PDA

View Full Version : Doing it backwards -Max Purchase

flienlow
02-19-2019, 10:43 AM
Things got a bit crazy on us. We were supposed to go test a Max out, then sell our boat. Seems I have sold the boat ( purchase pending) but due to crappy weather we have not tested the MAX yet. I am bit nervous to sell my boat first having not tried a dramatically more expensive boat. Is this a worth upgrade from my LSV? I have not sold or bought anything yet and still waiting for weather and scheduling to cooperate.

sandm
02-19-2019, 11:20 AM
if you've made up your mind to sell the lsv and you have a buyer lined up, then SELL the lsv. having it gone will give you a little more negotiation power since you're not tied to a trade.

there are quite a few boats that would be a nice upgrade from the lsv in size, wave and tech. even if the max doesn't end up checking off all the boxes you will find a boat that fits the bill. I would be surprised if the max doesn't but I would not let the fact that you have not tested the max get in the way. it feels like you have already came to the family decision that a newer/bigger/better/whatever boat is in the cards so move forward :) most that have upgraded from lsv's on here will tell you to not look back.

Matt0520
02-19-2019, 06:38 PM
Yep! Sell sell sell.

Then demo Max, Craz, and Mojo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

996scott
02-19-2019, 07:33 PM
if you've made up your mind to sell the lsv and you have a buyer lined up, then SELL the lsv. having it gone will give you a little more negotiation power since you're not tied to a trade.

there are quite a few boats that would be a nice upgrade from the lsv in size, wave and tech. even if the max doesn't end up checking off all the boxes you will find a boat that fits the bill. I would be surprised if the max doesn't but I would not let the fact that you have not tested the max get in the way. it feels like you have already came to the family decision that a newer/bigger/better/whatever boat is in the cards so move forward :) most that have upgraded from lsv's on here will tell you to not look back.

that is some sound advice right there!

JesseC
02-20-2019, 07:43 PM
Sell IT!!!!!! It is way more fun to look for a boat when you don't have the old one to deal with. The newer models are night and day from the older ones. I went from an 02 LSV to my 15 Mondo and love the new boat. I thought I would miss the old one, but 5 minutes on the water in the new one fixed that problem!!!

flienlow
02-21-2019, 11:21 AM
Sell IT!!!!!! It is way more fun to look for a boat when you don't have the old one to deal with. The newer models are night and day from the older ones. I went from an 02 LSV to my 15 Mondo and love the new boat. I thought I would miss the old one, but 5 minutes on the water in the new one fixed that problem!!!

Agreed. I don't want the mental overhead of having 2 boats. However, it terrifies me to see my little birdie fly away and then have "something" come up where the max would be..."OK" of an upgrade or financing part take a dump.

haknslash
02-21-2019, 12:26 PM
You could always have them give you a quote and work on a price then see if you get approved. Only negative would be the ding to your credit report for the inquiries but at least you would know if you could get into one of the new boats before worrying about if you need to sell your boat just yet.

I don’t see how any of the new boats wouldn’t be a big upgrade from your older LSV. Interiors and everything is so much nicer IMO not to mention surf systems and newer tech is better. The Max is huge on storage you’ll feel like you could hide your LSV in the rear locker of a Max lol.

flienlow
02-21-2019, 12:39 PM
You could always have them give you a quote and work on a price then see if you get approved. Only negative would be the ding to your credit report for the inquiries but at least you would know if you could get into one of the new boats before worrying about if you need to sell your boat just yet.

I don’t see how any of the new boats wouldn’t be a big upgrade from your older LSV. Interiors and everything is so much nicer IMO not to mention surf systems and newer tech is better. The Max is huge on storage you’ll feel like you could hide your LSV in the rear locker of a Max lol.

I am approved, or at least was in Jan, I will demo the max hopefully this Sunday.
..Rear Locker. Haha!
Keep it up. I need the positive reinforcement. :)

sandm
02-21-2019, 02:51 PM
not sure what rate you are getting or if you are going through the dealer but might be worth checking around for credit union financing. dealer on my last 2 new boats couldn't touch the rates I was getting from my banks.
that kind of takes away the "approval" jitter as you will be approved for an amount from a 3rd source and now if you sell your boat you are technically a "cash" buyer.
sometimes dealers will give you a break if you use their financing as there are kickbacks on the back side you don't see but the discount might be less than the increase in apr.

bottom line, shop around and good luck with the demo....

flienlow
02-21-2019, 04:11 PM
not sure what rate you are getting or if you are going through the dealer but might be worth checking around for credit union financing. dealer on my last 2 new boats couldn't touch the rates I was getting from my banks.
that kind of takes away the "approval" jitter as you will be approved for an amount from a 3rd source and now if you sell your boat you are technically a "cash" buyer.
sometimes dealers will give you a break if you use their financing as there are kickbacks on the back side you don't see but the discount might be less than the increase in apr.

bottom line, shop around and good luck with the demo....

I forget who it was, but someone here suggested Essex Credit Union. They were by far the best for our needs.

Matt0520
02-21-2019, 04:14 PM
I forget who it was, but someone here suggested Essex Credit Union. They were by far the best for our needs.

Take Essex rates and terms to your dealer and have them match it. Win win.

korey
02-22-2019, 09:39 AM
Last season, I was approved by Essex in Jan/Feb, then they went completely silent when it was time to pull the deal together in April. Nothing changed about my credit and has always been more than adequate. I was told "so and so are away at a boat show", then no returned calls. Then "we're just really busy". Finally I went with someone else. Surprisingly, my credit union was not in the boat loan business. State Farm came in with an OK deal, then my dealer hooked me up with a new broker that was trying to earn his dealership's business and then he got me a deal with Connexus Credit Union out of Wisconsin who matched Essex/Bank of the West.

No one asked, but I can't tell my negative Essex story enough. They nearly cratered my deal! I was dealing with Krystalynn Marquez.

flienlow
02-22-2019, 06:03 PM
Last season, I was approved by Essex in Jan/Feb, then they went completely silent when it was time to pull the deal together in April. Nothing changed about my credit and has always been more than adequate. I was told "so and so are away at a boat show", then no returned calls. Then "we're just really busy". Finally I went with someone else. Surprisingly, my credit union was not in the boat loan business. State Farm came in with an OK deal, then my dealer hooked me up with a new broker that was trying to earn his dealership's business and then he got me a deal with Connexus Credit Union out of Wisconsin who matched Essex/Bank of the West.

No one asked, but I can't tell my negative Essex story enough. They nearly cratered my deal! I was dealing with Krystalynn Marquez.

I will check out the others you have mentioned too. thanks.

parrothd
02-22-2019, 07:27 PM
I will check out the others you have mentioned too. thanks.
Essex, ugh, man, the deal went OK, but then they didn't follow up and get the titles from then sellers bank. I couldn't get plates or boat sticker. Essex kept telling me titles no needed, crap, etc, etc. I had to call weekly and harras them for about 3 months before they finally got around to getting the titles so could get plates and sticker.

flienlow
02-24-2019, 06:22 PM
I finally went out on a Max today. It was disappointing. The surf wave was tiny and short. All of the autowake stuff leaves me a bit concerned to. I didn't work like I thought it would or near as good for that matter. I am not sure what to do now.

larry_arizona
02-24-2019, 06:30 PM
I finally went out on a Max today. It was disappointing. The surf wave was tiny and short. All of the autowake stuff leaves me a bit concerned to. I didn't work like I thought it would or near as good for that matter. I am not sure what to do now.

Don’t freak out, it’s WELL known the max shines with more ballast.

I promise you that autowake is the shit and with the presets and more ballast you will be happy

haknslash
02-24-2019, 06:32 PM

The stock wave isn't going to set records or blow your mind. I don't know of any tow boat that will do that for less than $100k. They all seem to take extra weight or a large crew to really open them up. Look at any of the other Max owner waves on here where they have added midship ballast and a little lead to the bow. The wave once dialed and setup looks legit...

sandm
02-24-2019, 06:34 PM
sorry to hear that Flien. have seen some good pics from other members on what that boat is capable of. could be more about a dealer offering a less than stellar demo and we all know that any boat needs added weight to get a solid wave.

larry_arizona
02-24-2019, 06:43 PM
I promise you there is no better more automatic wake system as autowake.

You can’t beat a system that keeps you dialed in to pitch and roll with the G6 pumps constantly adjusting on the fly no matter how much your crew moves in the boat.

flienlow
02-24-2019, 06:44 PM
Don’t freak out, it’s WELL known the max shines with more ballast.

I promise you that autowake is the shit and with the presets and more ballast you will be happy

So I have heard. It was freezing cold out, and we never intended to get in the water, but just take it out. Had a Crew of 4 including the salesmen. He told me to move my weight from side to side to improve the wave. i thought the auto wake system was supposed to do that, but I guess it does that by filling and emptying ballast which its a longer process. You can tell right away the boat needs more ballast to it. The salesman brought a 400lb bag that we filled and put in front of the transmission. That was like pissin in the ocean and trying to fill it up. to be fair it did help. but the boat needs loads more for sure.

dakota4ce
02-24-2019, 07:41 PM

LOL! That is unfortunate you wasted your time. The Max is an insanely good boat. Buy whatever you get FOR THE BOAT. Surfing can be taken care of. The max is among the best once taken care of.

flienlow
02-24-2019, 08:53 PM
The stock wave isn't going to set records or blow your mind. I don't know of any tow boat that will do that for less than $100k. They all seem to take extra weight or a large crew to really open them up. Look at any of the other Max owner waves on here where they have added midship ballast and a little lead to the bow. The wave once dialed and setup looks legit...

That is pretty solid right there. The wave we saw was no where near close to this. What I saw you could surf, but it would not be worth the upgrade from my present boat. I'm a nervous Nelly, but I think what I need to do is fire down the $$ and upgrade the ballast right out of the gate.

Kirby
02-24-2019, 11:13 PM
My dealer is installing new rear bags when it gets here, 1k extra. For free. Negotiate that into your deal!

FamilyMan
02-25-2019, 01:33 PM
I was also underwhelmed with the wave initially. I could surf it, but beginners or 100kg'rs had real trouble dropping the rope. Pocket was small. Added 1400lbs myself in an afternoon...wasnt difficult, honest (I am not a big DIY with jeepin's or Z28's skills). Its practically plug and play easy except you bring the hose and connections. I am sure the wake makers new system is even easier.

Anyways, now I have experienced surfer folks....mostly the women..... with older suck gate boats (buddies with an 07 lsv and 12 mondo) who have asked me to make the wave smaller by adding speed, center plate, or dropping some rear weight.

If you are getting the boat because you dig the space, the free wall, and the price...you won't be disappointed. I keep an incredible amount of crap in my boat. I don't even use the wakeboard racks...might take them down honestly.

flienlow
02-25-2019, 03:32 PM
I was also underwhelmed with the wave initially. I could surf it, but beginners or 100kg'rs had real trouble dropping the rope. Pocket was small. Added 1400lbs myself in an afternoon...wasnt difficult, honest (I am not a big DIY with jeepin's or Z28's skills). Its practically plug and play easy except you bring the hose and connections. I am sure the wake makers new system is even easier.

Anyways, now I have experienced surfer folks....mostly the women..... with older suck gate boats (buddies with an 07 lsv and 12 mondo) who have asked me to make the wave smaller by adding speed, center plate, or dropping some rear weight.

If you are getting the boat because you dig the space, the free wall, and the price...you won't be disappointed. I keep an incredible amount of crap in my boat. I don't even use the wakeboard racks...might take them down honestly.

Space is of my least concern. I am looking for boat that wont dip in the nose in turn around, larger passenger space, and ease of operation ( no suck gates, no filling of bag in passenger areas to content with.) -Hence, Back if off the lift, fill bags and have a nice surf able wave. Good Wakeboard wake ect.

dakota4ce
02-25-2019, 03:40 PM
Space is of my least concern. I am looking for boat that wont dip in the nose in turn around, larger passenger space, and ease of operation ( no suck gates, no filling of bag in passenger areas to content with.) -Hence, Back if off the lift, fill bags and have a nice surf able wave. Good Wakeboard wake ect.

If you end up dipping a max nose you have major troubles on your hands!

haknslash
02-25-2019, 04:46 PM

The Max can certainly do that and you’d still have room for days. Just upgrade to add midship ballast and it comes to life. I plan on adding two 750 lbs bags midship piggybacked off the rears just like the other have done. Results speak for themselves and seems like a simply mod to do on the Max. I forgot to check if the 2019 still had the divider wall or if there is any drilling involved like the previous years. I would not worry with dipping the nose on a Max. It has a lot of freeboard and I never saw the bow come close when we demo the boat with stock ballast. Also take in consideration maybe they didn’t have your demo boat setup to show you the best it could make in stock form granted it won’t be a monster stock but maybe he had settings off making it worse than it could be. Either way you’ll want to add probably 1,000 lbs minimum to get a really nice wave. Not a big thing to do especially if you’re not upgrading the rear bags as well. I’m starting midship and working from there.

FamilyMan
02-25-2019, 05:03 PM
... I forgot to check if the 2019 still had the divider wall or if there is any drilling involved like the previous years. I would not worry with dipping the nose on a Max. It has a lot of freeboard and I never saw the bow come close when we demo the boat with stock ballast.

At the boat show I checked the 19....had the sweet new battery door like the makai, but the divider remains with no pass through.

I would venture to say that no properly weighted boat can take their own surf rollers if you turn directly into them without giving a little gas...granted, the Max you practically can with minimal water coming over....ask my how I know haha (wife's first time pulling me and me forgetting about assumptions). I usually cut the gas, wait a second, give it some reverse and circle around anyway. Now my buddies 2021 mondo, well that thing would take water from wakeboard wake sized rollers when weighted down.

flienlow
02-25-2019, 05:11 PM
The Max can certainly do that and you’d still have room for days. Just upgrade to add midship ballast and it comes to life. I plan on adding two 750 lbs bags midship piggybacked off the rears just like the other have done. Results speak for themselves and seems like a simply mod to do on the Max. I forgot to check if the 2019 still had the divider wall or if there is any drilling involved like the previous years. I would not worry with dipping the nose on a Max. It has a lot of freeboard and I never saw the bow come close when we demo the boat with stock ballast. Also take in consideration maybe they didn’t have your demo boat setup to show you the best it could make in stock form granted it won’t be a monster stock but maybe he had settings off making it worse than it could be. Either way you’ll want to add probably 1,000 lbs minimum to get a really nice wave. Not a big thing to do especially if you’re not upgrading the rear bags as well. I’m starting midship and working from there.

Correct me if I am wrong, the stock rear bags in the max are 800's? I currently have 2 spare 910's. For sure they wont fit under that side seats ( that is where you are talking about placing the additional ballast correct? And YES, there is a divider wall between rear ballast area and midship storage so a bulkhead fitting would need to be added as well as plumbing.)

I am wondering if I can use the 910s in the rear and add some other bags in the midship area? OR should I just do it right the first time and add the 1200's in the back and 500's in the side and call it all done from the get go?

On a side note, I forget what the stock prop is on the max, but it seems to be geared well from the start. Is that your feeling?

csm
02-25-2019, 05:28 PM
At the boat show I checked the 19....had the sweet new battery door like the makai, but the divider remains with no pass through.

I would venture to say that no properly weighted boat can take their own surf rollers if you turn directly into them without giving a little gas...granted, the Max you practically can with minimal water coming over....ask my how I know haha (wife's first time pulling me and me forgetting about assumptions). I usually cut the gas, wait a second, give it some reverse and circle around anyway. Now my buddies 2021 mondo, well that thing would take water from wakeboard wake sized rollers when weighted down.

The divider between the middle seats and the rear bags in my max isn’t a wall. You can see the bags from looking underneath the side seats. There’s a hump between the seats and the rear bags, but there shouldn’t be any drilling required to add additional hoses/bags, at least in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

haknslash
02-25-2019, 05:48 PM
The divider between the middle seats and the rear bags in my max isn’t a wall. You can see the bags from looking underneath the side seats. There’s a hump between the seats and the rear bags, but there shouldn’t be any drilling required to add additional hoses/bags, at least in mine.

Awesome to know this! Should make the upgrade a breeze on 2019’s.

flienlow
02-25-2019, 05:54 PM
Awesome to know this! Should make the upgrade a breeze on 2019’s.

the demo I was in yesterday for sure had a wall on both side that will need to be drilled. I think it was a '19 model

haknslash
02-25-2019, 05:54 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, the stock rear bags in the max are 800's? I currently have 2 spare 910's. For sure they wont fit under that side seats ( that is where you are talking about placing the additional ballast correct? And YES, there is a divider wall between rear ballast area and midship storage so a bulkhead fitting would need to be added as well as plumbing.)

