PDA

View Full Version : Will Godzilla replace the raptor?

larry_arizona
02-06-2019, 08:52 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/auto/2020-ford-f-series-super-duty-debuts-new-7-3-liter-v8.amp

Will be interesting if this 7.3l makes it into a wakeboat.

Personally prefer a “cam in block” vs Overhead cam.

Like the 6.2, but this could be the next Ford boat engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXSurf4
02-06-2019, 09:36 PM
Ya definitely interesting that they went back to a push rod!!

Also interesting that they are going to carry the 6.2 over as well. I wonder how long they will offer both...

sandm
02-06-2019, 10:38 PM
interesting. I would bet the larger block will be short lived in trucks and switch to the rv industry like the old v10 ford had.

Jeepers
02-06-2019, 11:00 PM
I’d rather see a 4cyl Cummins Turbo Diesel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

larry_arizona
02-06-2019, 11:07 PM
interesting. I would bet the larger block will be short lived in trucks and switch to the rv industry like the old v10 ford had.

It will be used in super duty but also the larger medium duty trucks.

Iron block pushrod engine makes perfect sense in a wake boat.

Broke Pilot
02-06-2019, 11:35 PM
Yep, who knew a pushrod V8 would make more power and be more reliable?!? Lol
If Indmar gets ahold of the new 7.3L and it becomes an option in the new SA, I’m gonna be first in line...

haknslash
02-06-2019, 11:39 PM
Great...... Just when I'm trying to get a new boat built. My luck I'll get a 2019 and then for 2020 they put in the Godzilla engine :eek:

MJHSupra
02-07-2019, 12:35 AM
I would doubt Indmar would be moving that quick on a new motor when the 6.2 is still being produced.

I assume companies like this get the ‘heads up’ when Ford plans on sun setting, so they can get enough testing and r&d completed.

I could be wrong . . .

I’m not a Ford guy, but I thought that 6.2 was released in the Raptor pickup 8-10 years ago?

SC started using them in 2015. So this would be the 5th year. That is not too long.

Cool read and the future sounds interesting!

TXSurf4
02-07-2019, 12:30 PM
https://i.imgur.com/kPvkGV8.jpg

Edo88
02-07-2019, 02:37 PM
Mustangs have what 3 cat converters on each side for emissions on a 5.0 I’m curious to see how they’re going to keep emissions in check with this beast. It’ll look like a diesel dpf system under the truck lol

Jeepers
02-07-2019, 04:01 PM
The reason indmar switched to the raptor 6.2 is the availability of blocks. When Ford moved nearly all F-150 and raptors over to the ECO Boost and 5.0 it left a huge inventory of 6.2L blocks that could be had for cheap.

larry_arizona
02-07-2019, 05:52 PM
It’s all speculation of course, but even if Godzilla get marinized , it won’t make be disappointed in owning a raptor at all.

MJHSupra
02-07-2019, 07:13 PM
My buddy has an older 24 Supra with the 8.1. That is a beast. Bring on the big motor.

jph3
02-15-2019, 12:19 AM
Looks like the small ecoboost got picked up by Indmar.

rdlangston13
02-15-2019, 07:29 AM
Looks like the small ecoboost got picked up by Indmar.

I saw this yesterday too. May be opening the door for the 3.5 in a wake platform maybe.

larry_arizona
02-15-2019, 07:58 AM
https://boatingindustry.com/news/2019/02/14/indmar-launches-ecoboost-marine-technology-in-engines/

Looks like the 2.3 EB is planned for wake boats......

350ft lbs and 310hp is impressive out of a 4 banger, but, it’s awfully light weight.

Still prefer a iron block V8 for several reasons but one reason is free ballast.

I guess the engine bay would be smaller and allow for bigger bags......

sandm
02-15-2019, 11:41 AM
I guess the engine bay would be smaller and allow for bigger bags......

I would hope that indmar has many hours of testing in real world applications prior to this announcement however I would have 2 main concerns and want several years of testing before I would buy one:

larry's comment above about smaller engine bays- turbos create heat. lots of it. would it really be smaller or taken up with either space for cooling or more radiators to keep them running chilled

and turbo spool. as the skier yells "hit it", what will that spool look like, especially slalom. twin turbos of differing sizes typically yield less turbo lag so interesting that they chose a single vs something like the bimmer inline6 that isn't so laggey.

one benefit tho would be a platform that the tuning community has an aftermarket for. it could open up options to move from 350hp to 450hp with some simple add-on's and tuning might not be proprietary anymore.

