PDA

View Full Version : Not happy

flienlow
01-15-2019, 02:22 PM
All of my boats have been Skiers Choice Products. Today I contacted a dealer to inquire about yet another Skiers Choice boat I like that they have in Stock. I was told they Would/Could not sell to me because I was not local to them. In other words, my only choice is to use 1 local dealer that does not have anything I want. I have been a loyal Customer, but Since Skiers Choice will not allow me to purchase one of their Boats, I will probably be going elsewhere now perhaps an Axis.

mattsask
01-15-2019, 02:44 PM
All brands have dealer regions, that's not something specific to skiers choice. Your local dealer should be able to work something out with the dealer in question to get you that boat. Talk to both dealers, then go to skiers directly.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

flienlow
01-15-2019, 02:49 PM
This makes no sense to me. Why should I have to supplicate a local dealer, or let them add their mark up to a boat? They are not that fantastic in the first place which is why I do not feel obligated to use them in the first place. Not to mention my current boat was purchased out of network. If the local guy chooses to A. Not have any boats to sell, and B. Charges a premium margin on it, then they should be free to do so, just as I should be free to buy where I find what I want.

996scott
01-15-2019, 02:51 PM
That seems strange to me, I know dealers have their regions but why wouldn't they sell a boat to anyone regardless of where they live? Just like buying a car.

mattsask
01-15-2019, 02:55 PM
That's just the way it is, and like I said, not specific to skiers. Is this your first NEW boat purchase or has your local dealer just had a better stock of boats in past years? I'm surprised you're just finding this out now.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

jason1973
01-15-2019, 03:24 PM
Something isn't right. I bought my boat from a dealer 2 hours from me and i have another dealer who i would NEVER buy from just 20 min away. I encountered NO PROBLEMS. Both were happy to work with me on pricing. This is America the last time i checked, you can buy were you want. And yes, i bought a Moomba.

In fact when i was looking at Axis, i had dealers from 3 separate states trying to sell me a boat. They all knew where i lived because i provided my address on some of the inquiry forms. Tommy's in Michigan is still trying to sell me a boat. I don't live in Michigan and there are lots of Axis dealers in my state.

Sorry, but this shouldn't be happening. I could only imagine if i walked into a car dealership to by a truck and they said no, you have a dealer thats only 4 miles from your house and we are 25 miles away.. it would NEVER happen. Especially if you looking at inventory.

and i don't agree with "this is the way it is".. i have never had that problem with a boat, snowmobile, car, truck, fishing boat, jetski, or ATV. I buy from who i want to work with. I base it on dealer reputation, pricing and service and not once in my lifetime have i ever encountered this. There are different dealerships for a reason. Some are good, some suck. The ones that suck go out of business and that doesn't leave you protected. I would be outraged and not take no for an answer.

Dtbradly
01-15-2019, 03:30 PM
i ran into this many times looking at new Moombas. Seems there is just a gentleman's agreement in place. they will sometimes get approval from the local dealer to work with you or the local dealer is happy to transfer it in. i found that if the local dealer didn't have the model then it was pretty simple to work with someone else.

996scott
01-15-2019, 03:44 PM
I have never bought a new boat from a dealer but this just blows my mind... I always figured when i was ready to buy new i would contact multiple dealers and see who could give me the best price.

Dtbradly
01-15-2019, 04:11 PM
Nope and you have to jump through so many hoops to get the price unless you show up at their door step. seems like only a couple dealers in the entire country don't put "Call For Price" on every single boat

dakota4ce
01-15-2019, 04:12 PM
Did you mention to them you’re not interested in buying from the local dealer?

Usually lots of room to make a deal involving one or both parties.

I certainly would not be “angry” about it. Just find the path that works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC_Hinojosa
01-15-2019, 04:40 PM
All of my boats have been Skiers Choice Products. Today I contacted a dealer to inquire about yet another Skiers Choice boat I like that they have in Stock. I was told they Would/Could not sell to me because I was not local to them. In other words, my only choice is to use 1 local dealer that does not have anything I want. I have been a loyal Customer, but Since Skiers Choice will not allow me to purchase one of their Boats, I will probably be going elsewhere now perhaps an Axis.

