PDA

View Full Version : MAX Ballast ?

xjpeex
01-29-2019, 07:13 PM
I have an 18 MAX with the G6 ballast. The WakeMAKERS upgrade is 1K $$ is there a way to buy a smaller bag and plumb and stack it on top of the factory bag? Is it acceptable to do that?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

DFTR Josh
01-29-2019, 08:34 PM
Save up and go the correct route.

Stazi
01-29-2019, 08:59 PM
If you put a ballast bag on top of another bag, it will push the water out of the bag underneath due to its weight, unless you use the overflow of the bottom bag to feed the upper bag.

But this solution is ghetto and could cause the upper bag to roll off and crash the engine diver panels and seriously fuck up your engine.

Do it right. You spent $80+k on a boat, don’t skimp out on $1k and cost yourself another $5k in repairing damage.

Buy once, cry once!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandm
01-29-2019, 09:43 PM
Buy once, cry once!

I did this as MLA sold me the bag for my last boat upgrade and all the hoses/pumps. it was painful but best money I spent on that boat ever. made the surf wave night and day......

agree 100% do it once.

flienlow
01-29-2019, 10:26 PM
If you put a ballast bag on top of another bag, it will push the water out of the bag underneath due to its weight, unless you use the overflow of the bottom bag to feed the upper bag.

But this solution is ghetto and could cause the upper bag to roll off and crash the engine diver panels and seriously fuck up your engine.

Do it right. You spent $80+k on a boat, don’t skimp out on $1k and cost yourself another $5k in repairing damage.

Buy once, cry once!

What does one need to buy for the max? I read ENZO bags, but how sure how they would fit from looking at the Max I saw?

FamilyMan
01-29-2019, 11:18 PM
anybody have pictures of the new wake makers bags installed...or just in general? Im curious to see what they did to get over the hump. Just presuming a couple of connections that go through the hump?

Stazi
01-29-2019, 11:48 PM
anybody have pictures of the new wake makers bags installed...or just in general? Im curious to see what they did to get over the hump. Just presuming a couple of connections that go through the hump?

I think guys were drilling a hole through the divider to connect to a bag under the side seats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FamilyMan
01-30-2019, 12:47 AM
I think guys were drilling a hole through the divider to connect to a bag under the side seats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ahhh....I thought there were rumors that 2019s were coming with pass-through holes stock. Maybe not unfortunately.

NickWray
01-30-2019, 04:02 AM
I can’t figure out why the 2018 exact fit bags are $999.99 and the 2019 exact fit bags are $1,499.99. Both show to be 1800 lbs...

Texmoomba810
01-30-2019, 08:19 AM
I can’t figure out why the 2018 exact fit bags are $999.99 and the 2019 exact fit bags are $1,499.99. Both show to be 1800 lbs...

I noticed the same thing. Another thing i didnt get was why the rear bags in that kit are same as stock 1k. Theres a guy on this forum who put the 1280s rear and plumbed 800s midship. There are some posts on here that talk about his install

z28ke
01-30-2019, 09:04 AM
In a few days I’ll be posting up an install of 720’s piggybacking off the stock rear bags like Boonejeepin and some others have done. Total cost of around $600 give or take. I’ll post a link to that in this thread once I finish it up.

As far as wakemakers goes: I was debating on ordering their kit for $1000, but they refused to send me install instructions without ordering the kit first, which motivated me to do it myself and save some money. The tech guy told me no holes have to be drilled on a 2018, but I don’t see how that is possible. I still ordered everything from them for my install so no hard feelings or anything like that.

NickWray
01-30-2019, 11:35 AM
I noticed the same thing. Another thing i didnt get was why the rear bags in that kit are same as stock 1k. Theres a guy on this forum who put the 1280s rear and plumbed 800s midship. There are some posts on here that talk about his install

Wonder if the 1280’s will work with the rear storage trays offered on the 2019? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190130/4e554a411b18a28756e2040ffbf5f547.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190130/d2a4a2aefb68ba234a1712b480086d1c.jpg

NickWray
01-30-2019, 11:44 AM
In a few days I’ll be posting up an install of 720’s piggybacking off the stock rear bags like Boonejeepin and some others have done. Total cost of around $600 give or take. I’ll post a link to that in this thread once I finish it up.

As far as wakemakers goes: I was debating on ordering their kit for $1000, but they refused to send me install instructions without ordering the kit first, which motivated me to do it myself and save some money. The tech guy told me no holes have to be drilled on a 2018, but I don’t see how that is possible. I still ordered everything from them for my install so no hard feelings or anything like that.

Heck yeah post up as detailed instructions, pictures and videos as possible! Their tech guy wouldn’t/couldn’t give me much information on price difference from the 2018 to 2019 exact fit bags other than the 19’s were for g6 pumps. He also didn’t have an explanation when I said I thought g6 was an option on the 18’s as well, so he wouldn’t/couldn’t even tell me if the 18’s work with g6. Super nice guy though, so no hard feelings on my end! I just want to know what I’d be paying $500 extra dollars for!

Matt0520
01-30-2019, 12:44 PM
Ahhh....I thought there were rumors that 2019s were coming with pass-through holes stock. Maybe not unfortunately.

The ones I saw at the show didn't have the pass through (that I saw)

But for other models they finally did reinforce the rear panels! No need anymore for the wakemakers support kits.

flienlow
01-30-2019, 01:13 PM
The ones I saw at the show didn't have the pass through (that I saw)

But for other models they finally did reinforce the rear panels! No need anymore for the wakemakers support kits.

I just came from the seattle show, and from the boat I saw, holes will need to be drilled.

NOW... They do the exact same thing on the Makai where there are ballast bags under the middle seats. I wonder if a moomba dealer could put this together or if one could get the parts from fly-high?

You would need hose, clamps, flanges (to do it pretty) and of course the bags. The one question I would have is where the bag would exhaust?

z28ke
01-30-2019, 02:08 PM
I just came from the seattle show, and from the boat I saw, holes will need to be drilled.

NOW... They do the exact same thing on the Makai where there are ballast bags under the middle seats. I wonder if a moomba dealer could put this together or if one could get the parts from fly-high?

You would need hose, clamps, flanges (to do it pretty) and of course the bags. The one question I would have is where the bag would exhaust?

You “T” it into the factory vent line. I’m adding a check valve for each vent as well. I’ll cover all that when I get it finished. I even got flanges to finish off the holes through the stringer. I’ll put up a parts list as well (got everything from wakemakers except the flanges which came from eBay).

FamilyMan
01-30-2019, 03:44 PM

Yep, agree. Glad they made them....but for $500 easily just add the 40x20x20 720s and have essentially the same thing. Just be smarter than me and wear a mask when drilling the fiberglass....I didn't realize that stuff gets everywhere when drilling the pass through wholes and I can't imagine its great for the lungs.

FamilyMan
01-30-2019, 04:01 PM

I guess it isn't the prettiest way to exhaust it, but I just put hose from the top of the bag (with a 90 deg elbow quick disconnect) and spliced it into the rear exhaust with a y fitting. Also added a check valve after they spliced (distal to the Y) since the stock system didn't have any check valves.

flienlow
01-30-2019, 04:53 PM
You “T” it into the factory vent line. I’m adding a check valve for each vent as well. I’ll cover all that when I get it finished. I even got flanges to finish off the holes through the stringer. I’ll put up a parts list as well (got everything from wakemakers except the flanges which came from eBay).

Are you sure you want a check value? how do you get air back in the bag to deflate it?

Stazi
01-30-2019, 05:01 PM
Are you sure you want a check value? how do you get air back in the bag to deflate it?

All overflows from the rear bags should have a check valve. It helps the pumps suck the bags empty and flat. You don’t want air getting into them and causing an airlock in the pumps.

BUT! You can’t put a check valve on a front bow bag that piggy-backs of a hard center tank! If you do, you will try to oil can the tank and damage it.

haknslash
01-30-2019, 07:34 PM
Wonder if the 1280’s will work with the rear storage trays offered on the 2019? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190130/4e554a411b18a28756e2040ffbf5f547.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190130/d2a4a2aefb68ba234a1712b480086d1c.jpg

I'd like to know this as well. No sense in me spending the money optioning my build for the trays when I could use the same money towards the FAE.

haknslash
01-30-2019, 08:12 PM

That would be awesome of you to post up your install. I have a spare 750 lb fly high fat sac laying around and was thinking of using it in the Max if it will fit under the middle seats and able to piggyback off the rear bags. The bag I have measures 50x20x20. It was a cheap bag so hoping it would work and I could get another for the other side. The Wakemakers kit for the Max is $$$.

z28ke
01-30-2019, 09:02 PM
I'd like to know this as well. No sense in me spending the money optioning my build for the trays when I could use the same money towards the FAE.

Man the trays are one of the best options on the max, we bought two soft coolers that fit in them to help keep the floor clear.

Kirby
01-30-2019, 11:21 PM
My dealer is adding 1k ballast to the rear and told me the trays won't fit so I didn't order them. There should be a little room so I'm going to find some stretchy mesh or something similar so I can still use the space.

FamilyMan
01-30-2019, 11:36 PM
Man the trays are one of the best options on the max, we bought two soft coolers that fit in them to help keep the floor clear.

Thats not a bad idea at all. Currently put one of those soft shelled yeti-like bags behind the drivers seat to serve as a cooler. Could put a much larger one in the compartment. Currently have 10 rolled towels in the starboard one and 10 life vests in the port side.

flienlow
01-31-2019, 10:58 AM
So we should order a max with rear trays?

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

larry_arizona
01-31-2019, 11:20 AM
Personally I would opt for just engine tray and use the side lockers for biggest bags that fit.

z28ke
02-03-2019, 01:59 PM
My install as promised:

Murder Max Mods
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=27865&share_tid=31541&share_pid=336780&url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Emoomba%2Ecom%2Fshowpost% 2Ephp%3Fp%3D336780&share_type=t

Post #98 in my Murder Max Mods thread if that link doesn’t work