PDA

View Full Version : Pre-season Fitness

Pound
02-25-2019, 03:28 PM
A buddy and I did a challenge back in January to do 1,000 pull ups, 2,000 push ups, and 3,000 air squats in one month... in addition to your normal workouts. It was very doable if you break it up into daily work, but if you slack off just one day it piles up very quickly. March would be a good month to do this. Beware tho, air squats will kick your azz if you're not used to them! I don't do a lot of core specific stuff and this forced me to.

Who's got a solid pre-season routine underway? What are your goals?

larry_arizona
02-25-2019, 09:12 PM
Goals for 47 year old ass. Getting old sucks
Drop 20#
Get bench/squat/deadlift back over 400# each.
Standing overhead press 275#
Core strength and flexibility to keep my surgically fixed back healthy.

Strength: Wendler 5/3/1 method for strength 3x a week
Cardio: shit tons of Burpees, HIIT Spinning,Kettlebell training 4x a week
Yoga 1x a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdlangston13
02-26-2019, 09:01 AM
Walk up and down a sh*t load of stairs every day. Hooray for working on a drill ship.

csm
02-26-2019, 09:22 AM
Drop 20#

Yoga 1x a week

About a year ago I did Wendler 5/3/1, along with counting macros and got in the best shape of my life at 41 years old with very little cardio.

Now I’m not going to mention what my lifts were because it’s embarrassing compared to yours, but definitely recommend that program if you like lifting heavy things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

larry_arizona
02-26-2019, 09:49 AM
I have done a lot of strength based programs and once I got over 35, far and away wendler 5/3/1 I have made most gains with and it is designed to keep your joints healthy and prevent over training.

I will likely do it forever, you can easily modify it to use it as a maintenance program too.

There is no lift shaming here. Only encouragement and support.

Pound
02-26-2019, 12:35 PM
I'm gonna have to look into this wendler thing. I'm one year older than you Larry and am always struggling w/the psychology of do i really need to lift heavy? is it worth the potential injury? versus showing some of them young bucks up in the gym. lol. 400# bench at ANY age is impressive. I can DL it, but my best on bench is 295 (315 is my nemesis). got 3 clean reps of 275 the other day.
Right now I'm focused on shedding a few BF% to get back under 15% for shirtless season, ;-)

larry_arizona
02-26-2019, 12:58 PM
I'm gonna have to look into this wendler thing. I'm one year older than you Larry and am always struggling w/the psychology of do i really need to lift heavy? is it worth the potential injury? versus showing some of them young bucks up in the gym. lol. 400# bench at ANY age is impressive. I can DL it, but my best on bench is 295 (315 is my nemesis). got 3 clean reps of 275 the other day.
Right now I'm focused on shedding a few BF% to get back under 15% for shirtless season, ;-)

Lifting heavy at lower reps really works for building lean mass and strength, I have never seen it fail at working. Men or women.

Not a pro, never touched gear, just worked hard.

Not a fan of low weight high reps unless it’s cardio, ie kettlebell is low weight high rep work that is mostly cardio.

At the same time, you need to know your limits. Heavy squats and deads ruptured my L5S1 disc. So I try to stay much lighter in squats and deads as I just don’t want surgery again.

Train smarter not harder over 35. Wendler 5/3/1 is super friendly and is not super heavy lifting, and you don’t need a spotter. The formula simply works, with slow but steady gains, a couple cycles (cycle is a month)you can expect 25-35# max gains.

I don’t even go to the gym anymore, I lift alone at home. Can’t stand the GYM and the idiots there.

300# is a great bench especially in you are in your later 40’s. In fact, it’s outstanding. 275 for 3 reps should net you a clean 300# bench.

I found 400# is my limit before my shoulder joints started telling me to F off. Done more weight and honestly it’s just a personal challenge, I found my limits then backed down. I am just a regular joe.

rdlangston13
02-26-2019, 01:04 PM

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength you can start with this. It's what I found on it.

larry_arizona
02-26-2019, 01:14 PM
T nation is a great resource, there is also a 5/3/1 app that makes it even easier

Matt0520
02-28-2019, 01:20 PM
Diet matters most. You can't outwork bad food.