I won't be the first nor the last to tell you the move to Axis would be purely out of spite and a decision you'd regret the moment you sat in it.

It's January, if your local dealer doesn't have what you want, get a build slot and get EXACTLY what you want. Thread\

Stazi
01-15-2019, 05:34 PM
I also leap-frogged my local SC dealer as they REFUSED to even drop $1 off their asking price for a boat I wanted that they had in stock, so I did a 6hr round trip to get the same boat in a different color from another dealer in my state.
Problem is some dealers are in areas where they have a captive audience so they get complacent and refuse to make deals because all they need to do is wait for another dumb-dumb who has more dollars than sense to come by and pay asking price because they either have too much money or are too lazy to shop around.

Sucks for educated buyers like us who know what we want and what it’s worth.

With that being said, another dealer should sell you the boat you want if you have the money and roll up to buy it.

Yes, there are “sales territories” that dealers are supposed to stick to and not troll other dealers territories, but for someone to refuse to sell you a boat cos you’re not in his territory is ridiculous.

Frankly that is bordering on antitrust violations!

sandm
01-15-2019, 06:30 PM
I found when shopping for my last new boat that dealers will sell to you out of territory if you ask. there's always a "way" to get around it...

BUT don't expect the dealer you stiffed to want to take care of you in any way shape or form. you will always be the end of the service line and could miss part of the season. warranty help just went out the door if it's a questionable claim or something you need extra attention on.

never hurts to ask. and if it was my coin no way I'd be shopping axis over moomba. you will be back :)

flienlow
01-15-2019, 06:35 PM
I also leap-frogged my local SC dealer as they REFUSED to even drop $1 off their asking price for a boat I wanted that they had in stock, so I did a 6hr round trip to get the same boat in a different color from another dealer in my state.
Problem is some dealers are in areas where they have a captive audience so they get complacent and refuse to make deals because all they need to do is wait for another dumb-dumb who has more dollars than sense to come by and pay asking price because they either have too much money or are too lazy to shop around.

Sucks for educated buyers like us who know what we want and what it’s worth.

With that being said, another dealer should sell you the boat you want if you have the money and roll up to buy it.

Yes, there are “sales territories” that dealers are supposed to stick to and not troll other dealers territories, but for someone to refuse to sell you a boat cos you’re not in his territory is ridiculous.

Frankly that is bordering on antitrust violations!

They stated they cannot sell to me because they would risk losing their dealership. I can't fault those guys. If I was the business owner I would not want to lose my dealership either. I had this happen to me before but that was a case of another dealer being in cahoots with our local guy. "If you buy from us, you're buying from Charley, so you might as well go see Charley." - type thing.
Regardless of any of this, I adamantly refuse to be forced to support ANYONE out of sheer principle alone. Furthermore, I would like Skiers Choice to address this matter.

Stazi
01-15-2019, 06:41 PM
They stated they cannot sell to me because they would risk losing their dealership. I can't fault those guys. If I was the business owner I would not want to lose my dealership either. I had this happen to me before but that was a case of another dealer being in cahoots with our local guy. "If you buy from us, you're buying from Charley, so you might as well go see Charley." - type thing.
Regardless of any of this, I adamantly refuse to be forced to support ANYONE out of sheer principle alone. Furthermore, I would like Skiers Choice to address this matter.

Losing their dealership by selling you a boat is horseshit. I would give them an ultimatum; sell me a boat or I’m jumping brands.

PS Axis quality and features blow in comparison to Moomba and especially Supra, these days.

MJHSupra
01-15-2019, 06:52 PM
I found when shopping for my last new boat that dealers will sell to you out of territory if you ask. there's always a "way" to get around it...

BUT don't expect the dealer you stiffed to want to take care of you in any way shape or form. you will always be the end of the service line and could miss part of the season. warranty help just went out the door if it's a questionable claim or something you need extra attention on.

never hurts to ask. and if it was my coin no way I'd be shopping axis over moomba. you will be back :)

^^^ This is what I will heard from SC also. Yes, you can get around it. But what happens with warranty work - per what I was told

Assume I buy a boat from the local dealer
You buy a boat from a different dealer.
We both take our boats back to the same local dealer to get warranty work. Who do you think goes first?
Not saying that dealer will not work on your boat.

