to invest into a dock in Northern Michigan. It will be in a bay, on a 400 acre inland lake and will need to be pulled out at the end of each season. There is no sea wall I’m going over, and at about 20’ out from shore the water depth is 3’ and solid ground, but at 40’ out the water depth is 5’ and mostly muck (about 3’ of muck under 5’ of water) I’d like to go out to about 30-40’ in length. Just not sure if I should go with a stationary, floating or if I could do a roll in with some type of muck matt. Not looking for any design to it, just a straight length as there will be a boat on each side.

I’m really looking for durability, convenience and low maintenance in that order. I need something that will last but that I can easily get in and out each season

Any feedback on type of dock as well as material for decking is appreciated. Thanks!

Jeepers
03-03-2019, 05:15 PM
Buy an AquaSweep from Scott’s Aerator. I purchased one when we bought our lake place. I move it around the dock and have been able to eliminate 3-4’ of muck. I now have much deeper swimming area with sandy bottom. It’s worth the price. The fish love it.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190303/05e3e504f1673224d9f7bf5b4dc0d1d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mondo Ken
03-04-2019, 08:12 AM
I have floating docks at my cottage in Ontario that I am able to detach from the shore dock and leave in the lake every winter. I use a clothesline to secure them to shore and the concrete weights with chains hold them in the lake from moving around. I don't have the same length of dock as you do, but the same principle should work with multiple docks. We have had success with no damage to the docks since we put them in.

I have a vertical lift for my boat, but I don't recommend this for you because of your unstable lake bottom. At one point I looking into pneumatic boat lifts:

https://www.boatlift.com/boat-lifts/

This might be an option for you.

MJHSupra
03-04-2019, 09:37 AM
Buy an AquaSweep from Scott’s Aerator. I purchased one when we bought our lake place. I move it around the dock and have been able to eliminate 3-4’ of muck. I now have much deeper swimming area with sandy bottom. It’s worth the price. The fish love it.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190303/05e3e504f1673224d9f7bf5b4dc0d1d2.jpg

That is pretty cool. Never seen one.

How long did that take to work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeepers
03-04-2019, 01:12 PM
Couple hours and clears a path about 30-50ft long. The first year I’d run it when ever we were out and manually rotate it. The second year I added the oscillator and put it on a timer to come on 3 hours a day.

It helps to get in the water, kick up the muck with your feet and let the current created by the AquaSweep carry it away. No more weeds, muck... once you get the muck out it’s just maintenance.

I’m going to have a friend build me a freestanding underwater mount that I can move around the swim area and get further out.

It was worth every penny!

jmvotto
03-04-2019, 04:40 PM
3ft of muck is a lot