PDA

View Full Version : Info on FAE or OEM surf pipe for '17 Helix

LAwake
03-02-2019, 03:58 PM
I tried going to FAE website to get info for a pipe for a Helix and their website hasn't been updated in 4 years. When you try to put in boat info, it only goes to 2015????
Who all on here is a dealer for FAE and can give me some info on a pipe for a Helix?
Also has anyone done an install using the OEM option and what is the difference between an aftermarket FAE and the OEM? I know the OEM is considerably more expensive but is the install easier?

corvette8189
03-02-2019, 04:59 PM
I can help you out with FAE
Here is my write up
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?31267-FAE-Install-Pics

Pricing on all single exhaust moomba/supra-
FAE $500
Options-
Blended welds $40
Internal Flapper $40
Baffle $20
Install Kit $60 (debond, shims, sealant)

Send me a message for purchase

jph3
03-02-2019, 07:03 PM
I’m looking at getting one for my Helix as well... will hit you up. What’s delivery time right now? I am tempted to just get the pipe, but which add-ons are must have?

Dtbradly
03-04-2019, 10:36 AM
I'm pretty sure OEM is the exact same thing just about 60% more. My dealer did the install and recommended FAE and said no warranty issues. I ordered basically every option on the FAE. its nice to have. calms down the exhaust noise but you will notice it gets replaced a good bit by engine noise to a certain extent. It kind of made me think something was wrong because it was a noise i wasn't used to hearing as much.

parrothd
03-04-2019, 11:16 AM
I'm pretty sure OEM is the exact same thing just about 60% more. My dealer did the install and recommended FAE and said no warranty issues. I ordered basically every option on the FAE. its nice to have. calms down the exhaust noise but you will notice it gets replaced a good bit by engine noise to a certain extent. It kind of made me think something was wrong because it was a noise i wasn't used to hearing as much.

On previous model the noise reduction was huge outise and inside the boat, newer models it only seems to help outside. Others have said to install some dynomat in the engine conpartment. That's my plan as even with fae my craz is still freaking loud.

LAwake
03-04-2019, 12:20 PM
I am tempted to just get the pipe, but which add-ons are must have?

I'm wondering about the add-ons as well.

LAwake
03-04-2019, 12:21 PM
Here is my write up

FAE $500
Options-
Blended welds $40
Internal Flapper $40
Baffle $20

Thanks.......................

corvette8189
03-04-2019, 02:49 PM
I’m looking at getting one for my Helix as well... will hit you up. What’s delivery time right now? I am tempted to just get the pipe, but which add-ons are must have?

They are built to order and are currently running 2-3 weeks. This will grow the closer summer gets. Add-ons explained below.

Blended Welds are polished to blend the weld for a smooth finish. Pic below
Internal Flapper is recommended as it will keep water from entering the exhaust when not running.
Baffle is a pipe with no restriction. It is a pita to install. Pic below.
Install kit you'll need anyways so might as well get it.
https://i.imgur.com/r2VrZqR.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/6EG32j7.jpg

jason1973
03-04-2019, 03:07 PM
wondering about the dynomat myself. Where is the best place to put it on a mondo/craz?

Dtbradly
03-04-2019, 03:13 PM
the v drive access panel, the hump under the rear seat. 4 screws to take it off

wondering about the dynomat myself. Where is the best place to put it on a mondo/craz?

Dtbradly
03-04-2019, 03:14 PM
I think they all have value. The blended wells is way more appealing aesthetically. And the other pieces just open up the exhaust fully.

jph3
03-04-2019, 03:32 PM
Maybe I’m reading it wrong... here are my thoughts, tell me I’m crazy.

- welds. Not concerned with someone looking at my exhaust out of the water.
- flapper. If it was required so that water did not get back into the headers, etc, then every system would come with it. Not concerned with water getting back up into the place it was supposed to come out of to begin with.
- baffle. I’m confused on the comment above... maybe I have it backwards, but logically the cost would go up to have the baffles added? Not looking to add more restriction to the airflow.
- install kit. Quite frankly surprised this isn’t included in the price?

Again maybe I’m way off here, but I might go dynamat first and then rethink this purchase.

corvette8189
03-04-2019, 05:18 PM
Maybe I’m reading it wrong... here are my thoughts, tell me I’m crazy.

- welds. Not concerned with someone looking at my exhaust out of the water.
- flapper. If it was required so that water did not get back into the headers, etc, then every system would come with it. Not concerned with water getting back up into the place it was supposed to come out of to begin with.
- baffle. I’m confused on the comment above... maybe I have it backwards, but logically the cost would go up to have the baffles added? Not looking to add more restriction to the airflow.
- install kit. Quite frankly surprised this isn’t included in the price?

Again maybe I’m way off here, but I might go dynamat first and then rethink this purchase.

You can read more about the flapper here- http://www.freshairexhaust.com/about-us/fae-options/#flappers
You have the baffle backwards. You are removing the pipe with the restriction and installing the pipe with no restriction. Some people are able to beat the pieces off as they are only tack welded on.

LAwake
03-04-2019, 06:06 PM
Blended Welds are polished to blend the weld for a smooth finish. Pic below
Internal Flapper is recommended as it will keep water from entering the exhaust when not running.
Baffle is a pipe with no restriction. It is a pita to install. Pic below.
Install kit you'll need anyways so might as well get it.

Great information and the add-ons make more sense now. I have a quick question as it relates to how the FAE attaches on the Helix. Is there a secondary attachment like to the swim platform bracket or drain plug or has the design improved where its just a direct bolt on and no other additional attachment points?

jph3
03-04-2019, 06:10 PM
You can read more about the flapper here- http://www.freshairexhaust.com/about-us/fae-options/#flappers
You have the baffle backwards. You are removing the pipe with the restriction and installing the pipe with no restriction. Some people are able to beat the pieces off as they are only tack welded on.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Boonejeepin
03-04-2019, 07:38 PM
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

My design on the Max should be the same. The FAE attaches with just the bolts at the flange, no other brackets. DO through bolt the FAE flange during your install. I personally do not trust just screws for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corvette8189
03-05-2019, 10:22 AM
Great information and the add-ons make more sense now. I have a quick question as it relates to how the FAE attaches on the Helix. Is there a secondary attachment like to the swim platform bracket or drain plug or has the design improved where its just a direct bolt on and no other additional attachment points?

No secondary connection. You will have to drill 3 holes and use bolts and nuts to connect the flange.

LAwake
03-05-2019, 11:51 AM
No secondary connection. You will have to drill 3 holes and use bolts and nuts to connect the flange.

Thanks Corvette

Dtbradly
03-06-2019, 05:50 PM
The little weird arm that went around the drain plug was an older design

LAwake
03-06-2019, 10:43 PM
The little weird arm that went around the drain plug was an older design

That's good to know because I wasn't crazy about that at all.

loc82
03-07-2019, 02:48 PM
What's the estimated cost with install? I got a quote from my dealer and it seemed really high.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boonejeepin
03-07-2019, 03:07 PM
What's the estimated cost with install? I got a quote from my dealer and it seemed really high.

A reasonable time for install would be 2-2.5 hrs. Labor rates vary but that amount of time would be easy for an experienced boat tech to beat.

loc82
03-07-2019, 06:49 PM
Like 2k for the FAE and install?

LAwake
03-07-2019, 06:55 PM
So, I'm still wondering what the difference is in the HELIX OEM surf pipe and the aftermarket FAE? I've been told the OEM is easier to install and doesn't require drilling into the boat but I haven't been able to confirm that.

LAwake
03-07-2019, 06:55 PM
Like 2k for the FAE and install?

That sounds ridiculously too high.

Boonejeepin
03-07-2019, 07:13 PM
So, I'm still wondering what the difference is in the HELIX OEM surf pipe and the aftermarket FAE? I've been told the OEM is easier to install and doesn't require drilling into the boat but I haven't been able to confirm that.

They are both bent pipes and a flange. I think they are both good quality. I believe they would both do the same thing. The install for both should be relatively easy.

I don’t know this but it could be possible that the OEM version uses the same hole pattern as the OEM flap. Just thinking outloud.

I personally would insist on holes being drilled so a
bolt could be used and not a screw.

Boonejeepin
03-07-2019, 07:15 PM
That sounds ridiculously too high.

The FAE installed would be reasonable in my mind at the $650-$800 range.

LAwake
03-07-2019, 07:34 PM
Here is my write up

FAE $500
Options-
Blended welds $40
Internal Flapper $40
Baffle $20

Corvette, Are these prices the discounted rates?

corvette8189
03-08-2019, 10:36 AM
Corvette, Are these prices the discounted rates?

No they are the retail prices.

LAwake
03-08-2019, 10:45 AM
No they are the retail prices.

I messaged you.

Dtbradly
03-08-2019, 01:03 PM
i paid a hair under $1000 for all the bells and whistles plus install by the dealer.

corvette8189
03-08-2019, 01:35 PM
Install is not very difficult. If you can change your oil you can change your exhaust pipe.
I'm available for any tech questions as well.

LAwake
03-08-2019, 01:42 PM
Install is not very difficult. If you can change your oil you can change your exhaust pipe.

Good to know because I may be having to call ya. I've changed all my fluids so.........we'll see.

LAwake
03-08-2019, 01:44 PM
i paid a hair under $1000 for all the bells and whistles plus install by the dealer.

You have any pics of the finished install, by chance? It's good to find someone else that's already had it done to their Helix.

Boonejeepin
03-08-2019, 04:30 PM

Just be 100% sure that you have the FAE oriented correctly before you drill. It’s not difficult but you will need to step back from the boat to visually confirm the pipe alignment.

Boonejeepin
03-08-2019, 04:33 PM
Just be 100% sure that you have the FAE oriented correctly before you drill. It’s not difficult but you will need to step back from the boat to visually confirm the pipe alignment.

On a Max but the setup is the same.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190308/1ac6a3d134221633d249e12057d41c59.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190308/7e2f4a5edc720aa5bca5a5f1b49560ec.jpg

I ended up taping things off and painting the flange black to better match the hull.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190308/49f14e0cfc7005690339960840b5dc83.jpg

Dtbradly
03-08-2019, 04:55 PM
yup my helix pipe looks exactly the same

LAwake
03-08-2019, 06:21 PM
On a Max but the setup is the same.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190308/1ac6a3d134221633d249e12057d41c59.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190308/7e2f4a5edc720aa5bca5a5f1b49560ec.jpg

I ended up taping things off and painting the flange black to better match the hull.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190308/49f14e0cfc7005690339960840b5dc83.jpg

Looks sharp. No issues with clearance of the center smartplate? It looks like it's a pretty tight fit in the pics.

Boonejeepin
03-08-2019, 10:16 PM
Looks sharp. No issues with clearance of the center smartplate? It looks like it's a pretty tight fit in the pics.

Make sure you have the FAE clocked right and you will have at least 3/4” gap. Make sure to double and triple check.