SC wants you have the relationship with the local dealer. Sounds like your local dealer is getting you off on the wrong-foot for a new boat purchase.

And the margins are different on dealers b/c of the volumes they sell into. Supply and Demand.

Current year (New) boats and last-year (hold-overs) models are treated different.

larry_arizona
01-15-2019, 06:55 PM
Yeah I don’t like the idea that you can’t go to any dealer you want.

Like Stazi said, it is anti trust like.

Ironically Stazi and I had the opposite experiences with the same two dealers.

So it seems on any given deal, your results may vary.

But at no time was I aware that dealers were regional.

The local Malibu dealer is downright awful and was taken over by Tommy’s last year. I have heard it’s not much improved.

I think Tommy’s bought the other Michigan bu dealers so you are kinda stuck.

But like anything, shop and work your best deal and if a dealer refused to sell, then I would pick another brand.

wired1236
01-15-2019, 07:32 PM
I ran into this as well but my manufacture and results were a little different. I was looking at the Moomba line but ended up with a Tige (sorry for that but I still watch this forum once in s while).

My local dealer didn’t have what I wanted either so I went 2 hrs away to one that did. I also had a feeling just based on their inventory that my local dealer was not going to be a Tige dealer much longer and I confirmed that at the boat show (3 months later). That being said, I know the dealer from who I bought from did mention the issue of me being in another’s territory but given all the circumstances, it wasn’t a problem. However, I believe Tige would have worked out a deal for all parties involved regardless.

It should be all about customer service and a fair deal to all. If you don’t like the local dealer, move on.

Matt0520
01-15-2019, 07:58 PM

Find another dealer and call them about the boat you want, ask them if they would entertain transferring that inventory. Then call your local dealer with that info, and give them a shot so you can work together. The relationship will be worth it long term and I would think they'd appreciate the opportunity to make a sale while also getting you what you want.

From what I've seen though, the geography has to make sense and I doubt dealers will transfer 2019s around. So you'd need to get lucky and find a '17 or '18 leftover. No idea what they do with used boats.

Stazi
01-15-2019, 08:32 PM
Transferring inventory seems ridiculous and unnecessary and just asking for more “dealer handling fees”. Screw that. Call another dealer and tell them that the local dealer sucks and you want to buy XYZ boat and ask them if they will sell it to you. My buddy just bought a Malibu and was getting offers from all over the state and country, so if someone feeds you a line about not being able to sell you a boat; move on, because it’s horseshit. I know I bought “out of area” myself.

DFTR Josh
01-15-2019, 08:54 PM
How the hell has this escalated? It's mid January, how is building what you want not an option?

Broke Pilot
01-15-2019, 09:01 PM
Warranty work is warranty work, the dealer shouldn’t care where the boat is from, SC is paying the bill. So who cares.
Saying you have to go to the dealer you bought from is ridiculous. What if I bought from Rinkers and move? You think the local dealer is gonna be any less happy? They’re not gonna tell me to go back to Houston. If anything along those lines happened I’d drop skiers choice so fast no matter what. You stand behind your product, brand and dealers. Period.
If not I’ll find one that does.

sandm
01-15-2019, 10:58 PM
How the hell has this escalated? It's mid January, how is building what you want not an option?

guessing that the dealer a ways away has the boat that he likes and probably offering a better deal on it than one would get building.

Tinker has gotten involved in a few of these issues in the past and maybe a district territory manager could make a quick phone call to help resolve this and keep him in the family.

jmvotto
01-15-2019, 11:40 PM
I believe its on on new models that are out, holdovers and used boats dont matter unless the rules have changed . I did the same thing wanted a new boat in inventory from michigan and they were willing to deal inventory with my NY dealer , funny we were able to build my 12 xlv exactly the way i wanted it at the right price. Talk to the local dealer they will work with you if they want the sale

MJHSupra
01-16-2019, 12:13 AM
From Rick Tinker - and I know Drew has said the same thing on Facebook.

There was a discussion on the same subject. If you want to find it, search for territory.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/178634249208729/search/?query=territory&epa=SEARCH_BOX

"Any dealer can sell a boat to any customer. If your boat is going to serviced by another dealer, that is closer to you we encourage you to purchase the boat from that local dealer to provide you the best and timeliness of service(Yes, our dealers are required to service any of our models sold regardless of where they purchased it, but we cannot control where you fit in that service line in comparison to that local dealers customers). It is normal for dealers to exchange boats if there is a certain type or color of boat you have found at another location. If i can be of any assistance in this regard just PM me here. Ric"

MJHSupra
01-16-2019, 12:19 AM
Try the email in Post #7 of this thread: [email protected]

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?32371-Surf-Tab-Cracking-Hull

Drew helps out a lot of people.

SelinHook
01-16-2019, 07:31 AM
I am sorry for you, man. This is not how they should do business.

DFTR Josh
01-16-2019, 11:11 AM
guessing that the dealer a ways away has the boat that he likes and probably offering a better deal on it than one would get building.

Tinker has gotten involved in a few of these issues in the past and maybe a district territory manager could make a quick phone call to help resolve this and keep him in the family.

This is an easy fix and it might take from his dealers profits. I went and did a demo for a customer that was 6 hours of drive time. Everything went great, he ended up building out of state since it was cheaper. I was a little flustered especially when he called and asked for help since he couldn't get the wave I could. I sucked it up and helped him and he's a happy Skiers Choice owner, but it was a kick in the balls.

sandm
01-16-2019, 12:21 PM
man josh, that takes some big cajones to ask you to demo and buy out of state but even bigger to ask for help dialing in the wave....

I do have to say tho that depending on the price savings, I would go out of state if the money was significant enough. a grand, probably not. 5k I'll enjoy the drive to pick up my new toy. some dealers get that and some really don't care and for those that choose not to play the pricing game, they should not be surprised/upset if their business goes out of area.

flienlow
01-16-2019, 01:20 PM
To answer a few questions.
I buy my straw hats in the winter and a Boat/Car/Tractor/Airplane (whatever) I have found are all less money when sitting on a dealers lot. It's just the way it is. If something doesn't have a the big features I want, I walk. I also don't need a fully pimped out boat.

DFTR- That customer was a tool. If I bought the boat from you, for sure I would consult you over the phone. I would not expect you to assist if I went elsewhere. But with that said, the seed you plant today, may reap you a harvest in the future. - you never know.

flienlow
01-16-2019, 02:17 PM
I just got off the phone with Skiers Choice and this matter has been cleared up.

Takeaways:
- You can buy a boat from anyone you like.
- Your local dealer is NOT obligated to service a boat you buy elsewhere.

kaneboats
01-16-2019, 02:20 PM
My wife's a realtor. It amazes her how her "good" friends will list their houses with other realtors. A couple have called her for advice about this or that after listing with someone else. She tells them, "It wouldn't be appropriate for me to discuss that with you. You should call your realtor."

MJHSupra
01-16-2019, 02:51 PM
I just got off the phone with Skiers Choice and this matter has been cleared up.

Takeaways:

Sounds like that 2nd point could be interesting - depending on your dealer.

larry_arizona
01-16-2019, 03:25 PM
Automotive, boat, motorsports dealers really need impress me to earn my business.

Starts with a fair deal, follow up on the sale, service etc.

Fail at any of them and dealers won’t be around long.

Dealers can’t survive on one time sales.

That said, I have yet to find an Automotive dealer worth a shit, luckily I have an OEM discount which makes buying easy. But I refuse to take vehicles in for service because they all suck.

Motorsports dealers are typically worse than automotive dealers. Every dealer I have bought snowmobiles or jet skis from are now out of business.

My Supra dealer so far so good. My first boat purchase so time will tell.

DFTR Josh, I give you props for helping that customer especially after he pimped you. Tells me a lot about the level of service you provide.

I personally would have told that guy to pound sand.

zabooda
01-16-2019, 06:12 PM
SC needs to check the box: unfair labor practice. Any business that tells someone they can't buy from them but to go back to their homies will probably be investigated and if you are a person of color that interaction may be on the evening news. Just sayin. I doubt for a minute that SC has documented that practice.

