PDA

View Full Version : Your dock wish list

freshturk
01-20-2019, 08:58 AM
Its been a few years since ive frequented this forum, but i always found it to be one of the more active in the community so posting this here hoping that hasn’t changed.

Finally getting on the lake on a home with a pretty decent existing dock that we’ll be adding a lift to as well as various other upgrades. However I’m posting to see if there were certain features that people LOVE that they added, HATE, that they added, or WISH they added.

We have a fairly long pier into drought resistant deep water, with a large U shaped floating dock with 12x28 slip with another floating 20x20 swim pad attached. Currently the dock only has power ran to the pier and no lift in place. Dock guy is coming Monday for an overall health inspection and to quote a host of ideas and upgrades. The floating slip is less than 2years old and in great shape. The pier has all new pylons yet the decking surface could use some work. Currently only has power to the end of the pier.

Our basic plan is to put a front mount float air 7k lift in, run power for the lift with an additional 2 outlets at the slip. Possibly redo pier decking depending on cost. In my experience with slips ive liked the round tire style guide bumpers on the corners but figured y’all may have better options. May increase the lift capacity to future proof the dock depending on cost.

Let’s hear the ideas

KnoxMojo
01-20-2019, 11:20 AM
Shade and seating. A big, lockable dock box so you don't have to take everything in the boat all the time. Lake life is great!

mikenehrkorn
01-20-2019, 03:15 PM
Shade and seating. A big, lockable dock box so you don't have to take everything in the boat all the time. Lake life is great!

+1 on all those plus some sort of lighting if you don’t already have it. Even the inexpensive solar lights can put off enough light to make a big difference.

cpropes2005
01-21-2019, 10:39 AM
If you will have visitors and there is potential for rough water at your dock then a set of dock whips is nice to prevent tied up boats from getting beat up. Maybe a jet ski lift or a spot for one in the future?

flienlow
01-21-2019, 12:46 PM
Wish List? A NEW DOCK. Our is a pile. Thinking about an aluminum one from Canada Dock or Something plastic by Shoremaster. I cant find any on either.

ghebert1111
01-22-2019, 09:53 AM
I put this up on one side of the dock to block morning sunlight. Has lasted 2 summers so far.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H6YNMAI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used these to install and started using them around the dock for other things as well as on the boat.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DPLM5YU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BigOrange
01-22-2019, 11:34 AM
When we bought our place the power for the lift had 2 points of disconnect on the shore. Both a breaker in a pole mounted breaker box and a physical plug in where I power the lift via an affixed extension cord (the breaker makes the pole mounted receptacle "live"). Although sometimes a pain to run up the ramp and say first 8 steps to the breaker/plug, I've come to appreciate double protection against possible electrical leakage into the water / shock drowning. We basically make the kids come out of the water anytime we need to power the lift. Otherwise, the breaker is off and cord unplugged. Obviously, this set up may differ if your distance from dock to shore is too long making it a nuisance to go plug in.

Also, for those with lights on their dock on a timer or solar lights that come on at dusk....does it increase bug issues? My personnel vendetta is against the spiders and other bugs at our dock. I spray regularly during warm months.

Mdavfx4
01-23-2019, 12:59 PM
When we bought our place the power for the lift had 2 points of disconnect on the shore. Both a breaker in a pole mounted breaker box and a physical plug in where I power the lift via an affixed extension cord (the breaker makes the pole mounted receptacle "live"). Although sometimes a pain to run up the ramp and say first 8 steps to the breaker/plug, I've come to appreciate double protection against possible electrical leakage into the water / shock drowning. We basically make the kids come out of the water anytime we need to power the lift. Otherwise, the breaker is off and cord unplugged. Obviously, this set up may differ if your distance from dock to shore is too long making it a nuisance to go plug in.

Also, for those with lights on their dock on a timer or solar lights that come on at dusk....does it increase bug issues? My personnel vendetta is against the spiders and other bugs at our dock. I spray regularly during warm months.

Amen to the protection against electrical shock. Maybe some type of alarm system that detects electricity in the water? I witnessed someone die this way, very serious and dangerous thing to mess with.

KG's Supra24
01-23-2019, 01:35 PM
Amen to the protection against electrical shock. Maybe some type of alarm system that detects electricity in the water? I witnessed someone die this way, very serious and dangerous thing to mess with.

We picked up a shock alert.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71925VnVqkL._SL1500_.jpg

TXSurf4
01-23-2019, 02:05 PM
We picked up a shock alert.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71925VnVqkL._SL1500_.jpg

Wow! That looks like a great product! Will definitely be picking one of these up.

MJHSupra
01-23-2019, 09:28 PM
Great idea. Sad to ready about these TN stories each summer of kids jumping off boats (mostly house boats) and drowning b/c of electric shock.

jgriffn
02-01-2019, 09:41 PM
I would suggest doing a larger capacity lift if you can, next boat may need it. My new se550 is 6150 dry so with fuel and gear will be over the 7k. Then like others have said, seating and extra protection for other boats is nice.