larry_arizona
02-15-2019, 12:10 PM
Based on indmar’s history of locking ECM’s I expect zero aftermarket tuning ability.

dakota4ce
02-15-2019, 03:05 PM
I would hope that indmar has many hours of testing in real world applications prior to this announcement however I would have 2 main concerns and want several years of testing before I would buy one:

larry's comment above about smaller engine bays- turbos create heat. lots of it. would it really be smaller or taken up with either space for cooling or more radiators to keep them running chilled

and turbo spool. as the skier yells "hit it", what will that spool look like, especially slalom. twin turbos of differing sizes typically yield less turbo lag so interesting that they chose a single vs something like the bimmer inline6 that isn't so laggey.

one benefit tho would be a platform that the tuning community has an aftermarket for. it could open up options to move from 350hp to 450hp with some simple add-on's and tuning might not be proprietary anymore.

The eco-boost 3.5 has very little spool, if any. Max torque at 2000 RPM. I have it in an exclamation it’s awesome. Very impressive if you asked me!

Edit: Sorry I didn’t realize the 2.3 was a single.

haknslash
02-15-2019, 08:34 PM
This article says Indmar plans to use the eco boost in a .....drum roll.... Jet drive called the "Ecojet"! https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/manufacturers/miami-2019-launch-ramp2

Broke Pilot
02-16-2019, 02:24 AM
I sure hope they don’t put an eco motor in a wake boat... I just don’t see how they’ll control the heat from the exhaust housings and down pipes. The regular 3.5 can make them glow red in a truck, not including the overboosted Raptor. Plus the boost spikes every time the boat hits a wave... I just don’t see how they can account for that when the boat is loaded down in the tune.
I was talking about it with e of the Rinkers guys this evening, I see lots of warranty claims and burned up boats in the future.

Jeepers
02-16-2019, 01:55 PM
That’s why marine engines utilize water cooled exhaust manifolds.

dakota4ce
02-16-2019, 02:24 PM
I would sure this would be pretty well thought out before it was ever put into the field? I doubt we just toss one into a boat and light it on fire.

Broke Pilot
02-16-2019, 05:16 PM
Glowing red hot metal and water don’t mix. And the exhaust manifold isn’t the problem, it’s the exhaust turbine housing and down pipe. To make these EcoBoost motors spool so quick, they use a tiny housing. Unfortunately that leads to a high drive pressure which makes extreme heat.
I’m not saying it can’t be done, I’d just need to see it work for a few years before I bought into it. You’d have so many water lines running thru the boat to keep everything cool, I feel like packaging would be an issue.
I’m all for ways to save gas as much surfing as we do, and I have no doubt this is where the industry is headed. I just wish boat makers would stop following automotive trends. Build a boat that works and people will buy it.

Broke Pilot
02-16-2019, 05:24 PM
I would sure this would be pretty well thought out before it was ever put into the field? I doubt we just toss one into a boat and light it on fire.

Just remember, FoMoCo ‘tested’ the 6.0 and 6.4 power stroke for years (and decided they were good?!?), as replacements to the 7.3. They were the worst, most unreliable motors in history. Lol
The EcoBoost doesn’t have a great track record yet either. High strung turbo motors don’t last, never have, never will. I hope indmar puts some time into it... otherwise I see nothing but warranty claims in their future.

sandm
02-16-2019, 05:52 PM
broke, depends on the application. 4g63 in mitsu's can take up to 34psi from factory(ask me I know :) ) with nothing more than replacing the head studs with arp's and are known for well north of 100k miles if you change the oil regularly.

I am 100% in your camp tho that I don't see them as a long term solution and think it'll be a fuel economy play that will be a fad. I think i'd have to see 5+ years in a boat application with success before I'd pull the trigger.

what I don't get is the claim for greatly reduced install times. maybe on the repair side with more room to work around but most manuf. are installing them early in the process where the cavern is wide open. might save say 5min a boat in a few less nuts and bolts but bet most manuf. would find more efficiencies tightening up long break times from workers than savings like this..

dakota4ce
02-16-2019, 06:00 PM
Most 6.0s ran without a hitch. It was not nearly as bad as the world makes it out to be. Lotta hype. But they did come up with some bad problems for the unlucky ones.

My friend runs a diesel performance shop—says same. Lotsa “bulletproofing” happens even though the motor was fine. My dad heavy hauled a few 6.0s with zero issues. But what shall be shall be. I have personally loved the 3.5. It’s a marvel. But there are issues with the first gen motor, on fairly infrequent occasion. Now they mixed the fuel injection which takes the buildup issue away. They’re strong little motors.