And lots of stretching, mobility work.

But as far as workouts, StrongLifts 5x5! Easy, simple workouts in my basement (have a Rogue rack and some weights) only 3x a week. It's amazing how much stronger I am in every other lift after squatting 3x a week.

Other than that, just swim or walk for on-going cardio. And a lot of moving around, aka NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) to keep the metabolism going. I'm 32 and learned in the last few years that 'more' doesn't equal 'better' for me. Lots of interesting studies of overexercising and its affect on excess cortisol, which in turn can lead to more fat retention since your body is in a perpetual stress state.

It's tough with a dead thyroid but the above is working pretty well for me the past few years, 6'1 185lbs now. Down from 215. Would love to be 170s by summer.

dakota4ce
02-28-2019, 02:36 PM
Diet matters most. You can't outwork bad food.

And lots of stretching, mobility work.

But as far as workouts, StrongLifts 5x5! Easy, simple workouts in my basement (have a Rogue rack and some weights) only 3x a week. It's amazing how much stronger I am in every other lift after squatting 3x a week.

Other than that, just swim or walk for on-going cardio. And a lot of moving around, aka NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) to keep the metabolism going. I'm 32 and learned in the last few years that 'more' doesn't equal 'better' for me. Lots of interesting studies of overexercising and its affect on excess cortisol, which in turn can lead to more fat retention since your body is in a perpetual stress state.

It's tough with a dead thyroid but the above is working pretty well for me the past few years, 6'1 185lbs now. Down from 215. Would love to be 170s by summer.

Even more simplified.....count your overall caloric intake. Stick to a plan, reduce it. That will force you to make better food decisions overall because crap food will -typically- be high in calories.

There are exceptions (example: good fats are high) so you need to pay attention to how you manage it. But it’s simplicity is powerful. Stop eating so damn much! Then, of what you do eat, make better choices.

You can get damn full on a hunk of chicken and a pile of broccoli.

rdlangston13
02-28-2019, 02:46 PM

But who wants to when you can have steak fajitas with chips and queso and a large margarita?

dakota4ce
02-28-2019, 02:51 PM
But who wants to when you can have steak fajitas with chips and queso and a large margarita?

You can still have that! Just not for lunch and dinner!

rdlangston13
02-28-2019, 02:54 PM
You can still have that! Just not for lunch and dinner!

So yesterday at work was asian food day. I don't line asian food, unless its hibachi and even then its more just steak and grilled shrimp. At lunch I had some sweet/sour chicken but I was still so hungry I score a cinnamon roll, cup cake, and a rice crispy treat. I am awful, no self control when it comes to eating. This morning I went in the galley with nothing but a bacon, egg, and cheese omelette on my mind. Ate than and then they had pancakes so I HAD to get a couple of those too. Don't do my diet plan.

larry_arizona
02-28-2019, 03:16 PM
But at the same time you got to eat ENOUGH.

I typically aim for the calories needed for the basal metabolic rate of the weight I want to be.

If you don’t eat enough, your metabolism goes into starvation mode.

dakota4ce
02-28-2019, 03:32 PM
But at the same time you got to eat ENOUGH.

I typically aim for the calories needed for the basal metabolic rate of the weight I want to be.

If you don’t eat enough, your metabolism goes into starvation mode.

Of course. You would also be hungry as hell. Majority of average “overweight” folks eat way way way too much.

larry_arizona
02-28-2019, 03:57 PM
My point was that when losing weight, when the needle on the scale doesn’t move, the inexperienced often will drop calories under their basal metabolic rate and they will still not lose weight.

When in fact they need to eat more to lose weight.

BrentC5Z
02-28-2019, 04:21 PM
So yesterday at work was asian food day. I don't line asian food, unless its hibachi and even then its more just steak and grilled shrimp. At lunch I had some sweet/sour chicken but I was still so hungry I score a cinnamon roll, cup cake, and a rice crispy treat. I am awful, no self control when it comes to eating. This morning I went in the galley with nothing but a bacon, egg, and cheese omelette on my mind. Ate than and then they had pancakes so I HAD to get a couple of those too. Don't do my diet plan.

