PDA

View Full Version : Good Price on a Demo?

gsword
02-16-2019, 07:28 PM
I am currently negotiating terms with the dealer for a 2019 Moomba Max demo model with 41 hours on it. They are essentially offering me this boat for about 13% off MSRP, treating it as new, storing until spring and honoring the boat show 7-year warranty even though I didn't get it through the show. What do you guys think?

Matt0520
02-16-2019, 07:50 PM
Sounds good to me. I think I’ve heard of the Max going for around 15% off but if you’re getting that other stuff thrown in, everybody wins. You could always leave the price alone and try to get them to throw in the first year or two of oil changes and stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haknslash
02-16-2019, 08:36 PM
Seems good to me. The Max is an awesome boat!

gsword
02-17-2019, 07:52 AM
Seems good to me. The Max is an awesome boat!

Funny thing is...the reason it is a “dealer demo” is because it’s the boat that Moomba chose for all of the promotional pictures and videos. So you avatar may end up being a picture of my boat.

haknslash
02-17-2019, 08:53 AM
Funny thing is...the reason it is a “dealer demo” is because it’s the boat that Moomba chose for all of the promotional pictures and videos. So you avatar may end up being a picture of my boat.

My avatar is an edited picture I made. Originally that boat is ultra blue and black with the side graphics and different interior :D

rdlangston13
02-17-2019, 09:50 AM
I am currently negotiating terms with the dealer for a 2019 Moomba Max demo model with 41 hours on it. They are essentially offering me this boat for about 13% off MSRP, treating it as new, storing until spring and honoring the boat show 7-year warranty even though I didn't get it through the show. What do you guys think?

13% is a really good deal for anything Moomba. Not sure who is offering moombas for 15% off, seems 6-8% discount on new models is about normal for Moombas.

haknslash
02-17-2019, 09:54 AM
13% is a really good deal for anything Moomba. Not sure who is offering moombas for 15% off, seems 6-8% discount on new models is about normal for Moombas.

This has been what I've seen as well for the past year shopping these boats. I don't know what part of the country people are getting 15% off on a new boat I've seen posted on here but I'd say I'd jump at that in a heartbeat lol. On top of the 5-10% off MSRP get the dealer to throw in some extras like ropes, maintenance services, fenders, etc.

larry_arizona
02-17-2019, 11:18 AM
There really should not be a difference from demo pricing versus used pricing of a similar boat with 41 hours on it.

Matt0520
02-17-2019, 11:22 AM
This has been what I've seen as well for the past year shopping these boats. I don't know what part of the country people are getting 15% off on a new boat I've seen posted on here but I'd say I'd jump at that in a heartbeat lol. On top of the 5-10% off MSRP get the dealer to throw in some extras like ropes, maintenance services, fenders, etc.

For sure. I didn’t push discount bc I didn’t want to aggravate dealer over a few percent. I want to be the customer they want to take care of since they made some extra margin on me lol. Fighting for good service and warranty stuff would negate why I bought new in the first place.

BUT high mark up pro shop stuff, yeah hope they throw that stuff in :)

gsword
02-17-2019, 11:29 AM
There really should not be a difference from demo pricing versus used pricing of a similar boat with 41 hours on it.

I completely agree with you; however, I unfortunately can't find any used Max's available right now (let alone one with similar options) so I'm struggling to make an apples to apples comparision.

larry_arizona
02-17-2019, 11:55 AM
I completely agree with you; however, I unfortunately can't find any used Max's available right now (let alone one with similar options) so I'm struggling to make an apples to apples comparision.

Yes it would be a very limited used market on 2019’s. You could research 2018’s and extrapolate from there.

If it’s a boat you like and want, I certainly wouldn’t consider nickel diming a dealer over $1000-$2000.

haknslash
02-17-2019, 12:28 PM
For sure. I didn’t push discount bc I didn’t want to aggravate dealer over a few percent. I want to be the customer they want to take care of since they made some extra margin on me lol. Fighting for good service and warranty stuff would negate why I bought new in the first place.