I am just saying—boats on fire? I would think turbo cooling would be engineering issue number one. You’re driving around on a huge cooling reservoir for Pete’s sake!

But everyone will poopoo the idea.

Small diesels would be neato but there is zero diesel fuel on the inland water.

Anyway, I think the future will be pretty damn cool to watch!

rdlangston13
02-17-2019, 10:00 AM
Most ecoboost issues are timing chain tensioners making noise (corrected around the 2015 model year) and condensation building up in the intercooler (corrected about the same time). The motors themselves are pretty stout and really the only ones I have heard of blowing up are ones that were tuned to the extreme and being drag raced. There are plenty of 3.5 EBs north of 100,000 miles on them that have been regular haulers. Ours has about 80,000 on it and the only issue we have had is a leaking water pump.

Broke Pilot
02-17-2019, 03:53 PM
My brothers shops numbers for 2018 came out a week or so ago. Since the eco was released, the f150 has made him the most money every year lol. And before that is was the 4.6 v8 f150. I’ll see if I can get a copy.
Like I said, not against it, I’d just need to see it work for a long time before I jumped in.
I’m with Dakota, the future will be interesting to watch, from my 6.2 Raptor!
Or a LS powered centurion if the raptor ever starts acting up. Lmao

dakota4ce
02-17-2019, 03:56 PM
My brothers shops numbers for 2018 came out a week or so ago. Since the eco was released, the f150 has made him the most money every year lol. And before that is was the 4.6 v8 f150. I’ll see if I can get a copy.
Like I said, not against it, I’d just need to see it work for a long time before I jumped in.

I would also imagine he has an absolute butt load of those motors out there and they are working hard in a lot of cases?

TXSurf4
02-17-2019, 04:08 PM
Those numbers might also correlate to it being the #1 seller for Ford. I also agree that I would rather the 6.2 Raptor for now. Might be interesting to see the 7.3 in a few years though.....

rdlangston13
02-17-2019, 04:52 PM

Not surprised Ford makes him the most money, they are the most common half ton trucks in the country. More trucks equals more trucks getting worked on.

Jeepers
02-17-2019, 07:37 PM
Glowing red hot metal and water don’t mix. And the exhaust manifold isn’t the problem, it’s the exhaust turbine housing and down pipe. To make these EcoBoost motors spool so quick, they use a tiny housing. Unfortunately that leads to a high drive pressure which makes extreme heat.
I’m not saying it can’t be done, I’d just need to see it work for a few years before I bought into it. You’d have so many water lines running thru the boat to keep everything cool, I feel like packaging would be an issue.
I’m all for ways to save gas as much surfing as we do, and I have no doubt this is where the industry is headed. I just wish boat makers would stop following automotive trends. Build a boat that works and people will buy it.

They’ve been using water cooled exhaust turbines on marine diesel engines for years. I don’t think it will a problem. I’m still not a fan on the eco boost motor for many reasons. It’s all about low-end torque.

rdlangston13
02-18-2019, 07:16 AM
They’ve been using water cooled exhaust turbines on marine diesel engines for years. I don’t think it will a problem. I’m still not a fan on the eco boost motor for many reasons. It’s all about low-end torque.

Not a fan of the ecoboost because its all about low end torque? That's something you don't hear every day.

larry_arizona
02-18-2019, 08:14 AM
The 3.5EB makes peak torque at 2250rpm and has a broad flat torque curve. This is a byproduct of tiny twin snails.

Most guys trying to make BIG horsepower say in a V8 application opt for 64mm+ twin turbos and those suck for low end torque

jph3
02-18-2019, 11:41 AM
I had 185k on my 3.5 (with a light tune) when I sold it. I was impressed with the power from that motor, but not the fuel economy. That said, I have driven the smaller EB motor and it makes sense it’s going in a jet drive.

rdlangston13
12-10-2019, 11:01 AM
I had 185k on my 3.5 (with a light tune) when I sold it. I was impressed with the power from that motor, but not the fuel economy. That said, I have driven the smaller EB motor and it makes sense it’s going in a jet drive.

The smaller EB from the F150 is not going in the jet drive. I think this is the one from like the Mustang and the small SUVs.

larry_arizona
12-10-2019, 11:25 AM
It’s the 4 cyl 2.3 EB, the F150’s use the V6 2.7EB and 3.5EB

sandm
12-10-2019, 12:59 PM
wow. someone's bored posing in 10 month old threads :)

MJHSupra
12-10-2019, 08:31 PM
No Ford . . . https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191211/38dbfbf1f3054d1c3c98bb35dde2c144.jpg

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk