PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Supra SL

JoeMma
02-14-2019, 01:31 AM
Does anyone have the 2018 Supra SL, I am picking mine up in like three weeks.

1) Hows the wave for wakeboarding? Does it compete with the best out there, which models does it compete with?
2) Hows the wave for wakesurfing? Does it compete with the best out there, which models does it compete with?

There's not much in reviews for these boats, did companies stop reviewing boats in this day and age? Everytime I search for best surf or board boat the results are a joke.

Thanks !!!
JoeMama

shockthis
02-14-2019, 03:12 AM
I have a 2018 Supra SL, it seems like a lot of people are raving about them.
1) wakeboard wake is awesome, It is very similar to the G23 loaded ,Has more kick at the end compared to a SA, take some weight out and slow down you get a clean wake with at 17.5 mph
2) surf wake was better than a G23 if you are a skimmer, if you are a surf style guy you may have to run the pitch higher but will still compete with the G. My set up on the Sl was very Similar to a 18 xstar. I am not sure how it compares to a ri237

Mobius22
02-14-2019, 09:54 AM
Here's a good review by Wake 9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtRFp4FunlU&t=117s

MJHSupra
02-14-2019, 10:05 AM
There's not much in reviews for these boats, did companies stop reviewing boats in this day and age? Everytime I search for best surf or board boat the results are a joke.

You are looking for something that does not exist that gives 1 answer. But for info, it depends on where you go for information.

WakeWorld has a lot of brand loyal people. Hard to get a good answer there. But there are a few honest people on there.

If you as the Pros you might get a different answer by asking them VS having them publish something in a mag or website. They are sponsored. So do you think they will say anything bad about their sponsor?

If you go to Facebook Sites or Forums, most are a little biased b/c that is why those people are posting there. BUT there are people on both sites that have owned both boats and will give you an honest answer OR someone that spends a lot of time on both boats. That is what you need to find.

Most people compare the new Supra SE vs G23. Somebody was just asking the Supra SE vs G23 question on the Supra/Moomba Facebook page and there were many responses.

There are events like the west coast Polar Bear Event that get different boats and different riders to demo wake boats and surf boards. At the end of the event, there is not 1 answer on what is "best" The event is designed to offer the different flavors and get the different opinions from the riders. Not every boat is there. Robert, aka Ragboy who organizes the event gives very honest answers to questions on boats or wakes. He owns a Supra now, but gives good data on any boat he rides in. Also can find him on the Wake9 web site.

sandm
02-14-2019, 12:22 PM
the best wave out there is the boat you are happy with.....

ask 100 good riders. some will say the sl is better, some will say the g is better. all a matter of opinion. kind of like saying which is better, ferrari or lambo. both are amazing machines and either would be nice to own. each has things they do a little better than the other.

dakota4ce
02-14-2019, 01:31 PM
the best wave out there is the boat you are happy with.....

ask 100 good riders. some will say the sl is better, some will say the g is better. all a matter of opinion. kind of like saying which is better, ferrari or lambo. both are amazing machines and either would be nice to own. each has things they do a little better than the other.

I will say this: one is typically a lot more expensive than the other, for no practical reason. That one is hard to explain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandm
02-14-2019, 02:46 PM
Dakota, think of the same thing in the automotive world. zr1 vette will run with almost any lambo/ferrari around the track, 1/4 mile and skidpad tests. cost 1/3 the cash. but people still buy the ferrari for the looks at the gas station and prestige of owning one.

same thing with the G boats.

MJHSupra
02-14-2019, 02:49 PM
I will say this: one is typically a lot more expensive than the other, for no practical reason. That one is hard to explain.

You can take that to the bank or you may have to rob a bank to buy 'one'

larry_arizona
02-14-2019, 03:00 PM
Dakota, think of the same thing in the automotive world. zr1 vette will run with almost any lambo/ferrari around the track, 1/4 mile and skidpad tests. cost 1/3 the cash. but people still buy the ferrari for the looks at the gas station and prestige of owning one.

same thing with the G boats.

Good analogy, however I think a Pavati is aligned with lambo/Ferrari that requires FU money.

Supra/Moomba might be like Cadillac/Chevy or Lincoln/Ford?

Malibu Maybe Chrysler?

Feel free to EDIT as you see fit.

MJHSupra
02-14-2019, 03:08 PM
Good analogy, however I think a Pavati is aligned with lambo/Ferrari that requires FU money.

Supra/Moomba might be like Cadillac/Chevy or Lincoln/Ford?

Malibu Maybe Chrysler?

Feel free to EDIT as you see fit.

My view is anything north of 200K is FU money

larry_arizona
02-14-2019, 03:14 PM
My view is anything north of 200K is FU money

Are G23’s and X star’s north of $200k??

sandm
02-14-2019, 06:52 PM
msrp on stars and g25's are not hard to get north of 200k checking lots of boxes.

MTH17
02-14-2019, 07:03 PM

1) Hows the wave for wakeboarding? Does it compete with the best out there, which models does it compete with?
2) Hows the wave for wakesurfing? Does it compete with the best out there, which models does it compete with?

Thanks !!!
JoeMama

I've ridden the Supra SL, Supra SA, Nautique G23, G21, SAN230, Moomba Max, Mojo, Makai and Malibu 22 MXZ. Surfed and wakeboarded on all of them. I don't have just one favorite. The Supra SL, Nautique G23, and Moomba Makai were my favorites.

The Supra SL wave is big. And easy to setup. Just fill ballast, turn on surf, and turn on autowake. Start wakesurfing, give autowake a little time to adjust and you have a big wave with tons of push, tons of length (I could fall back well passed the length of the surf rope). The wake is just as impressive. The wake is big. It's got more lip than the Nautique boats. Nautique wakeboard wake has really smooth transitions. The Supra SL has slightly steeper transitions. The Makai had a wave almost like the SL. Not quite as large, but tons of push and length. The wake was really nice, just not as big as the SL or G23. The Malibu had a large wave with good push, but length didn't seem as nice as the SL.

If you're looking to compare apples to apples, you can't with these boats. The SL is going to throw you top of the line wakes and waves, no doubt about that. The fit and finish and creature comforts are all there too. You can't go wrong with a SL

mgswake
02-14-2019, 09:59 PM

Thanks !!!
JoeMama

Congrats on the purchase! I am sure you will love the boat. Curious as to why you are asking these questions after you bought it. Does it really matter if it is the best? It is what you have now. And, as others have said once you get to these top tier boats "best" becomes a relative term with much bias toward brand loyalty.