BUT high mark up pro shop stuff, yeah hope they throw that stuff in :)

Yup my dealer is throwing in new fenders, lines and guide pole covers (another thing I didn't have to tack on the boat build site). That little boat stuff adds up and I'm glad I can toss my old crusty lines and fenders. They are also going to do 2 years of services as part of their boat show program, so that saves me some coin there too. I went with this brand mainly because it seemed great for the money but also because of the local dealer support which they have exceeded everything for me long before I ever bought the boat. They seem to really want to take care of their customers and to me that's going to go a long ways with the ownership with these kinds of boats, especially should any warranty stuff or issues arise. As mentioned I don't care to try and beat or lean on the dealer too much over a grand here or there if it means they will take care of me and make me feel wanted as a continued customer for years to come. If there is one thing I've learned while researching these boats is that your quality of dealer means almost more than the boat itself.

TXSurf4
02-17-2019, 03:17 PM
In the end you have to be happy with the price and whether you are or not you can always get them to sweeten the pot by adding some items that in the end don’t cost them a lot but save you some coin that can add up i.e. protective coatings/warranty (all dealers have them they just have different names), your first or first few services, a new 2018 left in stock board, and other things people have mentioned.

KnoxMojo
02-18-2019, 07:43 PM

We normally agree, but to counter. The demo boat should bring more than a used 41 hour boat. You're forgetting the demo boat will come with a full 5-7 year warranty and able to transfer twice. A used boat, the warranty has already started and can only transfer 1 once. That's worth something.

larry_arizona
02-18-2019, 08:30 PM
We normally agree, but to counter. The demo boat should bring more than a used 41 hour boat. You're forgetting the demo boat will come with a full 5-7 year warranty and able to transfer twice. A used boat, the warranty has already started and can only transfer 1 once. That's worth something.

Good points.

gsword
02-24-2019, 05:38 AM
My avatar is an edited picture I made. Originally that boat is ultra blue and black with the side graphics and different interior :D

I understand but the original picture is of the exact boat I bought. My understanding is that they used it for all of the pictures and videos for the 2019 model year before reconditioning it and selling it as a demo. Edited or not, if you could zoom in on the HIN, it would match my boat.

haknslash
02-24-2019, 10:24 AM
I understand but the original picture is of the exact boat I bought. My understanding is that they used it for all of the pictures and videos for the 2019 model year before reconditioning it and selling it as a demo. Edited or not, if you could zoom in on the HIN, it would match my boat.

That's pretty cool you're looking at a boat that was used in their marketing material. Did you end up buying the boat? If so congrats!!!

Kirby
02-24-2019, 01:11 PM
Buying a demo boat has to be better than finding a used boat that you have no idea how the people treated it. I would imagine THAT demo boat was well taken care of. I traded in a POS 2015 Ford last year that sent me to the dealer every 6 months. Now someone else has that Ford.

sandm
02-24-2019, 02:44 PM
don't just assume on condition of demo boats...
our first wakeboat was an '06 launch20ssv. it was the brochure boat for skiers choice for that model year. orange and white.
we bought it from a shop in spokane washington as a new never titled boat but had 90hrs on the clock in '07. it still had the wood pieces with boat registration on it that they would toss over the side as they were going from the marina to do photo shoots-they were left under the bow storage seats. take the wood plank off that hung off the grab rails and they can now shoot the boat with no registration on the side.

boat was in good shape but it was def. not pristine. it served us well for the years I had it and very reliable but I would not say it was a mint condition boat and of course when we went to sell it in '12 the fact that it was a brochure boat meant nothing in terms of resale. it's just another 7 year old boat with xx hours on it.

2 positives were factory warranty for us and rare for a launch20 of that year to have the upgraded ext340 engine.
these people sat in our boat :)
https://crm.skierschoice.com/files/image/06_launch20ssv.jpg

gsword
02-25-2019, 07:17 PM
That's pretty cool you're looking at a boat that was used in their marketing material. Did you end up buying the boat? If so congrats!!!

Yes, we bought it. Thanks.

gsword
02-25-2019, 07:38 PM
don't just assume on condition of demo boats...
our first wakeboat was an '06 launch20ssv. it was the brochure boat for skiers choice for that model year. orange and white.
we bought it from a shop in spokane washington as a new never titled boat but had 90hrs on the clock in '07. it still had the wood pieces with boat registration on it that they would toss over the side as they were going from the marina to do photo shoots-they were left under the bow storage seats. take the wood plank off that hung off the grab rails and they can now shoot the boat with no registration on the side.

boat was in good shape but it was def. not pristine. it served us well for the years I had it and very reliable but I would not say it was a mint condition boat and of course when we went to sell it in '12 the fact that it was a brochure boat meant nothing in terms of resale. it's just another 7 year old boat with xx hours on it.

