PDA

View Full Version : Southern Surfest 2019?

Hayden
02-20-2019, 02:29 PM
I had talked to Wolf about this a year back but hadn't seen or heard from him since. Wondering if anyone knows whether this is a go for 2019? I know their website is down and there hasn't been anything related to it posted to the facebook page.

Anyone heard anything?

MJHSupra
02-20-2019, 10:15 PM
I agree. I have not seen anything about this here or on Fbook.

NickWray
02-21-2019, 09:09 PM
I messaged them through their website a couple weeks back and didn’t get a response, so I emailed them...no response to that either. You’re correct though the website is down now. If it’s over for good maybe someone else in the southeast should consider putting something together [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmvotto
03-01-2019, 09:13 AM
Its DOA for 2019 and the future

MJHSupra
03-01-2019, 01:47 PM
Too bad. If we had one close, I would attend. I like to read about the reviews for events like the Polar Bear too.

Funny how those events are designed to be neutral, but on sites like Wakeworld, the get twisted in those brand-loyal customer threads.

dakota4ce
03-01-2019, 05:05 PM
Too bad. If we had one close, I would attend. I like to read about the reviews for events like the Polar Bear too.

Funny how those events are designed to be neutral, but on sites like Wakeworld, the get twisted in those brand-loyal customer threads.

Events might be “neutral” but attendees are far from it.

sandm
03-01-2019, 06:38 PM
dakota, that would be one takeaway from the polar bear I attended. granted it was a while ago but seemed to be 3 groups:
those shopping for brands
those meeting up with old friends to ride for a weekend
those that are there to ride other brands of boats to confirm their brand was the superior choice

it was a fun event and I am grateful to Robert for hosting it and went in with no preconceived notions but lots had brand goggles on and couldn't see past flaws in their brand or admit another brand outsurfed theirs.

dakota4ce
03-01-2019, 07:28 PM
dakota, that would be one takeaway from the polar bear I attended. granted it was a while ago but seemed to be 3 groups:
those shopping for brands
those meeting up with old friends to ride for a weekend
those that are there to ride other brands of boats to confirm their brand was the superior choice

it was a fun event and I am grateful to Robert for hosting it and went in with no preconceived notions but lots had brand goggles on and couldn't see past flaws in their brand or admit another brand outsurfed theirs.

Excellent synopsis! That is why the survey results are often as useless as the paper they’re written on. I would like to attend sometime. I have spoken with Robert a lot and I would love to hang with him.

MJHSupra
03-01-2019, 11:33 PM
Events might be “neutral” but attendees are far from it.

That is why I read Wakeworld posts, I sill find comedy.

They usually start off fine, but then queue the ‘homer-comments’ . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1

dakota4ce
03-01-2019, 11:42 PM
That is why I read Wakeworld posts, I sill find comedy.

They usually start off fine, but then queue the ‘homer-comments’ . . . 3 . . . 2 . . . 1

Oh I spent some time recently debunking a bunch of Centurion homer jibberish. Just nonsense. Started off by saying the SL wasn’t up to his standards so he went with the Fi. I was like whaaaaaaaa? I am sure you saw it.

jmvotto
03-03-2019, 11:10 AM
Unfortunately the brand googles are there , when you sign up you are supposed to be brand neutral and objective
People that cant do that should not sign up .

More politics than you could possible think go on in the back channels, hence why it probably wont happen again .

SSF was imho the least biased event going

sandm
03-03-2019, 04:40 PM
Oh I spent some time recently debunking a bunch of Centurion homer jibberish. Just nonsense. Started off by saying the SL wasn’t up to his standards so he went with the Fi. I was like whaaaaaaaa? I am sure you saw it.

let me guess. the fanboy started with the formula for water and ended with king. :)

dakota4ce
03-03-2019, 05:04 PM
let me guess. the fanboy started with the formula for water and ended with king. :)

I can neither confirm nor deny that but you are 100% correct. LOL

dakota4ce
03-03-2019, 05:04 PM
Edit: deleted

muehlcj
03-03-2019, 10:14 PM
Just spent the weekend riding most of the manufactures best ‘19 surf boats. If it’s just wave nothing else hard to compete wiht the Ri257, 25lsv and x24. The SE is an incredible machine that is an absolute pleasure to drive with an insane wave but wave only it’s not top 3. Other factors included the deck reshuffles but just wave.

