PDA

View Full Version : Drive shaft Strut bearing

Yellowmobius
06-20-2003, 09:15 AM
I will try again.

This has to do with the recent vibes I have been experiencing mostly under load. I have inspected the prop and drive shaft. I even bought a new ss prop which helped however the vibe is still there. I have notice a very small of play between teh drive shaft and the strut. Is that normal or should that be solid- no play at all. I would think so. I would say there is 1/32 to 1/16 inch vertical play.

Catdog1
06-20-2003, 10:37 PM
I don't know the spec on this.

Mine has increased in vibration each year and I think it is the rubber lined cutlass bearing. It makes sense.

But, I can't figure out how to replace it. I have replacements in hand but was afraid I would have to re-align the shaft and I don't know how to do that either.

Catdog1
09-03-2003, 11:55 PM
Am now finally ready to attempt to replace the strut bearing on 99 outback. Vibration is intermittent at light load and 1/3 throttle, and must be coming from strut bearing.

Been a while since we discussed this topic.

Think I can disconnect and remove shaft, tap out old bearing, tap in new one, replace shaft.

Anybody else done it or had it done? Tips?

jwilson
09-07-2003, 02:29 PM
I have replaced the drive shaft bushings in my 2000 Outback, also had done it on my 88 Malibu Skier- here is a tip: remove shaft, (will not change alignment) pull shaft, use a bushing removal tool, or a round metal washer just the same OD as the bushing. Drive out the bushing with a short rod and hammer. Tip: take your old bushing (usually two) to your local bearing distributor- look in the yellow pages under bearings. the most common ones are made by goodyear, you can buy them for one third the Dealer cost. The part number is on the outside surface of the bushing, easy to see once it is removed. The bushings are usually brass with a rubber compound lining, and have grooves to allow water to flow through for lubrication. It is easy to lose a bushing if you run over your ski rope, like I do when not being careful!

Catdog1
09-08-2003, 05:23 AM
Thanks for these tips. Its really making a lot of noise now and I've got to fix it.

Yellowmobius
09-08-2003, 07:16 AM
So is there a certian number of hours a guys can expect the bushing to make it?