I am wondering if I can use the 910s in the rear and add some other bags in the midship area? OR should I just do it right the first time and add the 1200's in the back and 500's in the side and call it all done from the get go?

On a side note, I forget what the stock prop is on the max, but it seems to be geared well from the start. Is that your feeling?

I want to say the stock rear bags are 1,000 lbs and the front subfloor is a 1,000 lb bag. Maybe they were 900’s and the bow subfloor was 1200? I’m sure someone will chime in to verify. I’m just going off vague memory from my demo a year ago. My new boat is being built so can’t confirm for you.

The Max I demoed I think had the surf prop as my dealer says that’s how they always spec their boats. It had no issues pulling 3k lbs stock ballast and did not take long to plane for wakeboard speeds, unlike the Axis A22 I demoed which took FOREVER to plane with the wedge and the bow rode sky high. I think the 400 with surf prop will handle the additional weight just fine. Raptor engine felt like it had torque for days by comparison to the PCM in the Axis.

About the Autowake, from what I’ve read you really want to get the G6 ballast if you intend to use Autowake. If you have the standard G3 ballast then it tends to be too slow for any real-time changes that Autowake wants to do. So that might be why your Autowake experience wasn’t that great. Just a thought? I haven’t tried a boat with Autowake but I did order it with my build and can’t wait to try it out.

FamilyMan
02-25-2019, 06:04 PM
I thought it was a 2019....definitely had the battery door on the portside. Perhaps the late 2018s have the battery door.... or early 2019s have the intact divider.

Greatest chance is that I looked, but NOT well enough at that divider .....and never mind. I just re-read what he posted. Yes, there is not a wall, just a hump divider (call it a half wall? haha). People speculated that in the 2019s cutouts or something would be put in place along the bottom of that divider so one would not have to drill into it in order to facilitate draining of the midship bags.

FamilyMan
02-25-2019, 06:16 PM

I just left the rears the stock 900s/1000 (some say its 900, others a 1000). I am guessing its 900 since it takes more time to fill the center ballast (makes sense at 1200) vs the rear 900s.
Then I purchased the 45x20x20 720lb wake maker bags. You could probably sell those 910s and buy the 720s for not much extra coin. 1700lbs vs 1620, but in one you are just adding the two bags. Maybe having just the 500s midship will give you some storage back in the midship seats. I feel like the Max needed more weight towards the front anyway so am happy having 720s midship rather than 1200s in the back.

Surf Prop will get the entire 3000lbs with 4 adults on board to plane just fine. With all 5000lbs+ of ballast I am not able to get on plane with the surf prop. My RPMs at 11.4 are 35-3600 with me and the wife. If I have lots of people and full ballast I will see 3800 and literally too big of a wave it seems...good problem to have.

csm
02-25-2019, 06:32 PM
I thought it was a 2019....definitely had the battery door on the portside. Perhaps the late 2018s have the battery door.... or early 2019s have the intact divider.

Greatest chance is that I looked, but NOT well enough at that divider .....and never mind. I just re-read what he posted. Yes, there is not a wall, just a hump divider (call it a half wall? haha). People speculated that in the 2019s cutouts or something would be put in place along the bottom of that divider so one would not have to drill into it in order to facilitate draining of the midship bags.

Ah yeah, if draining is the issue, then drilling would still likely be required. That’s why I’m going with the easiest solution and just using lead to keep all of the storage space available.

flienlow
02-25-2019, 07:00 PM
Ah yeah, if draining is the issue, then drilling would still likely be required. That’s why I’m going with the easiest solution and just using lead to keep all of the storage space available.

I wish I could use lead, but im afraid it would be too much for my 6000lb lift.

rdlangston13
02-26-2019, 09:29 AM
I wish I could use lead, but im afraid it would be too much for my 6000lb lift.

This is my concern with my Mojo trailer. Axles are rated for 3750 each for 7500 lbs of axle capacity. Tongue weight is maybe 600 lbs and as is the whole combination clocked in at 6900 on the CAT scale. This leaves maybe 1,000 lbs of capacity if you take off the tongue weight but more like 600 lbs. I dont like getting that close to the max capacity, afraid of bending spindles and torsion failures.

larry_arizona
02-26-2019, 10:30 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190226/f479a721fd65d48ac6e3c8cdaea084f6.jpg

I need to study this a little bit, but it appears there are two variants of axles used, 3750# and 4200#

larry_arizona
02-26-2019, 11:36 AM
Moomba trailers added.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190226/b684b276ac34c17eb59b86ad4803ac4c.jpg

TXSurf4
02-26-2019, 12:12 PM
Surf Prop will get the entire 3000lbs with 4 adults on board to plane just fine. With all 5000lbs+ of ballast I am not able to get on plane with the surf prop. My RPMs at 11.4 are 35-3600 with me and the wife. If I have lots of people and full ballast I will see 3800 and literally too big of a wave it seems...good problem to have.

I am curious are you able to get to wakeboard speeds (18-23MPH) with the 5,000lbs? Not that I would ever wakeboard with that much ballast LOL I am just curious.

flienlow
02-26-2019, 01:12 PM
I am curious are you able to get to wakeboard speeds (18-23MPH) with the 5,000lbs? Not that I would ever wakeboard with that much ballast LOL I am just curious.

5000lbs? Oh I doubt that!

@Familyman- Is there a better prop alternative? and will you upgrade?

TXSurf4
02-26-2019, 01:32 PM
5000lbs? Oh I doubt that!

@Familyman- Is there a better prop alternative? and will you upgrade?

I was curious because when I demoed the Makai we loaded it up with all 4k of Ballast, 1k of lead and had 6 adults (1K) so say 6K total and got to wakeboard speed (21.5) a lot easier than I thought it would have. That boat had the 400 with the wake prop. I don't have a dog in the fight I am just curious to know if the hull design differences and 2' in length between the Max and the Makai make that much of a difference when it comes to planing. I figured that with the Max being shorter and lighter that it would be able to achieve the same no problem.

z28ke
02-26-2019, 02:53 PM
I’ve had my max loaded with 4200lbs and 10+ adults and she said negative to getting on plain (at least not in the amount of time I was comfortable leaving the hammer down and letting it struggle lol).

flienlow
02-26-2019, 03:24 PM
I’ve had my max loaded with 4200lbs and 10+ adults and she said negative to getting on plain (at least not in the amount of time I was comfortable leaving the hammer down and letting it struggle lol).

What Prop?

haknslash
02-26-2019, 04:15 PM
Isn’t there a launch setting with Autowake that helps with that?

Matt0520
02-26-2019, 04:23 PM

IIRC that mode is only active when cruise is set to around wakeboard speed or something?

TXSurf4
02-26-2019, 04:50 PM

IIRC that mode is only active when cruise is set to around wakeboard speed or something?

Yes. I recall Matt touching on this and if I remember right Autolaunch is active as long as you have Autowake ON, have cruise set and are NOT in Surfmode. I believe the surf plates go down to 50% and will stay down until the boat reaches a certain % of the set speed then they will retract to 0%. That is all in addition to what the wake plate does normally which I believe at rest is at 100% and adjusts from there depending on speed. I might have the %s off but I am pretty sure that is how it works. Someone correct me if I am wrong as I hear to learn too!

FamilyMan
02-26-2019, 05:41 PM

I tried, and failed. Have tried to use the surf tab on one side to help but didn’t work. I don’t recall if I deployed the surf plate to 100....might try that just for kicks.

Also, I don’t plan on upgrading props, as I don’t think I’ll get that much lower of rpms and am happy with its performance. There are a couple of threads where folks seem to have found some better ACME props though.

Why the makai can do it with that much ballast....dunno...but guessing it has everything to do with auto launch that uses all three plates.

Prospersigman
02-26-2019, 05:44 PM
What TXSurf says above is correct. I use to have to do that on my Supra SA with the 400 in it. When the boat was loaded down with full ballast and 800lbs of lead the boat would not get on plane without either dumping half of the ballast or switching to Wakeboard mode in the rider profiles. Once the boat got on plane I could reach down and switch off the rider profile and go about my way. I believe that is called the Auto Launch feature on Supra not sure what Moomba calls it now.

One thing that does work is having the 550 Raptor in my SL full ballast and 1000lbs of lead no problem right on plane. :cool:

haknslash
02-26-2019, 07:48 PM
Hmm now this thread has me thinking. We typically won't have big crew on our Max. Most times it will be my wife, myself, our 10 year old daughter and a buddy or two (guessing another 600-700 lbs). There will be a few times I'll have more people but it will not be the norm. Will the surf prop still plane out if I'm running 4700 lbs or so of ballast with my smaller crew? Roughly what can I expect the RPMs to be at surf speeds? We don't have any friends that wakeboard so I doubt this will be an issue for us as we mainly surf and I would dump all ballast before heading to go cruise. I ordered G6 ballast mainly for this reason (and AutoWake too) so that I could drain and fill quickly if I want to move around the lake a bit during the day.

z28ke
02-26-2019, 08:44 PM
What Prop?

Whatever moomba calls the upgraded prop, wakeboard prop I think it is.

I’d like to reprop once someone has some experience with acme’s on a max. I loved the acme 1847 (iirc) I put on my outback V and wished I had done it much sooner.

In fact I might just get with acme and see if they will let me buy whatever they recommend and trade it in for another if its not a good fit for the boat/load.

I was not using “launch mode” but will give that a shot this season. Only time it would be nice is we are surfing and need to make a short run to the ramp to pickup/drop off someone. Last season I just made them wait as we surfed our way back.

flienlow
03-01-2019, 05:06 PM
Anyone know the actual MAX midship compartment sizes for ballast bag upgrades?

z28ke
03-02-2019, 09:02 AM
Some pics I took before I started the install:

Length
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190302/2d2dc127c79f197b231be77b29159d51.jpg

Width
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190302/acf544060f6723344c214736ba38c38c.jpg

Depth
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190302/3dca09d147582f1132ba55a6e13cdeaf.jpg

flienlow
03-02-2019, 10:06 PM
Some pics I took before I started the install:

Length
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190302/2d2dc127c79f197b231be77b29159d51.jpg

Width
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190302/acf544060f6723344c214736ba38c38c.jpg

Depth
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190302/3dca09d147582f1132ba55a6e13cdeaf.jpg

Awesome! thanks!

So it looks like these are the easy option to go with for an upgrade.
46X18X22
45X20X15-550lbs
45X20X20-720lbs
45X20X25-910lbs

I am wondering if the 910 would be to big?

trayson
03-02-2019, 11:17 PM

I had a demo in a max and they didn't get the settings right on autowake and it was underwhelming THey just set amplitude at 100% and all 3 bags at 100% and the tabs for surf regular. I could barely stay in the pocket and I can surf ANYTHING typically. I talked to a few people and they said that setting amplitude at 100% is the wrong move. Basically with stock weight on a max, if the tabs are deployed too far, it lifts the stern and causes the wave to have less power. So if I was gonna get a max, it would be a no brainer to plumb in the midship ballast and I feel pretty good that it'd be legit that way.

That said, I rode the wakeboard wake at 100% ballast and 100% amplitude and it launched me into a different zipcode. it was insane. I had to ask them to dump ballast and dial it down! the shape of the wakeboard wake was legit. No complaints there (and I've rode g23 wakeboard wakes).

This spring I'll be riding a max with the upgraded midship ballast. I'll be interested to see how it performs.

dakota4ce
03-03-2019, 12:36 AM
I had a demo in a max and they didn't get the settings right on autowake and it was underwhelming THey just set amplitude at 100% and all 3 bags at 100% and the tabs for surf regular. I could barely stay in the pocket and I can surf ANYTHING typically. I talked to a few people and they said that setting amplitude at 100% is the wrong move. Basically with stock weight on a max, if the tabs are deployed too far, it lifts the stern and causes the wave to have less power. So if I was gonna get a max, it would be a no brainer to plumb in the midship ballast and I feel pretty good that it'd be legit that way.

That said, I rode the wakeboard wake at 100% ballast and 100% amplitude and it launched me into a different zipcode. it was insane. I had to ask them to dump ballast and dial it down! the shape of the wakeboard wake was legit. No complaints there (and I've rode g23 wakeboard wakes).

This spring I'll be riding a max with the upgraded midship ballast. I'll be interested to see how it performs.

The tabs are independently adjustable...pulling them up a bit is usually the ticket. Max with big weight is LEGIT.