MJHSupra
03-04-2019, 12:28 AM
Just spent the weekend riding most of the manufactures best ‘19 surf boats. If it’s just wave nothing else hard to compete wiht the Ri257, 25lsv and x24. The SE is an incredible machine that is an absolute pleasure to drive with an insane wave but wave only it’s not top 3. Other factors included the deck reshuffles but just wave.

No G in the equation?

Lots of talk about the Ri - what makes that top 3?

dakota4ce
03-04-2019, 12:34 AM
No G in the equation?

Lots of talk about the Ri - what makes that top 3?

An SE with enough weight is so good. It’s all about setup.

Where were you riding these? Who was setting them up? Sounds fun!

muehlcj
03-04-2019, 07:03 AM
An SE with enough weight is so good. It’s all about setup.

Where were you riding these? Who was setting them up? Sounds fun!

Actually the g23 was toward the back of the pack (wave only).

Don’t get me wrong the SE wave was absolutely amazing. If I had one I’d be so stoked. All factors considered it would be top two IMO. Interior was insane. It was just an absolute pleasure to drive as well. Sooooo smooth. As stated above I’m sure if you pile on more lead and the wave gets better and better.

muehlcj
03-04-2019, 07:11 AM
Some photos behind the SE

dakota4ce
03-04-2019, 09:41 AM
Beautiful! It’s a beautiful boat as well like you state.

I think we had some 600ish PnP in rear and a healthy dose (800+) in the nose. I just could not get enough. It was so fun.

But you’re right, that’s a sweet lineup!

dakota4ce
03-04-2019, 09:44 AM
I have ridden one 25LSV and it wasn’t right. I was bummed. And, we had garbage boards along. So I have not tasted the true flavor.

sandm
03-04-2019, 11:34 AM
I can neither confirm nor deny that but you are 100% correct. LOL

he was in my boat both days of the '12 polar bear. good guy and a pleasure to talk to but he really had the supreme goggles on all weekend. he was excited to ride the centurion 240 and it was the biggest letdown of the event. boat was huge but wave was second worst of the bunch behind pavatti. bagged on it all afternoon. and now all I see are how great they are since he's making centurion money not supreme money and they finally merged.

dakota4ce
03-05-2019, 11:01 AM
he was in my boat both days of the '12 polar bear. good guy and a pleasure to talk to but he really had the supreme goggles on all weekend. he was excited to ride the centurion 240 and it was the biggest letdown of the event. boat was huge but wave was second worst of the bunch behind pavatti. bagged on it all afternoon. and now all I see are how great they are since he's making centurion money not supreme money and they finally merged.

Right on cue:

He just went all in recommending the Fi23 over the B5223 on the MB forum.

Guy was asking if the price difference of $18k was worth it. Absolutely not. In fact: I would still choose the MB in that pair if they were the same price...

I looked at an Fi23 with keen interest and the build quality absolutely sucked. It had good gel and vinyl, and the rest of the boat seriously looked homemade. I was really bummed.

sandm
03-05-2019, 11:21 AM
I was super excited to surf the 240 back then based on the enzo of the late 2000's being THE surfboat to have. it sucked. in defense of it factory ballast doesn't do it and it needed another 2k of ballast. that said I have shopped them each time we have been in the market and my overall impression of centurion is pricing at the top of the scale with supra/mc/'bu/nautty and quality below axis.
they do produce some great surf hulls and some of their technology and ballast capacity are at the top of the pack but it's not enough to overlook poor vinyl fitment quality, horrid dashes with poor interfaces and inflated pricing. I think if they were priced more on line with supreme they would sell quite a few but moving over 100k in any of their boats is crazy.