Stazi
01-16-2019, 07:16 PM
SC needs to check the box: unfair labor practice. Any business that tells someone they can't buy from them but to go back to their homies will probably be investigated and if you are a person of color that interaction may be on the evening news. Just sayin. I doubt for a minute that SC has documented that practice.

No....that smells awfully like an anti-trust violation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zabooda
01-16-2019, 07:51 PM
You're right. After thinking about it.

Matt0520
01-16-2019, 08:40 PM

Takeaways:

Wow that second point is really interesting. Wish vendors protected me like this with my business.

brad460
01-16-2019, 09:18 PM

Takeaways:

They actually told you the local dealer is not obligated to service the boat..You mean provide warranty repairs? Any dealer turning away service work is an idiot.

Regarding warranty- there are laws regulating (protecting customers) (Magnuson-Moss) and so I would be surprised if any dealer would/could refuse to perform warranty service. Dealers get paid to perform warranty anyways, so again why would a local dealer turn you away?

What if you move out of state..the new local dealer has the right to refuse to perform warranty on your boat? What of you moved across the country..

My point is, whoever you talked to at S.C. is misinformed...

Broke Pilot
01-16-2019, 09:30 PM
^^ that’s exactly what I said... lol
If that’s how SC is gonna operate, I can guarantee uou my next boat will not be SC. That’s heartbreaking to hear.
Guess I’ll be looking back into centurion or a G when the time comes.
Centurion tried to do everything possible to get me in a boat in Dallas since we have no dealers in Houston. Even offered a pick up and delivery for service and warranty work! At the end of the day it was a battle I didn’t want to fight, and I really like the Supra better.
But if SC won’t stand behind the consumer who pays their bills and bitch slap any dealer who interferes... I don’t want to be affiliated with them.

flienlow
01-16-2019, 09:40 PM
They actually told you the local dealer is not obligated to service the boat..You mean provide warranty repairs? Any dealer turning away service work is an idiot.

Regarding warranty- there are laws regulating (protecting customers) (Magnuson-Moss) and so I would be surprised if any dealer would/could refuse to perform warranty service. Dealers get paid to perform warranty anyways, so again why would a local dealer turn you away?

What if you move out of state..the new local dealer has the right to refuse to perform warranty on your boat? What of you moved across the country..

My point is, whoever you talked to at S.C. is misinformed...

Regional Sales Manager for the Northwest.

Now then... that does NOT mean they will not service your boat. It means they are NOT OBLIGATED to do so (yes warranty repairs.) And yes, dealerships would be dumb not too. I mean factory Pay? C'mon. But having said that, if there are 10 loyal customers with boats that need to be serviced, I would think they get in before you do if you don't buy from them which would make perfect sense. SC also wants to ensure their Customers are locally supported which is where this gray area all starts. I think the support model on boats is a bit different than say a car. With that said, that is why SC would prefer you buy local. (at least this is way I understood the conversation I had.)

brad460
01-16-2019, 09:47 PM
Sales Managers don’t know crap about service/warranty...Let him stick to sales.

Any Moomba dealer would be required to perform warranty repairs in compliance with your expressed limited warranty. I can assure you the warranty document with the boat will not specify you need to use only the dealer you bought from for your warranty to be valid..that is illegal.

Anyways, don’t fret and buy the boat. Be sure to post pics!

MJHSupra
01-17-2019, 02:01 AM

So what is your plan now?

DFTR Josh
01-17-2019, 02:08 AM
DFTR Josh, I give you props for helping that customer especially after he pimped you. Tells me a lot about the level of service you provide.

Your business ain't nothing without customer service :) I feel Supra has some of the best customer service and followed up by outstanding dealers across the USA.

patrick232
01-17-2019, 10:26 AM
I think it has to do more with the dealers than than SC. Before we ordered our Mondo in 2014 we demoed in Knoxville and priced it out at that dealer and our Ohio dealer. While we owned that boat it was serviced by both dealers as would my current boat. This is due to them both being great dealers. I was upfront about the deal the whole time and my wife Deanna made the point for ordering from Sea Ray, was at that pont in our life the boat spent more days in Ohio than TN. One of these days the boat may stay in TN and that will change the selling dealer possibly.