Good Lord! Wait, are you the under 40 guy? I remember those days.

dakota4ce
02-28-2019, 04:34 PM
The good old days! I try to eat about 2500 cal a day now. I suspect that is slightly lower than my actual base rate. I have lost 10 or 11 pounds over the course of about three months. It’s pretty fascinating to count. I would venture to guess at some points in time I was eating 5000 cal a day.

I wasn’t obese, miraculously! [emoji1787]

Shoebox
02-28-2019, 05:16 PM
Even more simplified.....count your overall caloric intake. Stick to a plan, reduce it. That will force you to make better food decisions overall because crap food will -typically- be high in calories.

There are exceptions (example: good fats are high) so you need to pay attention to how you manage it. But it’s simplicity is powerful. Stop eating so damn much! Then, of what you do eat, make better choices.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThis is very true. The biggest issue is we eat far too much food. Eating huge portions not only is far too many calories, but it also stretches out your stomach, exacerbating the problem. Eat smaller portions of whatever, you'll feel hungry for a bit, until your stomach adjusts. Then it's much easier. Eat whatever you want, just eat less of it.

parrothd
02-28-2019, 07:07 PM
This is very true. The biggest issue is we eat far too much food. Eating huge portions not only is far too many calories, but it also stretches out your stomach, exacerbating the problem. Eat smaller portions of whatever, you'll feel hungry for a bit, until your stomach adjusts. Then it's much easier. Eat whatever you want, just eat less of it.

That and avoid sugar, Check labels sugar is added to everything from lunch meat to ketchup.

Matt0520
03-01-2019, 02:53 PM
My point was that when losing weight, when the needle on the scale doesn’t move, the inexperienced often will drop calories under their basal metabolic rate and they will still not lose weight.

When in fact they need to eat more to lose weight.

Yep! I've helped a few friends and they're baffled when they ask me how to lose weight and I tell them "eat more". Everything in the body is in balance, if you starve yourself, the body down-regulates your metabolism while also triggering more fat storage.

I like the broccoli comment earlier, don't put salt or butter on ______ and see how much you eat. You'll be amazed how it's hard to stuff your face when you're not hijacking your pallet with add-ons. Case in point: I destroyed a whole bag of sweet potato chips last night without even realizing it.

I used to sell to food manufacturers and I was amazed at how much sorcery goes into the flavor profiles, ingredients, etc. of our food. And it's all designed to make us eat more and actually shut down the hormones (ghrelin/leptin) that should be released to tell us to stop eating.

That and avoid sugar, Check labels sugar is added to everything from lunch meat to ketchup.

BINGO. This is so huge. Cutting out sugar (as well as dairy) has been night and day for me in a ton of ways. It's hard, because it's everywhere (even in vitamins) but it has caused an epidemic here in the US.

Another sugar-related thing to cut out is sucralose, HFCS, etc. Worse than sugar, bc your body doesn't have any idea what to do with it. 100% gets stored. And it destroys your gut.

I work part-time in EMS and virtually every diabetic I've worked with is on diet/chemical sweeteners. Sadly, they never get better.

Matt0520
03-01-2019, 03:04 PM
Anyway, more on topic...I'm newer to wakeboarding - is stretching a lot beneficial?

I've never been that flexible, wondering if focusing more on mobility will help keep my summer season long? Yoga? lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COBW2F69wto

BrentC5Z
03-01-2019, 05:05 PM
IMO stretching is beneficial to everything you do. Especially high impact activities like wakeboarding. Most people forget to stretch AFTER.

larry_arizona
03-01-2019, 05:58 PM
Big fan of yoga. About 10-11 years ago, I picked up a yoga book written by Diamond Dallas Page. It’s a form of power yoga and controlled breathing. I don’t get into the yoga culture/spiritual, but the poses are legit.

https://www.diamonddallaspage.com/fitness-guru/

I still do it to this day, I found about 5-6 weeks I achieved my maximum flexibility and that 1x per week after the beginners phase was all I needed to maintain.

Yoga, compliments any sport, but the balance alone would translate directly to surfing.

Flexibility and Balance were the two greatest gains. Even when I have gotten out of shape and fat, my flexibility and balance are still above average, it’s due to muscle memory.

rdlangston13
03-01-2019, 07:40 PM
I work with a guy from Mumbai and he is not too pleased with the American butchering of yoga lol. But he meditates for like a half hour every day after he showers and refuses to do yoga on the ship because it can only be done on the ground and ships float. Also, you can’t do yoga if you’re not on the ground floor of a building apparently because you’re not connected to the earth or something like that.

larry_arizona
03-01-2019, 09:09 PM
I work with a guy from Mumbai and he is not too pleased with the American butchering of yoga lol. But he meditates for like a half hour every day after he showers and refuses to do yoga on the ship because it can only be done on the ground and ships float. Also, you can’t do yoga if you’re not on the ground floor of a building apparently because you’re not connected to the earth or something like that.

Have you ever had Chinese food in China? It sucks!!!!

parrothd
03-02-2019, 12:34 AM
Yep! I've helped a few friends and they're baffled when they ask me how to lose weight and I tell them "eat more". Everything in the body is in balance, if you starve yourself, the body down-regulates your metabolism while also triggering more fat storage.

I like the broccoli comment earlier, don't put salt or butter on ______ and see how much you eat. You'll be amazed how it's hard to stuff your face when you're not hijacking your pallet with add-ons. Case in point: I destroyed a whole bag of sweet potato chips last night without even realizing it.

I used to sell to food manufacturers and I was amazed at how much sorcery goes into the flavor profiles, ingredients, etc. of our food. And it's all designed to make us eat more and actually shut down the hormones (ghrelin/leptin) that should be released to tell us to stop eating.

BINGO. This is so huge. Cutting out sugar (as well as dairy) has been night and day for me in a ton of ways. It's hard, because it's everywhere (even in vitamins) but it has caused an epidemic here in the US.

Another sugar-related thing to cut out is sucralose, HFCS, etc. Worse than sugar, bc your body doesn't have any idea what to do with it. 100% gets stored. And it destroys your gut.

I work part-time in EMS and virtually every diabetic I've worked with is on diet/chemical sweeteners. Sadly, they never get better.

I also do time restricted eating, climbing and onewheeling really keeps me in shape all winter. Just snowboarded 4 days in Whistler, my legs held up..

rdlangston13
03-02-2019, 08:15 AM
Have you ever had Chinese food in China? It sucks!!!!

Chinese food sucks in general but yeah. I imagine it would be worse in China that it is here. That's pretty standard for nearly all "ethnic" foods. Tex-mex is better than actual Mexican food, pizza in Italy doesn't have sauce (wth), ect ect...

Shoebox
03-02-2019, 11:21 AM
Chinese food sucks in general but yeah. I imagine it would be worse in China that it is here. That's pretty standard for nearly all "ethnic" foods. Tex-mex is better than actual Mexican food, pizza in Italy doesn't have sauce (wth), ect ect...You guys are smoking crack. All ethnic foods are far better in their countries of origin.

larry_arizona
03-02-2019, 12:02 PM
You guys are smoking crack. All ethnic foods are far better in their countries of origin.

Lol, I dare you to go to China and enjoy a “lazy Susan” meal.

My sarcasm may have been missed on a yogie from the country of origin saying Americans butcher yoga.

Again, I personally skip the religious aspect and only focus on the physical part of yoga, not interested is the purest form of that style of exercise.

Shoebox
03-02-2019, 12:03 PM
Lol, I dare you to go to China and enjoy a “lazy Susan” meal.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI lived in Taiwan and my wife is Chinese. I can assure you I've had plenty.

larry_arizona
03-02-2019, 12:06 PM
I lived in Taiwan and my wife is Chinese. I can assure you I've had plenty.

You are a brave man. I had enough when the chef butchered a live lobster for the table to enjoy......

Shoebox
03-02-2019, 12:08 PM
You are a brave man. I had enough when the chef butchered a live lobster for the table to enjoy......

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkYou don't have to eat everything they serve you, you know. I draw the line at any kind of guts (that goes for "American" food, too - e.g., liver and onions) and sea cucumbers. [emoji2961]

larry_arizona
03-02-2019, 12:13 PM
In all honesty, I can say I am happy to have tried the experience of a dozen+ lazy Susan meals in Shanghai and of course the culture associated with it.

No offense was intended, it truly was sarcasm towards hard core Yoga.

Shoebox
03-02-2019, 12:14 PM
No worries. I just don't know how anyone can say Tex-Mex is better than authentic Mexican food. [emoji23]

rdlangston13
03-02-2019, 12:16 PM
You don't have to eat everything they serve you, you know. I draw the line at any kind of guts (that goes for "American" food, too - e.g., liver and onions) and sea cucumbers. [emoji2961]

You don’t like boudin??? You’re missing out!

Matt0520
03-02-2019, 12:50 PM

You guys haven’t lived until you’ve had Balut lol [emoji2961]

larry_arizona
03-02-2019, 02:23 PM

Refused it every time.

Shoebox
03-02-2019, 02:24 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkHell no! [emoji1785]

rdlangston13
03-02-2019, 02:57 PM
I am not sure how many of ya'll had really had Tex-Mex. If its not from Texas, it ain't Tex-Mex.

Shoebox
03-02-2019, 03:00 PM
Lived in Grapevine 3 years. Does that count?

larry_arizona
03-18-2019, 06:04 PM
Drop 20#

Yoga 1x a week

The bad news:
Herniated another disc, so my dead, squat and overhead goals are shot for awhile. Got to 315 dead, 365 squat and 250 overhead. Herniated it on 75# kettlebell clean and press.

It’s recovering and looks like I will not need surgery:

The good news:
Down 15# and cardio is good. Benched 315 10 clean reps today which equates to appx 420 max.

Shoebox
03-18-2019, 06:13 PM
The bad news:
Herniated another disc, so my dead, squat and overhead goals are shot for awhile. Got to 315 dead, 365 squat and 250 overhead. Herniated it on 75# kettlebell clean and press.

It’s recovering and looks like I will not need surgery:

The good news:
Down 15# and cardio is good. Benched 315 10 clean reps today which equates to appx 420 max.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkDamn, you're a beast. I've given up on squats. I tweaked my back about 8 years ago doing squats, and ever since any time I try them, even at 135 lbs, it tweaks it again.

Matt0520
03-18-2019, 06:16 PM
Damn, you're a beast. I've given up on squats. I tweaked my back about 8 years ago doing squats, and ever since any time I try them, even at 135 lbs, it tweaks it again.

Yeah that’s beast mode. I thought squatting 225 for reps and deadlifting 315 was good. My 33 year old body can barely take that anymore!

larry_arizona
03-18-2019, 07:12 PM
Yep, I am hanging up the dead’s for good and light squats mostly for core strength. No better core exercise than squats.

At my age I don’t need to grow muscle mass at the risk/expense of my back. I am sure at some point I will have a second back surgery in my future.

Just will use spinning and biking for leg conditioning.

Matt0520
03-18-2019, 07:50 PM
Yep, I am hanging up the dead’s for good and light squats mostly for core strength. No better core exercise than squats.

At my age I don’t need to grow muscle mass at the risk/expense of my back. I am sure at some point I will have a second back surgery in my future.

Just will use spinning and biking for leg conditioning.

Hit up the rower and 20min EMOM burpees today! Lots of sweating lol.

I’m also trying to eat more (2950-3000cal) with good macros and see where that lands me.

larry_arizona
03-18-2019, 07:54 PM
3000 calories and what weight are you trying to get to?

Matt0520
03-18-2019, 07:57 PM
3000 calories and what weight are you trying to get to?

Maintaining 185-190, just trying to cycle fat out and increase muscle. MTF hiit train with 15% carbs, 60% fat, 25% protein. Rest of week is lifting with 50% carbs, 30% fat, 20% protein. Eating 12-8pm. Rest on Sunday.

