PDA

View Full Version : Supra SL 2018 vs 2019

ghebert1111
02-23-2019, 01:06 PM
What are the differences between these years. I know of the following differences
- vision control system
- flip up seats on sundeck
- walkthrough transom
- new vinyl

Anything else? Has autowake changed and if so is it a software update? Does the vision control system deliver any new functionality or is it just usability?

I really have started to love the walkthrough transom but not sure if that's reason enough for me to get a 2019.

pedel
02-23-2019, 01:11 PM
I have an 18 which I love. But the two changes you didn’t mention are the most interesting to me. The 19 now has ballast sensors which would be really nice. Also, you can now adjust the surf plates on the fly (vs needing to experiment by changing presets). That said you can’t go wrong either way!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
02-23-2019, 01:20 PM
You can change wake plate on the fly with an 18. Manual lever on steering column.

If money isn’t a concern, I suppose taking a loss on selling the 18 and buying a more expensive 19 is always an option.

Guessing about a $25000 swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdlangston13
02-23-2019, 01:51 PM
You can change wake plate on the fly with an 18. Manual lever on steering column.

If money isn’t a concern, I suppose taking a loss on selling the 18 and buying a more expensive 19 is always an option.

Guessing about a $25000 swing.

I think he was referring to the surf plate of supra swell, not the center wake plate.

larry_arizona
02-23-2019, 01:59 PM
I think he was referring to the surf plate of supra swell, not the center wake plate.

Gotcha, not sure why you would want to manually adjust swell as the presets nail pitch and roll perfectly with autowake.

Wake plate only helps if you are lacking bow weight when you have a light crew day.

DFTR Josh
02-23-2019, 02:01 PM
I have an 18 which I love. But the two changes you didn’t mention are the most interesting to me. The 19 now has ballast sensors which would be really nice. Also, you can now adjust the surf plates on the fly (vs needing to experiment by changing presets). That said you can’t go wrong either way!
Not 100% if the 2019's have the new ballast sensors? I thought when talking to Matt at our boat show he said Supra is in line to get the sensors. I could be wrong though.

larry_arizona
02-23-2019, 02:02 PM
Not 100% if the 2019's have the new ballast sensors? I thought when talking to Matt at our boat show he said Supra is in line to get the sensors. I could be wrong though.

I was told late build 2019’s will get them.

moombacraze
02-23-2019, 02:37 PM
I ordered my SL about a month ago and ordered it with the Ballast fill sensor upgrade. So, it is available on the Supras. Here’s a pic of my build sheet. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190223/ac590105d2b215a922e11f294555e0f2.jpg

DFTR Josh
02-23-2019, 02:55 PM
I ordered my SL about a month ago and ordered it with the Ballast fill sensor upgrade. So, it is available on the Supras. Here’s a pic of my build sheet.
That answers that, I knew they were getting it soon.

MJHSupra
02-24-2019, 11:35 AM
Thus one would expect if a 19 did not have them, it could be added.
With a software update. . . .

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

ghebert1111
02-24-2019, 12:16 PM
And how about the following options:

Tower camera? is it worth getting? We mostly surf so I'm thinking yes.

Sundeck Flip up seats? Comfortable? Are they rarely used? Were they a good idea but not so good on the boat?

larry_arizona
02-24-2019, 12:26 PM
Sat on the flip ups at the boat show, fairly comfy.

Locally we can’t legally use these seats while in motion, but, nice option maybe for the sandbar or where it’s legal to sit on the transom in motion.

MJHSupra
02-24-2019, 04:29 PM
I ordered my SL about a month ago and ordered it with the Ballast fill sensor upgrade. So, it is available on the Supras. Here’s a pic of my build sheet. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190223/ac590105d2b215a922e11f294555e0f2.jpg

How many of the Phender Cleats do they install - 4?

moombacraze
02-24-2019, 04:31 PM
How many of the Phender Cleats do they install - 4?

(2) on each side, and (2) on the transom to mount a GoPro. (6) total.

MJHSupra
02-24-2019, 04:51 PM
(2) on each side, and (2) on the transom to mount a GoPro. (6) total.

Good option to choose!! Did not know about the transom.

larry_arizona
02-24-2019, 05:40 PM
These look pretty easy to install and about $50 each.

https://www.walleyecenter.com/collections/boat-cleats/products/big-sky-original-phender-pro-fender-cleat-receiver-only-3-8

Although, a suction cup mount seems just as effective

moombacraze
02-24-2019, 05:57 PM
These look pretty easy to install and about $50 each.

https://www.walleyecenter.com/collections/boat-cleats/products/big-sky-original-phender-pro-fender-cleat-receiver-only-3-8

Although, a suction cup mount seems just as effective

That’s the price for only the receiver end only. You need the fender pins too. You can buy them together for $100 each. You would be $600 just for parts.

larry_arizona
02-24-2019, 06:08 PM
That’s the price for only the receiver end only. You need the fender pins too. You can buy them together for $100 each. You would be $600 just for parts.

I would only use the receivers for a go pro ram mount. The boat still has the 6 pop out cleats for bumpers etc.

Likely would only install 2 receivers on the transom.

Do the 19’s come with pins for all 6 locations?

ghebert1111
02-24-2019, 07:36 PM
Regarding the cameras, transom and tower, I assume they have recording capabilities, is that correct? If so do they record to a MicroSD card?

elevatedconcept
02-25-2019, 01:42 AM
Gotcha, not sure why you would want to manually adjust swell as the presets nail pitch and roll perfectly with autowake.

Wake plate only helps if you are lacking bow weight when you have a light crew day.

Quite the contrary. The heavier the SL/SE get in terms of weight the less plate you need to run because the boat wont need those said pitch and roll settings. The boats when heavy can run 15-20% less in plate. Why is that important? Because with less plate you are leveraging less hull back out of the water. I also tend to think the shape of the wave is better with the hull as flat in the water as possible. Ive ran all of the shop boats with autowake and dont get me wrong it is dynamite. But the factory defaults arent what are awesome, its the ability to now save an updated setting in real time quickly. I have been able to go back and get a legit shot for shot comparison with setups. Think its better? save it. Run it and then evaluate.

For my own personal boat (19 SE) My settings now when heavy are only around 1.5 degrees of roll side to side with around 8.5 degrees of bow rise.

I run 700PnP in the rear and 1k in the nose and its a matter of filling the entire boat and then just surfing side to side all day. Pull some plate out without losing how clean it is and it absolutely kranks...

Ryann
03-13-2019, 12:03 AM

My memory may be failing me, but I believe I was changing the surf plates and smart plate on the fly in my '18 SL. To do it, go to change the rider preset amounts, then deactivate and reactivate the rider profile all while surfing. Have you tried that method?

Matt0520
03-13-2019, 03:29 PM
Sundeck Flip up seats? Comfortable? Are they rarely used? Were they a good idea but not so good on the boat?

I would for sure do them, especially since Nautique doesn’t offer anything similar in the G. Just another thing Supras have that they don’t.

They are very sturdy and the hinges look super cool when the seats are in the “up” position.

JoeMma
03-24-2019, 04:12 PM
Supra messed up big time by making the 2019 captains chair electric and there's no option to make it non electric. I wouldnt buy one for that reason, I bought the 2018 Supra SL instead. For 2019, in order to rotate captains chair you need to press an electric button for 10 seconds to move seat all the way forward before it can rotate. Then when you sit back down again you need to press again for 10 seconds. And it makes a not too pleasant sound. Imagine doing this like 20 times a day. I would call that non functional.

I would think most people that drive the boat want to rotate it when stopped to face your guests and talk. In my previous boats its always been super easy to rotate it. Even in the Supra 2018 its a bit of a nuisance. It should be designed so you can rotate at any position without hitting the throttle.

And since the owner is the one that typically drives the boat, the captains chair is one of the most important functions in my opinion on the boat.

Prospersigman
03-25-2019, 10:55 AM
I couldn't agree more!! The drivers helm needs to be redesigned on the Supras. I hate to say it, but it they need to copy what is in the Nautiques and now the Mailbus.

Not sure what they can do with the seat and the power tower that folds down right in front of the seat. In order to put the tower down now you have to double check that the seat is all the way down, the bolster is down and it is rotated about 10 degrees to the right so the tower doesn't hit the seat.

Matt0520
03-25-2019, 11:11 AM
Supra messed up big time by making the 2019 captains chair electric and there's no option to make it non electric. I wouldnt buy one for that reason, I bought the 2018 Supra SL instead. For 2019, in order to rotate captains chair you need to press an electric button for 10 seconds to move seat all the way forward before it can rotate. Then when you sit back down again you need to press again for 10 seconds. And it makes a not too pleasant sound. Imagine doing this like 20 times a day. I would call that non functional.

That sounds awful.

Either make it manual or put a Malibu/Nautique style seat in that you can turn in without rotating the seat