Dtbradly
01-17-2019, 10:55 AM
My experience is that i have been thoroughly unimpressed by boat dealers. not sure if its the good economy, lack of competition, or what but the few dealers i have dealt with were terrible. People not returning phone calls, not knowing about their inventory, quality of repair. Always walk out thinking i could make a killing if i became a dealer because the bar is set so low.

Automotive, boat, motorsports dealers really need impress me to earn my business.

Starts with a fair deal, follow up on the sale, service etc.

Fail at any of them and dealers won’t be around long.

Dealers can’t survive on one time sales.

That said, I have yet to find an Automotive dealer worth a shit, luckily I have an OEM discount which makes buying easy. But I refuse to take vehicles in for service because they all suck.

Motorsports dealers are typically worse than automotive dealers. Every dealer I have bought snowmobiles or jet skis from are now out of business.

My Supra dealer so far so good. My first boat purchase so time will tell.

jph3
01-17-2019, 11:17 AM
Most manufacturers are the same though... I assisted in purchasing a couple G23's from out of state - local dealer has a wrap sheet a mile long for all the wrong reasons. He now refuses to service these boats at all, or provide parts. Its a mess.

I would always be willing to give the local dealer the business, as long as they are reasonable/knowledgeable and understand we are in the age of the internet with their pricing strategy!

sandm
01-17-2019, 01:12 PM
I assisted in purchasing a couple G23's from out of state - local dealer has a wrap sheet a mile long for all the wrong reasons. He now refuses to service these boats at all, or provide parts. Its a mess.

wait. customer refuses to buy a boat from a dealer that is shady/unethical/jerk. whatever the reason. now refuses to service boat that customer is bringing to same said dealer that didn't want to buy from in the first place? if you choose to play the pricing game/hate the dealer/like a different dealer and go elsewhere, have a game plan for what you are going to do to get it serviced.

I have to agree with most that dealers make a good living off service and most should want to service a boat for the money but as a small business owner I should be able to refuse service to anyone- remember the story about the gay couple not being able to get a cake in denver- and now the above customers got what they asked for.

flienlow
01-17-2019, 03:50 PM
So what is your plan now?

Probably stop pissin' and crying and buy a new Moomba? :) ...We'll see.

brad460
01-17-2019, 04:44 PM
wait. customer refuses to buy a boat from a dealer that is shady/unethical/jerk. whatever the reason. now refuses to service boat that customer is bringing to same said dealer that didn't want to buy from in the first place? if you choose to play the pricing game/hate the dealer/like a different dealer and go elsewhere, have a game plan for what you are going to do to get it serviced.

I have to agree with most that dealers make a good living off service and most should want to service a boat for the money but as a small business owner I should be able to refuse service to anyone- remember the story about the gay couple not being able to get a cake in denver- and now the above customers got what they asked for.

The dealer is too shady to buy a new boat from, but dude is willing to let them service it?! Wtf...Something sounds fishy here...or a little like bulls**t.

MJHSupra
01-17-2019, 05:47 PM
Probably stop pissin' and crying and buy a new Moomba? :) ...We'll see.

Ha ha. Pick your color, buy some add’l ballast, and buy a MAX. You will be surfing away and forget about all of this stuff.

Once you make some wake friends on the lake, in a few years you will find you want a different model.

The MAX is a great price point.

jph3
01-17-2019, 08:52 PM
The dealer is too shady to buy a new boat from, but dude is willing to let them service it?! Wtf...Something sounds fishy here...or a little like bulls**t.

Lot to the story... but PCM was willing to ship a part to the dealer, and he wouldn’t accept it since it wasn’t his boat. Most of you guys have lots of dealer options... but when your boat is at lake Powell, and you live 4 hours from the closest dealer, you don’t really have options.

Fishy enough for you? Or just bull$1t.

My point is that lots of dealers (from every manufacturer) feel like they are the only one to hold the cards.

schwan
01-17-2019, 11:38 PM
I tried to buy an out of state max for a good deal last fall, cash in hand, that dealer didn't want to do it... I was frustrated too. Kind of felt like I was stuck in a box, not that I didn't like my dealer, they just really weren't willing to budge on price...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk