PDA

View Full Version : North Houston Lake Access

RC_Hinojosa
01-21-2019, 09:49 AM
To all my greater Houston area peeps....

Do you know of any new construction communities in the Northern Houston area?

There are a couple within minutes of the brand new ExxonMobile campus by Trendmaker & David Weekly but the elevations are very cookie cutter and boring. Looking to build something modern/contemporary.

Lake Houston/Lake Conroe access would be a +1

TXSurf4
01-21-2019, 11:11 AM
Man it is hard to find things that aren't cookie cutter these day LOL!! That whole on the west side of Lake Houston seemed pretty nice when I demoed the boat out there! Unfortunately everything I know is probably a little too Northwest for where you are looking.

Cactus371
01-21-2019, 08:00 PM
There is a lot in Lake shadows on the east side of lake Houston. It’s the last one on the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broke Pilot
01-22-2019, 12:56 AM
Not much new in Conroe except that neighborhood they’re building on the south loop. Nice area, but it’s quieter the north side by me.
Look at estates of wedgewood, that’s where I am

RC_Hinojosa
01-22-2019, 03:37 PM
There is a lot in Lake shadows on the east side of lake Houston. It’s the last one on the lake.

Not much new in Conroe except that neighborhood they’re building on the south loop. Nice area, but it’s quieter the north side by me.

Thanks guys, I'll check'em out!

z28ke
01-23-2019, 04:27 PM
Here is how I’m doing mine:

Murder Max Mods
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=27865&share_tid=31541&share_pid=336118&url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Emoomba%2Ecom%2Fshowpost% 2Ephp%3Fp%3D336118&share_type=t

Does anyone have pics of the Supra hinges that open towards the bow?

z28ke
01-23-2019, 04:56 PM
^^^Not sure why/how this posted in this thread?

Broke Pilot
01-23-2019, 10:53 PM
Way to go... you ruined everything.... lol
How’s the search going RC?

cpropes2005
01-24-2019, 09:06 AM
This subdivision in Magnolia looks pretty sweet. Acre plus lots and private ski lakes.

https://www.har.com/32418-tall-oaks-way/sale_84506812

Looks like that one is pending but might be something to keep an eye on.

Prospersigman
01-24-2019, 09:42 AM
That's balling right there...

Pound
01-24-2019, 09:47 AM
Wow, I looked at Thousand Oaks way back when I used to slalom ski. I can’t believe they still have lots available.
Edit: to be clear, back then I could not afford to live there, lol.

Fastest1
01-24-2019, 10:23 AM

Ever eat at Cedar Lodge? Went there for lunch yesterday. Not bad at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fastest1
01-24-2019, 10:28 AM
I live in Red Oak Ranch.
Depending on what you are needing. Thousand Oaks is ok, Lake Windcrest would be nicer. Either of the Sendera’s Lake or Ranch. Lake Creek Forest has a few lots left.
After being an inner looper for 50 years, I am loving the acreage, I have 5. The wildlife is nice though the impending development will eliminate that too soon.

rdlangston13
01-24-2019, 12:54 PM
Personally I would much rather live in Conroe than Lake Houston. Seems like Lake Houston is constantly flooding and it’s just so full of trash and has too many sketchy areas.

Broke Pilot
01-24-2019, 02:48 PM
A pilot buddy of mine lives back there in Thousand Oaks. The lake isn’t very deep and has lots of restrictions. There are some nice places back there, but FM1488 traffic is terrible.

Fastest1
01-24-2019, 02:52 PM
A pilot buddy of mine lives back there in Thousand Oaks. The lake isn’t very deep and has lots of restrictions. There are some nice places back there, but FM1488 traffic is terrible.

Though I agree about the traffic. It does appear they enlarging Fish Creek thru to 105/ Lake Conroe. Also 2978 is finally being enlarged.
I do have a back entrance to Carriage Hills that saves me 6 miles over leaving my front door thru Old Conroe Rd ;-)
I am not a fan of Lake Conroe any more than Lake Houston. They will do in an emergency but I like rock bottom and clearer water.

Broke Pilot
01-24-2019, 06:12 PM
No I still haven’t eaten there... we’ve been meaning to, I’m just never home.
Fish creek is infuriating. Lol the speed limit is ridiculous, I’m always worried about getting pulled over. Lol

RC_Hinojosa
01-25-2019, 02:11 PM
How’s the search going RC?

Still early in the search process...I start at ExxonMobil on Monday so for now I'll just commute on 99.

Gonna start checking things out in earnest soon...my mom lives in Cypress so ideally we'd move in with her for a bit while we sell our home and start construction.

TXSurf4
01-25-2019, 02:21 PM
Still early in the search process...I start at ExxonMobil on Monday so for now I'll just commute on 99.

Gonna start checking things out in earnest soon...my mom lives in Cypress so ideally we'd move in with her for a bit while we sell our home and start construction.

Nice!! You'll be in my neck of the woods. We are basically cypress as we are at the corner of 99 and 290. Are they doing a lot of hiring over there at Exxon?

RC_Hinojosa
01-25-2019, 03:06 PM
Nice!! You'll be in my neck of the woods. We are basically cypress as we are at the corner of 99 and 290. Are they doing a lot of hiring over there at Exxon?I think they are in a bit of a hiring boom depending on your vertical market or industry niche.

I am a GIS Architect tasked with designing & deploying geospatial applications across the Enterprise. Pipeline & Land are my first priorities, then SCADA, Operations, Business Continuity, EHS&R, and others.

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk

Prospersigman
01-25-2019, 05:41 PM
English please....

RC_Hinojosa
01-25-2019, 06:31 PM
English please....[emoji1787] Ahem, sorry. Location based analytics....

RC_Hinojosa
01-28-2019, 09:27 AM
Anybody know the garage header height necessary to clear a Craz/Mojo with the Roswell A3 tower??

TXSurf4
01-28-2019, 11:33 AM
Anybody know the garage header height necessary to clear a Craz/Mojo with the Roswell A3 tower??

The 2018 & 2019 Owner's Manuals both show heights on trailer to be 123" with tower up and 94" Tower down. For some reason the 2017 Owner's Manual doesn't show anything but with both the 18 & 19 being the same I think it is safe to assume that 17 would be as well. I would say if you are going tower up at least 11', tower down an 8' header would be supper tight :eek: especially with the little lip at the front of the garage so I would say 8.5'. Are you trying to get it into an existing or building a new one?

RC_Hinojosa
01-28-2019, 11:48 AM
The 2018 & 2019 Owner's Manuals both show heights on trailer to be 123" with tower up and 94" Tower down. For some reason the 2017 Owner's Manual doesn't show anything but with both the 18 & 19 being the same I think it is safe to assume that 17 would be as well. I would say if you are going tower up at least 11', tower down an 8' header would be supper tight :eek: especially with the little lip at the front of the garage.Thanks! I'd be tower down so ideally I need an 8 1/2' Header....

I'm looking at Toll Brothers in North Grove (Magnolia) and they seem pretty amenable to raising the header for me and the garage will have 35' of depth.

8 months for the build...we'll see how things shake out this week...

TXSurf4
01-28-2019, 11:54 AM
Thanks! I'd be tower down so ideally I need an 8 1/2' Header....

I'm looking at Toll Brothers in North Grove (Magnolia) and they seem pretty amenable to raising the header for me and the garage will have 35' of depth.

8 months for the build...we'll see how things shake out this week...

Ya I mean if you are building I would say 8.5' minimum if not 9'. At 8.5' you would probably have to go with a Jack Shaft opener to not have the arm that connects the door to the chain/belt hanging down and affecting any clearances.

RC_Hinojosa
01-28-2019, 11:57 AM
Ya I mean if you are building I would say 8.5' minimum if not 9'. At 8.5' you would probably have to go with a Jack Shaft opener to not have the arm that connects the door to the chain/belt hanging down and affecting any clearances.Good call. 9' feet for the header, I believe the ceiling in the garage is already 10'.

I'm excited at the prospect of ditching my storage unit [emoji16]

rdlangston13
01-28-2019, 05:19 PM
35’ deep garage? That would be amazing!

RC_Hinojosa
01-28-2019, 11:10 PM
35’ deep garage? That would be amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt's the Quinton model from Toll Brothers. Nothing is signed in blood yet but this is what we're looking at building...

Depending on which lot we choose, I could also do a bump out and increase the garage width without adding another bay.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190129/450e09a31aaacbe2c39f7829cd70c2e5.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190129/01e001a6f995f294b5c64c35a3678a98.jpg

TXSurf4
01-29-2019, 12:27 AM
Looks like a great floor plan!

RC_Hinojosa
01-29-2019, 10:22 AM
Looks like a great floor plan!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThanks!

Two story homes have a much more efficient lot footprint but just about all of them have the master downstairs and all the other bedrooms upstairs....that is a deal breaker for the Mrs with our 1yr old.

TXSurf4
01-29-2019, 11:49 PM
RC when you did your build did you get factory pictures from Rinker’s or from the contact you listed on your thread?

RC_Hinojosa
01-30-2019, 12:11 AM
RC when you did your build did you get factory pictures from Rinker’s or from the contact you listed on your thread?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI got build pictures from Chris C at SC and from Jim @ Rinker's.

TXSurf4
01-30-2019, 08:50 AM
I got build pictures from Chris C at SC and from Jim @ Rinker's.

Did you call or email Chris C?

RC_Hinojosa
01-30-2019, 09:56 AM
Did you call or email Chris C?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI emailed him, he's super friendly.

RC_Hinojosa
02-06-2019, 01:11 PM
For you guys that have done new construction...other than a garage to accommodate our SC whips, are there any things you wish you had a chance to add or change??

This will be the second house we've built from the ground up and we learned a lot after the first go round but hindsight is always 20/20.

I think we are pretty solid on our structural options but still need to ID things like electrical outlets, speaker wiring, etc.

We are scheduled to tour the design center next week ($$$)

High on my list are an industrial range (I love to cook for my family) and a 6ft freestanding tub in the master.

There are just tons of things to add now that would be a bitch after the fact.

Do I really need a pot filler over the stove? No
Will it make life easier for the Mrs? Yes

Any input is appreciated....it's way easier to cull the list early than add once build has started.

Broke Pilot
02-06-2019, 04:47 PM
Biggest thing for me was make sure they run multiple cable lines into the house. Nothing more frustrating than using Dish or Direct for the TV service and only having one coax cable into junction box. The satellite into the house will use the coax and then make it a nightmare for any cable internet. (Make sure the junction box is big enough for a Ethernet switch also and has power, most boxes built in are narrow and it’s hard to fit the plugs)
Luckily our new trailerhood has fiber optic, so it wasn’t a huge deal on this house.
Sometimes it’s the littlest frustrations.
Like my office, we sat and tried to lay out on paper where the desk would sit to put in good power outlets and Ethernet plugs. But you’ve gotta take into account closet doors, and things also. Lol we screwed up the outlets in the office for the desk. Make sure you know what kind of doors and which direction they open when placing things.
Don’t stress too bad! It takes the fun out of it all... you’re getting a new house built closer to the lake!

MJHSupra
02-07-2019, 12:57 AM
A hot water spigot in the garage for a hose hook-up.

Find out how many and where the cold water ones will be on the outside walls. Sometimes they will put them in dumb locations or too low to the ground.

MJHSupra
02-07-2019, 12:59 AM
Gas line on the back of the house for a grill on the deck or patio.

MJHSupra
02-07-2019, 01:04 AM
Depending if you are building on a slab, crawl-space, or basement, installing an outlet in the floor in the living area/family area.

Depending on the size of the room, height of ceiling, and how the furniture sits, it hides any cords from tables are not by a wall outlet.

MJHSupra
02-07-2019, 01:17 AM
If you have a wet bar area, install or have the area plumbed for an ice maker. They are awesome.

RC_Hinojosa
02-07-2019, 10:15 AM
A hot water spigot in the garage for a hose hook-up.

Find out how many and where the cold water ones will be on the outside walls. Sometimes they will put them in dumb locations or too low to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkCan you elaborate on the hot water in the garage?

It wouldn't be an issue since the laundry room & dog wash (we have two big labs) would be adjacent....

Gas stub to the extended covered patio is included...

We had already thought of a wine/beverage chiller in the wet bar area but an icemaker would be super helpful.

Definitely gonna have a floor outlet in the great room, outlet and conduit for HDMI over fireplace.

TXSurf4
02-07-2019, 11:05 AM
We just built our's less than 2 years ago so I can look back at my notes but off the top of my head:

Full sink plumb out in the garage for a utility sink is nice.

Excessive Lighting in the garage is a must if you enjoy working in there. I have a total of 6 - 2 Bulb 4' fluorescent lights in my 3 car garage on 3 different switches so you don't have to have all of them on at the same time.

Outlets all over the garage and a couple over your work bench area if you have one. Typically builders will only do 1 or 2 and that is not near enough.

A freezer outlet in your garage if you want to put a fridge out there.

I also put 2 outlets up high near the ceiling on a switch for wall mounted fans in my garage. Texas heat is brutal and they help.

TV set up on the patio.

Pre-wiring for cameras and Christmas lights if you want

Also you should be able to do conduit and outlets for wall mounted TVs so you don't have to drill holes and fish for wires later. That is nice too.

A lot of it is just frills but it is cheap to do now as opposed to having it done after but it can add up $.

Also if you want outlets with USBs just do them yourself as you can buy 3 for the price that they want to do 1.

^Same for cabinet hardware.

RC_Hinojosa
02-07-2019, 11:34 AM
I also put 2 outlets up high near the ceiling on a switch for wall mounted fans in my garage. Texas heat is brutal and they help.

TV set up on the patio.

This is awesome...I completely forgot about wall mounted fans in the garage...I want one for sure pointed at the interior of the boat keeping things dry.

Good call on the patio, had already planned on speaker wiring but TV will be nice too.

Shoebox
02-07-2019, 11:59 AM
For the garage, wire it for at least 2 220v outlets - compressor and welder. Even if you don't have one or either now, 220 is good to have.

TXSurf4
02-07-2019, 12:26 PM
For the garage, wire it for at least 2 220v outlets - compressor and welder. Even if you don't have one or either now, 220 is good to have.

220s in the garage are great! I did this exact setup with 2, one for my compressor and one for a welder some day.

Also when they do your main run from the box to the house make sure they stay in the utility easement. This is something you think would be common sense but I had to make sure they did because I had seen and still see it done where they do the shortest route from A to B and it cuts through peoples back yard diagonally. So if they ever go to put a pool or anything in the yard they will have to have it rerun at their cost. I told them if I cant build in the utility easement then they sure as hell better keep the utilities in it. They wanted to charge me more because they had to use twice as much cable and had to increase the gauge but I don't remember if that was because of the length or extra 200s or both. Either way I didn't end up paying for it.

RC_Hinojosa
02-07-2019, 12:59 PM
220s in the garage are great! I did this exact setup with 2, one for my compressor and one for a welder some day.

Also when they do your main run from the box to the house make sure they stay in the utility easement. This is something you think would be common sense but I had to make sure they did because I had seen and still see it done where they do the shortest route from A to B and it cuts through peoples back yard diagonally. So if they ever go to put a pool or anything in the yard they will have to have it rerun at their cost. I told them if I cant build in the utility easement then they sure as hell better keep the utilities in it. They wanted to charge me more because they had to use twice as much cable and had to increase the gauge but I don't remember if that was because of the length or extra 200s or both. Either way I didn't end up paying for it.Will add the (2) 220s to my list.

Yeah, the main electrical run is on my list as well. Toll Brothers will route accordingly to accommodate a future pool.

MJHSupra
02-07-2019, 07:10 PM
Can you elaborate on the hot water in the garage?

My one house did not have room in the garage for a utility sink, so I had the plumber run hot water to the garage so I could hook up a hose. Saves time from running in/out of the house and getting into the laundry room that was located on the opposite side of the house.

My last house had the utility sink. So no issues.

The ceiling outlets are great. I used that for fans and additional lighting.

For lighting, any custom home I built I could pick my lights for the garage.

Back when I built a house in ATL with a ‘track-builder’, they had limited light choices and too many rules on selection choices. So I put the cheapest lights I could pick, then replaced them after I moved in.

Never has a welder, but 220 is a great idea.

RC_Hinojosa
02-07-2019, 07:49 PM
My one house did not have room in the garage for a utility sink, so I had the plumber run hot water to the garage so I could hook up a hose. Saves time from running in/out of the house and getting into the laundry room that was located on the opposite side of the house.

My last house had the utility sink. So no issues.

I've always been a GoJo/Lava kinda guy but hot water in the garage would be nice.

sandm
02-07-2019, 08:44 PM
we are deciding between me being the general on our next house or going existing or toll brothers in a sub. lady at toll brothers told us their average client spends 100k in upgrades at the design center. as all these guys talk about what to add, just remember it all adds up. I would bet you have 10k just in electrical adds if you chalk up dual 220's and added switches/outlets especially if you jump to a 400amp service from 200.
I found with our last dr horton production house it was easier to go in and snap pics of the open walls and add what I wanted after the fact. running wire is not hard especially in a single level with a crawl. slab adds some complexity but not impossible. most of the new build houses are using cocoon insulation meaning it's in the trusses not on top of the ceiling so when you head up into the ceiling all the wall top plates are exposed making it a snap to add additional wiring. last time I checked a simple outlet was $150.
I made a mistake on the last house I general'ed. framers screwed up and framed for 9ft garage doors. I left them and didn't think much about it. I was used to paying 3k for pair of 9/18ft wide doors and openers. cost me 2.5k extra to jump to 9ft doors. expensive lesson.

RC_Hinojosa
02-08-2019, 09:41 AM
we are deciding between me being the general on our next house or going existing or toll brothers in a sub. lady at toll brothers told us their average client spends 100k in upgrades at the design center. as all these guys talk about what to add, just remember it all adds up.

I think it wouldn't be all that hard to drop 100k at the Toll Brothers design center so that's probably a pretty fair statement. (My wife is glued to their IG feed [emoji23])It can be easy to get carried away with level 4 this and level 6 that.

I think to us, the structural customizations are more important. Expanding the great room, adding a half bath, butler's pantry, making the 4th bedroom ensuite, adding dog wash, expanded cabana patio and of course raising the garage header.

Luckily for the community we'd be building in, most of the standard design features are pretty decent and they are offering a design incentive match up to 30K and 15K off lot premium. 30K will burn super fast but it's a decent chunk...hopefully that'll at least take care of the industrial kitchen upgrades [emoji28]

Shoebox
02-08-2019, 10:18 AM
A dog wash? What does that cost?

RC_Hinojosa
02-08-2019, 11:38 AM
A dog wash? What does that cost?I'm supposed to get the final pricing this afternoon from the project manager...I'm guessing like 3K.

RC_Hinojosa
03-04-2019, 09:23 AM
Survey has come out and pinned the lot...

The Craz should have a new garage in 9ish months [emoji16]
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190304/67bdb6a53a4c0bec62217d7c0fc46dac.jpg

TXSurf4
03-04-2019, 03:36 PM
Nice!! Congrats!! did you get everything arranged how you wanted?

RC_Hinojosa
03-04-2019, 03:54 PM
Nice!! Congrats!! did you get everything arranged how you wanted?Thanks!! The lot is on the edge of a corner Cul-de-Sac so when it was originally left hand lot, backing the trailer with a greenspace island in the way would have been a real pain. Flipping it to right hand lot fit will allow me to pull past the greenspace island and back right into the garage.

Yeah, we finalized our structural upgrades yesterday upon the lot getting pinned.

9ft garage header, extended great room, extended covered patio, extra half bath, mother-in-law suite, dog wash and a 12ft sliding glass wall that will lead out to patio.

....now we just gotta finish cleaning and get ready for our listing to go live on Friday....

Prepping a house for photos and staging is a helluva lot of work...FML [emoji28]

TXSurf4
03-04-2019, 03:56 PM
Thanks!! The lot is on the edge of a corner Cul-de-Sac so when it was originally left hand lot, backing the trailer with a greenspace island in the way would have been a real pain. Flipping it to right hand lot fit will allow me to pull past the greenspace island and back right into the garage.

Yeah, we finalized our structural upgrades yesterday upon the lot getting pinned.

9ft garage header, extended great room, extended covered patio, extra half bath, mother-in-law suite, dog wash and a 12ft sliding glass wall that will lead out to patio.

....now we just gotta finish cleaning and get ready for our listing to go live on Friday....

Prepping a house for photos and staging is a helluva lot of work...FML [emoji28]

Sounds like it will be an awesome place!

Ya listing is never fun.