2 positives were factory warranty for us and rare for a launch20 of that year to have the upgraded ext340 engine.
these people sat in our boat :)
https://crm.skierschoice.com/files/image/06_launch20ssv.jpg

These people sat in ours...

https://crm.skierschoice.com/files/image/2018/07/11/launch__0002_MY19_Moomba_MAX_Lifestyle_SIX6331_148 99.jpg

larry_arizona
02-25-2019, 08:29 PM
^^^That is a sharp max!!!

sandm
02-25-2019, 09:51 PM
agreed. blue has always been my first choice for boats. don't ask me how we ended up in orange :)

DFTR Josh
02-26-2019, 10:35 AM
Yes, we bought it. Thanks.
Congrats on the purchase! I just sold a customer a boat just like yours without the sticker package. I can't wait to see it unwrapped and in the sun.

KnoxMojo
02-28-2019, 05:38 PM
These people sat in ours...

https://crm.skierschoice.com/files/image/2018/07/11/launch__0002_MY19_Moomba_MAX_Lifestyle_SIX6331_148 99.jpg

That's Gordon Harrison in the driver's seat, Trevor Hansen on the swim deck and the blonde in the cabin standing up is my wife, lol.

johnh577777
02-28-2019, 07:34 PM
That's Gordon Harrison in the driver's seat, Trevor Hansen on the swim deck and the blonde in the cabin standing up is my wife, lol.

And who is in the front? Asking for a friend...

Joking of course.

I like the colors, I went with the dark blue flake.

MJHSupra
02-28-2019, 08:01 PM

If you are not working, do you to hang out on the ‘shoots’?

It would be cool to see the new stuff. I know SC does a pretty good job of not letting all the ‘secrets’ out of he bag before the release.

MJHSupra
02-28-2019, 08:09 PM
agreed. blue has always been my first choice for boats. don't ask me how we ended up in orange :)

sandm - orange boat question. All my boats are usually some shade of blue/navy/white or red/black/white.

On your resale of the orange boat, what was the feedback?

I was looking at a Supra with the Atomic Orange Metal Flake. Never owned an orange boat, but I do live in Knoxville.

Thanks

KnoxMojo
02-28-2019, 08:14 PM
And who is in the front? Asking for a friend...

Joking of course.

I like the colors, I went with the dark blue flake.

Haha, I can ask my wife, they are friends.

sandm
02-28-2019, 09:14 PM
MJH, it was tough to sell. I bought new in '07 as an '06. it had rough and tough 90 hours on it(demo/photo boat). traded it in summer '12. originally was going to go with MB as at that time moomba really didn't have a boat that was a good surf boat and supra has priced themself out of our market. it sat on the MB lot- also centurion/nautique/mc at the time- for 3 months and not a single offer. boat was clean, only had 280hours and loaded with the 340extcat motor and a huge stereo. part of the issue was 20ft and part was orange. priced at 33k. yanked it off their lot after 90 days. they would not take it on trade for more than 24k.
I traded it in at the local tige dealer on a 22ve. he was a new dealer trying to make a name for himself and wanted the 22ve sale so he took it on at, iirc, 32k. he ended up using it as the shop boat for the rest of the summer as the couple guys working there wakeboarded and that boat threw a great wave for that and was a breeze to tow. they ended up selling it late fall/early winter to a family up in sun valley and he told me he lost a few grand vs what I traded it in on so I am guessing it went for 29-30.
if it had been 22ft I think it would have sold quicker but a 20ft boat with a 94" beam for surfing was a tough sell. if it had been 22ft I'd still own it :)
we really liked the color as it was unique.

MJHSupra
02-28-2019, 09:44 PM
MJH, it was tough to sell. I bought new in '07 as an '06. it had rough and tough 90 hours on it(demo/photo boat). traded it in summer '12. originally was going to go with MB as at that time moomba really didn't have a boat that was a good surf boat and supra has priced themself out of our market. it sat on the MB lot- also centurion/nautique/mc at the time- for 3 months and not a single offer. boat was clean, only had 280hours and loaded with the 340extcat motor and a huge stereo. part of the issue was 20ft and part was orange. priced at 33k. yanked it off their lot after 90 days. they would not take it on trade for more than 24k.
I traded it in at the local tige dealer on a 22ve. he was a new dealer trying to make a name for himself and wanted the 22ve sale so he took it on at, iirc, 32k. he ended up using it as the shop boat for the rest of the summer as the couple guys working there wakeboarded and that boat threw a great wave for that and was a breeze to tow. they ended up selling it late fall/early winter to a family up in sun valley and he told me he lost a few grand vs what I traded it in on so I am guessing it went for 29-30.
if it had been 22ft I think it would have sold quicker but a 20ft boat with a 94" beam for surfing was a tough sell. if it had been 22ft I'd still own it :)
we really liked the color as it was unique.

Thanks!!!

BigOrange
03-01-2019, 09:43 AM
Thanks!!!

MJH, Some more info concerning the orange. Obviously, as a Tennessee fan I'm interested and drawn to orange and would think there should be plenty of folks in the Knox market with the same affinity. That being said, as I shopped for boats (I'll always only buy used) most of the stuff I saw was some combination of orange and black, which I didn't like as it was either some reminder of Harley Davidson schemes or just reminded me of Halloween. Recently, combos of Orange and grey or sliver flake started appearing and I think those are sweet! When I bought my Mojo from Denney's (KY around Dale Hollow) they were plugging for me to come back in a couple of years to trade for a Supra. I jokingly told them to get one in Orange and I'd do it. They said they had an orange boat a few years back and couldn't move it. That surprised me as I would think they serve just as many Tenn fans as KY fans wanting blue due to their location.

MJHSupra
03-01-2019, 01:37 PM
which I didn't like as it was either some reminder of Harley Davidson schemes or just reminded me of Halloween. Recently, combos of Orange and grey or sliver flake started appearing and I think those are sweet! When I bought my Mojo from Denney's (KY around Dale Hollow) they were plugging for me to come back in a couple of years to trade for a Supra. I jokingly told them to get one in Orange and I'd do it.

They said they had an orange boat a few years back and couldn't move it. That surprised me as I would think they serve just as many Tenn fans as KY fans wanting blue due to their location.

Thanks for the reply. At the most recent boat show, we talked about the same thing - orange and black > Harley and Halloween.

After talking with other dealers, I hear the same thing about orange - slow to move them or get people to look at them.

I was just talking to Chad from Denny's a few weeks ago, but that was on a gunmetal flake gray/black/red boat. Sounds like a good dude. Hear good comments from other buyers.

Also looked at an X30 MC from Cleveland TN. That owner had several orange flake boats and he always sold them. Vols fans from East TN I assume.

Too bad I'm a transplanted yank that supports Ohio State . . . . but I like that orange flake.

Matt0520
03-01-2019, 01:39 PM
O-H!

MJHSupra
03-01-2019, 01:48 PM
I-O! We will see what new coaching has in store for them.

sandm
03-01-2019, 04:35 PM
not a wakeboat but the dealer down the road from the mb dealer that tried to peddle mine had a blue/orange boat- don't recall the I/O brand but it sat for almost 2 years before it sold. and that was right in the middle of boise state's home town.

I loved the orange and we almost did it on the mb we had built to order but after seeing how long it took to peddle ours it would be a tough sell.

when shopping for our latest boat we had one here locally that was orange/white and we chose to ship in same year/same options/same hours boat for a few $$ more that is white/blue/green. that orange one took him almost 8 months to sell from first list to check in hand and he was priced lower than any other of that brand/model boat across the net.

patrick232
03-04-2019, 05:04 PM
You have one of the best dealers in Knoxville and they just sold a Orange SA I think. I've had a red/gray boat, an orange/white boat, and a blue/white boat on Norris and currently a blue / black. It's funny the red / gray went to a TN fan south of Cookeville TN, not sure where the orange/white went dealer sold, the blue/white went to PA (Penn State Fan)

gsword
03-04-2019, 08:42 PM
I-O! We will see what new coaching has in store for them.

I didn’t start this thread to read this crap. Go Blue.

Matt0520
03-04-2019, 08:57 PM
I didn’t start this thread to read this crap. Go Blue.

Lol!

larry_arizona
03-04-2019, 08:57 PM
Never understood the OH.....IO thing, are they bobcat fans?

haknslash
03-04-2019, 10:43 PM
What tha?..... Aw hell naw... ROLL TIDE!

I will have to be sure not to wear any Bama gear on the factory tour. Don't want my boat to have a Vol surprise stuffed somewhere :D