Not super fluffy now but would like to be leaner lol
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190318/cad612131e74ed0a7026ea3d3f7e69b6.jpg

larry_arizona
03-18-2019, 08:14 PM
Gotcha, makes sense now. My assumption was you were cutting weight, my bad.

Matt0520
03-18-2019, 08:15 PM
Gotcha, makes sense now. My assumption was you were cutting weight, my bad.

That was the original plan, but have tweaked it to try and just cut fat (who knows how well that’ll go!)

rdlangston13
03-18-2019, 09:51 PM
Ive never had a back issues until July of last year where I must have done something to it while doing Romanian dead lifts. Then the next day I proceeded to to squats and normal dead lifts only to aggravate it more. Since then I’ve had issues. Started getting better until about 2 weeks ago I squats and lunges one more morning. Felt good all day but the next day I hurt like crap. Pain is better than it was but still there and it sucks because I’m not good at not being active. Did more dead lifts today so I’ll see how I feel tomorrow lol. I like to use the trap bar for them to prevent back stress as much as possible but if I’m hurting tomorrow I may have to cut them out too.

larry_arizona
03-19-2019, 06:42 AM
If you are getting the searing pain shooting down your buttocks and leg, I for sure would stop any spine loading or shearing exercise.

The thing about disc injuries are they don’t show up right away, I normally have 1-3 days delay and then massive pain.

If you are lucky they can heal, if after a month the pain is still there, it’s time to get an mri.

rdlangston13
03-19-2019, 11:32 AM
No shooting pain down my leg or butt. It’s pretty localized to just the mid left side of my lower back. It’s nothing so excruciating that’s I can’t move, just makes doing things I enjoy not enjoyable.

Prospersigman
03-19-2019, 12:24 PM
Getting old is a biatch!!!

larry_arizona
03-19-2019, 01:17 PM
Hilarious

https://youtu.be/ghfGdEilxZg

Shoebox
03-20-2019, 10:47 AM
Hilarious

https://youtu.be/ghfGdEilxZg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOuch. Some of those looked brutal.

padge
03-20-2019, 11:06 AM
Every time I dead lift, my back gets jacked up. I concentrate on perfect form a lot. I think it hurts worse to do them that way than if I just moved the weight.

larry_arizona
03-20-2019, 11:20 AM
I think a lot of people simply don’t have good body proportions to dead lift.

Torso/ trunk/leg/arm lengths all are huge factors.

They make bars specific for shorter arms/torso or simply raise the bar using blocks.

My mechanics for the deadlift sucks. Trunk is longer than torso and I lean too far forward.

Matt0520
03-20-2019, 12:01 PM
Every time I dead lift, my back gets jacked up. I concentrate on perfect form a lot. I think it hurts worse to do them that way than if I just moved the weight.

I would try it off of blocks or just do half racks then

padge
03-20-2019, 12:04 PM
I do rack pulls from time to time. Work up to 500 with no pain. I let peer pressure get me lol

Matt0520
03-20-2019, 12:05 PM
I do rack pulls from time to time. Work up to 500 with no pain. I let peer pressure get me lol

Anything that triggers posterior chain is probably a good alternative too. Bent over rows for example.

RC_Hinojosa
03-20-2019, 01:34 PM
Cory T...showing how it's done

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvOWfYygykX/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=v9o9waadlia9

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk

Matt0520
03-20-2019, 01:36 PM
Cory T...showing how it's done

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvOWfYygykX/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=v9o9waadlia9

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk

That’s impressive! Failing at that would be ugly at that height, but I have to try it now

zabooda
03-20-2019, 02:45 PM
I've had sciatica and back problems on and off for years. It wasn't until 8 years ago that I played basketball on a Friday, dive rescue training on Saturday and worked under the house on Sunday did i realize I needed my back evaluated. The next three days i was bed ridden and an ambulance ride. I had nasty spasms and my MRI showed two herniated discs. I'd recommend getting an MRI to see where the problem lies. My herniated disc makes me from twisting my body and I do core strengthening which all PT places put people on. No situps and crunches are on a machine. Very little problems now. An occasional sciatica issue that gets massaged out. I learned a few things when I was bedridden and that is a back problem is hell where i need to follow the expert's advice and also I needed a new mattress.

larry_arizona
03-20-2019, 03:08 PM
I've had sciatica and back problems on and off for years. It wasn't until 8 years ago that I played basketball on a Friday, dive rescue training on Saturday and worked under the house on Sunday did i realize I needed my back evaluated. The next three days i was bed ridden and an ambulance ride. I had nasty spasms and my MRI showed two herniated discs. I'd recommend getting an MRI to see where the problem lies. My herniated disc makes me from twisting my body and I do core strengthening which all PT places put people on. No situps and crunches are on a machine. Very little problems now. An occasional sciatica issue that gets massaged out. I learned a few things when I was bedridden and that is a back problem is hell where i need to follow the expert's advice and also I needed a new mattress.

Amen brother, I would put sciatic pain up there with the worst pains out there.

Pound
03-20-2019, 04:28 PM
Protect your back guys!

Hey, does anyone on here climb? We joined a great climbing gym close to our house and it's fun af. I've now started tailoring my workouts to (hopefully) improve my climbing. Tell me what you think about this routine I did today at my regular gym:

3 sets of each movement:
Machine pull downs using fingers instead of full grip, super setting w/pushups.
Calf Raises (focusing on toes instead of balls of feet) super setting w/30 air squats
Triceps push downs super setting w/dumbell curls
Cable pull down crunches super setting w/pull ups using rock grips (didn't even notice we had these in my gym at work until today, lol)

Then repeat for 2nd round for a total of 6 sets of each. I was pretty smoked.

The routine i did on Monday was similar but i had shoulder work included (arnold presses and side laterals)

parrothd
03-20-2019, 05:06 PM
Protect your back guys!

Hey, does anyone on here climb? We joined a great climbing gym close to our house and it's fun af. I've now started tailoring my workouts to (hopefully) improve my climbing. Tell me what you think about this routine I did today at my regular gym:

3 sets of each movement:
Machine pull downs using fingers instead of full grip, super setting w/pushups.
Calf Raises (focusing on toes instead of balls of feet) super setting w/30 air squats
Triceps push downs super setting w/dumbell curls
Cable pull down crunches super setting w/pull ups using rock grips (didn't even notice we had these in my gym at work until today, lol)

Then repeat for 2nd round for a total of 6 sets of each. I was pretty smoked.

The routine i did on Monday was similar but i had shoulder work included (arnold presses and side laterals)

I climb 2-3 times a week over the winter, really keeps me in shape, best workout and fun!.. :)

padge
03-20-2019, 05:11 PM
I would think weighted pull ups would be the best exercise for climbing

Pound
03-20-2019, 05:42 PM
"I climb 2-3 times a week over the winter, really keeps me in shape, best workout and fun!."

There are definitely a lot of super fit people in there, that's for sure.

I'm good for 12'ish clean, dead hang pull ups at my body weight (198 as of this morning). I'd definitely like to do more and weighted pull ups will help that. but what kills me currently is the friggin finger tip stuff. That's just not something i'm used to for typical gym work. so that's why i'm trying to focus on pulling motions w/my fingers only and also calves from my toes. I was doing sets of 6-8 pull ups using the rock grips... pretty proud of that ;-) Totally different feel that's for sure.
I think climbing fitness can translate to the water sports pretty directly. grip strength, leg strength, pulling strength, endurance, balance, etc. seems like a great off season (and on season) activity.

parrothd
03-20-2019, 11:33 PM
"I climb 2-3 times a week over the winter, really keeps me in shape, best workout and fun!."

There are definitely a lot of super fit people in there, that's for sure.

I'm good for 12'ish clean, dead hang pull ups at my body weight (198 as of this morning). I'd definitely like to do more and weighted pull ups will help that. but what kills me currently is the friggin finger tip stuff. That's just not something i'm used to for typical gym work. so that's why i'm trying to focus on pulling motions w/my fingers only and also calves from my toes. I was doing sets of 6-8 pull ups using the rock grips... pretty proud of that ;-) Totally different feel that's for sure.
I think climbing fitness can translate to the water sports pretty directly. grip strength, leg strength, pulling strength, endurance, balance, etc. seems like a great off season (and on season) activity.

Us dudes all start climbing the same way, with strength and power, the real secret is technique and climbing slow. My girlfriend can out climb me all day long, she's uses her legs for 90% of the work. I've spent the last few months re-learning how to climb more efficiently, you just need to watch better climbers(women, fun to watch too..lol) and really start using your legs and not pulling up with your arms. For the fingers, don't hold on for dear life with a death grip, just learn to hook your finger tips, you just want to be able to hold on with the least amount of effort and use your feet. Next time you grab a jug are you holding tight like a baseball bat or loose? Just curl your fingers and hook them instead, climb often and the fingers will get really strong pretty quick. :)

Matt0520
03-22-2019, 01:22 PM
Here’s some Friday fails for you guys. Commentary is LOL funny

https://youtu.be/pe2U-FXccUs

Pound
03-29-2019, 10:53 AM
Climbed a 5.10+ earlier this week. It wasn't the prettiest climb, but I did it w/no takes or falls. Oh and I did a V3 boulder problem. watch out Alex Honnold.

parrothd
03-29-2019, 12:10 PM
Climbed a 5.10+ earlier this week. It wasn't the prettiest climb, but I did it w/no takes or falls. Oh and I did a V3 boulder problem. watch out Alex Honnold.

Nice, just started lead climbing, like learning to climb all over again.

Pound
03-29-2019, 05:47 PM
yeah my 5.10+ was top rope.

parrothd
03-29-2019, 11:30 PM
yeah my 5.10+ was top rope.

It amazing how hard and scary it can be but the feeling after completing a route is pretty awsome. Good job!

Pound
01-06-2020, 05:11 PM
reviving older thread for advice from some of you 5/3/1 guys.
Started 5/3/1 a few weeks ago. I'm just starting week 3 of my first month. I've been lifting for a long time but haven't done core lifts in quite a while. so i made an educated guess at my 1RM's and sandbagged a little bit to set up the program.

I'm consistently getting of 10-15 reps on my max effort sets on OHP and Bench and about 18-20 on DL and squats. I've kept the weights i started with for this 1st month and considering it an orientation month. should i bump up the weights just 5/10 per the program or am i ok to do more like 10/20 for the next cycle? I know i don't want to hit a wall too soon, but i also have a specific goal (315 on bench) that i'm trying to hit and i'm only about 20 lbs off of that right now. So I may only do this program for about 4-6 months max (unless i make great progress).

what u think gurus?

larry_arizona
01-06-2020, 10:30 PM
You should dial in your true 1RM and 18-20 reps on your final set is too many.

PM me if you need help calculating your 1RM.

NewbFam5
01-07-2020, 12:15 AM
Stopped climbing when I hit 30, free climbing 40-50 foot cliffs on fairly easy 5.9 was the most I did but still being that far above ground not roped in wasn't the smartest stint in my life.

I keep in shape by running my own garage cardio crossfit. Lots of running (15-20 miles per week) and lots of cleans, shoulder press, toe to bar, chest to bar, kettle bell, burpee, jump rope, etc. etc. I sign up for at least three competitions per year to help me stay on target. Finished Spartan Tri-Fecta in 2019 and doing it again in 2020. I find that it is a great race to train for because you need cardio endurance and weight training core endurance. I'm not a huge heavy olympic lift guy but I will do many reps of deadlifts at 185-225, shoulders and cleans at 95-125, and front squats at 95-105. I find that is plenty of weight for my 48 year old ass. Two years ago I set a goal to run a 100+ miles per month. Did just under 1500 miles, that was way too much. I think that 15-20 is great plus the core and core/leg based lifting.

oneuser
10-14-2021, 09:53 AM
I'll be taking climbing lessons soon too.